Start by marking “The Bone Maker” as Want to Read:
The Bone Maker

The Bone Maker

Twenty-five years ago, five heroes risked their lives to defeat the bone maker Eklor—a corrupt magician who created an inhuman army using animal bones. But victory came at a tragic price. Only four of the heroes survived.

Since then, Kreya, the group’s leader, has exiled herself to a remote tower and devoted herself to one purpose: resurrecting her dead husband. But such a
Published March 9th 2021 by Harper Voyager

To ask other readers questions about The Bone Maker, please sign up.
Dan I don't think it says her / their age(s), but I assumed the five heroes were all young & in their prime when the war was fought (i.e. early to mid twe…moreI don't think it says her / their age(s), but I assumed the five heroes were all young & in their prime when the war was fought (i.e. early to mid twenties); 25 years later she & they would be middle aged (mid to late forties) - which I enjoyed as it's not something you often see in fantasy stories.(less)
Minirainbowbug To an extent. There are times when the group splits and the story is told from another team member's viewpoint, but primarily the book is told from th…moreTo an extent. There are times when the group splits and the story is told from another team member's viewpoint, but primarily the book is told from the main protagonist's viewpoint. (less)

Start your review of The Bone Maker
Emily May
Mar 16, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, 2021
"Do you trust me?"
"I know you want me to say 'with my life,' but in the interest of complete honesty, I'm going to have to go with 'sometimes.'"

As with every other book I've read by Durst, I had such a fun time reading The Bone Maker. I'm going to say right here that I don't feek this book is quite as dark in tone as the cover might have you think. Some of the themes it touches upon are dark - death, war, PTSD, etc. - but the tone was reminiscent of late 2000s urban fantasy. It's a fast-pace
megs_bookrack
Feb 22, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs-read
Twenty-five years ago, the five heroes of Vos waged an epic battle against an evil magician, Eklor. Although the heroes won, only four lived to tell the tale.

This fight, now the stuff of legends, was memorialized in songs and stories, but the ones who fought it went their separate ways when it was over.

Kreya, the group's leader, lost her husband, Jennt, tragically in the battle. Saving his body, she has moved the two of them into a tower in the mountains, far from other people.

Kreya is a bone wo
Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘

(too long, oops) review now posted!! ✨

I've written so many notes and most of them seem petty and useless now but first of all, I have one thing I want to say before my review goes all over the place (sorry) : you should be wary of your expectations, because for some reason*** I was convinced that I'd find a dark fantasy novel, and dark fantasy novel it is not. Had I known what I'd find, it wouldn't have taken me so much time to come to peace with what The Bone Maker is offering and above all,
Angelica
Sep 09, 2020 rated it it was ok
The concept behind this book is amazing. The execution failed me. I wanted more from this book than I got. I kept waiting for that moment when I fell in love with the story and the character, but it never came.

When I started this book, I was sure that I was going to like it. Right from chapter one, I felt this had the potential to be a five-star book. But, that's because it started interestingly and fast-paced.

There are three types of bone magic users in the novel, bone seers who see the future
Helena Paris
Sep 11, 2020 marked it as to-read
Shelves: high-fantasy, adult, arcs
I received this complimentary ARC from the publisher, in exchange for an honest review.
Jackie ϟ Bookseller
I received an ARC of this title from the publisher via Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review.

5/5 stars: ★★★★★

"Maybe there were no perfect choices for anyone to make, hero or villain. Maybe there was only doing the best you could with the time you had."

Expected publication date: March 9, 2021

With elements of The Final Empire and Gideon the Ninth, a splash of V.E. Schwab, but with its own identity entirely, The Bone Maker held me entranced from unlikely beginning to poetic end. Bone-based mag
Dave
"The Bone Maker" is a new standalone epic fantasy featuring a bevy of witches who use bones and spells on talismans to save the world. Twenty five years after saving the world, the five witches are in sad shape with one sort of dead, one who isolated herself in a tower among constructs made of bones and her late husband's corpse which like Dr. Frankenstein she reanimated with stolen human bones, and others not surviving too well.

Although marketed as an adult fantasy, this one hovers more closel
Mogsy (MMOGC)
4.5 of 5 stars at The BiblioSanctum https://bibliosanctum.com/2021/02/23/...

The Bone Maker is the sort of book you don’t see too often, in that it features an “aftermath” story. That is, the battle of epic proportions has already happened. The good guys prevailed, while the evil villain was vanquished forever. Everyone rejoiced and went home happy.

Or did they? Twenty-five years ago, a renegade bone maker named Eklor used his corrupted magic to raise an army of monsters against the realm. Five he
Jessi  Joachim
Feb 08, 2021 rated it it was amazing

I absolutely loved this book! It is the story of what happens after the heroes save the world.

We follow our heroes 25 years after their heroic act that saved the world and ended a brutal war.

I love following older protagonists, and I especially love how morally grey every character is! We really get to see how far is too far to save someone you love. What are lines that you won't cross, and what lines will you?

I also really loved the fact that I ended up empathiz
Kilikina
Sep 11, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc
Thank you so much to NetGalley and HarperCollins for this ARC in exchange for an honest review.

When I first read the blurb for this book, I was beyond excited to read it. Sarah Beth Durst is a new author for me, so I had no prior knowledge of her previous work, despite having a few of her books on my TBR shelf for years.

The premise of The Bone Maker was very cool, and I can’t compare it to any other book I’ve read. I thought the idea was original and unique, and I really appreciated that. Unfor
Kristina (heartsfullofreads)
Actual rating: 3.5 stars

The Bone Maker is a well written and fast paced adult fantasy novel. This is my third Durst book and as always, she excelled at creating a unique setting. There were gliIttering cities and so many cool monsters and creatures. I loved the magic system! I've seen bone magic before but not quite like this. For those of you who like your magic systems to have rules, I think you will be pleased with it.

The characters were likeable but flawed. We get the most time with Kreya a
Alena Reading
Check out my new Booktube channel!

The marketing for this book is so misleading. Looking at the cover, title, and synopsis, I expected dark adult fantasy. What I got was juvenile comedy which is not bad in and of itself but an opposite of what I wanted and expected from reading this novel.

The first 10% were also misleading because they were actually intriguing and atmospheric. But as soon as we were introduced to the second protagonist Zera (who turned out to be the most annoying, edgy, loud, and
Lata
Apr 17, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A terrific read with a well-thought out necromantic system, and eeewy-but-oddly-not eewy descriptions of this system in practice by all the characters, and wonderful relationships amongst the five members of the gang who saved the world, all of whom were interesting and sympathetic.
I particularly liked how Sarah Beth Durst explored friendship and love, and what people will do for these, in this violent, post-we-saved-the-world-and-who-are-we-now-25-years-later story.
 Leah
❐ Overall Rating 4¼⭐ | Narration 😕 = Should’ve had more narrators
❐ Narrated by Soneela Nankani
❐ Listening Length: 16H 35M
❐ Adult Fantasy
❐ Bone Magic
❐ A little bit dark, a little bit funny

description

While Soneela Nankani is an excellent narrator...this could have gone next level if it had separate narrators for each of the POVs.

This is an adult fantasy, and while it did feel like YA a few times...it did stay more adult-feeling for the most part. Let’s see...I loved the characters and their interactions
Kelly
Dec 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020-arcs
In The Bone Maker, you'll meet a bunch of people that reminded me a little of Kings of the Wyld. An old band getting back together to fight evil? Sign me up! In this book, you'll meet Kreya a middle-aged widow that is looking to resurrect her husband, Jent. He died sacrificing himself during the bone war twenty-five years ago where he and four other people acted as heroes to save Vos against a man who mass-murdered people to get to his goals. Kreya thought she'd killed him. Everyone thought Eklo ...more
Amanda
Mar 27, 2021 rated it it was amazing
You can also read my review here:
Review: 5 Stars

Review: 5 Stars

While part of me was drawn to this book because it looked rather dark, the reason I requested a review copy is because it’s by Sarah Beth Durst. I absolutely loved Race the Sands and when I saw that this book was by Sarah Beth Durst I decided to give it a shot. I didn’t really have any expectations for this book, I just thought that I would give it a shot and see if it was any good. I struggle
Nadine
Jun 01, 2021 rated it liked it
The Bone Maker featured a great concept and interesting magic system, but fell flat in its execution.

The opening chapters of The Bone Maker were incredible. Readers are introduced to the main character, Kreya, as she lives with the sole purpose of resurrecting her husband. These chapters give readers a sense of the world, Kreya as a character, and the magic system. They are practically perfect.

Unfortunately, as the story progressed it failed to keep my attention. I enjoyed the story while I wa
Cesar
May 21, 2021 rated it really liked it
4 stars.

Reading The Bone Maker was a pleasant experience. It's my first book by Sarah Beth Durst and it's a stand-alone fantasy novel, a type I haven't read in a while. The last few weeks I've been in a bit of a slum with fantasy stories, so much so I had a hard time trying to choose one to read, whether I wanted to read a series or a stand-alone. The Bone Maker did help with the slump and it also gave me a great story with a fun cast of characters.

The Bone Maker is the story of what happens aft
Beatrice in Bookland
May 30, 2021 rated it it was ok
"Five warriors—one broken, one gone soft, one pursuing a simple life, one stuck in the past, and one who should be dead. Their story should have been finished. But evil doesn’t stop just because someone once said, the end."

2.5

The concept of the story is interesting - five heroes reuniting to fight the villain they defeated 25 years ago - but unfortunately the rhythm was kinda off for me. Some parts were pretty boring and 70% of the book was narrated by Kreya... who I couldn't stand, I found her
❀ Crystal ✿ -  PEACE ☮ LOVE ♥ BOOKS
ARC provided by NetGalley for an Honest Review
Having read The Deepest Blue by this author and thoroughly enjoying it, I had high hopes for this book. The blurb had me intrigued but unfortunately I never really got into this book. I felt dropped into this unknown world that I really wish was developed more. I’ll be honest my mind has been on holiday mode which perhaps contributed to my lack of connection with the book but really I started lost and it took like a third of the book for things to m
Sheena ☆ Oh, the Sheenanigans!

Five warriors—one broken, one gone soft, one pursuing a simple life, one stuck in the past, and one who should be dead. Their story should have been finished. But evil doesn’t stop just because someone once said, “the end.”
The low-key premise reminded me of Roshani Chokshi's Gilded Wolves—obviously I was intrigued by this fantasy novel because of that alone and overall, this novel wasn't as impressive as I thought it would be.

Generally speaking, it was not terrible.
Jess Schmit
Nov 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The Bone Maker by Sarah Beth Durst was PHENOMENAL. It sucked me in from the first chapter and didn’t let go even once.

This story is a refreshing mix of “heroes save the day” combined with some taboo magic and found families. Sarah did a fantastic twist on a typical hero story, instead telling us a story of what happens after the heroes save the day. It was delightful to read and I stayed up entirely too late in order to finish it.

As a stand-alone, I felt it was remarkably done in that it manag
Bob/Sally
The opening of The Bone Maker is such a poignant scene of Gothic sorrow, one that's verging on Shakespearean levels of madness, I was immediately intrigued. By the end of the fourth chapter, with its painfully awkward reunion between Kreya and Zera, tragically estranged heroes, and embittered friends, I was hooked.

At that point, I was only expecting a sort of quest adventure to recover the forbidden bones and resurrect Jentt - fallen hero, husband, and friend - but what Sarah Beth Durst has so
Kristin Sledge
Feb 11, 2021 rated it liked it
Thank you to the publisher and NetGalley for an eARC in exchange for an honest review.

In this world, bones are power. They are read to tell the future, harnessed to infuse talismans with powers, and used to bring life to constructs. However 25 years ago, after a bone worker used human bones to murder thousands the use of human remains has been outlawed. Few break the rules as it is seen as a slight against nature, leading to neighbors burning neighbors to avoid evil. When the heroes who brought
☕️Kimberly
Mar 29, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio2021
Narrated by Soneela Nankani, I was quickly pulled into the story. We meet Kreya, the warrior and hero of Vos who led her team to victory against the bone maker, Eklor, twenty-five years ago. The battle cost her her husband Jennt, and she has closed herself off in her tower, working bones to resurrect her beloved. To do so, she needs human bones. Using human bones to work magic is illegal in Vos, but when an idea strike to return to the forbidden battle zone, she reaches out to her friend. The ta ...more
Alaina
Feb 06, 2021 rated it really liked it
I have received this ARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

The Bone Maker took me a while to get into. Mostly because that I was doing so many things before I actually found something completely interesting that sucked me in. It didn't take long but once it happened, well, I couldn't put the book down.

In it, you will meet so many amazing characters. I absolutely loved the bantering that happened throughout the book. It just made me smile and fall in love with them all so much easi
Helen
Apr 02, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the sixth book that I’ve read by this author. And she just gets better and better. I read this pretty much in one sitting after just browsing the opening.

The 5 heroes are living, or not, 25 years into their future after saving the land from an evil wizard; some are faring better than others. That said, they’re all interesting and I was hooked from the grave!

The bone magic is unique but written in such an everyday way that you don’t get to revel in how macabre it is. Some bones have been
Shelley
Mar 18, 2021 rated it really liked it
*Source* Publisher
*Genre* Fantasy
*Rating* 3.5-4

*Thoughts*

Sarah Beth Durst's The Bone Maker is a standalone fantasy which explores the notion of second chances and what comes next after a hero's journey. The Bone Maker introduces new characters in a new setting but is written in Sarah’s captivating narrative style and explores the themes that make her novels favorites in the genre. Like the central characters from her previous novels, The Bone Maker centers on a multifaceted, strong female prota
Sarah Beth Durst's The Bone Maker is a standalone fantasy which explores the notion of second chances and what comes next after a hero's journey. Traditionally, we often come across fantasy stories which has a definitive "the end" after the grand climax and the concept of forgiveness remains underrepresented within the genre, so seeing these in the premise piqued my interest.

In this dark and haunting standalone, the concept is definitely the standout. In addition to the five heroes reuniting (w
Lauren
Oct 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
Electronic ARC provided by Edelweiss.

"The Bone Maker" is a sequel to a fantasy series that doesn't exist, picking up twenty five years after five heroes defeated a corrupt sorcerer and his army of reanimated bone warriors. Since the final battle the heroes have drifted apart, until their leader Kreya begins a series of events that will draw them back together and back into a fight they thought was finished.

My favorite thing about Sarah Beth Durst's fantasy writing is the fact that so many of he
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »

• The Mask of Mirrors (Rook & Rose, #1)
  • The Frozen Crown (Warrior Witch, #1)
  • The Helm of Midnight (The Five Penalties, #1)
  • Solutions and Other Problems
  • Magic Mutant Nightmare Girl (Magic Mutants, #1)
  • White Fox
  • Dead Space
  • Hall of Smoke (Hall of Smoke, #1)
  • The Two-Faced Queen (The Legacy of the Mercenary Kings, #2)
  • The Forever Sea (The Forever Sea, #1)
  • All the Murmuring Bones
  • The Conductors
  • A Reaper at the Gates (An Ember in the Ashes, #3)
  • The Trouble with Peace (The Age of Madness, #2)
  • The Wife Upstairs
  • Warrior of the Wild
  • Migrations
  • The Sprite and the Gardener
See top shelves…
Sarah Beth Durst is the award-winning author of over twenty fantasy books for kids, teens, and adults, including Spark, Drink Slay Love, and The Queens of Renthia series. She won an ALA Alex Award and a Mythopoeic Fantasy Award and has been a finalist for SFWA's Andre Norton Award three times. She is a graduate of Princeton University and lives in Stony Brook, New York, with her husband, her child ...more