Start by marking “More Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark” as Want to Read:
More Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark

More Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark

(Scary Stories #2)

All those who enjoyed shuddering their way through Alvin Schwartz's first volume of Scary Stories To Tell In The Dark will find a satisfyingly spooky sequel in this new collection of the macabre, the funny, and the fantastic.Is it possible to die -- and not know it? What if a person is buried too soon? What happens to a thief foolish enough to rob a corpse, or to a murdere ...more
Published August 21st 1986 by Harper & Row (first published 1984)

To ask other readers questions about More Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark, please sign up.
Sophia I don't think so but if scary stories really freak you out or if you're really young, then maybe.

Start your review of More Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark
Justin Tate
Aug 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This second volume of scary stories compiled/adapted from folklore and legend is significantly scarier and more adult than the previous volume. I was going to include my list of favorites when I realized I loved every story in here except one or two which were still good.

What I love most is that Schwartz takes time at the end to explain his sources for the legend and offer supplemental reading suggestions for those interested. The list of books include many from academia. What people don’t reali
Mischenko
Oct 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is featured on Halloween Reads for Children @ https://readrantrockandroll.com/2017/...

Here's another scary story collection that’s perfect for this time of year. Some of these are downright horrifying, but so much fun.

A few of our favorites are: Something was Wrong, The Cat’s Paw, Ba-Rooom!, which includes the simple sheet music we enjoy playing on the piano, Wonderful Sausage, and One Sunday Morning.

One of my favorite sections in the book contains the sources which explain the tales,
¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪SomeBunny Reads (Phoenix)•*¨*•♫♪

I didn't like this book as much as the first one. I found the stories dull and the narration uninteresting. However, there were a couple of them which I really liked, and I also think that it might be due to me reading this book for the first time as an adult (whereas the first one was a childhood memory). I still admire the work of collection and study of folk tales and urban legends that stays behind it, so I am definitely checking out number three. After all, this series is a classic!
Tina Haigler
Jan 01, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, classics, kids
This is a very beloved book from my childhood, along with it's prequel and sequel. I'm still not entirely sure why I love something so much that gave me several serious complexes that continue into adulthood, but I guess I'm just twisted like that.

I chose to reread these books due to the Scary Stories movie that came out recently. Needless to say the stories didn't scare me like they did when I was a kid, but I still found that I was a little creeped out going to the bathroom in the dark, so to
Kimberly Antill
I took a little trip down memory lane with this one. I remember reading this as a kid and trying to scare my brothers and sisters with Clinkity-Clink, then laughing like it was the funniest thing in the world when they all jumped at the end. Of course, all these stories were a bit spookier when I was younger. As an adult, I didn't find any of the stories to be all that scary, however there were several that were still quite interesting. I also like that the author included a section at the end t ...more
Candace Robinson
Love, love, love the illustrations! Haunting and creepy mixed with gorgeous!
Juli
The Scary Stories series by Alvin Schwartz was a favorite of my oldest son when he was younger. We read the stories out loud to each other, and even his friends. We talked about what made a story scary, how to tell a great ghost story and the basics of acting and public speaking. My son is now almost 30 years old and he still remembers these books. Before he left to serve in the Navy, he brought me used copies that matched the ones he owned as a kid. As part of my personal challenge this year to ...more
Maliha Tabassum Tisha

• The dead man's hand
• The little black dog
Ronyell
Nov 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of dark and spooky stories!!!
Sausage

SCARY STORIES PART TWO!

After reading the first book “Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark,” I just had to read up on the sequel, “More Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark,” which is also written by Alvin Schwartz along with illustrations by Stephen Gammell. “More Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark” is a continuation of the first book and we are introduced to more spine-tingling tales from this fantastic series as you will definitely be sitting on the edge of your seats after you read
Megan
May 17, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned, kyle-s-books
When I was a child, I used to love reading Alvin Schwartz's scary story books! There was nothing more fun than going to the library during the summer and getting my fix of creepy stories and macabre artwork by Stephen Gammell. I recently picked up a copy of this book as a testament to my childhood nostalgia to see if the stories held up to the test of time. I'm glad to say that they did! While written for children, the stories definitely gave me a few chills as an adult. The artwork is still jus ...more
Nandakishore Varma
I found a copy online.

This was fun - a collection of creepy urban legends from the US. It was largely spoilt for me because I knew, or could guess, the punchline from most.

To get the most out of these stories, they have to be told around a campfire in the night. If the story teller is skilled, he/ she can frighten the hell out of people.
Shannon
Oct 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4/5

Although the stories are very tame, the illustrations are gorgeous, and the strong wave of nostaligia made this an awesome reread.
Konstantin
Two and a half, perhaps? Definitely better than the first collection, though.
Kim Friant
Aug 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
5 Stars— Ivan and I went to see Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark in the theater when it came out. We saw the preview and were intrigued so we watched it. I enjoyed it enough that I decided to get the books and read them. I think they’re such good books to introduce horror to kids! Obviously, it varies from kid to kid, but these books definitely work on the creepy side without being ridiculously scary. I read thru all 3 books in about an hour and found them engaging and chilling. I won’t go so f ...more
Matthew W
May 29, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book (and the other books in the "Scary Stories" series) had a huge influence on me as a child. May future generations of children also be influenced by the "Scary Stories" books!!
 Дарья
Feb 23, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
These are wonderful.
Sesana
Oct 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I still love these books. They're still pretty spooky, because the stories are archetypal. Some things are always scary. For the target audience, this will likely be their first exposure to most of these archetypes. And nostalgia helps those of us who read these years ago. The stories are nice and short, perfect for telling around a campfire or at a sleepover.

The original art by Stephen Gammell is horrible and I love it. I always did. It was a pleasure to be horrified by it. The newest edition h
Ericka annamarie
now most sequels lack something that the first had but that is not the case with this wonderful 2nd installment in scary stories to tell in the dark. it has a set of old timey scary stories as well as new and interesting things to look up :)

just reread this series again last monday and i still adore this series.
Emily
Jul 10, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
"We tell scary stories to have fun."

These stories are still fun, but this collection is my least favorite of the series. I adore the illustrations as usual, but I feel like some of these stories didn't totally make sense. There are also so many dead animals 😑.

My top 5 stories were The Wreck, Wonderful Sausage, The Curse, The Church, and The Brown Suit.
Rebecca McNutt
May 23, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My sister and I loved these when we were little - the stories were generic urban myths but it was the disturbing and eerie illustrations that made this anthology series so memorable, the stark black and white with hints of bright red and blue to evoke the chilling atmosphere.
Devann
I used to LOVE these books when I was a kid. They seem kind of silly when I reread them as an adult but as a child I remember being terrified by some of the stories and illustrations in here.
Stacy
May 23, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2-stars
A few of the first book’s stories actually creeped me out and had me turning on lights at night and not wanting to leave my downstairs bedroom to go to my upstairs kitchen. However, this one fell very short. Not a single story even got to me and I found them much less clever 🤷🏻‍♀️
Jessica C Writes
I definitely enjoyed this one more than the first! I think the stories were a lot spookier and very creepy. I can’t wait to start the third.
Katiria
Oct 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
More Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark another Scary Stories book that I thoroughly loved and enjoyed reading this book it was also a very nostalgic read as well. I remember reading some of these stories when I was a kid. This book is also a perfect book to read during the autumn and Halloween season too. More Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark is full of more creepy, very spooky and scary stories that you can tell during a campfire and for Halloween too.

I love the neat and simple writing style
Matt
Apr 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Terrific illustrations once again. The stories weren’t nearly as good as the first volume but I still remember reading this one quite often as a kid.
Nathan
Dec 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I rated this book a 4 out of 5 as a whole. This book is the second book by this scary story collector. The book is a collection of “scary” stories. I really enjoy these types of stories, the ones that make you want to read more into the story. This collection had quite a few of those, though there were a few story’s that made me wonder why they were included. All in all a fun and quick read.
Abigail
Oct 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Young Readers Who Enjoy Scary Stories / Folklore Enthusiasts
More Scary Stories To Tell In the Dark, illustrated by Stephen Gammell

Author and folklorist Alvin Schwartz and illustrator Stephen Gammell, who in 1981 teamed up to create the contemporary American classic, Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark , joined forces again for this second collection, published in 1984. Here we have twenty-eight spooky stories, culled from various folk traditions and divided into four sections.

"When She Saw Him, She Screamed and Ran" is a collection of eight ghost storie
Kelsey Trinkner
May 16, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-junior-year
When I was little, my mother bought me this series of books. I read all of them within a short period of time. I loved the books. I used to loan them out to my classmates when I was in the third grade. I would also read these stories to my little brother. They scared him, but I loved them. I recently re-read these three books. My favorite story from this book is called "The Bed By The Window." This story is about a few men who are in a nursing home. The three men are unable to lift themselves ou ...more
Juliette
Jan 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved scary stories as a kid. I also was a dork, and loved to write. I entered some kind of "kid author/illustrator" contest in 4th or 5th grade, and I won! I remember that the highlight of winning included meeting awesome author Gary Paulsen and illustrator Stephen Gammell. Stephen Gammell, in my memory, was super amazing, and even created a creepy watercolor painting during the seminar. I also happened to love Alvin Schwartz's book In a Dark, Dark Room and Other Scary Stories , who also wro ...more
Josiah
Jun 07, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
As in the first volume, the storytelling skills of Alvin Schwartz and the eerie drawings of the more than capable Stephen Gammell come together in the telling of these incredibly scary folk tales.
For some reason, "Wonderful Sausage" has always caught my fascination, though the story itself is chillingly brutal. "Oh, Susannah" has always been one of the scariest stories of any in the Alvin Schwartz collections that I have read, and more than once I found myself truly getting cold with goosebump

• Scary Stories to Tell if You Dare 2
  • More Bones
  • Night of the Living Dummy (Goosebumps, #7)
  • Return of the Mummy (Goosebumps Presents TV Episode, #4)
  • Beware!: R.L. Stine Picks His Favorite Scary Stories
  • The Girl Who Cried Monster (Goosebumps Presents TV Episode, #1)
  • Ask the Bones: Scary Stories from Around the World
  • Welcome to Dead House (Goosebumps, #1)
  • Малка книжка за науката
  • The Haunted Mask (Goosebumps, #11)
  • One Day at Horrorland (Goosebumps, #16)
  • Stay Out of the Basement  (Goosebumps, #2)
  • Просто Спас - Без Филтър
  • Historias de miedo para contar en la oscuridad 3
  • Scary Stories
  • The Werewolf of Fever Swamp (Goosebumps, #14)
  • Scary Stories to Tell if You Dare
  • Седем градски гряха
Alvin Schwartz was the author of more than fifty books dedicated to and dealing with topics such as folklore and word play, many of which were intended for young readers. He is often confused with another Alvin Schwartz, who wrote Superman and Batman daily comics strips and a novel titled The Blowtop.

Scary Stories (3 books)
  • Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark (Scary Stories, #1)
  • More Tales to Chill Your Bones (Scary Stories #3)