Start by marking “Of Flesh and Feathers” as Want to Read:
Of Flesh and Feathers

Of Flesh and Feathers

“A modern Watership Down meets The Walking Dead—but with a lot more feathers!”

A foul wind blows through the chicken coop. The flock's caretaker no longer comes to collect Chickory's eggs or bring her feed, and the stench of death is everywhere. Her friend Fayne is haunted by visions of danger and by a prophecy of safety beyond the farthest horizon a chicken has ever known.
Published June 2020 by Pierce Books

To ask other readers questions about Of Flesh and Feathers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Of Flesh and Feathers

Start your review of Of Flesh and Feathers
Alaina
I have received this ARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Of Flesh and Feathers will introduce you to some interesting characters. Not sure if you have ever read a book from a dogs or chickens POV, but if you ever had the dream to do so - look no further. Here is your book! It was honestly a pretty entertaining book, just to see what chickens will do when a virus comes out and people turn into zombies.

After meeting Chickory, it's safe to say that I was hooked. She was a pretty li
Aly
Aug 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
This book is crazy! I've never read from the point of view of a chicken, but it was intense. Not only were there zombies, but being a chicken, Chickory had to worry about cats, coyotes, dogs, and regular humans. I was on edge a lot, hoping none of the chickens or the dog, Tucker, would die and rooting for them to find the valley.

The world building of the chickens was so good. They have a god and prayers and beliefs. The way they understand things is so different from a human but made total sens
Mike
Aug 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
I’m not sure what it says about me that the moment I saw that this was a book about a zombie apocalypse with a literal chicken as the protagonist, my reaction was basically “oh fuck yes.” But even though I can’t define what exactly it *does* say about me, I do know that I’m proud of it.

Things have been rough for Chicory and the rest of her flock. Their human hasn’t been around to feed them for a while, and the foraging around the yard is getting pretty slim. But when Chicory’s friend Fayne (who
Jersy
Jun 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
* I have received an arc for this from netgalley for an honest review *

An apocalyptic / zombie / virus book about chicken sounded totally fun. It was, but it was also one of this great stories were you really feel for the characters and experience their fate.

L.M. Pierce is an author I absolutely want to read more by. Her writing in this is poignant and concise, with descriptions that not only sound nice but were also quite effective in expressing horror and suffering, but also everything else go
Courtney Sullivan
Jul 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
**I have received a free copy to review honestly from NetGalley**

When I saw the title and cover, I chuckled and thought it was a book I had to read. I was not prepared for the apocalyptic setting and horrors that our heroine would face. Our fierce little hen faces the odds head-on, all the while caring for those around her. Fans of Watership Down will find comfort in the familiarity of this book. I look forward to more works by this author, because I was emotionally invested throughout all of th
Waru
Oct 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
This was such a ride (in a good way), it really had me guessing. In a book about chickens vs zombies no less! In a sea of novels about YA teens fighting paper-thin dystopia, queens poisoning other queens, werewolf sex and murder mysteries THIS exists and it is such a breath of fresh air. I am here for it. With a touch more editing this author could go very, very far in life. Thoroughly satisfied and impressed.
Suzanne
Sep 30, 2020 rated it liked it
This book is exactly what you think it is. Sort of a post-apocalyptic Watership Down with chickens. It's absurd and weird and if that's what you want, I don't think you'll be disappointed.
Johanna Flynn
Aug 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Of Flesh and Feathers was a great read. Pierce does a good job of capturing the hierarchy and community of chickens. Using their perspective, I like how she delivered messages about the human condition. The post-apocalyptic world is chilling and believable. It is a tale for our time with a sliver of hope. I'm looking forward to reading the next one in the series.
Samantha
Annie
Aug 21, 2020
Mjspice
Aug 21, 2020

• Harrow the Ninth (The Locked Tomb, #2)
  • Rediscovery: Science Fiction by Women (1958 to 1963): Yesterday's Luminaries Introduced by Today's Rising Stars
  • From Blood and Ash (Blood and Ash, #1)
  • Red Dragon (Hannibal Lecter, #1)
  • Werecockroach
  • The Beautiful Thing That Awaits Us All
  • Lady Vago's Malediction
  • Gideon the Ninth (The Locked Tomb #1)
  • To Sleep in a Sea of Stars
  • Horrorstör
  • Narrenturm (Trylogia husycka, #1)
  • FantasticLand
  • Of Dragons, Feasts and Murders (Dominion of the Fallen, #3.5)
  • The Trials of Koli (Rampart Trilogy, #2)
  • Ring Shout
  • Burning Roses
  • Dominion: An Anthology of Speculative Fiction from Africa and the African Diaspora
  • Dispersion
“Hey, but what if…?”

Music to Lindsay’s ears. She is an eclectic liberal box of sparks. Friends call her a golden retriever. She is a lover of the new and the old, of asking questions and contemplating possibilities. In addition to the making of words, she is a mental health therapist, anti-oppression trainer, and queer AF.

She lives with her family in Olympia, Washington.