Start by marking “At the Stroke of Nine O'Clock” as Want to Read:
At the Stroke of Nine O'Clock

At the Stroke of Nine O'Clock

London 1949. The lives of three very different women are about to collide.

Like most working-class daughters, Caroline Wilby is expected to help support her family. Alone in a strange city, she must grab any opportunity that comes her way. Even if that means putting herself in danger.

Star of the silver screen, Ursula Delancy, has just been abandoned by the man she left her
Kindle Edition, 1, 330 pages
Published July 13th 2020 by Jane Davis

To ask other readers questions about At the Stroke of Nine O'Clock, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about At the Stroke of Nine O'Clock

Start your review of At the Stroke of Nine O'Clock
Kathleen Jones
Jul 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Christine Keeler meets Ruth Ellis: A compelling read

In the dark underworld of postwar London four women are trying to make their way in the world. But it doesn’t matter whether you’re a Duchess, a film star or a nightclub hostess, you aren’t in control of your own life. It was all black and white in 1950. Before the reform of an archaic legal system, before second-wave feminism, before the #MeToo movement, the idea that the future is yours to make as a woman is an illusion.

The women’s lives col
Liza Perrat
Jul 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I have loved all of Jane Davis’s novels, and At the Stroke of Nine O’clock is no exception to her literary genius. We follow three entirely different 1950s women whose lives come together in conjunction with the sentence to death by hanging of Ruth Ellis, real-life murder case that snatched the headlines of the day.
Working-class girl, Caroline Wilby, must take any opportunity to make money to support her family. Silver screen star, Ursula Delancy, is back in London from the USA, following a roma
Davida Chazan
On the 12th of August 1949, Big Ben was prevented from chiming at 9pm by four and a half minutes because a flock of starlings perched on the minute hand. This event initially panicked the British public, who didn’t know that it was only birds that stopped the clock. In Davis’ new novel, this is not only a starting point for her story, but also a metaphor for the lives of three fictional women living in post-WWII era London, whose lives are about to intersect. My #bookreview of this newly release ...more
Lynn
Jul 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Yet another good read from Jane Davis, well researched, it is interesting to see how the three women's lives interact with each other. ...more
Cleopatra  Pullen
I've enjoyed all of Jane Davis's books, each of which is different but all of them are absolutely brilliant. These are stories to get lost in.

In At the Stroke of Nine o'clock we are transported to the 1950s where we meet three women. We watch from the side-lines to witness the sexism that these women faced, and we watch in horror as their lives converge to the hanging of Ruth Ellis, the last woman hanged in the UK.

An absorbing read that should not be missed.
Lorraine Wilke
Jul 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I admit, I’m a Jane Davis fan. Having read several of her previous novels, I can’t help but be… she’s that good a writer.

One of the things I find most appealing about her body of work is the sheer scope of stories she decides to tell, from the sharp contemporary drama of SMASH ALL THE WINDOWS, to her expertly crafted historical novel, I STOPPED TIME, with a wide range of other eclectic, engaging stories in the mix. As one who reads prodigiously, I am always delighted to find an author whose tal
Denny
Jul 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Best Jane Davis to date

“You don’t read a Jane Davis book - you inhabit it”
Long after finishing this book, I’m still immersed .... thinking about the women and their journeys to the final point in the story when Ruth Ellis is hanged, the social mores of the fifties, the unfairness of it all. Fifty years on from now, how will our social “imperfections” be judged.

I can recommend this novel on so many levels. As a story I feel I came to know and feel for the three women; as a commentary on the times
Dawn Gill
Jul 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Real and convincing characters, with an exceptionally convincing sense of place and time – this novel brings friendship, social history and class divide into sharp focus.
I loved the attention to the small details (classic Jane Davis); such as when Caroline puts on a dress belonging to a previous hostess, it smells of her perfume. Gave me a real sense of time and place.

Riveting, with a slow burn, and (this is excellent) a low level of dread / anticipation as I waited for something terrible to ha
Peter Snell
Three very different women in London in the 1950s

I had to give this book five stars because it is even better than Jane's previous novel, and I gave that one five stars too.

As ever Jane captures the mood and physicality of the period she is writing about with remarkable clarity. It is the time of Ruth Ellis and the last ever hanging of a woman in this country. Three very different women have to struggle against the expectations, constraints and judgements of society.

This is a great description o
Jean Gill
Jul 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
How dare we judge them!

Three women defy others’ expectations of them and have to pay the price society demands. We walk in their shoes and know the pain beneath the posing. I love the way actress Ursula flaunts her bad reputation, turning it to her advantage when she needs to distract the press from what she really cares about – her children. The passages featuring the two children moved me to tears – I believed every word and needed the reminder that good things happen. Not always despite the t
Amanda
Jul 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Great choice for Bookclubs

Really interesting entwined storyline, so refreshing to read a book that’s completely different. This book plunges you straight into post war London and immerses you into the lives of three altogether different women. Very well researched and written, hard to put down but very thought provoking (hence would be great for bookclubs to debate). I have a feeling that Caroline, Ursula & Patrice will be in my mind for quite a while.
Maggie
Jul 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Another brilliant book by Jane Davis.
Helen Hollick
Nov 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
There are, oddly, three protagonists in this book, three disparate women with different background and lifestyles. Each is facing a crisis in her life. All three are distinct characters with their own voices.

Caroline is a naïve seventeen-year-old, fresh off the bus from Sussex and alone in London. With the death of her father, her mother is counting on her to make a living and send money home. She manages to get a job as a hostess in a gentlemen’s club, which entails persuading the members to bu
Sarah Tinsley
Mar 30, 2021 rated it it was amazing
I interviewed the author for my blog, you can read it here: https://sarahtinsley.com/2020/11/14/h...

Her novel revolves around a gentleman's club in high society London where the lives of three very different women become intertwined. It's pacy, thought-provoking and moving. I particularly enjoyed the way her female characters were strong and defiant in the face of societal expectations.
Annalisa Crawford
Feb 16, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own
This is a story of four very different women whose stories, over the course of several years, weave together. With their back stories intricately sketched out, each of them draws sympathy from the reader. The author does an excellent job of drip-feeding information, at fading from one narrative to the next, at keeping the tension high.
Jane Davis
Aug 25, 2020 is currently reading it  ·  (Review from the author)
Imagine you stand accused. There is a way to defend yourself, but doing so would betray everyone you have ever cared about. The choice is yours. Do you sabotage yourself of others? The paperback is released 28 August 2020. Nine O'Clock sharp.

Barb
Sep 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A great book. Jane Davis is a wonderful writer, and I happily recommend this tale.
Bronwyn Kotze
Jul 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Women helping other women straighten their crowns set in the post-war era in London.

Love, friendship, betrayal, and hope.
We meet 3 women from very different backgrounds who come together and form an unlikely friendship.
Like all of Jane Davis' novels, this one was well researched and beautifully written. I felt like I was there in London in the 50s, watching the story unfold. This was definitely one of my favourites so far and highly recommended.
Robin
rated it it was ok
Nov 22, 2020
Margarita Morris
Jul 19, 2020
Goodreads Librari...: Book added to the wrong Jane Davis 2 8 Jul 13, 2020 05:24AM

• The Sea Gate
  • They Call Me Crazy (Cass Adams #1)
  • GO: A Memoir about Binge-drinking, Self-hatred, and Finding Happiness
  • All the Devils are Here (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache, #16)
  • The English Wife
  • Shine, Pamela! Shine!
  • Double Identity
  • Oh My Gods
  • No Hurry to Get Home: The Memoir of the New Yorker Writer Whose Unconventional Life and Adventures Spanned the Century
  • Saving Lucia
  • The Backstreets of Purgatory
  • The String Games
  • The Heart Beats in Secret
  • The Diary of Isabella M Smugge
Jane Davis is the author of nine thought-provoking novels. Her debut, Half-truths and White Lies, won the Daily Mail First Novel Award and was described by Joanne Harris as ‘A story of secrets, lies, grief and, ultimately, redemption, charmingly handled by this very promising new writer.’ The Bookseller called her 'One to Watch.' In 2016, Writing Magazine named An Unknown Woman their Self-Publishe ...more