Start by marking “Pandemic Capitalism: From Broken Systems to Basic Incomes” as Want to Read:
Pandemic Capitalism: From Broken Systems to Basic Incomes

Pandemic Capitalism: From Broken Systems to Basic Incomes

Our economic system isn't working for most of humanity. Governments have long kicked the can on major problems with band-aids, rather than undertake the required investments and deliver necessary systems change. The coronavirus has laid the folly plain.
Pandemic Capitalism looks at this mess from a systems lens and offers possibilities for paths forward that would be more s
Kindle Edition
Published June 2020 by Wicked Problems Collaborative

To ask other readers questions about Pandemic Capitalism, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pandemic Capitalism

Start your review of Pandemic Capitalism: From Broken Systems to Basic Incomes
Selkis
Mar 29, 2021 rated it really liked it
The Covid pandemic has made it very clear to me that our current system doesn't work, and I'm very interested in learning about alternatives. As I'm an absolute beginner with only very little prior knowledge about the topic, this short book came just at the right time for me.

The author explains our current situation and how we've ended up here through a mix of historical/economic facts and personal anecdotes. I found it a very engaging and interesting read, and definitely not dry.

One thing to b
AnnaScott
As a public health and business student, I was intrigued when I saw the title of this book. As we have all seen, COVID-19 has made a huge impact on our society, and I was intrigued to learn more.

Objectively, this book was excellently written. I loved his use of quotes at the beginning of each chapter, and he did a phenomenal job using sources throughout his writing. Probably a fourth of the pages of this book were reference pages with citations and additional notes. He raised many valid points
John  Mihelic
Jul 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The pandemic that we got going on around here has gotten me thinking of two separate but related things.

The first is from the novel / literary artefact “Naked Lunch”, where Burroughs described the titular meal as: "The title means exactly what the words say: naked lunch, a frozen moment when everyone sees what is on the end of every fork."

The second is from Warren Buffet describing the Minskyian Ponzi finance, “Only when the tide goes out do you discover who's been swimming naked.”

Both are abo
Venky
Jun 10, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: economics
The Corona virus pandemic that is currently busy wreaking havoc across the globe, while causing massive dangers to the health of the global populace has also set back the world economy as mankind tries to come to grips with this highly infectious disease. The people most impacted by this virus represent the lowest and deprived strata in society. The homeless, the ailing who cannot afford healthcare, the downtrodden and the neglected. With many countries imposing a 'lock down', a multitude of sec ...more
Anna ⭐️
Mar 24, 2021 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I always find it difficult to rate a non-fiction book as I don’t know whether to rate it for how it is written or for what it says. So let’s ignore the star rating for now, and let me go into details.

So while I thought the amount of search and references was pretty great, I’m not sure I agree with everything that has been said. Don’t get me wrong, I am quite disgusted by how some things have been dealt with during this crazy period (or any other period, really).

So... The whole book shows the fl
Paul
Jul 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The Covid-19 pandemic has totally changed American society, maybe permanently. Perhaps the biggest change has been economic. Millions of people were laid off, because nearly everything was closed. Some of those jobs are starting to return, but other jobs are gone forever. What is a lower-paid retail or hospitality worker (usually a minority) to do? Enter the Universal Basic Income, or UBI.

It is a monthly cash payment, from the government, that goes right into a person's bank account. It is inten
Henk-Jan van der Klis
Chris Oestereich published an earlier version of this book under the title Mending the Net. Given the COVID-19 crisis and the urgency to support the healthcare system and keep the economy afloat, he pulled the book, did further research, which resulted in Pandemic Capitalism: From Broken Systems to Basic Income. Humanity is beset by wicked problems, the interconnected challenges that defy solution. This book attempts to lay out arguments for a universal basic income (UBI) by reframing the econom ...more
Ra Ma.
Oct 20, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The title 'Pandemic Capitalism' is very catchy and clearly indicated what the book is all about.

The book elaborates on the broken economy system. It speaks about why the existing system is not serving everyone equally.

The author made quite a lot of research for this book. He also have provided the reference links at the end of each chapter, which is overwhelming.

The book was written keeping the US environment in mind and I found myself distanced.

Overall, an informative book and an humongous effo
Jo Ann
Jun 20, 2021 rated it really liked it
I found the book to be quite thought-provoking. The concepts were presented clearly. We all know that pre-pandemic capitalism wasn't serving everyone and we need to change. I was fascinated by the concept of universal basic income. I will definitely be following the work of the Wicked Problems Collaborative. In fact, I'm starting their next book as soon as I'm done here.

Alexa  Ramirez
May 10, 2021 rated it liked it
It was very informative and easy to understand, however I think it’s important to note that a UBI won’t solve all of our issues, and while it may fix some we might find more as a result of it, but it’s still a good introduction to that conversation

Yeewa Honeyman
Aug 15, 2020
Kristin
Feb 21, 2021
John Willis
Aug 21, 2020
Chris Oestereich
May 15, 2020 added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Matt Layton
Shaneka Knight
Jessica
Lukas

• The Autobiography of an Ex-Colored Man
  • Scepter of Flint (Lord Hani #3)
  • Human Prehistory and the First Civilizations
  • The Woman Who Would Be King: Hatshepsut's Rise to Power in Ancient Egypt
  • A Thousand Roads Home
  • Psychopath Free: Recovering from Emotionally Abusive Relationships With Narcissists, Sociopaths, and Other Toxic People
  • The North Wind Descends (The Lord Hani Mysteries #4)
  • The Swans of Fifth Avenue
  • Introducing Critical Theory: A Graphic Guide (Introducing...)
  • The Narrative of the Life of Henry Box Brown
  • Incidents in the Life of a Slave Girl
  • Seasonal Associate
  • San Francisco During the Eventful Days of April 1906
  • Redhead by the Side of the Road
  • The Crocodile Makes No Sound (Lord Hani Mysteries #2)
  • Stolen: Five Free Boys Kidnapped into Slavery and Their Astonishing Odyssey Home
  • The Room Where It Happened: A White House Memoir
  • Long Time Coming: Reckoning with Race in America
Chris Oestereich is the founder and editor of the Wicked Problems Collaborative, a loose affiliation of thinkers and doers that are tackling some of humanity's biggest issues. He tends to focus on social and environmental issues from a systems-thinking perspective and works to integrate these concerns in his writing and teaching, as well as through the zero waste/circular economy work that he does ...more