Start by marking “The Pear Shaped Man” as Want to Read:
The Pear Shaped Man

The Pear Shaped Man

Everyone knows a Pear-Shaped Man. Jessie meets hers when she and her friend Angela move into their new apartment--he lives in the rotten-smelling basement apartment--wet lips, whiny voice, eating Cheez Doodles with warm Coke. He's always waiting for her, inviting her down to his apartment ... he has 'things' to show her. When Jessie's obsession with this repulsive man turn ...more
Kindle Edition, Pulphouse Short Story Paperbacks #37
Published (first published 1991)

Start your review of The Pear Shaped Man
Pedro António
Dec 15, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013-read, horror
This was definitely one of the creepiest stories I've ever read. George R. R. Martin does creepy incredibly well and I felt uneasy from start to end. The plot gets progressively more nauseating until the twist at the very end, which I found absolutely hilarious and definitely did not see coming.

As a whole I quite liked it and feel like I got my hour's worth of enjoyment. I'm also never going to eat cheetos again and no, I do NOT want your things.
SG
Sep 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was "Stephen King" level creepy.
Harshad Sharma
Sep 15, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: supence-thriller
One hell of a creepy story, i came to know about this in a GRRM interview where he was recollecting how when he came home form an award ceremony where he was awarded the best horror story for this and showed his mom the award with the inscription, "George R.R Martin","The Pear Shaped Man" the only thing his mother said was, that is a very rude thing to say about someone.

The interview was hilarious, his mother's story was hilarious, THIS STORY IS NOT. You will get the creeps for a week after rea
Robin Hobb
This was my introduction to the writing of George RR Martin. I bought the Pulphouse chapbook at a Norwescon many years ago, when it first came out. This is a chiseled gem of a story, one that made me immediately go out in search of books by George RR Martin. Creepy and completely unique.The Pear Shaped Man ...more
Samuel
Dec 09, 2016 rated it liked it
A disturbing, sickening psychological horror story. Just utterly nauseating. It won Martin the Bram Stoker Award for Best Long Fiction back in 1987, and it’s easy to see why, as it’s a very memorable and fascinating story.

Martin imbibes the story with such a strong sense of dread and repulsion, he’s so good at bringing up feelings of disgust and paranoia. None of the characters in the story are particularly likable, but the protagonist is certainly relatable, and her descent as the story goes on
Teresa
May 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
For those of you who associate George R.R. Martin solely to 'A Song of Ice and Fire', I have one thing to tell you: read this story. It's a quick read and it will leave you with your mouth wide open, your mind blown, goosebumps all over your skin, and a sickening feeling in your stomach. Props to you if you read this at night when the house is quiet.
Laura Lusardi
Jul 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Creepy and occasionally funny story about a beautiful illustrator living with a downstairs neighbor who has wet lips and a thing for Cheez Doodles. Visceral, gross, well told.
Kevin
Mar 29, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Kevin by: Heather Hill
Definitely weird and disturbing, as advertised.
Marta
That was... disturbing
Simone Bocedi
Sep 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
CREEPY AF! Would have loved to read more about it.
Kitty Red-Eye
Eeeeek! Eeeew! I'm creeped out just the way it was intended. Hilariously disgusting stalker neighbour monster, well done :) - could be a Twilight Zone episode. One of the good ones.

Some compare the Pear-Shaped Man to The Three-Eyed Crow aka Bloodraven. Will be exciting to see if the CotF and Bloodraven are more villains than not, in the end. Would make for a cool twist for sure.
Daken Howlett
Jul 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
Classico racconto horror che riesce a creare un'atmosfera opprimente e disturbante partendo da pochi dettagli apparentemente fuori posto in un contesto quotidiano comune e banale,creando un crescendo che porta a chiedersi se non sia tutto frutto della mente malata e prevenuta della protagonista,prima del colpo di scena che chiude degnamente la vicenda.
Lizzy
Apr 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
disturbing
Div
Jun 20, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Joe Williams
Jan 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is one of the creepiest, most bizarre stories that I've ever read. And regardless of your views on ASOIAF series, there is no denying that George R.R. Martin is a great writer and damn entertaining fella. Take an afternoon and treat yourself to this weird, little gem.
Vessy
Oct 31, 2017 rated it liked it
Very disturbing and quite disgusting. It's a short story but I read it in parts partly because I was grossed out at where this was going. I'm really not sure if I enjoyed it but it's well written
Jessica Shu
Aug 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Hilarious, creepy, accurate. I read this in an empty library at around 11 pm and suggest you find a similarly eerie location to enjoy this story. Really bumped it from a 4 to a 5.
Torie
Jan 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
that was horrifying.
Bah Humpug
A thoroughly creepy and entertaining read.
Justin Williams
May 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
Disturbing but a solid short read.
Radoslava
Nov 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
It was weird. Weirdly discustingly well written.
John
Sep 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Listened to the audio-book of this today that happens to be available on youtube. Great way to start off my Halloween reads!
Geoff
Jan 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is an award winning novella of horror by Martin done back in 1987, before he went 100% fantasy. It is a pretty creepy story. At first you don't expect much. A mentally handicapped pear-shaped man is stalking a young woman, who has recently moved into an apartment complex with some friends. The girl starts freaking out, though, and becomes scared of the man. Nothing over the top at this point, as this man is mentally handicapped, and we don't know what to assume at this point. But then she t ...more
Katie Antonelli
Feb 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: scary-stories
As creepy as creepy can get
A. B. Lucian
Feb 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
Nailbitting...
Netanella
Aug 31, 2012 rated it really liked it
I read this many, many years ago and I've always been repulsed by Cheese Doodles ever since. I loved re-reading this story - Martin is a favorite!
Robert
Feb 21, 2014 rated it liked it
Pretty decent short story. Probably better than decent if you find horror stories scary or interesting. I don't, so it's wasted on me.
Lilienstein
Jun 19, 2017
Ron Dionne
Dec 14, 2011
David
Oct 25, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• 1979 Short Stories: The Way of Cross and Dragon (Study Guide)
  • Meathouse Man
  • I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream
  • Little Knife (Grishaverse, #2.6)
  • The Too-Clever Fox (Grishaverse, #2.5)
  • The Night Wire
  • The Jigsaw Man
  • Engines of Desire: Tales of Love & other Horrors
  • The Valancourt Book of Horror Stories: Volume One
  • Young Goodman Brown
George R.R. Martin was born September 20, 1948, in Bayonne, New Jersey. His father was Raymond Collins Martin, a longshoreman, and his mother was Margaret Brady Martin. He has two sisters, Darleen Martin Lapinski and Janet Martin Patten.