Jump to ratings and reviews

Sixteen Scandals

In this Regency story, newly minted sixteen-year-old Primrose Ainsworth finds herself on a wayward birthday adventure through London with a mysterious hero.

The youngest of four daughters, Primrose Ainsworth is used to getting lost in the shuffle. But when her parents decide to delay her debut into English society, Prim hatches a plan to go rogue on the night of her sixteenth birthday.

Donning a mask, Prim escapes to the infamous Vauxhall Gardens for one wild night. When her cover is nearly blown, a mysterious stranger intercedes, and Prim finds an unexpected partner in mischief . . . and romance. But when it’s revealed her new ally isn’t who he says he is, her one night of fun may last past dawn.

256 pages, Hardcover

Sophie Jordan

69 books7,986 followers
Pseudonym:
Sharie Kohler

Sophie Jordan took her adolescent daydreaming one step further and penned her first historical romance in the back of her high school Spanish class. This passion led her to pursue a degree in English and History.

A brief stint in law school taught her that case law was not nearly as interesting as literature - teaching English seemed the natural recourse. After several years teaching high school students to love Antigone, Sophie resigned with the birth of her first child and decided it was time to pursue the long-held dream of writing.

In less than three years, her first book, Once Upon A Wedding Night, a 2006 Romantic Times Reviewers' Choice Nominee for Best First Historical, hit book shelves. Her second novel, Too Wicked To Tame, released in March 2007 with a bang, landing on the USA Today Bestseller's List.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
131 (8%)
1 star
23 (1%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 394 reviews
Profile Image for Miranda Reads.
1,588 reviews153k followers
April 12, 2021
description

100 days into 2021 and 100 books have been read. Check out my latest BookTube Video to see which ones are my fave!
The Written Review
description
Primrose has spent her life behind bars - okay not really, but her mother might as well imprisoned her.

From the moment Primrose could talk, her mother has set laid down the rules - Lady Druthers' Guide to be precise - and absolutely refused any and all signs of rebellion.

While Primrose has chaffed around having such strict guidelines for her life, she has played the role of dutiful daughter to a T (or...rather close to a T) all in hopes for her 16th birthday - where she would finally (FINALLY) get a chance to join her sisters at the parties and balls.

But when her birthday finally comes - disappointment.

Her mother is more concerned with getting Astrid married and decides to postpone Primrose's debut indefinitely.

And that sparks a little bit of rebellion in Primrose's heart.

I have liked a total of five historical fiction books in my life - so this is NOT my genre of choice (by no exaggeration) so take it from me - this book was ah-maz-ing.

I loved it.

It was so, so much fun to read.

The characters were well-done, the romance was light and perfect. I seriously want to re-read it, it was THAT good!!

This book had sixteen chapters, with each chapter beginning with an "excerpt" from the etiquette guide, which ties into that chapter (as one of the sixteen scandals) - which made for a fun tie-in with the title.

All in all, this was a great book!

I received a free copy in exchange for an honest review

YouTube | Blog | Instagram | Twitter | Facebook | Snapchat @miranda_reads
Profile Image for Stacee.
2,670 reviews701 followers
June 3, 2021
This seemed like a fun idea, so I couldn’t resist it.

I liked Prim. She wants to see society, is a bit naive and a lot eager to go out into the world. Her BFF Olympia is lovely and Prjm’s sisters are loyal at the end. Of course the parents aren’t the best and that’s the basis of the conflict.

Plot wise, it moves pretty fast. There’s loads of inner monologue and I found myself skimming to the dialogue sections. I enjoyed the slice of time and speedy resolution towards the HEA, but definitely would have liked a bit more fleshed out.

Overall, it was a quick read, but not likely one that will stick with me.

**Huge thanks to the publisher for providing the arc free of charge**
Profile Image for Anna Jackson.
330 reviews2 followers
October 23, 2020
I was drawn into this book by comparisons to My Lady Jane...and if you were too, be forewarned! This book does not have the wit, the driving plot, or the fun character development of My Lady Jane. In fact, I'd say this comparison is an insult to My Lady Jane. So keep that in mind if you continue to read this review - I have been ruined on this book by bad comparisons to one of my favorite novels!

This book was ok. Or at least the first half was. An interesting enough premise, but honestly, the writing felt very young and immature - like a romance author was intentionally writing something conspicuously for a 12 year old. Which isn't bad in and of itself, except that I was expecting a fun YA storyline, not a ridiculous watered down regency romance. And (minor spoilers ahead)

Basically, this book was an ode to all 12-13 year old girls who have ever wanted to live vicariously through a *slightly* more exciting story of Pride and Prejudice (at least a bit more scandalous version!). Maybe because most regency books read a little older (see *mature*) I found myself rolling my eyes so many times at the complete immaturity of the characters ("I'm 16 - I'm an adult!" "He was 19 and totally mature" whine whine whine blah blah blah gag me. I'm sure this is realistic for teenagers, but I guess I just don't expect it from regency/historical fiction.)

Anyway, thanks to the publisher for letting me read it and thanks to Edelweiss for the advance copy. Hand this one to younger teens who can't get enough regency. Otherwise, skip.

If you want better YA regency, try Cindy Anstey or if you want a better romancy historical fiction try Kathleen Baldwin's School for Unusual Girls, or if you like a little sci-fi in your regency, pick up Alison Goodman's Dark Days Club. (I'll stop with my reader's advisory for now!)
Profile Image for Jenni Sauer.
Author 10 books59 followers
February 6, 2022
Okay, but I did NOT expect to love this as much as I did. It looked cute and fun and I thought I'd give it a try. I didn't expect to fly through it, for it to make me cry at the end, and for me to absolutely, utterly adore Prim as much as I do. But of course I love her, she's the little sister

This book is fun and clever and romantic and all in all just a wonderful little book. I'm entranced. Jacob and Prim have my whole heart. All of it. Just took up residence and now live there rent free. And I have no complaints

All in all, a solid five stars. I could probably find objective things to complain about but I won't look for them. It's not a perfect book, but it's perfect to me 💕
Profile Image for eyes.2c.
2,309 reviews44 followers
June 4, 2021
Adventurous sixteen year old breaks out!

Improbably charming YA regency romance romp with a ‘not so Cinderella’ younger sister, Primrose Ainsworth, who decides to celebrate her sixteenth birthday at an entirely unsuitable place. Trouble arises (of course!) and she’s rescued by a not much older handsome young man Jacob, (next best thing to a prince as we come to see)
There be metaphorical dragons a plenty, including Primrose’s own mother!
Strong echos of the movie 16 Candles, set in Regency times. Enjoyable YA novel that older readers, including myself, will enjoy.

A Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Children's Book ARC via NetGalley
Profile Image for Caden.
272 reviews7 followers
December 16, 2020
2.5/5 stars!

A huge thank you to NetGalley and HMH Books for Young Readers for sending me an E-ARC for an honest review.

Okay... so this book. I have SO MANY mixed feelings about this book. For one, it was so short. This story was rushed and didn't even feel like a novel. It felt more like a short story. (If it is meant to be a short story and I just missed that memo, I apologize.) I was so excited to read this because I absolutely LOVE historical fiction novels. However, there were a few things that just made me a bit uncomfortable, one being the romance. I loved it on one hand because the main guy was fun and charming and usually stories like their romance work for me. However, on the other hand I felt like the age gap between the two characters was unnecessary and made it a bit awkward for the reader. I would have liked it a bit more if the main character was a few years older. The romance felt way too much like instalove. This, and the main character's naivete made the age difference even more awkward and slightly concerning. The writing and the main character felt really immature.

There were some really interesting conversations happening in the book, especially about gender roles of the time. However, I felt like everything was rushed. I feel like this book had SO MUCH potential, and I kept reading because I could see the story's potential and the threads that should have been developed/could have turned into a really good book. However, the book itself didn't even feel like it had a flushed out plot.

I really wanted more from this story.

Thanks for reading!
Caden
Profile Image for Jen Ryland.
1,430 reviews899 followers
Read
June 11, 2021
Ignore the low Goodreads rating and try this book if you like Regency fiction.

I was charmed by this one, which took the movie 16 Candles and (sort of) turned it into a comic Regency romp. Primrose is the youngest of four sisters and is excited for her sixteenth birthday, when she can finally enter society and start to do fun things. Unfortunately, her sister is getting married and her other sister is still unmarried, so her mother tells her, sorry, no. She'll have to wait.
So Prim and her best friend sneak off to Vauxhall for a magical night during which she is rescued and romanced by a mysterious boy. (This section had a probably historically accurate but still horrifying portrayal of animal abuse).

Yes, this felt a bit short but I found it really entertaining and sweet. PERFECT for fans of Bridgerton as it has a similar irreverent vibe.

Read more of my reviews on JenRyland.com! Let's be friends on Bookstagram!

Thanks to the publisher for providing an advance copy for review!
Profile Image for Lisa Mandina.
1,812 reviews407 followers
May 15, 2021
I don’t know how it didn’t hit me from the title alone, Sixteen Scandals totally has plot or story-lines from the movie Sixteen Candles. Which, as I am a child of the 80s and of course loved most of the John Hughes movies universe, I am loving those bits! Also with the popularity of Bridgerton this past year, this book is definitely one that I think is going to be a huge hit. By the end of the book I was totally in love with the whole story! It was so much fun! I also had the final song from the Sixteen Candles movie, If You Were Here by the Thompson Twins, going through my head when I finished the book and put my e-reader away.

The story took place over one day/night really for the most part, again like the movie. And of course the reader knows who Prim’s secret ally is in the story, even if she doesn’t quite put it together till the very end. All the adventures that Prim has during the night, not all good of course, there are the people out to pick pockets and other things in the mysterious and infamous Vauxhall Gardens. I really enjoyed all the different things that went on, getting a look at what people of the time might have found amusing, whether it be actually interesting, or somewhat upsetting. It was nice to see that Primrose really did have more people in her corner in the end than she assumed, but man did I want to slap her mother so much! I also wonder what happened to her friend Olympia during the time they were separated, and wonder if the author could possibly do a companion story about her night.

I’ve been a fan of Sophie Jordan’s YA books for a long time, and this one makes me think I need to read some of her adult romances that might be similar to this one. I’ll probably end up adding this to my new school library next year.

Review first posted on Lisa Loves Literature.
Profile Image for Lauren.
509 reviews76 followers
May 19, 2021
A huge thank you to NetGalley, Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Children's Book Group, and of course Sophie Jordan for the eARC of this book. I am voluntarily leaving a review- all opinions are my own.

This was so cute. It was like a YA version of Bridgerton but the events had to move quickly to help the story progress.

I've seen people comment on how it seemed a bit like insta-love, and while I do admit the characters barely knew each other, Prim had only ever seen a couple boys outside of her home, and her visits were so limited as it was, how could she not be enamored by the handsome stranger?

Another thing people seemed to comment on was the age gap- but it was only 3 years and given her sister's marital status to way older men, this didn't bother me in the slightest, 16 and 19 isn't a big gap.

I did enjoy how things played out for Prim and loved how many little snags in her plan she ran into, yet each time she tried to think quickly on her feet and was so true to her mission. I loved watching her spirit continue through this, despite her mother and the comments she made.

This was a cute, fun little historical fiction novel that I would definitely recommend.
Profile Image for Sara.
87 reviews5 followers
May 26, 2021
I was really looking forward to this book. It was one my most anticipated books of 2021, but unfortunately.... it wasn’t that good.

I did not like how she spent so much of her time thinking, even between dialogue the characters would be deep in thought about her family or other things and it was annoying because at some point you even forget what the dialogue is! The present moment’s party the character was in were interesting enough and so much more could’ve been done in describing the place the feelings and emotions of the present rather than thinking about other things!

Also this might be my fault but I went in expecting that their relationship would occur throughout multiple days and we’d see it gradually grow instead of being one day which seemed a bit rushed

It also seemed Jacob (which I hate this name but personal preference I suppose) was a perfect male character with no flaws? I mean come on!

I like that the author added an epilogue, authors usually leave the story with an open ending which I don’t personally like, however it would’ve been wonderful if the epilogue was of after the wedding or the wedding itself.

Anyways long story short was excited about this book but became disappointed as I read it.
Profile Image for Morgan.
321 reviews139 followers
May 17, 2021
Primrose is the youngest of four girls. On her sixteenth birthday her family tells her that she will not be able to have a season until the third daughter is engaged. Not only that, but they leave her home alone on her birthday while they go out and do things. She convinces her best friend, Olympia, to sneak out with her and go to Vauxhall for the night.

At Vauxhall, she gets separated from Olympia but runs into Jacob. Jacob and Prim spend the evening searching for Olympia. In the meantime they share lots of adventures and kisses. Their goodbye is abrupt and just a wave across a sea of people. Jacob learned enough about her that night though to find a way to see her again. I loved this ending and the way it all came together.

This is a very sweet, short young adult historical romance. While I would have probably loved this way more if it was an adult romance, I appreciate it for what it was! It was an adorable young adult novel!

5 stars
I received this book for free in return for an honest review.
Profile Image for Erin.
562 reviews36 followers
June 29, 2021
3 Stars

To be fair (and I am being fair in this rating), this book is exactly what is purports to be. If you're looking for something well-researched, back out now. This book isn't by any means serious historical fiction. It is not even serious historical romance. It's got the regency trappings, but if you want the history to back it up, this book isn't for you.

If you're looking for a lighthearted, vaguely-historical romance, I guess this one will do. It has some fairytale motifs. It's full of the scandal it promises, and it doesn't take a lot of mental energy to get through. Sure, the background characters are one-dimensional (that dimension being "melodramatic"), and the dialogue is cringeworthy, but what more can you expect?

I didn't particularly enjoy this book, but I didn't hate it. I didn't hate it because it is exactly what it claims to be. And there's merit in that.

My full (rather mixed-bag) review will be available July 23 at Gateway Reviews.
Profile Image for Elevetha .
1,721 reviews165 followers
September 28, 2021
I dunno whether to give it two or three stars.

Prose/writing was on point, and was really pretty enjoyable to read.

My main issue with this was really just that it should have either been a short story or written differently to accommodate the longer length. It very much has a beginning, middle, and end, with the largest chunk taking place over one night at the Vauxhall Gardens.

Enjoyed reading it but felt like it was missing something. Not one I would probably ever come back to or recommend.
Profile Image for Kirstyn (readwithkirstyn).
462 reviews19 followers
May 25, 2021
This one was a cute romance, but just didn't keep me hooked or entertained during the story. I honestly found myself rather bored.
Profile Image for Kristina Birch.
722 reviews20 followers
June 18, 2021
Sixteen Candles with a dash of Ferris Buller’s Day Off but make it Regency = Regency YA Perfection!

Primrose had such high expectations for her sixteenth birthday until her family seemed to barely remember it even was her birthday and informed her that her coming out would be delayed. Determined to snatch a little slice of happiness and adventure on her special day, her and her best friend decide to sneak out to Vauxhall Gardens…unchaperoned!

Jacob and Olympia were absolutely perfect as Prim’s partners in adventure and my heart broke for Prim when confronted with her mother’s indifference and disdain in turns. But this is also a ya romance so in the end we get the kiss, the ball, and romance that Prim deserves (for me it was even better than Jake Ryan outside the church!)

The adventure, the romance, the difficult mother-daughter relationship, the friendship, and the sisterhood were so well balanced and created a story that felt at once like a classic historical romance and a modern set YA. It just goes to show that Sophie Jordan can write any genre and I’m going to love it (as long as there’s a little kissing!)

And the nods to Sixteen Candles made my heart so happy!

I received a complimentary review copy of this book but all opinions are my own.
Profile Image for Alex (The Scribe Owl).
339 reviews107 followers
May 29, 2021
See this review and more at my blog, The Scribe Owl!

Thank you to Edelweiss+ and HMH Books for Young Readers for an ARC in exchange for an honest review.

3/5 stars

Sixteen Scandals was an entertaining but somewhat forgettable YA historical romance.

This was an incredibly fun, incredibly quick read. But though I had a great time reading it, it wasn't very memorable.

While I enjoy reading lighthearted books such as this one, they all blend into one in my mind. There wasn't a single aspect that set it apart from other books in the genre, no matter how cute and enjoyable.

All in all, this was an enjoyable book. I would recommend it if you're looking for a quick lighthearted historical romance, but it doesn't have anything deeper than that.
Profile Image for Megan (BookWifeReviews).
1,562 reviews53 followers
May 27, 2021
So this book was compared to My Lady Jane, which is one of my all time favorite books, so I picked it up immediately. Unfortunately this book did not live up to that claim.

This book read extremely young. I know it is a YA book but it reads younger than an average YA. The heroine is immature. It's been awhile since I have rolled my eyes that hard. It was also a pretty short book so everything was rushed.

I hate leaving negative reviews but there just wasn't a whole lot about this book I enjoyed.
Profile Image for Katherine Paschal.
2,123 reviews55 followers
February 2, 2021
Primrose is excited to finally be 16 and get to join the rest of her family in society, but unfortunately her family basically ignores her on her special day. Even worse, her mother informs her that she will delay her introduction to society for at least a year, so Prim will have to stay hidden away from everything she longs for. Taking matters into her own hands, Prim and her best friend decide that she needs at least one fun birthday encounter before resuming her boring life. But little did the girls know that this one night would lead to so much more.

I feel like at times the main character was too lost in her own head, spending pages reminiscing on one random thing that helped to make her relate to another random thing without anything really happening in the story. I was a little bored when those moments occurred, especially when she got lost in thought (for pages) in the middle of a conversation that I really wanted to see how it would play out.

Overall, this was a fun historical romance that took place over a single evening (for the most part), with a precocious girl who dreams of what could be yet is restricted by society (and the whims of her mother- who I really didn’t like and never had any redeeming features). The story wrapped up nicely (and oh so easy) so this could easily be a standalone book- but there was a sister and best friend who have yet to find love which I suspect will be in the same place and I would love to see that story. This was a quick clean read and can easily be enjoyed by any age.
Profile Image for Tia.
764 reviews252 followers
May 31, 2022
Please forgive my grammar and punctuation. I'm not at my best.

I found this book to be a mash up of three of my favorite movies and two books; Sixteen Candles, Pride & Prejudice and Bridgerton.

Primrose character reminded me of Penelope from Bridgerton. I couldn't think of Jake from Sixteen candles, especially when the beginning of the book is reminiscent of the beginning of that movie. An insufferable social climbing mother whose only goal is marriage for her many daughters is the twinning of Mrs. Bennet. One more that struck me was the friendship of Olympia and Prim and Penelope and Eloise Bridgerton.

In finding the coincidences in this novel made, for me, an entertaining fun read. Prim becomes the talk of the town for all the right reasons in the end. Her deciding to take her life and happiness in her own hands, for one night, changes the course that her Mom had planned for her ruin.

I recommend and will be adding Sixteen Scandals to my personal library. If you love regency and the books and movies I listed above I believe you will enjoy this book.

Thank you Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Children's Book Group/Clarion Books for an eARC for review.

Profile Image for Rachel.
1,554 reviews51 followers
January 29, 2021
I received a copy from the pulisher via Netgalley for an honest review.

I was SO excited for this novel from the first time I saw it pop up and was even more excited and grateful to get a copy to read. And it did not disappoint. If you are having Bridgerton withdrawals (because I watched it TWICE and after reading this moving on to the books!) this is EXACTLY what you would NEED!

This novel follows Primrose on her sixteenth birthday and her family greets her with....zero enthusiasm. If you have ever seen the fantastic Brat Pack movie Sixteen Candles, this is EXACTLY how this starts. But fear not, my dear reader, because a fabulous best friend (always good to have) and a scandalous idea save the day to make it one she will always remember! The ending was sweet and gave you a good close, however, also a bit of a door cracked to continue on the story....which I would ABSOLUTELY dive back into this world. AMAZING! I loved it!
3 reviews
December 15, 2021
I honestly thought this book would be corny and it was anything but! It was so sweet and written very well, gave me major Bridgeston vibes. (Jacob is my new book boyfriend!) The end of the book had me screaming it was so perfect. He promised her a waltz before they got separated in the crowd and he threw a ball just to find her and fulfill his promise to her❤️
This entire review has been hidden because of spoilers.
Profile Image for blaize !.
135 reviews
April 7, 2022
this was SUCH a slay like i ate this up. along w boarding school secret societies, shakespearean hi jinx romances is right up there too in my favourite tropes.

this book was so much fun and i def recommended! also i will be streaming bridgerton in the near future!
Profile Image for Maddielucy(Patti).
827 reviews15 followers
May 28, 2022
So adorable. Love Primrose and Jacob! I have to say, her mother was a nightmare….but it didn’t take away from this sweet book. Well done!
Profile Image for Becky.
4,988 reviews92 followers
April 11, 2021
First sentence: She was going to die here, crouched beneath a table on a dirty tavern room floor with bits and crumbs of food that predated the Magna Carta surrounding her. Glass shattered nearby, and she flinched, shrinking into herself as tiny shards sprayed her and the pungent scent of sweat, ale, and wine soaked the air. If this was to be it, then it was an ignominious end. She had always imagined there would be more to her life. She had simply imagined there would be . . . more life.

Premise/plot: Primrose Ainsworth wakes up on her sixteenth birthday convinced that her REAL life is about to begin. You could even insert a Disney-like "I want" song at this point and you wouldn't be wrong. Her hopes are soon dashed. Not only is her family not planning to celebrate her birthday, they're not planning to celebrate her year. She won't be coming out this year, OR, in other words she won't be getting her season. She'll still be "in the nursery," if you will.

Primrose, well, isn't PRIM. And she won't just take this INCREDIBLY BITTER news calmly and rationally. If her family won't celebrate her day with her and recognize her entry into womanhood, then she'll celebrate with her best friend. And what better way to celebrate than to sneak out of the house and literally go to the MOST DANGEROUS place in LONDON: Vauxhall Gardens.

If she survives the night--with her purity intact--and can make it home before she's discovered to be missing by the servants or her family, then it may just be the best night of her life. (Of course, she's not worried about her purity! It doesn't occur to her that any trouble whatsoever could ever befall her).

Of course, her plans, well, her plans get off to a shaky start and then completely flop and flail. But do they? Could the most unexpected night filled with unexpected-to-her dangers still end up being the best night of her life?

The thrills begin when she is separated from her friend and finds herself on her own...but not for long....

Enter Jacob.

My thoughts: Expectations. I would suggest beginning the novel with low-to-medium expectations. It may just surprise you if you start low enough. I found Sixteen Scandals to be a contradiction that probably shouldn't work but probably does for many, many readers--myself included.

Yes, it is predictable. There is nothing original or unique about it. Not the characters. Not the plot. Not the steamy scenes. Not the tied up with a bow ending. But here's the thing, depending on the genre, or sub-genre, or sub-sub-genre, predictability can be an asset. It can be a strength in the hearts and minds of the readers. Of course, not every single reader predictably likes predictable.

The characters. What can I say about Primrose? She was incredibly annoying, full of angst, selfish, naive, full of herself, and foolish. She reminded me of a preschooler with lipstick smeared across the bottom of her face, standing in her mother's high heels shuffling around telling everyone she's off to work. I mean Primrose is so obviously out of her element all the while she's proclaiming complete, full, total independence. What she is saying contradicts how she is behaving. And Jacob?! Well. I think Jacob reminds me of a Disney prince OR a twelve-year-old's ideal boyfriend. I think so much of what makes Jacob, Jacob, is found in the imagination. He's just about perfect in every way.

Primrose's family--well, in some ways it's stretching it to say they are cardboard cut-outs. I don't think they are even that well fleshed out. They are a means to an end. How can we introduce a problem so it can be overcome magically and usher us straight into a fireworks exploding happily ever after???

In some ways Sixteen Scandals is no more ridiculous than Disney's A Little Mermaid.

The steam. Sixteen Scandals offers some steam. Probably not enough for older readers; maybe just maybe a little too much for younger readers. It is neither clean nor graphic.

I saw one review criticize the book for "being written for twelve-year-olds." And I'm not sure I'd label it exactly that. But it probably does read babyish for adult readers who read adult romances. And perhaps even for a young adult audience who is used to more depth, substance, and graphic-ness in their romances.

I mentioned A Little Mermaid, but, maybe that isn't the best fit. Maybe more ENCHANTED.

In the end, I found it silly but charming. I can read criticisms and technically agree most of the time, but, I still liked it.
Profile Image for Ruei (Ruei's Reading Corner).
115 reviews11 followers
May 3, 2021
Full Review: https://rueisreadingcorner.blogspot.c...

Primrose "Prim" Ainsworth is the youngest of four daughters in the Ainsworth household. On her sixteenth birthday, she will finally be able to enter society. Little does she know, that doesn't happen. On the day of her birthday, there's no cake, no party, or any type of celebration for her. Instead, she receives news she was least expecting: she won't be entering society.

Because Aster had not yet been betrothed, Prim's entrance to society has been delayed. Later that day, Prim goes to see her best friend, Olympia, and her mom, Mrs. Zaher at a restaurant to celebrate Prim's birthday because Olympia's mom is the exact opposite of Prim's. After hearing about Prim's devastating news, Olympia and Prime hatch a plan to sneak out into a party at Vauxhall that very night to celebrate Prim's sixteenth birthday.

Sneaking out for an adventure? Yes, please!

Prim was my favorite character and I absolutely loved her because she's a lot like one of my best friends. Prim goes to break a few of her mom's rules because she's had a little too much restrictions, giving me a little rebel-like attitude. Sneaking out and having a hint of that wild, fun character makes me want to befriend her instantly.

The two girls sneak out to Vauxhall but they're then separated because of an incident that occurred. On Prim's way to locate Olympia, she stumbles upon the boy who she met earlier and the night turns out beyond what she expected. The adventures that Prim and Jacob take were really interesting and I felt as if I was part of it all.

Overall, I liked Sixteen Scandals. My first book by Sophie Jordan and it was good. It was easy to read and I loved the style of writing. It only took me a couple of hours to read as the pages flew by. One more thing. The cover art is amazing and though they say don’t judge a book by it’s cover, it definitely captured my attention.

**Thank you so much to Edelweiss and Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Books for sending me an Advanced Reader's Copy in exchange for an honest review!**
Profile Image for Meghan.
37 reviews4 followers
May 14, 2021
Many thanks to NetGalley for sending me an eARC in exchanged for an honest review!

Sixteen Scandals by Sophie Jordan follows Primrose, newly sixteen, as she disregards a lady's guide to etiquette by running away for a night for a risky adventure at Vauxhall. Upon getting separated by her best friend, Olympia, Primson meets the mysterious Jacob -- clearly nobility, although he refuses to elaborate. As the pair travel through the dangerous and exciting Vauxhall in search of Olympia, Prim is introduced to a world bigger and brighter than she'd imagined -- and now, with only one night to experience everything, she isn't sure how she'll be able to stomach going back to life as she knew it.

This story had a lot of potential. It was pretty cute, but very little happened -- everything felt very rushed and under developed, and I didn't feel like I had enough time with any of the characters to feel particularly attached to them. Prim as a main character felt split in terms of the writing. One moment I felt like I was reading from the POV of a twenty-something -- the next, a middle schooler. The writing also strove for a more victorian-era style, and although it definitely wasn't terrible, there were also many cheesy and overly-modern turns of phrases/words that took me out of the story. Regardless, it could serve as a good introduction to historical fiction for particularly young readers, but I hesitate to suggest that because of the romance.

The romance... could definitely have been fun, if it weren't for the fact that there is pretty an unnecessary age gap. Three years is perfectly fine when both are consenting adults -- not so much when the girl is 16 and has practically no knowledge of the real world. There's a pretty severe power imbalance at play by the end of this story. Also, writing pretty detailed makeout scenes featuring a 16 year old is just... kind of gross and wholly unnecessary?

This wasn't for me, in the end. There were a lot of moments that I had fun with, and I always enjoy a rogue noble thrown into the havoc of real life, but I just needed... more, in all areas.
Displaying 1 - 30 of 394 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.