Start by marking “The Cry of the Lake” as Want to Read:
The Cry of the Lake

The Cry of the Lake

A gruesome discovery unravels a dark trail of murder and madness.

A six-year-old girl sneaks out of bed to capture a mermaid but instead discovers a dead body. Terrified and unable to make sense of what she sees, she locks the vision deep inside her mind.

Ten years later, Lily is introduced to the charismatic Flo and they become best friends. But Lily is guilt-ridden – she
Kindle Edition, First Edition, 263 pages
Published July 21st 2020 by Darkstroke Books (first published June 9th 2020)

To ask other readers questions about The Cry of the Lake, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Cry of the Lake

Start your review of The Cry of the Lake
Pat (not getting friend updates currently)
This is a hard book to review. It is about revenge and murder and obsession and secrets. When the story opens Lily and her older sister, Grace, are getting rid of the body of a dead teenager. Straight away you realise there’s a very weird dynamic between the sisters, something is very off here. It doesn’t help that Lily has been mute for years, since she had a traumatic experience at the of six. Grace is supposedly engaged to Tom Marchant and his daughter, Florence (Flo) is Lily’s best friend. B ...more
Joy Perry
Dec 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
#NetGalley #CryOfTheLake

Well, let me start out by saying that this book started off with a murdered girl (Amelie) at the dining table of mother and daughter, Grace and Lily. I was immediately questioning why she was murdered, so to say the book started off with a bang is a fitting analogy! As the reader, I was introduced to Tom and his daughter Flo, who happens to be best friends with Lily. Also, for some reason it was noted that Flo looked similar to Amelie. Tom was a science teacher and got en
Anna Szabó
Jul 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
I don’t quote from books, especially not from ARCs but this time I’m going to start with the very first sentence. “Death smells of macaroons.” I so very love macaroons but after reading this sentence I’m not sure I’m gonna look at macaroons the same was I used to.

The Cry of The Lake is one of the most disturbing stories I’ve read this year so far. It’s one of those books you just can’t put down because you need to know what happens next.

And the characters? So well-developed. The main character
Dana-Adriana B.
Aug 23, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
This is a drama mystery story told by Flo, Lily and Grace. At one point I lost the main idea and it was hard for me to follow the tale. I want to give it a try one day.
Thank you Netgalley and the publisher for this chance.
Harri
Jun 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book was absolutely AMAZING!!! Written in alternating voices each chapter, one was really able to get into the minds of the well-crafted characters: a psychopathic murderer and her mute younger sister.

The book is about two sisters with a traumatic past - one out to get revenge, the other considering coming clean. After creating new identities, will their past come out... or will they get away with murder?

This book was the definition of a page-turner and at one point I was literally unable
The Book Club
Sep 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
Cassie wanted only to find her mermaid, but instead she sees a dead man’s body. Shocked by this event, she locks all her memories in the back of her mind. 10 years later she has to face and unravel what really happened that night.

Such a gripping story. It started at a slow pace, but after the first half of the book I just couldn’t stop reading, and I was constantly on edge and curious to know what was going to happen.

Great the description of the characters state of mind, and the way all the ev
Val Penny
Oct 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I recently read the new novel by Charlie Tyler, The Cry of the Lake. This is a debut novel and I had heard great things about it, so I was excited to read it. The novel is set in and around Oxford and the description of some parts of the area are a delight.

The novel is told through the thoughts and views of three young women I did find it slightly confusing to distinguish one from another as I started the book, but that soon resolved itself.

The Blurb

A gruesome discovery unravels a dark trail of
Jennifer Richards
Aug 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
This was an amazing book that I began reading thinking was about a crime and soon realized was about sisters, family, and the trauma that forms who we are and the decisions that we make. The story was truly horrifying in how a persons trauma can completely corrupt their morals and actions but also beautiful in the hope that one can find despite being exposed to so much evil. The two sisters in this story create a yin and yang of good and evil. The crime at the center of this novel is perfectly i ...more
Jo Fenton
Jul 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This brilliantly plotted, fast-paced novel is full of twists and turns that kept me guessing (usually incorrectly) throughout the whole book. The author develops the characters carefully, and they are skillfully revealed as the story progresses.
I thoroughly enjoyed reading this fascinating tale of abuse, revenge and obsession, and would highly recommend this for lovers of psychological thrillers.
Irene
Jul 24, 2020 rated it liked it
The Cry of the Lake by Charlie Tyler After a confusing start, felt overwhelmed with all the characters, POVs, time periods and information. Unfortunately lost interest in the book. Perhaps readers with multitasking minds will prevail and enjoy the book.

Thank you to the publisher, author, and NetGalley for the opportunity to preview the book.
Natalie Hunt
Jun 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
An excellent read! I couldn’t put it down... gripped from the start. Always a good sign when you feel a bit sad when it’s over! Can’t wait to read more by Charlie Tyler.
 Reading Reindeer 2021 On Proxima Centauri
What an exceptional debut novel! I read it in one session, totally entranced, overlooking sleeping and eating. SO very twisted, this is real psychological horror at its finest (think Henry James). One never knows what is truth, what is reality, what is deceptive illusion, or what is one's own mind clouding the issues. There are so many mysteries and revelations; I could delightfully reread right away! Hold your breath and turn off the phone, lock the doors and sink into a morass of the psyche. ...more
Antigone Walsh
Aug 16, 2020 rated it liked it
A mentally disturbed woman orchestrates a vicious plan of revenge on the man she holds responsible for the destruction of her childhood. Her traumatized sister refuses to talk but is befriended by the man's outgoing daughter. Somewhere under the lies and deceit, the truth is trying to get out.

this book was fast-paced and suspenseful. The story is interesting although certain portions don't hold up to scrutiny. It is narrated from different points of view. This technique gets unwieldy when you fa
Erika Sarutobi
Nov 19, 2020 rated it it was ok
I'm finally done, this triggered my escapism and put me on a reading slump :/

RTC
Rose McClelland
Aug 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book opens with a fabulously striking scene. The drama continues throughout making this a twisty thriller.

Not only is it twisty and exciting, but it is emotional too. It shows how a traumatic past can pave the way for dangerous behaviours in later years. With family secrets and the murder of a teenage girl, this is an unputdownable thriller that will keep you on your toes!
Jennifer Worrell
May 28, 2021 rated it it was amazing
I read Cry of the Lake in one weekend, because I had to see where all the twists and turns were leading. I thought I made a pretty good guess early on, but the story had lots of surprises for me. Unnerving and exciting, told from three points of view, I had to exercise some strong discipline not to peek ahead to see how those chapter cliffhangers resolved. Tyler's characters are so vivid, reading this book was much like watching a film. The praise is well deserved! ...more
Michelle Cook
Aug 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I don’t think it’s giving much away to say the author drops a dead body plum on the first page. From right there and then, we’re drawn into a dark jigsaw puzzle of family secrets, trauma and deadly deeds.

What I love about this book is that the reader is shown the story from three perspectives. Three very different and vivid voices - Lily, Grace and Flo - tell their own stories, and we must gather the pieces together to make the whole. And what a whole: twisted, atmospheric, and sparkling with t
Anusha
Jul 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
Ngl, I picked this up from Netgalley just because of the cover. I mean the mysterious crescent moon adorned with roses and skull instantly nudged me to read the book.

Coming to the plot, the story is about Grace and Lily, a mother-daughter duo who have freshly started a new life leaving behind their heavy past (atleast that's what they claim). Grace has a revenge planned out for Tom- her current lover, a divorcee and Flo's father. Lily and Flo are about same age, although entirely different in pe
Honestmamreader
Jul 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
A mysterious tale told from the perspective of three girls. Lily, Grace and Flo.

The story opens up with a murder. Just the way I like my mystery thriller books to begin, right in on the action. Then we delve into the lives of Lily, Grace and Flo and this is were things get interesting. As each chapter unfolds another part of the mystery is uncovered.

Who are Lily and Grace? This is the question I kept asking myself a lot. They had a background story that was steeped in death and despair. But, L
Louise
Jul 04, 2020 rated it liked it
R A I N
Jul 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I was sitting at my dining table with the book in my hand and my eyes glued to the first page. The door that opens in the hallway was ajar -revealing dark steps and as I continued to read - I felt this rush of warm terror inexplicable but unmissable.

A GIRL IS FUCKING DEAD?!

And that’s how The Cry of The Lake begins. With a shock. And a promise of many more yet to shake you in the process.

The image of a dead girl danced around my eyes as if I was present right there in the room with her lying next
Emily Jane
Aug 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
This book was not at all what I expected, even reading the synopsis could not have prepared me for what I was about to embark upon... The opening of this book grabbed my attention from the start.

The writing is excellent, Charlie Tyler weaves this perfect web of lies and deception that have us questioning every single person and every turn of the page. I didn't know who to trust or what was going on.

Each chapter was from a different perspective and character POV, which I do feel helped to really
Sarah Davis
Aug 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The Cry of the Lake is an enthralling story of how easily someone can fall into darkness after a difficult and terrible upbringing. It is a story of the power of fear. It is the story of overcoming your torment and facing certain horrors. It is a dark thriller with vivid characters, full of heart and warmth or evil and manipulation. I knew I was in for one dangerous rollercoaster ride from Charlie’s opening sentence, “Death smells of macaroons.” I was shocked and troubled and saddened in varied ...more
Nicole Sweeney
Jul 31, 2020 rated it really liked it
Review originally posted on The Bibliophile Chronicles.

The Cry of the Lake follows the story of Lily and her best friend Flo. When a girl from their school is murdered, Flo’s father is accused of killing her. Lily is hiding a number of secrets about her past and wracked with guilt over the murder, Lily knows she has to make things right, but can she face the truth before the real killer strikes again?

The Cry of the Lake is one of those books that sucks you in from the very first page and doesn’t
Penny Hampson
Aug 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The Cry of the Lake is the debut novel of Charlie Tyler. It is an excellent, psychological thriller full of unexpected plot twists. Told from the perspective of three different characters, Lily, Flo, and Grace, this pacy, suspense-filled story takes you on a journey through dark family secrets to the event at the core of the mystery.

The story opens with teenage Lily, at a particularly gruesome moment. She cannot speak and communicates by using text on her phone, Her mother, Grace, is forcing he
Gemma The BookCosy
Jul 21, 2020 rated it liked it
The book starts with a bang! A murder has been committed and you are very aware of who has committed the crime, a mother and her daughter. I was hooked straight away. As you read on it becomes apparent that Lily is mute; a traumatic event from her past has caused her to lose her voice. This part of the story line in itself was so intriguing and I couldn't wait to find out more.

Grace is a very powerful character who dominates and manipulates not only her daughter Lily but others around her. She
Lisa
Jul 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020
A dark, twisted tale, brimming with suspense.

What an opening - We are thrown right into the action with a murder! Right from the first line 'Death smells like macaroons' I was hooked.

The story unfolds from three different perspectives Lily, Grace & Flo and as we learn more about these characters we learn nothing is what it seems, there are lots of deeper, darker secrets uncovered slowly as you read each chapter and I found it really difficult to put down - I had to find out exactly what was goin
Ixxati
Jul 20, 2020 rated it it was ok
This book is told from Grace, Lily and Flo point of views. It was a pretty dark story but the plot was all over the place. I think for a short story with too much things going on, this story doesn't need multiple pov. It's distracting and I can't focus lol

Thank you Netgalley for The Cry of the Lake ARC!
Mary Yarde
Oct 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing

“Once again, she was Emily and I was Cassie and, in that moment, I could hear my heart thudding. I didn’t want to go back there…”

Lilly had been a difficult child. A troubled child. A disruptive child. Now she survived on a concoction of medication to keep the dark thoughts away. But what no one knew was that Lilly was living in her own personal nightmare. It is a nightmare so unimaginable that it had robbed her of her voice.

The dream was always the same. It was always a mermaid — a beautiful fac
Moni
Jul 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
This was honestly one of the best debut novels I’ve read in a long time. I usually don’t like multiple views, but this one was done so well! It was definitely a page turner.
The characters were well-developed given the length of the book and I love how it made me feel in the end.
I would most definitely recommend.
Thanks NetGalley for introducing me to this author!
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• They All Fall Down (Scott Carluccio Randall, #1)
  • Wisdom Spring
  • The Sisters of Kestrel Cay (Hideaway Isle, #1)
  • Cuckoo Uncaged (Cuckoo Series, #1)
  • Her Worst Mistake (Rosemary Run, #6)
  • Lost Girls
  • Way Down There (Allie Down Mystery, #1)
  • A Life Removed
  • The One
  • The Bellhop Only Stalks Once
  • Facade
  • Roam
  • The Garage Guerrilla
  • The Bookish Life of Nina Hill
  • Desecration (London Crime, #1)
  • Taking on Water
  • Secrets We Keep (The Bright Lights, Dark Secrets Collection, #1)
  • Inside Voices
Charlie signed with Darkstroke Books in May 2020. The Cry of the Lake is her debut novel.

Charlie adores coffee and usually drinks (at least) four cups before 11am. This caffeine fuelled part of the day is also, unsurprisingly, the time when she gets the most words onto the page.

She lives in a Leicestershire village with husband, Will, and three (almost) grown-up children. Tilly, her golden retrie