Start by marking “Driftwood Summer” as Want to Read:
Driftwood Summer

Driftwood Summer

Three sisters- responsible Riley, vivacious Maisy, and fun-loving Adalee-reunite to save the family's beach-community bookstore. But summer also marks the return of Mack Logan, whose choice of Maisy over Riley years ago destroyed the special closeness between the sisters...

Now Riley, a single mom, is hiding a shattering secret about their mother. Maisy, a California desig
Published June 2nd 2009 by NAL (first published June 5th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Driftwood Summer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Driftwood Summer

Evermore by Alyson NoelNorth of Beautiful by Justina ChenSelina Penaluna by Jan PageThis Lullaby by Sarah DessenThe Dark Divine by Bree Despain
Cover Couples
967 books — 600 voters
The Help by Kathryn StockettTo Kill a Mockingbird by Harper LeeThe Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk KiddFried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe by Fannie FlaggGarden Spells by Sarah Addison Allen
Quirky Southern Fiction
784 books — 1,900 voters

More lists with this book...

Felina
Jun 22, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2010, favorites, star-5
Once again I sit here with eggs on my face. This book comes from a genre that I have publically loathed and snubbed. I am the fantasy/sci-fi chick who looks down at girls who spend their time reading 'stupid chick lit drivel’. I think I have good reason to dislike romance books. I think they put unfair and impossible standards on men to which they can never achieve and make ALL women feel inadequate. I mean, if your man won’t fly across the world and bust into your office during the year end mee ...more
Lindsey Lang
Jan 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing
this was a truly beautiful book! i think i finished the entire second half today because i just couldn't bear to put it down. this book has it all; love, family, secrets, hurt, betrayal, and so much more, all wrapped around my favorite two things: books and the beach! a perfect summer read, if you can get your hands on this book it's a must read!!
Holly Stephens
May 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing

If I could give a book 10 stars, I would give it to this one. Better review to come but overall, a wonderful great read!

*updated July 10*
In a word, I would call this book, refreshing. This was one of those books that had me laughing out loud, crying at certain moments, and at the end, I was sad it was over.

We start off with Riley, the oldest of the three sisters, who runs a bookstore with her mom and young son. "Mama" as all good southern kids call their mom, took a stumble down the stairs and
Mary
Jul 28, 2009 rated it really liked it
I went back and forth between 3 and 4 stars. I think it's a good vacation read. Funny how I've gravitated that way lately. No actual beach vacation for us this year so I'm reading books about people who live at the shore! I liked the author's writing. Having 6 sisters, I think Patti Callahan Henry did a great job portraying the Sheffield sisters' relationships with each other. It may have gotten a little dramatic and intense at times but that was believable as well. Another aspect of the novel t ...more
Feb 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: general-fiction
A book about a bookstore? Sign me up! Although at first glance this appears to be little more than summer chick lit, it was throughly engaging and I could not help but love all the name dropping of books and authors. However, I had difficulty comprehending how the grudge between the two eldest sisters carried on for so many years. Get over it already people! Overall, a worthwhile read and a welcome bright spot during the winter months.
Danielle
Jul 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a reread from long ago...it's one of my favorite books and I forgot how much I loved it until I picked it up again!
Hannah
Jun 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Oh, this book makes my heart shine. Through happy tears and sad tears and the understanding of family issues; this book weaves together the beach and the sand and family.
Kate
Jun 02, 2010 rated it it was ok
Beach read--breezy, not substantial. The setting, which is, in fact, a beach town, is described beautifully. The character development is not as well done. Two sisters return home (where mom & a 3rd sister live & run a bookstore). The town is buzzing with the anniversary of the store/historic home, which is being marked with a week of celebratory events. One man returning is the guy two of the sisters were in love with the last time they saw him, back when they were in their late teens. ...more
Kathryn
This was my first introduction to Patti Callahan Henry and really... it was a good one. I enjoyed the audiobook version. I liked the story of the three sisters, all different but when it comes down to it family is important. I liked the setting and the bookstore within Driftwood Cottage and all the characters that entered that store. Riley's story I particularly liked and lastly I liked that it was the sisters that bonded together and saved the day.
Tina Lovell
Jun 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: women contemparay fiction fans
I just finished driftwood Summer! I highly reccomend it! it is written by Patti Callahan Henry, it explores the relationship between 3 sisters who need to keep the family bookstore up and running when their Mother is injured in a fall, the complicated realtionships and deep resentments between the sisters comes out and are brouht to light, I choose it because I love southern fiction. But anyone who enjoys contemparary fiction would enjoy this book !
Miranda
Dec 11, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Driftwood Summer is the story of three sisters, all raised in small beach side town where people flock every summer to get away from their busy city lives. Although they were all raised there, the oldest, Riley, is the only one permanently living there, along with her son Brayden. The two live over the bookstore that Riley and her mother own. Maisy ran away from the sleepy little town twelve years ago, and the youngest sister, Adalee, has been busy at college.

But now it's the bookstore's 200th
Ashley
Mar 13, 2019 rated it liked it
Ok I’m only about 2/3 way through this book. I’m enjoying the plot a lot, but what is up with the editing? Names seem to be confused constantly...Logan and Lodge are used interchangeably even though they are 2 separate characters. One minute a guy’s first name is Sheppard and the next he’s Mr. Sheppard as is it’s his last name. There’s a character named Ethel that they sometimes call Edith. And there are spelling errors everywhere, combining 3 words into one.
Normally small errors don’t bother m
Theresa
When Riley Sheffield's sisters, Maisy and Adalee, are called home to help with their mother's book store celebration, old rivalries and hurts rise to the surface. As Riley struggles to put her mother's elaborate plans in play, the three sisters redefine their relationship after 13 years of being distant. Henry does a good job of creating believable characters who struggle with their flaws and shine with their God-given gifts. Although the book ends on a happy note, there's plenty of realistic ep ...more
Kira
Jun 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite authors. I love her style! Probably because her novels are thick with all the sweet things of the south, and this book especially was filled the things that comfort my soul: books, a quaint family owned bookshop, decades long friendships, family ties, tiny southeastern coastal towns, coffee, books, beach, love, friendship, and more books, beach and family ! This, like all of her novels I have read, was a super fast and easy read. This one ranks at the top of my favorites by he ...more
Renee
Jun 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
What can be better than a bookstore and the beach? Not much in my opinion! This is a really sweet book about family...sisters coming together to help their mama, trying to face the past they ran away from, tell the secrets from years before, face lost loves and teenage summer romances. Really a great read...I enjoyed the characters, setting, and the conclusion of this book. I will certainly be looking for additional books by this author!
Catherine Schramm
Jul 01, 2017 rated it it was ok
Whew, with four whiney women as characters, each of them blamed a singular event for their inability in achieve complete happiness. Now, they need to cooperate to save the family business. As the story unfolded, I lost patience with the characters.
Deborah
Dec 17, 2017 rated it it was ok
This book was just okay. The editing in the edition I read was poorly done and very distracting; for instance, for two pages a character named Ethel was referred to as Edith. I often found myself frustrated with the characters, too.
Rachel Koch Gonzalez
Jun 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is your classic beach tale of sister struggles. Sick mom, estranged siblings, brought together by sickness and an economic crisis. It was good and a quick read, but it wasn't anything that hasn't already been done.
K
Sep 04, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fluff. Light, predictable book. But sometimes we just need some fluff in our lives. I listened to the CD. Truthfully, the only reason I picked up the book was because it was read by Julia Whelan. my favorite narrator!!
Megan Ramus
Mar 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
4 stars for a beach read. Super light, and a bit predictable, but I did really enjoy it. Read it in a day! (Not feeling great, so several hours 😉)
Anita
Mar 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
It was a very uneventful book..
Kerri
Jun 22, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jan
Nov 09, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Bleh...
Cindy
Jan 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Totally down to earth with realistic situations and likable characters. A great beach escape read!
Annette
Mar 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-read-2018
Good beach read, enjoyed it!
Bsuess
Sep 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
was a great find for me, 2 things I love TOGETHER. BOOKS AND THE BEACH...I can do books without the beach, but not the beach.
Bree
Jul 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Delightful reading.
Amanda
Aug 30, 2018 rated it liked it
Seriously, I love the combination of bookstore and ocean. It's like all my dreams come true. The family drama in this one was a bit predictable, but I still loved the story.
Stephanie
Sep 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
My first Patti Callahan Henry book and I fell in love. This book was beautiful. I laughed and cried...also rolled my eyes a lot.
Kim Hardy
Jul 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Another good summer read. This had a little romance, but the main focus was the story of a family of 3 girls and their mother...how they fought in the past and how they find their way back to family. Good story. I will recommend it to others.
  • Beach Trip
  • Beach Colors
  • Moon Shell Beach
  • Seven Year Switch
  • The Beach Trees
  • Ten Beach Road (Ten Beach Road, #1)
  • Last Light Over Carolina
  • What Happened to Hannah
  • Lily of the Springs
  • The Kindest Thing
  • The Secret of Everything
  • The House on Oyster Creek
  • The Beach House (The Beach House #1)
Patti Callahan Henry is the New York Times Bestelling novelist of eleven novels. Her latest is THE BOOKSHOP AT WATER'S END with Penguin Random House/Berkley

“Let the story settle inside you. Let it move and twist around until you see what it has to say to you.” 7 likes
“Stories are always braided together - one affecting the other.” 7 likes