Start by marking “The Masters: Golf, Money, and Power in Augusta, Georgia” as Want to Read:
The Masters: Golf, Money, and Power in Augusta, Georgia

The Masters: Golf, Money, and Power in Augusta, Georgia

3.82  ·  Rating details ·  240 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
The Masters golf tournament weaves a hypnotic spell. It is the toughest ticket in sports, with black-market tickets selling for $10,000 and more. Success at Augusta National breeds legends, while failure can overshadow even the most brilliant of careers. But as Curt Sampson, author of the bestselling Hogan, reveals in The Masters, a cold heart beats behind the warm antebel ...more
Published March 16th 1999 by Villard (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about The Masters, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Masters

guillaume philippe choquet
Mar 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great book !Take you behind the curtains of this institution Augusta as become, from the American civil war to the creation of the course and finally what it as become today a tournament everyone recognises even none golfers.
Jeff Edgens
Nov 30, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sports
The Masters is two things at once – a disquisition on the social inequality of controlling white “masters” of the Augusta National and the City of Augusta itself. Then there is The Masters championship which separates the invited golf masters from the uninvited almost champions for the exclusive tournament. Sampson begins with how Augusta National sprung up from a former plant nursery to become an exclusive golf mecca for the well-heeled from all over the country. And how two men –one a northern ...more
Denise
Dec 17, 2010 rated it liked it
This is an interesting read but is a bit outdated and the writing style can be distracting. Seems like the author assumes the reader already knows a lot about golf. I read this book because I lived in Augusta, Georgia but am not a native but rather moved there in connection with the military.

Candid portrait of Cliff Roberts who was the genius and devil behind the club and tournament. I love the Masters and have attened a numbe of times. This book tarnishes the polish a bit but there are still pl
Nicole Conlan
Apr 22, 2016 rated it liked it
I enjoyed this because I'm a golfer, but if I weren't, I don't think I would have liked it nearly as much. The writing is lovely in some places and REALLY made me roll my eyes in others. Curt Sampson definitely tries to romanticize the past in a way that feels a little ham-fisted. The book is a little dated - it was first published in the 90s, and it shows. But if you like golf, it's an interesting look behind the scenes and I don't regret reading it.
Nick
Apr 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
Fascinating history of the Augusta National Golf Club, and to a lesser extent the area around it. Tons of things I didn't know that I wish I read before going last week! Oh well.
A quick read, this one ends sooner than you'd like it to. There needs to be an updated edition with the past 15 or 20 years covered.
I will warn any reader though that the course will lose a tiny bit of its luster by the time you finish reading this, so beware!

Richard Lister
Jul 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
If you've ever wondered about the blue bloods who are and have been a part of the Augusta National Golf Club, this is your book. Curt Sampson beautifully lays out the vision that Bobby Jones and Clifford Roberts held for the course they would create on an abandoned Augusta, Georgia nursery. The club's evolution along with its tournament is something anyone who has been glued to the Saturday and Sunday rounds of the Masters would want to discover. This book is the place to do just that.
Henry
Jan 14, 2016 rated it it was ok
I compare this to "Ball Four", in that it was salacious when first published, but more "yawn" as time elapsed from publication. I guess i just expected something i hadn't heard before. I had the same feeling after finishing "Ball Four"
Major Doug
Mar 06, 2013 rated it liked it
Listened to this book: good information; less than optimal narration = told better stories than 'Augusta', but in a poorer fashion.
Benny
Nov 06, 2012 added it
loved it
Frank Ogden
Jun 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is an excellent history of the Masters. Sampson takes you back to the very beginning. He also explains how the club continues to flourish.
Evan Kirby
Jul 31, 2015 rated it really liked it
A fascinating read on how the Masters came to be and all the finagling, corruption and power behind the greatest tournament in the world.
Kyle Porter
Sep 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
5 stars...granted I'd read Arabic if it was about Augusta.
Masuma
  • Missing Links
  • The Match: The Day the Game of Golf Changed Forever
  • Golf My Way
  • Final Rounds: A Father, a Son, the Golf Journey of a Lifetime
  • Tommy's Honor: The Story of Old Tom Morris and Young Tom Morris, Golf's Founding Father and Son
  • Golf Is a Game of Confidence
  • Harvey Penick's Little Red Book: Lessons and Teachings From a Lifetime of Golf
  • Bud, Sweat & Tees: A Walk on the Wild Side of the PGA Tour
  • The Greatest Player Who Never Lived: A Golf Story
  • Arnie and Jack: Palmer, Nicklaus, and Golf's Greatest Rivalry
  • Dave Pelz's Short Game Bible: Master the Finesse Swing and Lower Your Score (Dave Pelz Scoring Game)
Curt Sampson, golf professional turned golf writer, came to golf the old-fashioned way—as a caddie. He looped for his father for a few years on summer Saturday’s, then turned pro, in a manner of speaking, at age 12, as one of the scores of disheveled boys and men in the caddie pen at Lake Forest Country Club in Hudson, Ohio. His golf game developed from sneaking on LFCC at twilight, an occasionall ...more
More about Curt Sampson...