Start by marking “A Trial of Sparks & Kindling (Fall of the Mantle #2)” as Want to Read:
A Trial of Sparks & Kindling (Fall of the Mantle #2)

A Trial of Sparks & Kindling (Fall of the Mantle #2)

Against all odds, Cara has been reunited with her brother, Frank. But at what cost to her companions? At what cost to herself? Collinefort is a place of intrigue and lies, where menace lurks in the shadows.

In greater Mordoux, the Salamander’s forces attack the resistance without end. Under the Mantle is civil war. Noble against slummer against commoner, and the rot plague
Kindle Edition

To ask other readers questions about A Trial of Sparks & Kindling, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Trial of Sparks & Kindling

Start your review of A Trial of Sparks & Kindling (Fall of the Mantle #2)
Raquel
Aug 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Wow, this was so much more than I expected! I laughed, I cried, I really felt for these characters!

I love how certain relationships developed and others unraveled - it was so real. There were no cliches and nothing was predictable about this book! Cara's character development was phenomenal and absolutely believable, considering the trials she faced in this installment. I absolutely cannot wait for the next one to see how Cara and Sera band together to save the world.

Jordan
Mar 13, 2021 rated it it was amazing
As a disclaimer, I was provided a free copy of Sparks & Kindling in exchange for an honest review. Since I had intended to read S&K anyway I believe the largest impact receiving the free copy had was making effort to put more detail into my review.

It is rare that I rate a book five stars, let alone a sequel. Even if objectively I can't see much wrong with a book of its genre, I leave five stars for 'favourites' where I enjoyed the book that extra bit more than an objectively great 4/5 book. S&K
Luzanne Warren
Jul 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020-reads
Deception, Mystery and Rebellion

The sequel to A Study of Ash and Smoke was everything I hoped it would be. Following Carabelle’s journey outside of the mantle, we find our characters dealing with paranoid King, a mind-blowing conspiracy to gain control of the crown, and Sera fighting for her and her loved one’s survival.

Thank you to Author Yolandie Horak for gifting me a review copy in exchange for my honest review.

Multiple POV’s that have come together to form the big picture in a magnificent w
J. R. Rainville
Mar 12, 2021 rated it it was amazing
After finishing A Study of Ash and Smoke, I NEEDED more of the characters and intrigue that make up Horak's Fall of the Mantle series. A Trial of Sparks and Kindling doesn't disappoint, starting off with intrigue and secrets that set a demanding yet deftly handled pace. While there are several perspectives and plots at play, Horak deftly weaves them together. Not a word is wasted nor a character mishandled. Secrets and lies whisper in darkened corners and each character must strive to discover t ...more
Mr Pink ink
Sep 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I do believe that summarizing the previous books in a series has become a lost art and I absolutely adore the way that the end of the first book was summarized; very short, very smooth and very succinctly!

Book 2 takes up where book 1 left us, our friends found by the people they went in search of and are now safe and sound in their hands; right? Has Cara risked everything to escape one hell only to stumble into another?

My most memorable moments:
- Cara seeing Celestine while in the closet...!!! a
Nerine Dorman
Can't rate 'cos I edited this. Another absolutely brilliant work from Yolandie. She really is one of my rising stars. ...more
Natalia Bonegio
Aug 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Yolandie Horak does it again! What an un-put-down-able novel!

The world expands immensely in the 2nd installment in this series, with our main character having escaped from under the mantle - a force field dome covering all of Aelland - and made it to her homeland of Mordoux, where her brother is the king and leader of the resistance.

However, all is not as it seems. As the previous book tought us, enemies can actually be friends, and this one teaches us that friends can turn out to be enemies. C
Riandi Hoon
Aug 16, 2020
Suneé Roux
Dec 05, 2020
Lira
Jul 28, 2020
Yolandie Horak
Jul 09, 2020 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: i-wrote
Jan 02, 2021
Lily Bagnall
Mar 27, 2021

• Keyflame
  • Wyrd Sisters (Discworld, #6; Witches #2)
  • Afterland
  • The Burning Maze (The Trials of Apollo, #3)
  • The Assassin's Blade (Throne of Glass, #0.1-0.5)
  • The Magpie Lord (A Charm of Magpies, #1)
  • City of Heavenly Fire (The Mortal Instruments, #6)
  • Your Voice Is All I Hear
  • City of Lost Souls (The Mortal Instruments, #5)
  • Lady Midnight (The Dark Artifices, #1)
  • Cinderella Is Dead
  • Percy Jackson and the Stolen Chariot (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #4.6)
  • Malamander (The Legends of Eerie-on-Sea, #1)
  • Lord of Shadows (The Dark Artifices, #2)
  • City of Fallen Angels (The Mortal Instruments, #4)
  • Heart of Tyr (Heart of the Citadel #2)
  • Heart Of Destiny (The Heart Of The Citadel #1)
Yolandie Horak can often be found typing away at the computer or nibbling at the end of a paintbrush. When not writing or making art, she spends her time cuddling her daughter and husband, reading, fangirling, or gaming.

She resides in Calgary, Canada, but misses the milk tart and koeksisters she frequently ate in her hometown of Johannesburg, South Africa. Her debut novel, A Study of Ash & Smoke,

News & Interviews