Start by marking “Dawn of the Overlords (The Val-Harra Saga, #1)” as Want to Read:
Dawn of the Overlords (The Val-Harra Saga, #1)

Dawn of the Overlords

(Metal and Stone #1)

Dragons are real.
A draconic apocalypse is poised to strike at Humanity.
Just one wyrm stands in the way.

As a young dragon living by the ideals of virtue and honor, Dauria wanted nothing more than to live in peace and harmony with Humanity. When that failed, she helped establish a pact that forced Dragonkind into the shadows.

When she awakens after millennia of slumber, she f
Published April 18th 2020 by Demons and Dragons Press (first published March 31st 2018)

To ask other readers questions about Dawn of the Overlords, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dawn of the Overlords

Start your review of Dawn of the Overlords (The Val-Harra Saga, #1)
Terence
Jun 20, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: freebies
Dragon slayers are hunting all the dragons they can find. The Dragon council deliberates on what to do. While the dragons could likely destroy the humans they fear destroying the Earth in the process. The dragons eventually decide to enter a long hibernation like sleep for an undecided length of time. When Dauria is awakened it clearly seems someone is conspiring against her and perhaps all the other dragons as well.

The Awakening wasn't what I was expecting when I picked up this book. I had the
M.L. Spencer
Aug 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This was a great story told from the dragons' perspectives. Very well written and extremely original. I really enjoyed the dragon political maneuvering --I felt like it was Game of Thrones but with dragons! Really enjoyed it! The dragon society is very well-drawn and I really like how it spans millennia, dragons' relations with humans all the way up to present-day.
Alyssia Cooke
Jun 01, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: indie
I suspect this has had a few edits along with the new title, as along with now being called ‘Dawn of the Overlords’ this has gained fofty pages from the Goodreads entry and I think has addressed many of the issues referred to in previous reviews.

Dawn of the Overlords is a tale removed from the typical human centric fantasy lore. Instead it is populated by dragons; beings who are all but immortal and watch the human squabbles from afar as dynasties rose and fall in their lifetimes. Something has
Myla Aguilar
Engaging tale of Dragons

This is a good story with strong characters and action. I would have given this a higher rating since it started off so well but during the middle it skipped and went to further in the future so I was confused.
Lag
May 18, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dragons ... nothing else.

If you love dragons and aren't too picky this low priced book is a definite read. I found it a bit too contrived , so I won't be continuing.

Newer readers will find much to enjoy in this book. The author's mind has created an imaginitive world the later novels should prove entertaining to dragon lovers.
Aleksandra
2.5
I have nothing to say. I didn't like it. everything happened so quickly..nothing to like
Steph Warren
Apr 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kevin Potter’s books differ from standard dragon-fantasy books, in that the dragons are the main characters, and the focus is on them, their goals, their interactions, rather than their effect on us humans.

Yes, humans are mentioned, but in the same way that we might bemoan other the extinction of other animal species, or the destruction of their habitats: to be deplored and avoided if possible, but not to outweigh the ultimate survival and wellbeing of our own species. Thus Potter’s dragons foll
Judy
Oct 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun Book About Dragons

I like books about dragons that make them as good helpful creatures. The bad ones are a part of the world as well to make a story interesting. This story did this well.
The good dragons would find a way to help make the world a better place and wanted to partner with the lowly humans they let live with the uprising against humanity which was caused by the evil dragons.
The stage has been set to go the next step to begin to work out the negative war’s effects of the distr
Dinees Ponton
Mar 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Those that like books about dragons
This book was enjoyable. I really liked that the dragons were the main characters and were not treated as if they were humans. The story is filled with a few well developed characters and a few thrown in as fillers. Dauria is smart but not able to outsmart the watchers. I love the cover and had to read the book. I read it all in one day. I had to know what would happen next. The names are a little hard but seem right since they are dragon names and Kevin does shorten them to nicknames for us. Gr ...more
Lana
Apr 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is surely a book for all dragon lovers as the dragons in Potter's books are the main characters and they are the ones giving us their story and point of view. I particularly loved this book as the two main characters where the two female dragons Dauria and Graayyya and both were against war on the human race as they knew that if they brought down the human world they would also end their own world! But would the dragon council listen to them? My only problem with Potter's books is the very ...more
Joselyn  Moreno Burke
This one I don't remember how it came to my hands, but what a trip this was.

I decided on this one for my monthly challenge and quite the ride I found on this little book, The world of this dragons was amazing, and I liked all the schemes and plans, they were some regretful things on the story but I wouldn't actually change anything on it.

I hope to return to this world soon enough and The characters were so interesting, specially Dauria she was very easy to relate to, I want to discover more ab
Gayreth Walden
Apr 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love Dragons? You will love this story!

Dragon lovers are in for a treat. The author gives us insight in the different types of dragons and personalities. I love it! War with humans. War with dragons. How can it end, will it end? Fast paced, action, intrigue, mystery, it's all here in the beginning of a story by a master storyteller! This is a must read for all dragon lovers. I can't wait for the next book!
John Barnes
Apr 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Different Take

Not your usual Dragon story and time seems to fly past rather quickly and merely focus on what the author perceives as the most important moments in the story. Large, difficult to remember names don't help in the flow of the writing and several characters start out as sounding important only to quickly disappear from the tale. It will be interesting to see what book 2 holds
Joel Norden
Oct 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
I went into this not knowing what to expect, and found a nice breath of fresh air as it was much different than anything I've read recently.
Kevin's writing is great, the story was unique and followed dragons in a real world setting. My only complaint is that the story structure was odd at times, and I think that could be a turn of for some people.
Personally, I found Dawn of the Overlords really enjoyable!
Christinaraven
Apr 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this story. It started out with a simple plot that developed into a great story that kept me guessing and entertained to the end. Fun to read of all the problems Dauria runs into as she becomes a savior of the world. Plus you can't go wrong with dragons as the main characters. Just a fun book to read.
Jennifer Norton
Jul 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love dragons, and I liked this story a lot. The author writes well, and he has some really good ideas. I liked that the dragon characters can shape shift into humans, but that it didn't dominate the story. the lack of human characters was unique. at first the long dragon names were a little confusing, but I enjoyed the story.
Tanya
Sep 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dragons are real but they are sleeping and when she awakes it is to find someone what to use them to create war. She knows words will not help this time. She needs help but finds she is separated from her Dragon side. What will happen if she cannot get back together? See if war will break out

Vintagebooklvr
Oct 20, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Dragons be here....Dragons are the main characters in this story instead of the villains. Humans are barely side character.

An interesting story though the flow of time was a little off. Some parts were rushed that could have been described better, particularly what was keeping Dauria human and what the other dragon found to release her.
Liliyana Shadowlyn
Oct 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Dawn of the Overlords is brilliant. I absolutely love that the dragons aren't these perfect creatures, above the emotions and desires that humans have. Dauria is strong, wise, and determined to prevent the war brewing, and you won't be able to stop turning pages. The past and present intertwine and weave a brilliant story in this must read!
Janet
Jun 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Different very different. Not bad though. I love dragons and I really like it when authors portray them as guardians of humanity. I received a complimentary review copy of the book and I am voluntarily leaving a honest review.
Michelle
Jul 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 5-star-read, arc, 2018
The Awakening is a well written book where dragons are the main characters. The cover caught my attention and the story had me hooked. I loved getting to know the dragons and their personalities. This is the first book in the Metal and Stone series and I can't wait to read what happens next.
Minga Dotson
Interesting premise, dragons awakening and warring over the earth.

Story is ok, but a bit disjointed, almost like someone cut parts out randomly to shorten it to a particular length. Fill in those holes and it should be quite a story.
Frank Geimer
Oct 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An interesting twist on Dragon and human relations.

I liked the story line and world building in this preview. The dragons awakened to a modern world and almost wiped out humankind. I look forward to reading more of this series to see what happens next.
An Odd1
Apr 19, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
The dragons are worth caring about. Snippets of the series, getting invested in heroes and villains, gets confusing.
LJ Waguespack
May 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good strong start on promising series.
Jackie
May 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a fantastic fantasy story of dragons reawakening. Will humans believe they’re back? Couldn’t put it down.
Pat Raab
Jun 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very imaginative. An excellent read.
David Murray
Lost interest at 70%
Dionne
Jul 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book a lot.

• Warrior Mage (Chains of Honor, #1)
  • Dragonlands: Volume 1-3 (Dragonlands, #1-3)
  • Rippler (Ripple, #1)
  • Archibald Lox and the Bridge Between Worlds (Archibald Lox, #1)
  • Oasis (The Last Humans, #1)
  • When They Came (When They Came #1)
  • The Aliomenti Saga Box Set (Books 1-3)
  • Just Try Not To Die  (Brian Helsing: The World's Unlikeliest Vampire Hunter. Mission #1)
  • Ecosystem (Ecosystem, #1)
  • The Change (Unbounded, #1)
  • Evolution Series Books 1-2
  • A Healer's Gift (Adventures on Brad #1)
  • Blades of Magic (Crown Service, #1)
  • The Defender of Rebel Falls (The William Whitehall Adventures, #1)
  • Ignite (Skyborn, #1)
  • Moonburner (Moonburner Cycle, #1)
  • The Ravagers Box Set: Episodes 1-3
  • Sword Bearer (Return of the Dragons, #1)
Hello, reader! (sorry to defy conventions, but I can't stand writing about myself in the third person. It's just weird.)

I spend a good portion of my time masquerading as dragons larger than some cities, but when I'm not doing that I like to spend my time picking people's brains.

No, no, I don't mean learning from their experiences, I like the taste of brain matter!

Okay, okay, I'll try to be seri

Metal and Stone (4 books)
  • Fire and Ice
  • Power of the Overlords (The Val-Harra Saga, #2)
  • Age of the Overlords (The Val-Harra Sage, #3)

News & Interviews