Start by marking “All I Need to Know about Manufacturing I Learned in Joe's Garage: World Class Manufacuring Made Simple” as Want to Read:

All I Need to Know About Manufacturing I Learned in Joe's Garage: World Class Manufacturing Made Simple
Published January 1st 1993 by Bayrock Press

Bob Wallner
Nov 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: culture, leadership, lean
I love simple little books that provide profound insight and can be absorbed in a couple hours. Joe's Garage is that type of book. Reader is able to be read in less than two hours (even at my turtle pace) it walks you through the differences between "traditional" command and control manufacturing to a "new" type of "Japanese" manufacturing. Published in 2004, this book gives a great introduction to today's Lean or TQM Methodologies.

Like many fictional stories, or fables, there isn't a great deal
Michelle
Mar 16, 2018 rated it liked it
I read this book because I am working my way through various business books recommended by my newsletter readers. While this book's publication dates back to 1997, there are still important lessons to gain from it. Manufacturing concepts, and associated pointers for productivity, quality, and efficiency are interwoven in a fictitious story of helpers who voluntarily get together on a weekend to help a friend build shelves in his garage. While I had difficulty imagining that the task at hand real ...more
Mike Thelen
Nov 28, 2017 rated it liked it
This is a great little, short and quick read. Written more like a short story, it's engaging and entertaining, all while teaching basic concepts of Lean.
Darci Isherwood
May 30, 2018 rated it liked it
I read this for a work assignment. It was very easy, very fast read. If you want to learn about the beginnings of Lean Manufacturing, give it a shot.
Justin Scharfe
Feb 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great read

Great for anyone in or wanting to be I the field of manufacturing. Really gets you thinking on how to make things work smoothly.
Arjun K B
Jan 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: business
Easy read and a nice story. Overly simplistic book - not necessarily a bad thing. You'll understand what happens at a badly run facility and why. If you're looking for how to improve, you're not given much to go with.
Lauren Hall-Stigerts
Feb 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: business
A short, easy, and relatively entertaining read that introduces you to the critical differences between Eastern and Western manufacturing production philosophies. (And the contrast is quite stark - a lot of it due to the cultural differences between Japan and America that aren't about to change anytime soon.)

Lots of people pooh-poohed this book because they were forced to read it in an educational setting. Take their reviews with a grain of salt. This is a worthwhile book for anyone wanting to u
Anthony
Oct 31, 2008 rated it liked it
This is a great intro to some of the basic concepts of Continuous Process Improvement. It gives you the most important terms found in Lean Manufacturing. Highly recommended for someone about to head to a Green Belt or Black Belt class. The book takes about 35 minutes to read and has a nice fun little story.
Sep 11, 2011 rated it liked it
The first time I tried to read this a few years ago (because my husband really liked it), I could get into it. But for some reason I found it really interesting now. I especially liked the pithy sayings like "A fool and his inventory are not easily parted." It's interesting for me to think about how the manufacturing principles might also apply to running a library or a home.
Kelly
Aug 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: professional
(Read for my job.) Super easy read. Did not expect it to be a first-person narrative, which helped my fiction-loving attention span. The eponymous Joe was a real asshole. Five stars because it was informative, concise, and had insightful little quotes - not necessarily because I'm super into the subject matter.
Linda
Jan 02, 2009 rated it liked it
Had to read this for my supply and logistics class to learn the concept of lean manufacturing or J-I-T. The authors teach this concept by telling a story of how a shelving unit is installed in a private garage.
Bill Hackenberg
Sep 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book. The good news: was already familiar with 95% of it. But, this book puts it together nicely, very easy to understand, and engaging too!

I thought this was really more of a project than a production run. But, the manufacturing points and concepts are made effectively.
Rick
Apr 19, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Quick read that makes you think about the way we do things in the construction and manufacturing industry.

This books uses building shelves in a garage to illustrate how much waste there is in the typical manufacturing or construction process.
Lance
Jul 19, 2010 rated it really liked it
Short book on manufacturing processes using a short story about building shelves in a garage.
Rochelle Sharbutt
Jan 11, 2013 rated it liked it
I had to read this for an old job. It has some good points, but considering I am a J.K. Rowling/Cassandra Clare/Suzanne Collins kind of girl, this book made me want to claw my eyes out.
Brent Lee
Dec 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
Discusses lean manufacturing techniques in a candid conversation between two acquaintances while working on building garage shelving. Good introduction to basic principles, a quick read.
Don
ทีเนือหา สัน กระชับ เขาใจงาย
(แอบกระทบระบบการผลิตแบบอเมริกันนิดหนอย)
Nannette
Jul 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is so sadly true, and very entertaining, great insights.
John Sturdivant
Dec 07, 2014
Oozkan
Nov 04, 2013
Courtney Feliciani
rated it did not like it
May 31, 2016
Dec 26, 2015
Ankit
Sep 27, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Father William "Bill" Miller is the author of "The Gospel According to Sam: Animal Stories for the Soul (www.facebook.com/The.Gospel.According...) and the upcoming releases: "The Beer Drinker's Guide to God: Spirituality for Real People", "Awakening the Sleeping Giant: Discovering Your Life's Passion and Potential" and "NET: How Real Churches Really Grow". A uniquely engaging storyteller, this Tex ...more