Start by marking “The Enemy (It Happened in Charleston, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Enemy (It Happened in Charleston, #2)

The Enemy

(It Happened in Charleston #2)

It’s been twelve years since I’ve seen him. Twelve years since he won our war of wits by outsmarting me with a tactic I didn’t even know was allowed. But tonight…I resurrect the battle.

Ryan Henderson is back in town for our best friends’ wedding, and I plan on showing him exactly how much I don’t care about him—or the almost kiss he ruthlessly dangled over me after graduat
Published August 29th 2020

To ask other readers questions about The Enemy, please sign up.

Start your review of The Enemy (It Happened in Charleston, #2)
mila
Aug 30, 2020 rated it liked it
“Okay, here it is, then, June Bug. I’m going to lay it all out so there’s no room for confusion. I love you. I always have. Pretty certain I always will.”
I raise up onto my tiptoes to brush my lips over Ryan’s as I whisper, “I win.”

I'm a bit conflicted about how to rate this book. I enjoyed it? yes, most of it. I was waiting for something better and am I a bit disappointed? Also yes. I think my expectations after reading The Match were too high and quickly deflated when I started this book.

T
Mia
Aug 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
“𝑰'𝒎 𝒈𝒐𝒊𝒏𝒈 𝒕𝒐 𝒍𝒂𝒚 𝒊𝒕 𝒂𝒍𝒍 𝒐𝒖𝒕 𝒔𝒐 𝒕𝒉𝒆𝒓𝒆'𝒔 𝒏𝒐 𝒓𝒐𝒐𝒎 𝒇𝒐𝒓 𝒄𝒐𝒏𝒇𝒖𝒔𝒊𝒐𝒏. 𝑰 𝒍𝒐𝒗𝒆 𝒚𝒐𝒖. 𝑰 𝒂𝒍𝒘𝒂𝒚𝒔 𝒉𝒂𝒗𝒆. 𝑷𝒓𝒆𝒕𝒕𝒚 𝒄𝒆𝒓𝒕𝒂𝒊𝒏 𝑰 𝒂𝒍𝒘𝒂𝒚𝒔 𝒘𝒊𝒍𝒍."

I honestly think The Enemy is that kind of book anyone would enjoy – wonderfully written is a very entertaining way, griping from the very beginning and perfect if you love cute enemies to lovers stories. I’ve read many books with this trope, so trust me when I say Sarah Adams book is great one.

This was such an awesome read! I’m not exaggerating when I’m saying this June and Ry
Katie W
One of my favorites!

Isn't it known that the closest emotion to love is hate? Ryan and June have been bitter enemies since high school and now, twelve years later, it's still war, especially when June realizes that Ryan has changed.

"Gone is the boyishness of his face. Gone are the lanky arms and legs. It's still Ryan staring me down, but Ryan the man. Ryan 2.0. Ryan maple-glazed and covered in sprinkles."

The Enemy is a perfectly snarky, hilarious romantic comedy that had me laughing and swooni
gilda
Aug 31, 2020 rated it it was ok
I wish I had enjoyed this more but I was annoyed for almost the entire book
Kathy
Y'all, have you discovered the wonderfulness of Ms Sarah Adams yet? She can write historical. She can write contemporary. I'm pretty sure she could make a medical textbook seem swoony.

I admit, I skipped the first book (I totally plan on reading it) because I have a soft-spot for enemies-to-lover tropes. I love them. Like a lot. And it was handled just perfectly in this book! Seriously, June and Ryan have pretty epic chemistry, a love-hate relationship that started in high school and hasn't let
konstantina avouri
Sep 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
you deserve each other ‏‏‎ ‏‏‎ ‏‏‎ ‏‏‎ ‏‏‎ the enemy⁣
‏‏‎ ‏‏‎ ‏‏‎ ‏‏‎ ‏‏‎ ‏‏‎ ‏‏‎ ‏‏‎ ‏‏‎ ‏‏‎ ‏‏‎ ‏‏‎ ‏‏‎ ‏‏‎ ‏‏‎ ‏‏‎ ‏‏‎ ‏‏‎ ‏‏‎ ‏‏‎ ‏‏‎ ‏‏‎ ‏‏‎ ‏‏‎ ‏‏‎ ‏‏‎ ‏‏‎ ‏‏‎ ‏‏‎ ‏‏‎ ‏‏‎ ‏‏‎ ‏‏‎ ‏‏‎ ‏‏‎ ‏‏‎ ‏‏‎ ‏‏‎ 🤝
pulling pranks on each other to build the sexual tension

4.25/5 ⭐

Absolutely loved this one Sarah Adams please don't stop writing romance books.

Blog review here ⇾ https://greekmusereads.wordpress.com/...
Tara
Aug 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Ok, if I’m being 100% honest, I was slightly nervous and skeptical going into this book. I LOVED The Match (#1 in this series)...and when I say I loved It, I mean LOOOOOVED it. I was so excited when I realized #2 was coming out and that it would be June’s story! Then when I got the book, all of a sudden, I got nervous. “What if I don’t love it as much? What if it’s just a bit of a letdown?” But I dove in because I couldn’t help it. I. ADORED. IT. I couldn’t stop (except when necessary to feed my ...more
Aimee (Getting Your Read On)
I have a confession. I was so worried heading into this book- worried that it wouldn't be as good as the first one, worried that I would be disappointed. It's just that The Match was SO good and I loved it SO much. I really had my hopes up with this book, all the fingers crossed. You know? Please let it be as good. Please, please.

Ha! It is now fair and safe to say that this book exceeded all my expectations. It is possible that I loved it more than the first book (that feels like betrayal though
chantelle
Sep 01, 2020 rated it liked it
3.5 stars.

while i'm not a big fan of the writing style because sometimes these characters do not... seem their age, these are just awfully adorably light and fluff books. june and ryan were soft af and i liked this more than the match!
Kathy Jo
Have you ever had one of those weeks where you're stressed to the max, frustrated and all you want to do is run far away from it all? That has been my week. Since I can't really do that, I did the next best thing. I escaped into a book and lived vicariously through the characters. It was just what the doctor ordered!

When it comes to enemies to lovers tropes, there's nothing better than a sassy, feisty heroine and a determined, sexy hero. June and Ryan fit that bill to a T. From the moment these
Melissa
She just gets better and better. I have so enjoyed Adams books, but this one topped them all. This was so much fun, from the first pages to the last. I LOVE when an author shows the tension, you can feel how attracted they are too each other and the story line supports them inching toward each other. The Story is about 2 people falling in love with normal everyday circumstances that a good author can bring to life and you get to feel it too. June Bug was just so cute! She is a little sassy south ...more
Jessica
Aug 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Thank you Sarah Adams for allowing me to read this early for an honest review!⁣

Do you like Hallmark movies/books? If so, you need to check out 𝘛𝘩𝘦 𝘌𝘯𝘦𝘮𝘺 because dang, it was fantastic. ⁣

Oh. My. Gosh. Sarah has done it again with an adorable story. This enemies to lovers story was filled with gushing moments, snark, banter, swoony moments & so much more! Sarah writes fun characters that quickly enter their way into your heart. June was a sweet & kind heroine and Ryan was a hard working, lovable
Ashley
Aug 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I loved this rom com sooooo much! I had to read it all in one day. It is funny and sweet! I laughed so much! I seriously smiled the whole time I was reading. Great light-hearted and swoony love story.
susana ♡
my heart is so full my smile is so big my eyes are so starry I LOVED THIS SO MUCHHHHH!!!!!!!
mika
Aug 30, 2020 rated it liked it
this was cute, but there wasn’t enough angst for me.

syd♡
i just know that i can always trust sarah adams. her books are always so good and ofc i ended up loving this one too! 😭💞

juneryan is soooo cute and adorable istg. their banters are chefs kiss. and i love the fact that ryan always love it when june is being angry at him ugh that man loves to tease her 24/7 and i love everything about it. ok so i can say this one is boy-obsessed-with-girl trope then😹
Andi
5 STARS

I'm gonna go ahead and rate this book a 5 because why the hell not? I LOVE IT. It was way better than the first one! Waaaaay better! The Enemy was a light, delightful read. June and Ryan's banters were hilarious, I was laughing left and right. Now, this is what I call a romantic comedy!

The story line may feel easy but it tackled pressing issues like June having low self-esteem and her struggles about her body image. It was nice to have Ryan as her support system because she managed to get
Elisa ❀
Nov 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2020-favorites
I want a Ryan!
Anna Reads Here
Aug 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Synopsis: June and Ryan go way back. Their story starts when they were in high school and after a situation goes slightly wrong, they part company and then are reunited for the wedding of their mutual friends. And the pranks begin and the feelings resurface and through it all, it’s just confusing June and Ryan about where they really stand in each other’s lives.

Review: First off, this book was hilarious. I was howling with laughter right from the start. June Broaden is the best character ever an
Nina
Aug 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
❝𝐎𝐤𝐚𝐲, 𝐡𝐞𝐫𝐞 𝐢𝐭 𝐢𝐬, 𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐧, 𝐉𝐮𝐧𝐞 𝐁𝐮𝐠. 𝐈’𝐦 𝐠𝐨𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐭𝐨 𝐥𝐚𝐲 𝐢𝐭 𝐚𝐥𝐥 𝐨𝐮𝐭 𝐬𝐨 𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐫𝐞’𝐬 𝐧𝐨 𝐫𝐨𝐨𝐦 𝐟𝐨𝐫 𝐜𝐨𝐧𝐟𝐮𝐬𝐢𝐨𝐧. 𝐈 𝐥𝐨𝐯𝐞 𝐲𝐨𝐮. 𝐈 𝐚𝐥𝐰𝐚𝐲𝐬 𝐡𝐚𝐯𝐞. 𝐏𝐫𝐞𝐭𝐭𝐲 𝐜𝐞𝐫𝐭𝐚𝐢𝐧 𝐈 𝐚𝐥𝐰𝐚𝐲𝐬 𝐰𝐢𝐥𝐥.❞

My June Bug and Mr. Darcy I LOVE YOU SO MUCH!!! THE ENEMY MADE MY HEART SO FULL!!! SARAH ADAMS ALWAYS ALWAYS DELIVERS!!!

I don’t even know how to articulate my thoughts on this book other then to squeal in excitement. I remember reading the first two lines and having to pause and think wow what a way to start a book and that was literally my wh
Wendy
Sep 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
What an incredible follow up to The Match! If you like enemies to lovers, you need to pick this one up!

Some of my favorite things:
- Humor! Wit! Banter! Laugh out loud moments! Who doesn't want to have fun while reading!?
- June's love for Nick Lachey - I'm a Backstreet Boys kind of girl but the picturing June with all the Nick Lachey gear really made me smile.
- June's entire family - I want to be part of her family. I fell in love with them in The Match and I want to be invited to their weekly
Ilhaam
Nov 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
“Admit that you’ve been pining away for me all these years.”
The dare floats between us, and the only evidence that he even heard me is when the corner of his mouth lifts the tiniest bit. “June, I’ve been pining away for you all these years.”

NO THIS BOOK. I LOVE IT. even though i feel robbed that ryan yelling at his staff was censored, I LOVE IT.
Summer Dowell
Aug 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! Sarah has the best, wittiest writing style that doesn't stop. Its a fun, swoony read that will leave you feeling so good! ...more
jordane
Aug 31, 2020 rated it liked it
“You opened my eyes, June, and I see with perfect clarity that I want you. A life with you and all the craziness we are together.”

I really liked the beginning of the book and was curious to see how June and Ryan’s story would unfold, but at some point the story dragged on. I found their story boring until they went on their first date which didn’t happen until the very end of the book. June and Ryan were cute together, but I wish we had more scenes with them as a couple
Silvia (roomforbooks)
Sep 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
I feel like the #1 thing everyone should know about this is that there’s no S.E.X. scenes, which is not a big deal in this case because the banter, chemistry and funny scenes more than make up for it.
Molin
Aug 30, 2020 rated it liked it
I was disappointed. June was a stubborn woman and very childish. It's still fun to read tho but my expectation was so higher than this. ...more
Lucinda
Sep 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Read this pretty much in one sitting. It's better than the first one, and I loved that one too.

Run and get this. Cutest story I've read in a long time. So good!
Sarah Monzon
Sep 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Not many books have literallly made me laugh out loud (you know, actually hearing yourself) but this one did. Spanish speaking ghost anyone? Don’t get the reference? Read the book.
Yvonne (It's All About Books)

Finished reading: February 20th 2021

"But at the end of the day, this version of me is just that. A version. It's fake."

(view spoiler)
Tee.
Dec 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
All the Michelin stars & more

I started reading this book at night, right before I went to sleep and I was done reading it this afternoon. I have said it before and I will say it again, friends to enemies to lovers is the best trope there is and NO ONE can change my mind!

Yes, you can see who’ll end up with whom from a mile away but there were things and situations that made the book, the story and characters really different from the ones we usually read about. Also, they were such relatable
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Please add page numbers 2 9 Aug 23, 2020 11:15PM

• Falling for Your Best Friend's Twin (Love Clichés, #1)
  • If It's Perfect (The Wedding Business #1)
  • Suits and Spark Plugs
  • Love From Scratch: A Laugh Out Loud Romantic Comedy
  • The Accidental Text
  • Falling for Your Boss (Love Clichés, #2)
  • Oh, Keep Your Shirt On (Shaped By Love #2)
  • First Kiss Train Wreck (Shaped by Love #3)
  • Love Redesigned
  • A Temporary Marriage (Fake Love #1)
  • The Lady and the Highwayman (The Dread Penny Society #1)
  • A Man Worth Shaving For (Shaped By Love #1)
  • Ever After Always (Bergman Brothers, #3)
  • All's Fair in Love and Blood
  • The Trouble with Hating You
  • Falling for Your Fake Fiancé (Love Clichés #3)
  • The Christmas Letters
  • The Roses of Feldstone

It Happened in Charleston (2 books)
  • The Match (It Happened in Charleston, #1)