Start by marking “The Silent Daughter” as Want to Read:
The Silent Daughter

The Silent Daughter

In the age of digital footprints, is it possible to disappear? And how long would it take to notice someone is missing?

When his wife May is taken into hospital after a serious fall during a competitive run, Chris Morrison does what anyone would do in a crisis: he phones his family. His son Mikey answers the call, but his daughter Ruth doesn't. She's always been distant, of
Published September 3rd 2020 by Welbeck Publishing Group

To ask other readers questions about The Silent Daughter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Silent Daughter

Start your review of The Silent Daughter
Ken
Jun 26, 2021 rated it really liked it
Social media can give a distorted picture of a person's life.
This brilliant debut takes the premises of how well do we really know what someone is upto judging by their timeline.

It only becomes apparent when Chris Morris needs to get in contact with his daughter Ruth after her mother Maria is in a coma after a serious head injury from a fall.

Chris soon discovers that Ruth's online activities have all been inaccurate with random pictures being uploaded to create an illusion of numerous destinatio
Bookread2day
Sep 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Wow! The Silent Daughter is an outstanding book full of suspense. I loved the sharp short chapters that helped me wiz through this book wanting answers to questions that husband, father Chris Morrision needed. It did make me wonder how many secrets can a family keep from each other?

Chris Morrison’s 58-year-old wife Maria a secondary school teacher is in a coma after serious head injuries in Edinburgh city centre. She had been taken to Edinburgh Royal infirmary.

What was Maria doing sprinting aw
Miriam Smith (A Mother’s Musings)
Sep 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: twitter
Emma Christie is a debut author and “The Silent Daughter” is a timely psychological thriller that covers an emotional theme within an intriguing mystery. I was truly caught out at the ending, after being sent down quite a few rabbit holes on the journey and I thought the plot was cleverly executed with various twists to keep the reader guessing.
“Chris Morrison is facing his worst nightmare. His wife is in a coma. His daughter is missing and the only thing more unsettling than these two events .
Rachel Hall
Sep 02, 2020 rated it liked it
Just when I thought the psychological thriller genre had lost its capacity to surprise me, something more true than ever in the digital age, and Emma Christie’s impressive debut did just that in a thoroughly compelling mystery of family secrets. Centred around a desperate father attempting to unravel the circumstances that have left his wife in a coma and his daughter missing, the novel is well-written and emotionally engaging.

When sixty-year-old former newspaper reporter, Chris Morrison, receiv
Jo Furniss
Oct 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
Soon after Maria Morrison Hidalgo suffers a fall while running, husband Chris realises that their daughter has been missing for months without anyone even noticing. With her social media posts a misleading sham, how can he track the girl down, and find out what really happened to Maria? A relentless quest to unearth the secrets of his own family, leads to a surprising climax.
Olivia H
Jul 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I SO enjoyed this book. A bad accident for a family member triggers an absolute family nightmare of secrets and lies. Brilliantly written with heart and tenderness (despite some parts of it that whilst reading, were outright dark) I had so many theories as to what had happened and went on a real rollercoaster AND I STILL DIDN'T GUESS. ...more
Philippa East
Sep 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I found this book a real page-turner, confidently written and well paced. I didn't guess how the plot would turn out and I feel this book takes the 'thriller' into important new territory. Accomplished, original and gripping. ...more
Vikki Patis
Jul 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A stunning and emotional debut. Christie writes raw and realistic characters, with a twisty and fast-paced plot set in atmospheric Edinburgh. Truly gripping and incredibly well-written.
Joanne
Aug 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Full review to follow for the blogtour but for now just want to say WOW, what a brilliant debut. Kept me guessing throughout and was so, so clever!
Michael
Nov 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
About 10 years ago I rode up the Telica Volcano with Emma Christie Writer and we became facebook friends! Over the past several years I have followed the journey that led to the publication of the Silent Daughter and after borrowing a friends UK address was able to buy it on Kindle. I just finished it and can say beyond a doubt it was one of the best debut thrillers I have read in a long time! Great story, complex characters and a phenomenal and realistic ending! Looking forward to the next book ...more
Siobhan Jackson
Oct 31, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was disappointed by the ending...although I loved the twist, it wasn't the twist I expect in this genre of book so overall left me feeling like it was all a bit of a cop out. Until the big twist though I was enjoying the book so can't really complain! ...more
Jessica
Jun 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Chris’s life is turned upside down when his wife has an accident and ends up in a coma and his daughter goes missing. Are the two incidents connected?

What an amazing debut by Emma Christie! I know it sounds like a cliche when you say you couldn’t put a book down, but the statement was made for books like this.

As the story unfolded I got more and more drawn in, there was just so many twists and turns. Each time I thought I had a character figured out, their story went in a different direction.
Nicola Smith
Sep 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is a debut? Are you sure? Wow!

The tagline for The Silent Daughter is "How many secrets can one family keep?". How many indeed. The Morrison family seem to have more than most. The book starts with Chris Morrison finding out his wife, Maria, is in a coma after a fall whilst running. But Maria is such a competent runner. Would she have just fallen? Chris makes contact easily with their son, Mikey, but struggles to get hold of their daughter, Ruth. It's not unusual for Ruth to go off-grid but
Kerri
Sep 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is such a clever, intriguing and emotional story.

The story is based in Scotland in the seaside town of Portobello, which might sound quaint, but in December it sets a very damp scene. We meet main character, Chris, as he learns that his wife, Maria, has had a terrible accident and has been left in a coma, but as he says …

‘Did she fall or was she pushed?’

As he and his son, Mikey, keep a bedside vigil, Chris finds that his daughter, Ruth, is not answering her mobile or responding to emails, w
Caron Mckinlay
Oct 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely breathtaking thriller that I devoured in 48hrs.

Such vivid and unique imagery in the prose such as
" He did not want pieces of his wife stuck under his fingernails. But Christ, she’d always be there. On him, in him."
made this such a joy to read.

The narrative and suspense was so well crafted that I shifted my suspicions throughout, always thinking that this time - I had discovered the mystery. I never did.

I thoroughly enjoyed the inclusion of the murderer's voice that was cleverly interw
Bec
Feb 24, 2021 rated it it was amazing
𝗝𝘂𝘀𝘁 𝗵𝗼𝘄 𝗺𝗮𝗻𝘆 𝘀𝗲𝗰𝗿𝗲𝘁𝘀 𝗰𝗼𝘂𝗹𝗱 𝗼𝗻𝗲 𝗳𝗮𝗺𝗶𝗹𝘆 𝗸𝗲𝗲𝗽?

Journalist Chris and his wife, Maria have been married for many years. They have two grown up children, Mikey and Ruth.

Like most people their age, Mikey and Ruth have their own lives now. Mikey is married and has his own business, and Ruth works as a tour guide. For months at a time, she's out of contact.

Until she disappears without a trace whilst her mother lays in a coma. The police are convinced Maria fell, but Chris isn't.

Everyone is lying. And b
Alva
Jul 29, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An absolute belter of a story, a stunning debut novel from Emma Christie. The Silent Daughter is one of those books that keeps pulling you back to read it when you have a thousand other things to do. Each chapter sends you down a path where you feel there might be a solution, and you find yourself in a different maze, with new paths, new problems, new theories, new suspects. An extraordinary examination of self in Chris Morrison as he tries to unravel the cause of his wife's accident, his daught ...more
Debbie Hall
Sep 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I bought this book on a bit of a whim as I really liked the cover and the blurb. I'm glad I took a chance as I really enjoyed it. In this book Chris's wife is in a coma, his daughter is missing and his son is behaving in a suspicious manner, in fact everyone in the family seems to have a secret to keep. I enjoyed the mystery of what was happening with the family and was very surprised by the ending ; I thought I had figured out what was going on but I had not. I did find the ending very satisfyi ...more
Sarah Smith
Feb 27, 2021 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this debut from Emma Christie. Initially, it comes across as an effortlessly simple whodunnit but it's more multi-layered than a run of the mill crime novel. I found the way Chris is able to explore his own and his family's past and use his investigative journalism skills to solve the mystery fascinating. There's a level of detail that makes The Silent Daughter feel authentic and completely plausible. I guessed the reveal before it happened but that didn't spoil my enjoyment at ...more
Jordi Hooper
Jun 16, 2021 rated it it was amazing
It's not often a book leaves me speechless, but The Silent Daughter certainly did that. I have read so many books in this genre that it is often difficult to surprise me but this blew me away!

The story opens with Chris' wife, Maria having a horrible accident while out for a run. What follows is a web of deceit, twists, turns and turmulous family history.

I read this book while on holiday and honestly if it weren't for that, I would have sat and read it in one sitting! As it was, I found myself r
Jake O Gorman
Nov 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Up there with Girl in a Train and Gone Girl

Where do I even begin? I've just finished this incredible book. Fell asleep reading it last night and couldn't get out of bed this morning (luckily it's Sunday) until I got to the end. I've read hundreds of psychological thrillers but this is the first time I've felt so strongly about a book that I'm taking time I really don't have to post this review. It's very rare that I don't figure the twist out in advance and for a while, I thought I had, but not
Emilee.H
Nov 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
Not usually a book that I would read but... I am truly amazed with my enjoyment of it.

A book about a family, what you would see as a ‘normal’ family, but the secrets each one of them holds are massive. This book is constantly giving you questions and then with the answers to those questions, more questions occur, compelling you to read on.

Although I thought the book was going to have an aspect of murder in, it did not and I was completely shocked but content with the outcome of the read.

Extrem
MRS M S SANDERSON
Huge letdown

I found this a bit of an anti climax all in all. Ok so the twist was not expected, but to be led down the garden path like that I rather hoped for a melodramatic conclusion,which simply was not worth the wait. Also, whoever did the editing should be ashamed. So many mistakes, words repeated twice in one sentence, not in the correct order, errors every six or seven pages. Character names were used too often, especially that of the protagonist, which was simply unnecessary.
Emma H-W
Mar 04, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Chris' wife has had a nasty accident and gone into a coma under suspicious circumstances. He can't get hold of his daughter, and soon finds out that she's completely disappeared. Lies have run rife through his family, so can Chris get to the bottom of what's happened before it's too late?

I found this absolutely gripping, and while I did predict the end it was only because my aunt had used some (non-spoilery) choice words to describe it, which got my mind whirring. This is an excellent debut nove
Stevie Christie
Sep 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I enjoy reading novels set in Edinburgh - such an evocative location for any plot! And what a great plot this was. Calling it a page turner may be cliche - but that's what it is. I stayed up way too late reading as I couldn't wait to see what happened next. I enjoy reading Peter May's books and The Silent Daughter was every bit as gripping and well-written - but with a far more original twist! I can't say more .. but can definitely recommend that you find out for yourself. ...more
Claire (c.isfor.claire_reads)
I love a psychological thriller and this debut novel didn't disappoint.

I thoroughly loved the storyline with its fast paced plot set in Edinburgh. It certainly had many twists and turns which kept me turning the pages. The plot unfolds brilliantly and its both suspenseful and emotional, with the author taking you on an emotional roller-coaster of a journey as family deceits and secrets come to light.
A brilliant and sensitively handled twist at the end.
Well worth a read.
Nikki Marmery
Oct 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is a stylish and pacy thriller that is impossible to put down. Chris's wife Maria is in a coma and his daughter Ruth is missing. His search for answers is interspersed with a first-person narrative from whoever is behind Ruth's disappearance, which really ratchets up the suspense and sense of urgency. The prose has some lovely touches, fantastic imagery and descriptions, and the author handles some difficult themes deftly and with sensitivity. Fantastic debut from Emma Christie! ...more
Sam Brownley)
Jan 03, 2021 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. A brilliant debut which would stand up against authors who have been writing for decades.
The Secret Daughter is full of compelling characters with real relationships and the descriptions of Edinburgh made me feel like I had visited the areas and streets within the story.
This is a story of love, of real life, of the fears that we all have and the decisions that keep us awake at night.
It is a story that must be read and I can't wait to read whatever Emma writes next.
Katherine Lindsay
Aug 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
An amazing debut novel that had me hooked from the first page. Really well written characters and the plot twists kept me guessing right till the end! I loved the descriptions of Edinburgh and Portobello as well.
I’m very much looking forward to reading the next novel by Emma Christie given the high standard of this one.
Anna

• The List
  • Out of My Mind
  • Betty
  • Me
  • Good Girl, Bad Girl (Cyrus Haven, #1)
  • Inheritance: A Memoir of Genealogy, Paternity, and Love
  • Dance of Hearts: a Cinderella Regency Romance Retelling (Historical Fantasy Fairytale Retellings Book 1)
  • The Garden of Forgotten Wishes
  • Body Language
  • Fire And Ice
  • The Tuscan Contessa
  • Handstands In The Dark: A True Story of Growing Up and Survival
  • Le Livre des Baltimore
Emma Christie grew up in a book-filled house in Cumnock, an Ayrshire coal-mining town.

After quitting her law degree to study English literature and medieval history at Aberdeen University, she spent five years working as a news reporter with one of the UK's top-selling regional daily newspapers, The Press and Journal.

Throughout her journalism career, she secretly wanted to be every author she ever