Start by marking “Float Plan” as Want to Read:

Float Plan

Critically acclaimed author Trish Doller's unforgettable and romantic adult debut about setting sail, starting over, and finding yourself...

Since the loss of her fiancé, Anna has been shipwrecked by grief—until a reminder goes off about a trip they were supposed to take together. Impulsively, Anna goes to sea in their sailboat, intending to complete the voyage alone.

But af
Published March 2nd 2021 by St. Martin's Griffin

To ask other readers questions about Float Plan, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Float Plan

Start your review of Float Plan
Regina
Nov 24, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you need a tropical getaway, Float Plan is now available!

"He planned an adventure he never intended to take, imagined a life he never intended to live. Instead he sailed out on a tide of pills and tequila."

Ooof. When a novel begins with an advisory about self-harm and suicide, you immediately brace yourself for a gut-wrenching (and potentially graphic) read. "Float Plan" is neither of those things, but rather an escapist story about moving on from loss.

Anna is a 25-year-old waitress at a "Ho
Nilufer Ozmekik
Jul 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
What can a person expect more from a beautiful, heart wrenching, inspirational, promising second chances story?
Adorable characters!✅
Riveting, emotional, adrenaline pumping journey!✅
Well written dialogues with meaningful messages!✅
A unique second chances love story!✅
Yes you may find all of those at this novel! ✅

The summary of plot line: Two easily lovable characters set sail to complete a thrilling, adventurous voyage to visit spectacular places, experiencing brand new things, broadening their h
Trish Doller
Feb 23, 2020 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: books-i-wrote
Advice givers always say you should write the book you want to read. This is it. I hope you like it.
Tina
This is a Contemporary Romance/Women's Fiction/Mental Health. This is so much more then just a romance. This book is about getting over grief. Anna starts sailing around to try to get over losing her boyfriend from him killing himself over a long battle of depression, and she meets Keane that is grieving the lost of his leg. I love this book so much. I know I was going to like it, but I did not see this book becoming one of my favorite books I have read this year. I really loved all the characte ...more
Susan's Reviews
Jul 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
APPLAUSE!! APPLAUSE!! APPLAUSE!!
( With a standing ovation!) What a great read!

Anna Beck can't make sense of her world. Her fiance, Ben, killed himself after battling depression all his life. Unable to get on with her life, Anna makes a rash decision to complete a trip that Ben had planned for them - which would have ended with their wedding ceremony on the sandy beaches of Trinidad.

But Anna soon realizes that she lacks the advanced sailing skills needed to make the long journey through the Car
Samantha
Jan 21, 2021 rated it liked it
tw: death of a loved one by suicide (including the suicide note and descriptions of how he passed)

This is the second grief story where the main character 's fiancee has died that I have read this month, but grief stories where people are re-discovering themselves after a major loss have some of my favorite themes. This is a quick read about Anna, who is sailing the Caribbean on a trip she planned to take with her fiancee, and Keane is the man she ends up hiring to help her sail. I enjoy
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
4.5 Stars

It being February, I had decided last night to double down on my romance reads for the next couple of weeks and somehow managed to remember I had a copy of this on the ol’ Kindle. When I woke up this morning it was around 50 degrees, but by 9:00 it was 30, dropping and the snow was blowing so hard it was a near whiteout. That right there is what you call the gods smiling upon your choice to read a book set somewhere warm.

Float Plan is the story of Anna who has barely been going through
Chloe Liese
Dec 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Thank you to St. Martin's Griffin & NetGalley for this advance copy. All opinions are my own!

What begins as a woman undertaking a journey by sea that her now-deceased boyfriend planned for them becomes a journey that is so much more than undertaking closure and honoring his life. Anna grieves what she's lost and finds closure, yes, but she finds and discovers so much more about herself, about her resilience, her passions, and her hopes for her future.

This was a beautiful journey through grief an
Kendall
Feb 16, 2021 rated it really liked it
Float Plan

What a sweet, moving, and emotional romance. What I loved about this one? It was so much more then a typical romance. It's about self discovery, moving on from grief, and falling in love.

Anna has recently lost her fiancée to suicide. She is trying to move on from life and decides to take her fiancé's boat out and travel the world. She has the world waiting for her.

Trish Dollar explores the heavy side of suicide and the difficult nature of grief in such a beautiful way through this spe
Sam (AMNReader)
While this book was undoubtedly good, there were times I was regretful?

First, it opens with a still deep in grief Anna, reeling from her fiance's suicide and discovering him. I wouldn't normally start out with something like this, but it deserves more than a passing note. Anna's sadness-depression really-is surface for much of the novel. I read 3 pages and walked away from it for the afternoon. So, I want you to know that in case that may hurt you to read about. There is also discussion of Ben
Tucker  (TuckerTheReader)
this cover's color scheme is beautiful

also because I pulled some strings (just kidding, I'm not that special)

i know what the marketing plan and it is amazing

i wish i could share it but i don't want Macmillan to sue me

| Goodreads | Blog | Pinterest | LinkedIn | YouTube | Instagram
zaira
tw: depression, suicide, death of a loved one, grief

My first book for the year and I did not expect to love this as much as I did. So good!

I really like the premise of the story. About a year after the death of Anna's fiance, she decides to go through with their original plans to go sailing, following the float plan her husband had made for them before he died. She isn’t really the best candidate to go sailing the long distance alone. Somewhere along, she puts up an ad looking for sailors/ba
Carrie
Feb 04, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Review coming soon.
T. Rosado

My first **5 Star** read of 2021!

Beginning with it's heart-rending opening (potential triggers - (view spoiler),) Float Plan is a story that deals with loss, the grieving process, and the effort to start moving forward.

The author rendered grief in all it's honesty, but also lightened the story with moments of wit and charm. I loved every minute with the relatable heroine, as well as it's swoony Irish hero. While not entirely focused on romance, the relationsh
Lindsay (pawsomereads)
Looking for a second chance love story set at sea with captivating characters, thrilling adventure and heartwarming interactions? Well, look no further because Float Plan has it all!
Surrounded by grief in her daily life, Anna decides it's time to set out on her own voyage of sailing around the Caribbean. She soon discovers that she may need a little help to make it through this trip. Enter Keane, a professional sailor adjusting to his new future. The two of them set sail for Puerto Rico on a jou
RateTheRomance
I needed a day to emotionally recover from this story before writing my review. Prepare yourself for me to put on my English Lit Major cap and write a review that is significantly loftier than my usual "talk about hot kitchen counter sex!" reviews. Here we go...

*drawn out feminine sigh*

I loved this book. It is deliciously well written, with beautiful words and vivid descriptions. We know from the very first words that this book will be an emotional journey. The female lead, Anna, is drowning in
book bruin
Feb 22, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Float Plan grabs you by the heart and never lets go. I wasn't sure I was in the right headspace for this one, but once I started reading, I didn't want to put it down. The writing was phenomenal and there was so much raw honesty and emotion that it sometimes made my chest ache. Anna's character arc and journey is one of the best I've read in a long time. It's painfully relatable and so wonderfully human. Her struggles and triumphs become the readers. So much so, that you might find yourself cryi ...more
Jan 28, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley-ebooks
4.5/ 5 stars

Float Plan is the author's adult romance debut (I believe that she usually writes YA). This is my first book by this author and I really enjoyed it very much.

I had not read the book blurb. So the opening was even more powerful for me. I thought that the beginning of this book was very strong. And I was hooked right from the start.

The narrator is 25 year old Anna (1st person POV). Something happened in her life. And now it's a year later and she is still dealing with the aftermath.

I c
Jaime Arkin
Absolutely loved this!

I have been a fan of Trish Doller's writing for ages it seems, but when I saw she had a contemporary adult romance coming out I freaked out a bit (in a good way)!

Doller seems to hover just under the radar which is unfathomable to me because her books are always spectacular. Float Plan, like her other books, just made me feel so so much while I was reading. Do NOT let the summary scare you - yes there are sensitive topics explored here, but they are done wonderfully.

There
Cyndi Becker
Feb 26, 2021 rated it it was amazing
I just might be ruined. In Float Plan, Trish Doller, a new to me author, creates a stunning world set on a 30 ft sailboat. Here, she also provides a literary vacation sailing through The Bahamas. This is one of my top reads, and not only for 2021. I read this over a few evenings and found myself thinking about it throughout the day. When I started the story, I shared with my husband that I was reading a contemporary romance centered on a sailing boat as sailboats have long been one of his intere ...more
Chelsey (a_novel_idea11)
Feb 14, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: giveaways-arcs
"One of the things I've learned is that suicide doesn't break a person's heart just once."

"Kind is one of the easiest things to be."

Anna is paralyzed with grief after her fiancé commits suicide. Ten months after his tragic death, Anna gets an alert on her phone that the sailing trip she and Ben planned to take would be starting that day. Impulsively, she decides to take the trip as a way to honor Ben and to try to move forward.

Once on the open water, Anna realizes she's wholly unprepared and had
Andi (Andi's ABCs)
What an amazing story about grieving people and dreams and moving on. Keane is so perfect. Review to come much, much later. Get this on your TBR though.
Bex | TotallyBex.com
I’m pretty sure we’ve all had fantasies about giving up on our everyday life, chucking it all, and sailing around the world. Ok, maybe that’s just me, but in Float Plan, that’s exactly what the heroine, Anna Beck, does.

After the death of her fiancé, Anna is barely surviving life. She’s a waitress at a pirate-themed Hooters imitation, aimlessly drifting through the dark days of grief and learning to live without Ben.

Ben was the reason for the plan to leave everything behind and sail. He purchase
Natalie "Curling up with a Coffee and a Kindle" Rampling
Okay, a little back story about me will help me explain my feelings when I read this book.
Anna, the protagonist, has recently lost her fiance Ben, from suicide. I lost a close relative in April last year, not from suicide but she also struggled from mental illness difficulties at times. 'Float Plan' described the grief I feel every day perfectly, when I do let those feelings in. "I'm trying- really trying- to figure out how life works without [them]" This was a painful and stark read for me, and
Amy
Feb 24, 2021 rated it it was amazing
I want to start by saying that despite suicide and grief being a strong aspect of the plot here this actually wasn’t super heavy. Just wanted to get that out of the way because when I started this I was in the mood for something on the lighter side and was pleasantly surprised that it wasn’t all that sad. Maybe a little at times but overall it was a lighter read for me.

Ok, so I freaking loved this one y’all. It was such a beautiful, emotional, tender and sweet story! It leans more to the side of
Kari Ann Sweeney
Mar 01, 2021 rated it really liked it
I absolutely, positively, 100% judged this book by the cover. I was expecting a breezy, cocktails on the lido deck type of vacation story. What I got was an emotional journey about navigating through grief and finding yourself along the way.

𝘘𝘶𝘪𝘤𝘬 𝘚𝘺𝘯𝘰𝘱𝘴𝘪𝘴: 10 months after Anna's finance Ben dies by suicide she takes the sailing trip they had planned to take together. After a unforgettable meet-cute she hires an Irish sailor, Keane, to help her reach her destination.

I appreciated how the author
Mazey  Eddings
Dec 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This very well could be one of my favorite books I’ve ever read. Soft, gentle, tender, this book takes a broken heart and cradles the pieces while they heal. The story explores pain and grief and all of its nuances, but does so in a way that makes you feel like you are sitting in the sunshine while you heal.
Anna’s fiancé, Ben, committed suicide almost a year ago, and Anna (on a whim) decides to take the sailing trip they had once planned to take together in an effort to heal and find herself. A
Readaholic Book Reviews
Jan 16, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Anna has been dealing with grief in her own way after the loss of her fiancee Ben. Her mom and sister are worried about her - worried that Anna is going through the motions, but not really living her life.

Anna and Ben were planning a trip on his sailboat to the Caribbean islands, but Anna had forgot about the trip. When a reminder alerted her of the trip, Anna decides on going on the sailboat solo. Sailing alone is hard, harder than Anna anticipated and after a few rough days Anna hires Keane -
Ginger at GReadsBooks
Jan 18, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Reading Trish’s words is like setting sail on her very own ocean of storytelling... full of calm, deep, and uncharted waters. Just when you think you know what’s going to come next, she surprises you with all the emotions. I was honored to read an early copy of this many moons ago, & feel very privileged to see it through to this beautiful masterpiece it has now become.

If you’re a lover of travel & romance & stories that know just how to reach inside your heart, this book is for you. All the sta
Alexia
Dec 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-shelf
You ever read a book and can’t think of a single thing you disliked cause yup. Like maybe the fact it had to end. I could have taken the ending being stretched another 100 pages or so.

What do I have to do to get more? I’ll take a spin off with Eamon. I don't care just give me more please. This is a story that fits like a glove. I was so contented and smiling or laughing every chapter. It’s not “light” in the slightest. If you’ve ever known anyone who’s died by suicide or just suffered loss in a
Hi, I'm Trish! I don't really visit goodreads too often, but you can find me on both Instagram and Twitter as @trishdoller. Instagram is my favorite, so look there first. I don't bite, so come say hello!

(Note: I'm sorry that don't have any review copies for my books. You'll have to contact the publisher.)

• Yes & I Love You (Say Everything, #1)
  • Accidentally Engaged
  • Ten Rules for Faking It
  • Make Up Break Up
  • Love at First
  • It Happened One Summer
  • Amelia Unabridged
  • Life's Too Short (The Friend Zone, #3)
  • Happy Singles Day
  • The Soulmate Equation
  • The Love Proof
  • The Intimacy Experiment
  • Meet Me in Paradise
  • Shipped
  • To Sir, with Love
  • Heartbreak for Hire
  • To Love and to Loathe (The Regency Vows, #2)
  • The Ex Talk

Articles featuring this book

“Carla once told me the best way to make a decision is to flip a coin. She said that when the coin is in the air, you'll usually figure our what you truly want.” 0 likes
“Eventually - and I say this from experience - you'll start building a new house beside the ruins of the old. When you're ready, you'll know.” 0 likes