Start by marking “It's Okay To Be Different” as Want to Read:
It's Okay To Be Different

It's Okay To Be Different

4.35  ·  Rating details ·  2,732 Ratings  ·  305 Reviews
It's okay to need some help.
It's okay to be a different color.
It's okay to talk about your feelings.

From the bestselling author Todd Parr comes a reassuring book about being who you are.

Told with Todd Parr's signature wit and wisdom, It's Okay to Be Different cleverly delivers the important messages of acceptance, understanding, and confidence in an accessible, child-
Published September 1st 2001 by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers (first published 2001)

Schizanthus
Oct 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's Okay to be Different is such a bright and cheerful picture book. See those quirky DayGlo illustrations on the front cover? That is the kind of smiley fun you're in for throughout the book. At once a self esteem booster and a celebration of individuality, kids young and young at heart will love this book. Each page tells you it's okay to be, have or do something and is supported by cute illustrations that even I, wanna be artist that struggles to create a legible stick figure, could attempt ...more
Nadi Ghaffari
این مجموعه کتابها به قدری شیرین و زیبا و خوندنیه که حتی برای آدمبزرگها هم مناسبه به نظر من. چه خوبه که بچهها با همچین آموزههایی بزرگ بشن. ...more
Jenny
Simple, darling book with a great message.

We used this to write our own...each child picked something that they think is okay and wrote a paragraph about why that is okay. "It's okay to be in a wheelchair." "It's okay to be scared on a cruise ship." "It's okay to like video games." "It's okay to have curly hair." And so on. They turned out really cute.
Violet Lewis
Jan 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: emotional-health
This book is great because it talks about how we are all different. It's Okay to be Different, is a book that helps young children understand that there are no two people exactly alike and that it is okay to be who you are. It helps children learn to embrace the differences in the world around them and be proud of themselves and their families. It is a great book to read at the begining of the school year or for social emotional development.

Learning activity: SE1a: The children will demonstrate
Notes
Jul 30, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beberapa kali jadi relawan pendongeng untuk anak-anak Indonesia di sini mengubahku menjadi seorang pemilih. Ada beberapa buku favoritku, salah satunya "It's Okay to be Different" (Todd Parr). Buku-buku karangan Todd Parr mengajarkan nilai-nilai kemanusiaan kepada anak-anak melalui gambar-gambar yang menarik dan kalimat-kalimat sederhana. "It's Okay to be Different" mengajarkan bahwa berbeda itu adalah rahmat.

Nggak pa-pa punya gigi ompong. Nggak pa-pa perlu bantuan (ilustrasinya: tunanetra ditunt
Kaila
Feb 10, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: differences
This book was amazing and I would recommend it to any teacher. No matter the grade level. This book touches bases on accepting the differences amongst a group of friends. My students actually used this book during a writing center.
Anna
Feb 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: preschool-lit
Our kids request this over and over; it celebrates many of the differences we all have. They loooove the "it's okay to eat macaroni and cheese in the bathtub" page.
Joanne
Oct 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed the book and i feel that it is a cute way to introduce to children that differences are OK. I think some adults need to still learn this lesson, unfortunately. I appreciated that the book's illustration was not necessarily realistic. It has characters that are orange, purple, blue, and it even had some crazy looking animals; i think kids will find this to be fun and interesting and most importantly there is no one representation in the book. Therefore, anyone who reads the book can rel ...more
Sarah Hannon
Personal Response- I really like this book and just love how the author emphasizes a range of differences people may have amongst each other but that it is okay to have those differences. The illustrations are descriptive about what the author is trying to say is unique about someone but okay.

Purposes - read aloud kindergarten
-This book could be used for enrichment purposes to illustrate to students early that no matter what makes someone seem different from yourself, is completely okay and that
Betsie Johnson
Nov 16, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: diversity
This is a book about our differences. Each page has a character doing something different, and says, "It's okay to...(get mad, lose a tooth, wear glasses, etc.). It also has silly examples like, "It's okay to help a squirrel collect nuts!" I like that the book has specific examples of differences because it allows children to relate to the book. I like the idea of reading this book with a large group of students, because you could add lots of opportunities to respond with questions like, "Does a ...more
Tawanda
Apr 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's okay to be different is a picture book. It is a primary read. The book tells that people and things are different and that it's ok to be different. It talked about people wearing glasses and some that dont wear glasses. That some have missing teeth while other's don't. It showed that despite how different we all are our differences are ok.The pictures are wonderful. It is a very easy read. The pictures are bright and colorful and would catch any young readers eye. My daughter enjoyed readin ...more
Mary
A bright and bold picture book celebrating diversity. The comforting repetitive text with the joyfully vivid illustrations make this a fun way to begin discussions on mutual respect and acceptance with preschool and early elementary students. A happy book with a big hearted message.
Lisa Mcbroom
May 05, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Disclaimer: I know a lot of my friends have children who have been diagnosed with actual disorders so this comment is not meant for them.. so here goes. I think kids are over medicated and mis diagonesed for being wonderfully quirky and this book says EMBRACE YOUR QUIRKINESS!!!!!!!!!!!!
Laura Marie
Delightful story explaining the differences of all people. It is a nice way to have children relate to one another and understand it is okay to be different from everyone else,.
Kristi
Sep 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kiddo-books
The Spanish version of this book is my "mystery reader" book for O&E class for their fall curriculum.
Kendall Stewart
Jan 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was such a cute children's book. I would say that it is more for preschool-kindergarten aged students because it is mostly pictures with a couple words about the picture underneath it. It is a children's book about how it is okay to be different. Throughout the book it is all pictures of different races or different animals. It will say something like "it is okay to be a different color" or it is okay to have two moms". It is suppose to tell children that it is okay to have friends that are ...more
Maddi Holmes
Nov 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I would recommend this book for the early primary grades, kindergarten through first grade. It can be implemented into all grade levels, but is at an early primary grade independent reading level. I would categorize it as contemporary realistic fiction.

I absolutely love Todd Parr! I love how you can see the cover of one of his books, and instantly know that it is his. I think it is brilliant to use random colors when coloring in objects and people. This way people are not feeling discriminated,
Hyesu Kang
Jan 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It is about multicultural and social issue book. This book treats different kinds of topics such as race, disabilities, discrimination, and children's different thinking. It help to children to understand difference between people. It is very simple and short, but it include a lot of contents. For example, this book treats people who have disabilities. That person ride wheel chair , and he smiles. Then, he wrote “It is ok”. In fact, disabilities might be a serious problem for young children, but ...more
Edna Velasquez
Dec 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
Awards: None
Grade Level: Pre-k-6th
Summary: This book teaches children that it is okay to be different and your own individual person. It shows that not everyone has the same features or qualities and it is not a bad thing.
Review: I love this book it is suited for children, because I think that it is a good to show children that everyone is different and are unique. Especially if bullying going on, or another problem that makes a student feel inferior to being different. The colors are very intr
Erica Selley
Nov 28, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book's meaning is in the title: It's Okay to Be Different. This is an excellent book for readers who are having a hard time understanding the concept of everyone being different. Children have a hard time understanding that everyone is different in their own way and that's okay, but it doesn't make them any less of a being. This is when the bullying stages begin, because children are trying to hide the fact that they are different.
The vibrant colors in this story make it easy for the reader
Elaine Savage
Apr 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-lit
This book is truly wonderful. A book that honors differences and even says how it is okay, the range on all the differences is adorable too. It's okay to eat mac n cheese in the tub, it's okay to be adopted, it's to wear glasses and it's okay to dance by yourself. I want for my children and students to honor each other's differences and be secure in themselves. This is a book that I would read to my students on the first day of school to start the year off loving each other no matter what. I'm t ...more
Dawn
Sep 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Todd Parr consistently hits it out of the park--conveying simple truths that both children and grown-ups need to hear. In his book, different encompasses many things from appearances to intuitions to dreams to preferences.

My only gripe is that I find "okay" to be an inadequate word. I would have preferred "It's Good to Be Different" or even "It's Great to be Different." I think that's the sentiment behind Parr's books generally. I wish he would have just taken a bit stronger stand in this book.
Becky
Jun 28, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's not like this is mind-blowing, but it's so perfect for when you need this kind of book when a kid is either feeling different and like it's not ok but needs the remind that it's totally fine OR if a kid is being a little jagoff and needs a reminder that differences are ok... and to quit being a little jagoff. A solid addition to any public or classroom library, though probably wouldn't be a standout in a home library.
Ashlee Reed
Nov 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Age: Lower Elementary
Genre: Realistic Fiction

This cute colorful story is a great way to have students begin their comprehension on differences. I did this with a kindergarten class once. I read the story, we talked about how we can all be different, yet the same age and in the same class. Then after we drew self portraits. It was a fun activity and the kids enjoyed it.
The story is short and easy read. Perfect for those younger grades.
Shelby Miller
Sep 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-book
This book would be an ideal choice for boosting a child's self esteem and giving them that reassurance that we're all different and it's completely acceptable. I loved everything about this book!
Topics: being yourself, self esteem, disabilities, body size, competition, feelings/emotion, adoption, same gender parents, friendship, solutions to problems, self-image, family structure, pets, eating habits, physical appearance.
Menna Admasu
Oct 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book shows how it's okay to be different. We all have things that make us different from one another. If we continuously look at those differences it can cause conflict between each other. It's good to embrace our differences, but still come together. This book goes good with my topic because it is an encouraging way to show that it's okay to be different from others in your class. Embracing your differences makes you who you are.
Megan Patel
Mar 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Todd Parr writes this great simple story that teaches children it is okay to be different and your own individual person. This story shows that people and things are different and that it's okay. Some people wear glasses and some people don't. Some people have missing teeth but others don't. This story allows children to know that differences are okay and not a bad thing and that not every person is the same.
The illustrations in this book are descriptive and help understand what the author is t
Elizabeth Ramsey
Apr 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-lit
This book delivers an important of how it is okay to be different. The book uses colorful colors and silly pictures to relate to kids. This book really hits the emotions of children and how they see things.

I loved this book! Yes it is very short and easy to read but it's message is great and very important. Something that I would love to read at the beginning of the year to set the tone that the class will be filled with students that are all different from each other and that is okay.
Eryn O'Shaughnessy
I loved reading this book to my daughter. She’s sometimes upset that her skin and my skin aren’t the same. I’ve looked for other books on being okay to be different, and this is the best one I’ve found. Her school has lots of different ethnic groups, but it’s sometimes hard for her being the only one with brown skin in the family. She felt good after this book.
Katie Easter
Nov 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Genre: Fiction- Informational
Grade Level: preK-6th Grade

I love this book. It is suited for children, but I think that it is a good reminder that could be read in any age class especially if there is bullying going on, or some other problem making a student feel inferior to being different. The colors will captivate and keep the attention of students. I definitely recommend this book.
  • Whoever You Are