Start by marking “Eucalyptus Street: Green Curse (A Botanic Hill Detectives Mystery, Book 2)” as Want to Read:
Eucalyptus Street: Green Curse (A Botanic Hill Detectives Mystery, Book 2)

Eucalyptus Street: Green Curse (A Botanic Hill Detectives Mystery, Book 2)

In 1945, Isabela de Cordoba’s great-grandfather, the famous silent movie actor Lorenzo de Cordoba, mysteriously hid a legendary, multimillion-dollar emerald somewhere on the family’s sprawling Eucalyptus Street estate. Seventy years later, the gem remains concealed. Nicknamed the “Green Curse,” the emerald is blamed for the Southern California familia’s numerous, untimely ...more
Published October 20th 2020 by Acorn Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Eucalyptus Street, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Eucalyptus Street

Start your review of Eucalyptus Street: Green Curse (A Botanic Hill Detectives Mystery, Book 2)
Phi Beta Kappa Authors
Sherrill Joseph
ΦBK, San Diego State University, 1976
Author

From the publisher: In 1945, Isabela de Cordoba’s great-grandfather, the famous silent movie actor Lorenzo de Cordoba, mysteriously hid a legendary, multimillion-dollar emerald somewhere on the family’s sprawling Eucalyptus Street estate. Seventy years later, the gem remains concealed. Nicknamed the “Green Curse,” the emerald is blamed for the Southern California familia’s numerous, untimely deaths.

On her twenty-first birthday, Isabela re
Kim
Oct 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Dare I say it? I think Eucalyptus Street: Green Curse by Sherrill Joseph is even better than the first book in the Botanic Hill Detectives Mysteries!

The four detectives are becoming better developed and some of the things from the first book were tamed down so the story flowed even smoother. Lanny, the lexicon, is still showing off his word prowess, but he doesn’t seem like such a know-it-all. It helps that the others tease him about it. And while the boys still call each other, Bro, it feels m
Ben Gartner
Jun 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
GREEN CURSE is a spooky mystery that starts during a lightning storm in a big empty mansion. The tension ratchets up continuously as the story goes, alluding to ghosts, vampires, tombstones, graves, and a scary old woman that could be a witch. There’s a mystery within the mystery, a broad range of diverse characters, and interesting lore about gemstones of antiquity. My 12-year-old son and I recommend this page-turner that we just had to finish in one day!

The author supplied me with an ARC for m
Melina Lobo
Oct 30, 2020 rated it really liked it
Eucalyptus Street: Green Curse is a middle grade mystery novel by Sherrill Joseph.
This is a great story for young readers getting into mystrey novels because it has a lot of exciting elements, get doesn't become too complicated where they'd lose their interest. All the characters will be relatable to kids because even though they're detectives, at the end of the day they're still kids and their personalities resonate.
The writing could have been a little bit better, but it was in no way bad.
This
Laurie Buchanan
May 10, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Stolen jewels, old Hollywood movies, a mansion with secret passages, and a family mausoleum all play cryptic roles in this captivating mystery. Can the Botanic Hill Detectives solve the decades-old clue-filled poem to discover the whereabouts of a priceless emerald? A fascinating adventure for pre-teens
Alexa Kingaard
Sep 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Sherrill Joseph has done it again with the second in her series of the Botanic Hill Detectives Mysteries. 'Eucalyptus Street: Green Curse' leads the young detectives on a search for the long-lost emerald of the Cordoba Family to find out once and for all if it had been stolen by a relative three generations earlier, or if this valuable jewel rightfully belongs to them. Hidden for decades somewhere on the grounds of the family mansion, Lexi, Lanny, Rani and Moki use all their combined talents to ...more
Ruth Bintner
I just finished reading Eucalyptus Street: Green Curse and found it very enjoyable.
It was filled with the imagination and intrigue that young readers will find appealing.
The book reminded me of the Nancy Drew mysteries book series which proved to be the catalyst
for my current love of a good mystery throughout the years.
Celia Martin
Sep 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Eucalyptus Street: Green Curse by Sherrill Joseph is a terrific book for young people. It is full of fun and has a good mystery going, actually two mysteries, and a tricky poem leading the young detectives to find various hidden treasures. What I like best was Joseph's ability to expand the young readers' vocabulary, sometimes, explicitly detailed, other times, hidden within the story. Nancy Drew or Hardy Boys book lovers will find this book a fun romp with a great cast of secondary characters.
C
Stacy
Jun 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The Botanic Hill Detectives are sleuthing again! Join Lanny, Lexi, Moki, and Rani as they begin their intriguing quest to find a valuable emerald. This book is sure to be a hit with its vivid descriptions, well-paced story line, and intriguing clues. A real page-tuner! Middle grade readers will become quickly absorbed and anxiously await the next mystery in this series!
Varun
Jul 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The cliffhangers at the end of some chapters had me reading on and wondering or predicting what would happen next. I also liked the story’s unexpected twists and turns.
--VARUN R., age 11, Macungie, PA
Antje Khan
Jun 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed reading this book and all the adventures to solve the mystery. Throughout the story, I found many ways to relate to the characters, especially to Rani. I can’t wait to read another book in this series.
Melissa Schaefer
Jun 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing

"This book was shocking, fun, and clever. I was at the edge of my seat the whole time. One of the best books I have ever read!"--LIAM M., age 11, Macungie, PA
loopyloulaura
Dec 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
Isabela de Cordoba calls upon the Botanic Hill Detectives (13 year olds Lanny, Lexi, Rani and Moki) to search her family home for a missing emerald that has cursed her family for generations. But someone else is also looking for the gem: who will find the missing treasure first?
Eucalyptus Street: Green Curse is the second book in Sherrill Joseph's Botanic Hill Detectives series (I have previously reviewed book 1 Nutmeg Street: Egyptian Secrets). This would work as a stand alone but there are som
Sherrill Joseph
Jun 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Eucalyptus Street: Green Curse is the second book in my Botanic Hill Detectives Mysteries series.

I purposely created mature, responsible characters--based on my own 5th-grade students--as role models for young readers. Yes, it's cool to be smart, polite, and confident going forward, just as the detectives are. And yes, kids, you are capable of much more than many adults know or believe.

So, kids aged 9-12, prepare to be thrilled with secret passages, hidden rooms, treasure, footsteps heard in t
Teresa Warner
Nov 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
Received a copy from the author. It is the second book in the series but can be read as a standalone. I really enjoyed this it is a middle kids book but took me back to my days when I loved reading Nancy Drew and The Hardy Boys! She autographed this for my niece as I will be giving it to her as a Christmas present. Hope she enjoys it as much as I did. I'm also going to get the first book in the series and read that and give to her also. ...more
Jeane
Nov 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Oh, Sherril Joseph has done it again. A spooky, page-turner mystery that any 9-12 year old would enjoy. I loved it and i'm 75. I think this one is even better than her first in the series: Nutmeg Street: Egyptian Secrets.

The kids that are the detectives are smart, polite, funny and great role models. The kids are of various races, interests and abilities. And they are respectful of those differences.

It's a fun mystery and I highly recommend.
Liliyana Shadowlyn
Oct 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2020-reads
Green Curse is a great mystery. Perfect for middle grade readers that want chapter books that aren't the length of adult books. This time there's a puzzle to be solved, one that you'll be trying to solve right along with the young detectives, even when the plot takes some unexpected twists. This book has better pacing than the first book I found, and I didn't want to put it down, so I read it in one day. Great for adult cozy mystery lovers who want a quick read too. ...more
Diane Bator
Mar 11, 2021 rated it liked it
I enjoyed the mystery and it was a fun YA adventure.
The story was interesting but I did have a couple issues. The language the kids used made them sound a lot older than 13.
Also it seemed odd they were so revered as crime solvers by every adult around and no one objected to their meddling at all, particularly their parents and law enforcement.
R.D. Kardon
Oct 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
They’re back and better than ever! The Botanic Hill Detectives are at it again- this time solving an ancient puzzle and searching for a long-lost emerald. Joseph walks us through this engaging mystery with humor and charm. A real gem!
Bonnye Reed
Nov 15, 2020 marked it as to-read
Free November Read from Acorn Publishing.
Jean Hall
Apr 25, 2021 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed reading this book, in which there are two mysteries. Interesting information about gems in antiquity too.
Dec 05, 2020
Nov 14, 2020
Rachel
Dec 05, 2020

• The Wife Upstairs
  • Anger is an Acid (The Patience of a Dead Man #3)
  • Battle Ground (The Dresden Files, #17)
  • What We Bury (Detective Madison Knight Series Book 10)
  • Taking Stock
  • The Banes of Lake's Crossing: Origins (The Banes of Lakes Crossing, #1)
  • London Underground: An Unofficial Legend of The Secret World
  • Dead in the Water: An Unofficial Legend of The Secret World
  • To Sir, with Love: An Unofficial Legend of The Secret World
  • Vol 1: Unofficial Legends of The Secret World Omnibus: Templar Edition
  • Into the Inferno: An Unofficial Legend of The Secret World
  • Hard Cleft: An Unofficial Legend of The Secret World (Book 5)
  • Fiona's Guardians
  • The Interludes A Sexual Odyssey
  • Dr. Cushing's Chamber of Horrors
  • Hallowed Falls
  • A Tracker's Tale
  • Median Gray
The mystery genre took hold of Sherrill Joseph as a fifth grader when she discovered Nancy Drew and Phyllis A. Whitney mysteries. Years later, it still hasn’t let go.

Graduating Phi Beta Kappa and summa cum laude with a bachelor’s degree in English literature and a master’s in education, she spent the next thirty-five years as a K-12 literacy teacher. When she retired from teaching in 2013, the Bo

News & Interviews