Jump to ratings and reviews

When I Needed You

Kindle Edition

Published July 17, 2020

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Tina Martin

122 books219 followers
TINA MARTIN is a talented, romantic suspense fiction writer and the author of over 90 titles. She enjoys Hallmark movies, running and traveling.

Amazon: amazon.com/author/tinamartin
Instagram: instagram.com/tinamartinauthor
Facebook: facebook.com/tinamartinauthor

Her books are listed below:

An Unlikely Love Series
Zander
Zavier
St. Claire Life Series
Honeymoon With A St. Claire
Just Being Us (Prequel to Zander)
Keep That Same Energy (Zander & Alyssa Update
When A Champion Wants You
The Best Thing He Never Knew He Needed
Wives And Champions
The Way Champions Love
His By Spring (A Champion Sister Novel)
A Champion's Proposal
Snowed in at Shenandoah Valley

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
4 (1%)
1 star
1 (<1%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 82 reviews
Profile Image for Lady Raven RAVE!.
1,828 reviews1,084 followers

Pages: 162
Audio: Good
Kindle Unlimited: No

STORY:
I personally have not read this concept before, not that I can think of. Ahmalee owns her candle shop and leads a simple life. She comes across a homeless man, Cain, who she is reluctant to help but do what she cans. Now ladies, homeless man doesn’t sound appealing? He is appealing in this book, trust me. It’s the story for me and how the author unfolds the budding relationship between Ahmalee and Cain. Ahmalee is that friend in my head, I love her reactions and thoughts towards the situation. Her friends’ reactions, not cool but understand it as well. Cain, is very likable, I just wanted to tear Ahmalee away and plant myself in the book taking her place. Of course, this ends on a cliffhanger, not a fan of that but I most definitely want to see how this story uunfolds, because of the ending. Here comes the lies, deceit and bull-ish.

CHEMISTRY:
Chapter 9, love that chapter. It was full of a lot of things, but that argument between Ahmalee and Cain, smh, y’all if that’s how Cain goes at it, he can argue with me everyday all day.

SECONDARY CHARACTERS
There really weren’t any in this book so far other than Ahmalee’s friends/employees. They were ok but doesn’t spark my interest.

Overall, I love this story, not happy with the cliffhanger, but appreciate book 1 with getting to see the growing relationship between both characters before ish hits the fan.

***I don’t equate these stories to real life. It’s about personal taste and what you would or want to tolerate with the books you read. I know we all have different opinions and preferences with what we read and hope this review was helpful.
Profile Image for Kameel.
741 reviews74 followers
April 6, 2021
This storyline was a very interesting dynamic for me....because it actually made me think how I would handle myself in and around similar situations...the lesson at the end of the story is indeed valuable...but, in 2021 would I allow a perfect stranger to stay in my house or on my property.....NO! However, this story does provide a very valuable lesson about the way we treat one another. I’m invested, I’m on to book 2.
Profile Image for Annette Williams.
797 reviews109 followers
March 29, 2021
3.75 Stars

While I can appreciate the premise of the storyline for When I Needed You, it was a little too unrealistic for me. Ahmahlee is a gullible 29 year old who views the world through rose colored glasses. She allows the homeless man, who has been loitering around her candle shop, to move into a trailer on the property near her home. This is after he claims to have found her home address on mail she threw away in the dumpster. Dude just shows up to Ahmahlee's house asking for help and, wanting to follow in the footsteps of her mama, she gives him one. Cain does odd jobs around the house and anything else that needs to be done to earn his keep. Over time, an attraction sparks between them. Ahmahlee is able to look past Cain's current situation and see him for the good man that he truly is. Just when the attraction starts to heat up, Cain informs Ahmahlee that he's found a job and he's moving back to North Carolina. This is where Tina Martin hits us with a plot twist that had me scratching my head. Seriously?!!! I need to know why Cain! Just why?!!! Now, I have to download When You Needed Me to find out why the hell Cain did what he did. When I Needed You was my first book by Tina Martin and while it was a decent enough read, I wasn't overly impressed with it. But, I'm impressed enough to read book two and the update date book so I can get closure on these characters.
Profile Image for Latasha .
134 reviews
January 28, 2021
So..I need a minute to gather myself. First time reading this author and I enjoyed her writing style. The characters were well developed and the storyline was fresh. I loved Ahmalee and her sprit and Cain the jury’s still out on how I feel about him. If your looking for a jaw dropping suspense with a little romance this book may be for you.
Profile Image for Pamela.
44 reviews1 follower
August 13, 2020
Excellent read

Man I’m so glad I read this after the second part came out because now I don’t have to wait to read it. This was a very different kind of love story, who thinks they will fall in love with a homeless man?
Profile Image for J.L. Campbell.
Author 82 books234 followers
August 15, 2020
There was full disclosure that When I Needed You ended on a cliffhanger, so I knew what to expect. But man, Cain made me mad for like ten seconds while I wondered how and why he lost his mind and how he’ll redeem himself.

So Ahmalee, the candle maker, has her life turned upside down with the appearance of a homeless man at her place of business. He finds his way to her home and scares the stuffing out of her, but what he needs is help to get back on his feet. Ahmalee wrestles with herself about helping him, but the child her mother raised put things in perspective for her.

I wondered how Ms. Martin would make me like this story. The concept is way out there and I thought it was a little icky with Cain being homeless and therefore ripe to the nostrils, and possibly carrying vermin, etc., But, he’s a mystery that isn’t unravelled by the end of this book, by design. The reader does get a glimpse of his history through details shared with Ahmalee, but not the total picture.

She seems to have it all together, running her business, but Ahmalee is kinda-sorta a wreck on the inside. The anniversary of her mother’s death is on the horizon and Ahmalee doesn’t have the emotional support she needs to deal with losing both parents. Cain becomes that missing piece of her puzzle, but nothing is ever perfect. Her attraction to him is revealed as she peels away the layers of questions in her mind about his physical condition and the why of his situation.

This story opened my eyes to the struggles that push people to the point where they give up, and the disdain some of us have for the less fortunate. Plus, the fact that we all need support and people who believe in us on this journey called life. Then there’s the way we treat people less fortunate than us—refusing to interact with them, least we catch a disease from them or perhaps, we fear their misfortune will rub off on us.

This was an emotional tale that left me shattered at the end along with poor Ahmalee. But, as they say, every dark cloud has a silver lining. I can’t wait to see how Cain will make me look at him differently for his subterfuge, wrecking a good thing in the way he did, and how he did it.
October 15, 2020
❤️

I so loved this book. When Cain is first introduced I was immediately drawn to his character. I wanted to give him the biggest hug. This storyline is a little different being that the main male character is homeless but the entire book is told from the female perspective. This book touches on the importance of human decency and never judging anyone’s struggle. My one complaint is the heroin is really trusting and I believe she is still grieving the loss of her parents. So in a way, it seemed that Cain was a distraction for her. But she truly showed that there are really good people on this world—she went above and beyond to help Cain. The chemistry between the characters was out of this world and all they did was kiss! lol! But I will say the plot twist has me scratching my head because there wasn’t any indications or hints.. so looking forward to book two now.
Profile Image for Toya  Davis-Stokley.
1,592 reviews17 followers
August 10, 2020
What? I was so not ready for that ending! Ahmalee, was one of the sweetest people ever! For her to dig deep, and allow a stranger into her life the way that she did, was short of amazing. Cain, seemed to be a great guy, who was just down on his luck. The connection the two of them had was fire! The slow burn of them getting to know each other, but afraid to act out on their feelings was beautiful. Cannot wait to see what happens in book 2! Great read! 👍👍👍
104 reviews
February 11, 2022
When I Needed You by Tina Martin is book one of the Unlikely Love series. The story is about Ahmalee, an introverted grieving candle shop owner and Cain, a man she rescues from homelessness. Ahmalee gives Cain a place to stay in exchange for doing odd jobs around the house. I recently read another romance where the heroine takes in a homeless man, but I felt there was not enough motivating such a decision. In When I Needed You Ahmalee's character traits adequately explain her decisions. She helped Cain the way her recently deceased mother would have done.

Despite knowing this was a romance novel, I was still concerned about Ahmalee's safety at first. I would be worried one second and then laughing the next. Ahmalee's inner dialogue was very funny and I found myself laughing out loud. Tina Martin is a very funny writer. I recently read another one of her books, Bae Watch, and that had me laughing too.

Anyway, back to When I Needed You. I loved the premise of the story, but again, like I said, I was concerned for Ahmalee especially when she started showing signs of being attracted to Cain within a few days of knowing him. I loved the message that attraction has nothing to do with material possessions, but I wondered why Cain didn't go to a shelter or a soup kitchen. Then after I got over my concern for Ahmalee's safety, I began to be concerned about her mental health. Ahmalee became upset when Cain took initiative and did something very nice for her that she didn't ask him to do. I began to wonder if her subconscious motive for taking in Cain was to control him. One telling detail was when Cain went to look for a job and because Ahmalee couldn't reach him this triggered unresolved feelings of loss she experienced after losing both of her parents. I was relieved when Ahmalee apologized to Cain and explained why she flipped on him the way she did.

During the whole story I was hoping to find out that Cain was an angel on a mission to find one human with a compassionate heart. There is a suprise/cliff hanger ending, but Cain is not an angel.

Overall, I really liked this book and will be putting the rest of the series on my reading list.
Profile Image for Jite.
981 reviews55 followers
October 7, 2022
2.75 Stars.

This story was told in a sort of interesting where I didn’t really know where it was going till near the end. The premise is that candle-maker, Ahmalee, meets and is stalked by an apparently down-on-his-luck, homeless drifter, Cain at her workplace and at home. Despite initially being afraid of him, she takes him in and supports him in every way. Gradually as a friendship develops between the two, they both find the relationship mutually-beneficial till the twist at the end.

For me, I actually thought this was going to be a horror or romantic suspense sort of novel. I was convinced that Cain was a serial killer who intended Ahmalee harm for at least half of the book because of the ominous way in which details were revealed. This is a low/no-heat romance but it’s only the first part of a duet and with the ending, I suppose you will want to read the second book and that might have some heat.

I think one of my main issues with this book is that I don’t think it needed to be stretched into two books. This first part sort of dwells a little too much on the building of their friendship and there’s very limited conflict in that because Ahmalee is so sweet and Cain is so passive. I feel like the twist at the end could have happened earlier and then been resolved in this book and that would made this a stronger, more well-rounded books, rather than being somewhat pastoral.

There was also a unique take on discussing gender and what is “manly” and what is expected of a manly man or a womanly woman and it fit very much into traditional gender roles. I think there is definitely room to be attracted by those roles but it was kind of overly done for my taste and it kind of got overbearing in troping “men should” ideologies. And as much as I liked Ahmalee, she had an air of “pick me” about her that I didn’t love. It wasn’t overt but it kind of hovered around. I plan to read the next book hopefully, just to understand what a whole book of set up was about and to learn who Cain really is and what his motivations were.
Profile Image for Iris.
32 reviews
August 24, 2020
Ahmalee & "Cain"

When I Needed You is a nice romantic suspense story. It was more of a light read that can be finished in one afternoon. Ahmalee is an independent woman pursuing her dreams as a business owner. While still working through the grief of losing her parents. She is tested on her compassion with the introduction of Cain. Cain is a down on his luck character that has seemed to have lost everything after a bad business decision. He comes to Ahmalee for work and place to stay until he can get back on his feet. In a short amount of time the two grow close and sparks start to fly. However, before they can act on this newfound passion Cain receives a job offer and must leave. In a twist of events we the readers, not Ahmalee, learn that Cain is not who he claims to be. In fact, everything he told Ahmalee is a lie. In the next installment will the true "Cain" be revealed?

I would definitely recommend this book.
295 reviews2 followers
July 18, 2020
I don't even know where to begin with this review without giving too many spoilers. I will say I thoroughly enjoyed this read and wish everyone could be more like Ahmalee and not judge a book by its cover just because a person looks or lives differently than you. You never know when you can be in someone else's shoes and fall on hard times. From the beginning my mind kept asking who is Cain and where did he really come from? Is his story about how he became homeless true? How did he really decide to choose Ahmalee to be the one to help him? What was his end game? The ending of the story left me with even more questions and I can't wait until the next book is released. The character development and plot were excellently written and kept me intrigued and wanting to keep turning the page. I highly recommend this book if you don't mind a cliffhanger and love a good mystery.
This entire review has been hidden because of spoilers.
342 reviews5 followers
July 23, 2020
Ahmalee was so compassionate! I loved how Ahmalee's mundane life changed when Cain came on the scene. Ahmalee's judgemental demeanor slowly changed and she really showed how giving to others is really what makes a difference in this sick, sad world. I also loved that Cain continued to be a huge mystery and he's still a mystery. I'm so ready for July 31st because I need to know what secrets Cain is hiding! I have so many questions but I'm also looking forward to see what drove Cain to step away from his millionaire lifestyle and live as a homeless man. Also, I cannot wait to find out Ahmalee's reaction when she finds out who Cain really is! I loved the crock pot moment and how it became their personal joke. Overall, this story was a beautiful surprise and I'm so pumped up and ready the next book!! Tina Martin you did did that girl!
This entire review has been hidden because of spoilers.
Profile Image for Tiffany.
125 reviews3 followers
July 17, 2020
A Blazing Suspense Novel🔥🔥🔥

Whew! That whole last chapter had my eyes bugging out, but that ending had my jaw dropping screaming at my phone saying, " I know you lying!" Lol! This story was so heartfelt and emotional. It is so hard to find good, compassionate people like Ahmalee. The culture that we live in is a very selfish culture, so for her to help a complete stranger says alot about her character. Ahmalee, never expected to fall in love with Cain or whatever his name is. Even though Cain was homeless, I feel in love with the man he seemed to be. Now , that ending has me contemplating life! Lol! So many questions! Ugh! Mrs. Martin , I'm loving this style of writing! Keep dropping this blazing novels! Grab this book! I promise you won't be disappointed!
453 reviews
February 21, 2021
WOW!

This book is so good. It was not sexual and still good. Now this is how to write a book. This told a story that did not include a whole chapter about sex. I don't care if the next one has sex, because you have already given us the meat of the story. This is an awesome book. I am so angry at myself for hesitating to read it. My daughter told me it was good. She told me about it and I still read it like I had never heard anything about it. I am not giving any of the story away, I don't care who does. Good, good book. You won't be able to put it down. All I will say is, we need more people like Ahmalee. WOW, just WOW!!!!!!
Profile Image for Crystal.
71 reviews
July 19, 2020
When I needed You

O-M-G!!!!! Tina I am so done with you! I’m over here ugly crying 😭. Human kindness is so so so needed today. I loved Ahmalee ( I hope I spelled that correctly) braveness to do the right thing by someone who was less fortunate even when her friends didn’t approve. I too am an introvert but meeting the right person will bring out the extrovert in anyone. I love ALL of your books! But I think this is my favorite ❤️. I still love you ONLY because I don’t have long to wait for Book 2.
Profile Image for Tikia.
315 reviews
September 8, 2020
Good start

Romantic suspense at it's best. Ahmalee is an entrepreneur of a candle company. She is still working through the grief of losing her parents. Trying to find her way. Her mom was a giver and she is reminded of this when a homeless man Cain seeks her help. She is scared at first but eventually decides to help. Cain is a fraud never telling the whole truth but taking her heart in the process. I'm glad I waited until both books were out. Let's see if Cain can redeem himself in part 2.
April 11, 2021
What the hell of a surprise. I didn't see it coming. Cain, my dear loving Cain, what in this word going to get you out of the mess you made. My sweet and loving Ahmalee has a heart of gold. But, once she finds out the truth that gold is going to melt, because of the heat that fire is going to bring. I would not have guess the story was headed in this direction. The author has one hell of an imagination. I'm not one to give out SPOILERS. Take my word you will enjoy Cain and Ahmalee's story. I totally recommend. Also, the narrator did a great job. ENJOY!
15 reviews
July 18, 2020
Excuse me while I attempt to get myself together

I usually pass on the cliffhangers because they have a tendency to leave me feeling empty - lost - afterwards. Not this one! I love the character development. I can see a bit of myself in sister girl . The transparency she and Vain share is refreshing and inspiring. Together they evoke us to examine our own truths. Waiting with great anticipation for the next part of their story!
July 20, 2020
Oh my goodness!!!

I am new at reading your books, and I’ve already read more than 10 so far and plan to read more. This book, “When I Needed You,” had such a surprising end, I am more than anxious for the 2nd book. Ahmalee really took a chance on Cain and it may have or may not have paid off. Tina Martin, you are such a gifted writer. I’m looking forward to reading every book you have written, but right now I want the 2nd book in the ‘unlikely love series’
Oh my God

This book will pull you in right from the start. Ahmalee and Cain's relationship is so sweet and unexpected! Tina Martin has woven an unbelievable story together with a climatic ending. This story will have you laughing, crying and bewildered. Purchase this book. You will not be disappointed! Did I mention cliffhanger! I'm on pins and needles waiting for the conclusion!
Profile Image for Nevada.
132 reviews
April 13, 2021
Who knew -
You have to treat people like people, no matter where they are in life.
Treat the CEO just like you would a janitor.
What I knew and learned...
Do your best in whatever you choose to do; you never know who is watching.
You can be someone's motivation.
You can be someone's example
You may even be someone's protege'.
Lastly, with the support of a woman, you can be a king or a peasant.

346 reviews
February 12, 2022
literally jaw dropping!

Oh wow. I was so engaged with this book because in a time when it seems like people are mean and don’t care about others, I was getting all worked up asking myself how do I treat homeless people or a person who fell on hard times. This book has me in tears until the end and now I’m mad😊

I’m ready to read the next part. Great way to make a person take a self examination 🧐
Profile Image for Butterbean.
117 reviews3 followers
April 2, 2022
It's a sweet beginning of a developing romance between a homeless man and a business owner wrestling with her cautious nature while helping this stranger. I saw the twist coming and wished that it went some other, more interesting route. I also wished that Ahmahlee asked more obvious questions. I enjoy the couple, so I may check out the other two books in hopes that they wont be too predictable.
2 reviews
Cain/not Cain

Phantom, CEO, multi-millionaire my jaw did drop and Ahmalee what a sweet person need more like her and that letter was so sweet overall this book so good if I could give it more than 5 stars I would so if you read reviews before you buy you should go ahead and buy this book I think you will love it I did
Profile Image for Michele Hallahan.
260 reviews5 followers
Maaannnn!

I know somebody better have a good explanation. I'm not saying anything, but somebody better have a good explanation. Walkin around scaring people for nothing. Oooo, how are we gonna fix this? As much as I love the St. Claire series, this one here....maaannnn. Let's go July 31st.
13 reviews
She did it again!

At the beginning I was a little disappointed in and scared for Ahmalee. She knew her mom would have help the homeless dude, then he just showed up at her house what the world. I was totally hooked . Did not see that ending coming. Tina Martin you did it again can't wait for part 2. If you have not read you better get your copy.
18 reviews
July 28, 2020
Huge Cliffhanger!

Tina I'm not gonna lie I called you a bad word when I read that last page. I watch a lot of lifetime so i saw it coming but myka still dropped smh. Definitely a great read with a host of lessons we all need to learn as humans. Compassion, boundaries, grief, real friendship, learning to really get to know someone before you judge. Canf wait for book 2
Displaying 1 - 30 of 82 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.