Start by marking “Allegation: the page-turning, unputdownable thriller from an exciting new voice in crime fiction” as Want to Read:

An evil monster exposed?

Or an innocent father condemned?

A scandal will shake a small community to its very foundations.

Sandbeach, South Wales.

Two women have come forward to make historical sexual allegations against a pillar of the local community, Matthew Cooper.

Kindle Edition
Published June 11th 2020 (first published 2020)

To ask other readers questions about Allegation, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Allegation

Start your review of Allegation: the page-turning, unputdownable thriller from an exciting new voice in crime fiction
Whispering Stories
Feb 17, 2021 rated it really liked it
Book Reviewed on www.whisperingstories.com

Newly qualified social worker Kit is thrown in at the deep end when she is given the case of an alleged historic child sexual assault by a well-liked local businessman who has powerful friends, and a father with high-up connections.

Kit feels out of her depth and nauseous at dealing with the family, but she knows it doesn’t matter how powerful he is, or how much money he has, she is there to do her job and that is to see to the safety of his children and
Louise Wilson
Apr 30, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A local businessman, Matt Cooper has been accused of the historical a use of two girls. Local, social worker, Kit begins her investigation of the family. She has to ascertain the risk Coopers three children. Annie Cooper (Matt's wife) is hostile to to Kit and she defends her husband, adamant that the allegations are false. Will Kit's inexperience cloud her judgement or end up,being influenced by people wanting to protect one of their own.

Kit knew the system inside out as she had grown up in Fost
Lou
Jun 15, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Allegation is the first in a new crime procedural series featuring formidable young Welsh social worker, Kit Goddard, and is the author's debut novel. When historical sexual abuse allegations regarding two young girls are made against affluent, influential and well-connected local businessman Matt Cooper, it is up to rookie social worker Kit Goddard to investigate and reveal if there's any truth to them. Regardless of their social standing Kit must ascertain whether the three Cooper children are ...more
Liz Barnsley
Mar 10, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought Allegation was a very good read indeed- with a central premise ripped straight from the headlines this one focuses on social worker Kit, who is thrown into the middle of a controversial case, where truth faces down power in a battle for the facts.

Kit is engaging and realistically flawed, her determination to treat this case as she would any other despite the people involved makes you root for her every step of the way. The author manages to get the realities and lack of resources in un
Claire
Feb 18, 2021 rated it it was amazing
This is the start of a new series featuring social worker Kit Goddard, and I honestly can't wait to read more.

I found this really interesting, following a social worker as the main protagonist. Not something I've read before. Reading from the point of view from a case worker, seeing how everything fits together and the work put in to each and every case. Very insightful. It was clear to see the author had had years of experience working in this sector.

Kit was a brilliant character, with a troubl
Lainy
Feb 11, 2021 rated it really liked it
Time taken to read - < 1 day

Pages - 320

Publisher - Riverrun

Source - Review copy

Blurb from Goodreads

An evil monster exposed?

Or an innocent father condemned?

A scandal will shake a small community to its very foundations.

Sandbeach, South Wales.

The case lands on the desk of inexperienced Social Worker, Kit Goddard, who must remove Cooper from his home and family while the invest
Tasha
Feb 05, 2021 rated it really liked it
Review coming soon!
Johnna Whetstone
Wow, this is one of those books that’s so fitting with what’s going on in our world today! I thought it was well written, relevant, and very chilling! I think that the character development was excellent and the subject while not new very important! I found lots of thrills, chills, shocks, and turmoil while reading this book! If you enjoy books that really coincide with today’s headlines, this is definitely your book!
Will make sure I buzz it up on the different platforms and use low Amazon revi
Emily Jane
I received an advanced copy from Netgalley in return for an honest review on my blog and Netgalley.

My opinion on this book is a bit split, as I felt the storyline itself was meh I felt the book struggled to really get going.

There were too many aspects of the story and whilst they eventually all came together, the ending did feel rushed and shoved together. As if the author had realised they'd built up all these strands of the book and had to figure out a way to tie them up. It just really frustr
Sara
Mar 04, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, contemporary
Received this ARC from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review:

Rating: 4/5

It was a heavier read concerning sexual crimes on minors and the difficulties involved in clawing through the lies and the reluctant nature of people to believe. It was enlightening to see the detailed procedure involved in cases like these, so kudos to the author for doing her research.

The protagonist is a young social worker, Kit, who had been given a high profile case she’s not sure she’s ready for, for she has
Miss R
Mar 22, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thanks to Quercus Book and NetGalley for an ARC in exchange for an honest review.

The storyline of 'Allegation' has all too sadly been the stuff of tabloid fodder for a number of years. The term 'historical sexual abuse' has entered the standard vocabulary of the English lexicon, and it is here to stay. There are the famous cases, of course, that are too numerous to name, guilty one and all. The prevalence of abuse is while shocking, even more stomach-churning for the conspiracy of silence that h
Michelle B
May 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Allegation is a gripping thriller about a social worker’s investigation into an historical allegation of child sexual abuse. The allegations are made by two women against Matthew Cooper who is a middle class, upstanding member of the community and a married father of three children. The investigating social worker is a relatively inexperienced one, Kit Goddard.
Kit is led by her manager, Vernon Griffiths, who has allocated her the case even though she does not have any experience in this area, as
Victoria
Jan 27, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Allegation addresses a heavy subject which I wouldn't normally opt to read but the author does so in a highly sensitive manner. It felt very well researched however a little Google search told me the author has thirty years experience across all areas of social services, which makes sense.

A thought provoking story following the strong minded protagonist, Kit, who is willing to go out on a limb and put her job as a social worker on the line to ensure children are protected and justice is served.
Dleech
Mar 13, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When histrionic sexual abuse claims are made against local wealthy and influentially connected Matt Cooper newly qualified social worker, Kit Goddard, is allocated the case to ascertain the level of risk to the Cooper’s 3 children. Annie Cooper, the wife, is incredibly hostile towards Kit and is adamant the allegations are false and that Matt will not be charged.

As the story enfolds Kit’s own family background is revealed and she has to face issues from her own unhappy home life and experiences
Stef L
Feb 18, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This urgent and sensitively written debut had me gripped from its opening page right up until the final word.

Hard-hitting and at times rather unsettling, it delves deeply into the shocking and horrific themes of child abuse and the aftermath that reverberates for years to come.

Kit Goddard is a brilliantly crafted narrator who has her own past that haunts her. It is this that brings her vividly to life. She is a force to be reckoned with and will stop at nothing to find out the truth.

Drawn tog
Anna Maria
Aug 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely fantastic read from beginning to end. It is about an allegation of historical sexual abuse. The suspect is very well to do. Has a wife, children and well off parents. It is Kit the Social worker's job to safeguard the children. She is met with disbelief from family, and they let her know that she is not welcome. It also touches on her own background and family. It must be extremely hard for Police, Social workers to tread carefully, and sensitively in such a situation. The abuser can ...more
Dawn
Mar 16, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When a local business man is accused of a historical abuse of two girls, the local social worker, Kit, starts to investigate the family. Kit is a relatively new social worker but no stranger to the system having been a foster child in her youth.

Kit investigates the family and could the children be at Risk? I really enjoyed this read and the backstory about Kit added strength to why she acts the way she does. A solid story. Thank you to netgalley and the publishers for this arc in exchange for m
Debbie Marshall
Jan 14, 2021 rated it it was amazing
I had to give this book five stars as it had me hooked from the start. The characters were believable and I could imagine the environment where it was set. There was an excellent plot it was quite dark and gritty. I could relate to the characters as you could feel their stresses as they endeavoured to uncover what had been happening in their town. The author has managed to sensitively capture the emotions of the victims and how the criminals can manipulate and charm their way out of accusation. ...more
Asha KRISHNA
Feb 18, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: firstreads
A well told compelling debut by a talented writer. I usually avoid thrillers with senstive issues but Adams handles it so well that I found myself racing through the story to get to the end.

Loved Kit Goddard and also insight into the world of social services - which often bears the brunt but gets little credit for what it does. The fact that the investigator is a social worker makes for a very interesting angle for a police procedural series. Will be definitely looking out for Kit Goddard's nex
Ross Hendry
Jul 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. I was drawn into the drama quite quickly and found myself really wanting to know if the allegation of sexual abuse against Matt Cooper was true. Suffice to say all was revealed eventually...

The characters are very well drawn and believable while the whole social work millieu is illuminated in a way that is fascinating for people like me with no prior knowledge. I can see this being made into a great TV production or series.
Emma Scott
Aug 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I thoroughly enjoyed this book, it’s a real page turner.
It gives a realistic account of social work procedures, it’s makes you realise how emotionally draining and hard the job is.
The character of kit is very believable and you warm to her & her past straight away.
This isn’t a book I would normally read as the subject matter isn’t for the faint hearted like me but I’d encourage anyone to give it a go .. you won’t be disappointed.
Asha KRISHNA
Feb 17, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A compelling debut by a writer who handles a sensitive issue brilliantly.
Really enjoyed the character of Kit Goddard as she works her way through this high profile case. Adams offers a keen insight into the world of social services as Goddard an inexperienced but intuitive social worker works her way through a minefielf of class and connection.
Niamh
Mar 03, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Disclaimer: I have been sent a copy of this book for review purposes. This has not influenced or affected my opinions in any way in this review.

I have honestly never before read anything like this. It is a novel full of suspense and it leaves you constantly questioning yourself. I really felt a connection to the protagonist, Kit. She comes across as instantly likeable and someone who you would ultimately get along with. Throughout this book I was hooked, and I was addicted to finding out what ha
Sue Hayward
Aug 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Unputdownable

I thoroughly enjoyed this book but I do feel that the Author should have gone into a little bit more detail regarding Kit’s earlier life and why she’s estranged from her Sisters maybe it would have added more depth to the storyline, but on the whole it goes into detail regarding a Social Worker and how they have to deal with a Family’s life.
Billie
Nov 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is a brilliant read.
Wonderful well written plot and story line that had me engaged from the start.
Love the well fleshed out characters and found them believable.
Great suspense and action with wonderful world building.
Can't wait to read what the author brings out next.
Recommend reading.

I read a complimentary advance copy of the book; this is my voluntary and honest review.
Lizzie bee
Dec 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant !!

So sorry I’ve finished this book !
Fantastic read
Not a subject I would normally choose to read about but I’m glad I did learnt a lot about people’s personalities and how deceptive things apppear
It was very tense and i couldn’t wait to read the outcome for all involved
Loved kit and her brother
Mrs T Shaban
Sep 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Compelling reading..,.

At first I was sure on this book, but after a few chapters I couldn’t put it down. Fantastic writing and humorous in places. Loved the story and the characters- great writing.
Richard Owain Roberts
Allegation is a superbly crafted and multi-layered novel that will keep you reading from the first page
to the last. I look forward to the next books in the series.
Sam
Aug 07, 2020 rated it it was ok
While not altogether dull, I didn't become fully engaged in the story until near the end. ...more
Laura Leonard
Dec 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Level of detail re social services is quite good and well researched. Because of that it really is a good read, all plausible not fake fairytale style. Gripping.

• The Perfect Father
  • The Pupil
  • It Will Just Be Us
  • Who Did You Tell?
  • The Binding
  • Needful Things
  • Heartstopper: Volume One (Heartstopper, #1)
  • Children of Virtue and Vengeance (Legacy of Orïsha, #2)
  • You Can't Catch Me