Start by marking “The Prince of Shadow (Seven Brothers, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Prince of Shadow (Seven Brothers, #1)

The Prince of Shadow

(Seven Brothers #1)

This first novel in a magnificent new fantasy series draws upon the rich legends, cultures, and traditions of the East to create an epic tale of kingdoms invaded, nobles enslaved, and a young man's desperate quest to find his family and to face the challenge of a destiny which may be beyond any mortal's power to fulfill....

Llesho was seven when the Harn invade his family's
Published September 3rd 2002 by Daw Books (first published September 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about The Prince of Shadow, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Prince of Shadow

✩Anna✩
Made it about 60% through before I finally gave up. There was just nothing special about this book that made me want to keep reading. Main character was a bit of a Mary Sue. Overall, pretty boring.
Kassilem
Nov 23, 2018 rated it it was ok
I liked this story a lot until about 150 pages in. Then it started to go bad. Tons of editing errors. Tons of redundant sentences, but worst of all the story just stopped making any sense. It began to contradict itself, and run in circles. I stopped really caring about Llesho pretty quickly. He was too flaky a character, with no grounding aspects. About halfway through I just gave up and skimmed the rest of the story. Sometimes when I do that I end up skipping sections and reading the interestin ...more
Evan Peterson
Jan 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Standard fantasy set in the middle of a vaguely oriental medieval universe. This one starts out with the orphaned slave boy escaping to find his destiny.
... If you can stick with it and ignore the bad editing, this series has an ending that will make you rethink the whole series though. Was it really just a standard fantasy..or something completely different?
The first book is good, the second slogs a bit and gets repetitive, the third picks up a bit and sheds new light on the genre.
Yasmín
Aug 22, 2012 rated it liked it
Distinto a lo que suelo leer. Tiene un aire oriental que me encantó, pero la redaccion del autor deja bastante que desear. No se entiende bien y las imagenes no se logran formar del todo, menos las de los combates. Los personajes suelen interpretar mas de lo que no dicen... si preguntaran sería todo mas facil de entender y seguir. Faltan dialogos o algo que te permita entender un poco mas lo que se espera de Lesho...
Los personajes bien formados con un aire de misterio atrapante. Me hubiese gusta
Stephen
Jan 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was an easy read, and the eastern influences were refreshing after so many Euro-centric fantasy novels. I really liked the easy way everything was introduced and the way things were hinted at and then revealed. There were some minor pacing problems near the end with too much time spent on Llesho's internal conflict regarding his feelings that his friends shouldn't sacrifice themselves for him.

One nice thing about this book is that gay people exist and are treated largely as just regular pe
Chasbhawk
Oct 27, 2012 rated it liked it
Decent start to a series. Being a sword and sorcery aficionado, I wanted to experience an "Eastern" flavor to such a series. Have tried the David Weber Middle Kingdom series, but bogged down there. Here the concepts were fine, if unimaginative. Just didn't get enough explanation of the geography (e.g. a map?), the spiritual involvement was not well explained, nor how the "bad" guy was quite so prodigious in his ability when he was previously stuck in a backwater of a large continent. Too many ev ...more
Carla
May 27, 2013 rated it liked it
Though I don't feel any immediate need to write a review of this book, I will say that it reminded me a bit of Avatar the Last Air Bender. The setting, tone, quest, and many of the characters left me with this impression. People who enjoy Avatar will likely enjoy this book.

Over all, I rather enjoyed my experience with this book. Like many books, it was not perfect, but it was not noticeably bad either. I will absolutely be moving on to the next book in the future.
Camille
Jan 29, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy-asst
I picked up this book because it is an Asian based fantasy novel. I have long thought that the elegant and complex Asian Mythos would wook very well as a basis for fantasy fiction. I was not disapointed with this adaptation. Of course my favorite part was the intorduction of the dragons. Western dragons are alright, but Chinese water dragons are my favorite. I wish more fantasy would go this direction. I am looking forward to the next installment.
T J
May 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
A young slave pearl-diver finds himself, trying to do the impossible, with unlikely companions to assist. Curt Benjamin is a new writer to me but I love his style of storytelling, his writing pulled me right in and this is book full of high adventure and mysteries. Now on to book 2: The Prince of Dreams.
Dawn
Apr 28, 2011 rated it it was ok
I found this book to be both too slow and too fast. Either taking what seemed a very long time to get through something boring or speeding through a section that could or even should have taken longer, both in pages or timeline.
I felt like the story was a bit more on the legend side of storytelling and, in this case at least, I didn’t find it engaging.
Farhana Faruq
May 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
I found the read a little slow paced, however I did enjoy the storyline.

I would have given it four stars and wouldn't have considered reading Part 2 if it wasn't for the ending. I loved how everything came together and all the unexpected details.
Darren
Jan 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
I'm re-reading this series. I didn't remember much about it, but I did remember liking it a lot. And I still do. The main character is enjoyable to read about, although a bit dense. Master Den is awesome.
Anna
May 04, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi-fantasy
I picked up this book at random, so had no preconceived notions. I thoroughly enjoyed it. The characters are complex and well developed, which rarely happens at the same time. The world building is subtly done. I care about what happens to the main character. I want to read the next.
Shady Lubbad
Mar 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book...
M.H.
Jul 31, 2014 rated it really liked it
i love finding a new author whose work I enjoy; this certainly falls in that category. I can't wait to get my hands on the next book in the series!
Liam Johnstone
An interesting book. A fantasy novel with an asian flavour. I tried getting into the second one and didn't enjoy it as much. I'll give it another try someday, though.
Morgan
Aug 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Amazingly done...kept me from my physics hw....woops
Andria Potter
Oct 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite fantasy series. Highly recommended!
Craig
Feb 20, 2016 rated it it was ok
Good effort. Something lacking for me at the time of the reading.
Ashley
Dec 15, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
It started off great, then dwindled. I got bored towards the middle of The Prince of Shadow. It wasn't a bad book I enjoyed it for the most part. If I could give out half stars this would get a 2.5
Kyle Galbraith
Roni Shamay
Jan 05, 2017
Liz
Oct 25, 2014

• The King's Own (Borderlands, #2)
  • The Sleeping God (Dhulyn and Parno, #1)
  • Wizard of the Winds (Tales of the Timuras, #1)
  • Devlin's Luck (Sword of Change, #1)
  • The Skewed Throne (Throne of Amenkor, #1)
  • The River Kings' Road (Ithelas, #1)
  • Jerlayne
  • Inheritance (Keys of Power. Book 1)
  • Revelation (Rai-Kirah, #2)
  • The Eyes of God (The Bronze Knight, #1)
  • The Initiate Brother (Initiate Brother, #1)
  • Children of Chaos (Dodec, #1)
  • The Wraiths of Will and Pleasure (Wraeththu Histories, #1)
  • The Tyranny of the Night (Instrumentalities of the Night, #1)
  • Children of Amarid (Lon Tobyn Chronicle #1)
  • The Hidden Queen (Anghara Kir Hama, #1)
  • Lady in Gil (Gil Trilogy, #1)
  • The Silver Lake (Warriors of Estavia, #1)
Curt Benjamin is a pseudonym used by an author who normally writes contemporary fantasy. He has a degree in art from Antioch University. In his spare time, he is a designer and children's illustrator.

Seven Brothers (3 books)
  • The Prince of Dreams (Seven Brothers, #2)
  • The Gates of Heaven (Seven Brothers, #3)