Start by marking “In My Wake: A Breathtaking Psychological Thriller With a Killer Twist” as Want to Read:
In My Wake: A Breathtaking Psychological Thriller With a Killer Twist

In My Wake: A Breathtaking Psychological Thriller With a Killer Twist

The past was meant to stay buried...

But someone knows the truth...

Decades ago, the disturbing disappearance of an eleven-year-old girl shook the tiny village Hannah grew up in. Now Hannah receives the shock of her life when she is told her sister, April, has committed suicide. Distraught, she returns to her childhood home for the funeral.

But someone who refuses to forget t
Published July 16th 2020

To ask other readers questions about In My Wake, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In My Wake

Start your review of In My Wake: A Breathtaking Psychological Thriller With a Killer Twist
Pat (not getting friend updates currently)
Hannah and her husband, Will, along with their 12 year old daughter, Eva, return to their childhood home of Little Bishopsford for her sister, April’s funeral. Hannah does not have good memories of the place and has never returned since leaving for university. Now she is forced to confront uncomfortable memories of the summer she was 11 years old and April was dating Will. Memories of the time they were all out in Will’s car coming home too late, too fast and probably too drunk. Memories of that ...more
SA Krishnan
Enjoyable suspense
Hannah comes home for her sister – April’s funeral.
Hannah has no good memories of the place and she had left the town because of the rumours following the disappearance of a girl called Paige, many years back. The rumours running through the entire town following Paige’s disappearance had destroyed Hannah’s home and the people there.
Now that she is back, Hannah feels uneasy because she feels that someone in the town is stalking her.
Neither Paige nor April’s body was found and
Jul 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
Hannah returns to her childhood home and the village she grew up in for the funeral of her sister. It doesn’t take long before sinister things start to happen, leaving the reader wondering what secrets are being kept hidden from us.

An event from the past has left an impact on Hannah. As well as on others it would seem. It was sad to see that it affected Hannah and her sister’s relationship to the point that they didn’t see each other. Whilst I had empathy for some of the characters, I can’t say
Shalini
Jul 27, 2020 rated it liked it
Author Ruth Harrow used in-depth psychology on her characters to show their transition through life. It was both intriguing and thought-provoking, how a secret kept hidden throughout life suddenly exploded out of the blue… Maybe with a few reminders.

Hannah, her husband Will, and daughter came home for her sister April’s funeral. And memories hit her hard about one day in her life as a child when an incident occurred and Paige Wakefield disappeared.

My first book by this author, I loved the claust
Anne G. Kasaba
Jun 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
Well written story with characters that are sure to inspire strong feelings in readers. Suspenseful with numerous twists and turns the book moves between the past and present effortlessly.

When Hannah returns to her childhood home with her family for her sister April’s funeral, it is the first time she has returned since leaving for university. While she knew it would be difficult she did not realize that everyone is guarding secrets and that she can trust no one in her family.

I received an arc o
Tonya
Jun 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: booksirens
It took a while for me to get into the story. Once I was engaged, I couldn’t put it down. This book kept me up very late reading. The ending had many twists and some I didn’t see coming. This book proves that secrets can be deadly. Very suspenseful! Thank you BookSirens for my ARC.
ReadandRated
4 Stars from me

When the shock of her sister's suicide brings Hannah back to the close knit village of her youth, it should be a simple case of attending the funeral and catching up with her father - but things soon take an unpleasant turn.

There was no body - much in when a little girl went missing many years before.

Hannah soon begins to wonder if there is anyone in the tiny claustrophobic village that she can trust at all...

I found this one to be quite uncomfortable reading, I don't know how Han
Michelle
Jul 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: booksirens
Having to return home for her sister’s funeral, Hannah does not expect the past to come back and haunt her. Unfortunately that is exactly what it does and in ways she could not expect. On top of dealing with her sister’s suicide, she isn’t prepared to deal with her involvement in the disappearance of a girl when she was a teenager.

Did her sister really commit suicide? That is one of the questions that has to be answered in order to clear up the past. But does Hannah really want to bring up the p
marnie | once upon a time book reviews
Ruth kicks things off with a prologue that draws you in and immediately captures your attention. Whilst it is a short in its page count, the emotions that it evoked within me was instantaneous and took my breath away. The desperation I felt from the character, really pulled at my heart strings and also had it racing with its inevitable outcome. It really does set the tone for the rest of the story.

In My Wake embarks on an emotional journey for main protagonist Hannah when she returns to the home
Laura Nelson (Tangents and Tissues)
Have you ever read a book where you wondered if you were going to need muscle relaxants afterwards? Yes?! No?! Huh... I feel like I need help to retract my shoulders from the ear region.

I was literally taut with tension towards the end. Now, I need to be honest. I kinda guessed what was going on about a third of the way through. Even so, I needed to know how it all came together. In other words, Laura’s questions had questions. (Bad sign talking about yourself in third person! *shrugs*)

Trying to
Amanda
Jul 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I love discovering new authors and Ruth Harrow is certainly a new author for me. Judging by how much I enjoyed 'In My Wake', I cannot believe that I haven't discovered her books before now. I really enjoyed reading 'In My Wake' but more about that in a bit.
This story started in such a way that it will stick in my mind for a long while to come. Talk about an attention grabber. From then on, I became intrigued by the case because I had a sneaky suspicion that all was not what it at first appeared.
Eileen Richards
Jul 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing

No need to wonder if you’ll like this one...if you like psychological thrillers, there’s NO DOUBT.

I love books with a lot of family secrets and this one has secrets hidden all over town. You don’t always see them coming but when they do, they hit you like a ton of bricks. Is there one person involved? Or does the network of secrets and lies, both past and present, include more than one family and one set of secrets? The turmoil comes from within and out as Hannah struggles to uncover the truth.

I
Chrissy
Jul 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
I must admit that at the start I did not think I was going to finish this book. Hannah receives some awful news that her sister April has committed suicide 😥. She then has to go back to the village she grew up in for the funeral. It is the start of all sorts of strange happenings and events of the past start to raise its head. After the funeral and while at her family home with her father strange things begin to happen and a story of an event decades earlier raises it head and brings with it an ...more
Patty
Jul 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
Thanks to Booksirens for an ARC digital copy for my honest review.

From the very beginning of the book, you get sucked in trying to figure out why Hannah's sister would kill herself. She finds herself having to go back to her village for the funeral. Where right away you knew there was a secret, and you couldn't stop reading until you figure out what it could possibly be. It takes you through twist, and turns trying to figure out what really happened, and I definitely lost some sleep, because I k
Nicki
Jul 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Annoying that's just one of the words that I would use to describe Hannah, the main character and narrator of this tightly plotted thriller, very very annoying. I didn't think that she had one redeemable quality and found her very unlikable, I didn't like her husband Will very much either. In the chapters that were set in the past he appeared to have a creepy side to his character during some of his interactions with young Hannah or maybe that was just how her young mind interpreted his behaviou ...more
teresa pogue
Jul 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I received an arc of this book in exchange for an honest review. I was hooked from the first page. I love when the title of the book suddenly makes sense and you get the ah-ha moment. And it makes sense in more than one meaning! The characters are all easy to remember and visualize which is great for me. I like to see it in my brain is I read the book. The book did end a little different than I expected. I guess all the anticipation built and I was expecting a different outcome. But it was a goo ...more
Gerrie
Jun 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
In My Wake by Ruth Harrow is an engaging psychological thriller! Hannah, the protagonist, has returned to her childhood town and is trying to unearth the reason her sister April killed herself. There is plenty of family drama as well as flashbacks that add depth to the story and the complicated reasons for April’s suicide, as well as other dark doings in the town. The cast of characters is varied and interesting, from Hannah’s family to the gossipy local housecleaner. Once I got into the story, ...more
Dr. Raye of Sunshine
Jun 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020-reads
In My Wake introduces us to Hannah who has to return home to her hometown for the funeral of her sister, April. It is clear from the beginning that Hannah is not happy to be back in Little Bishopford. As the story unfolds, we begin to realize that things are not all that they seem.

Hannah is incredibly overprotective of her daughter, Eva, to the point that there are times it feels like she is smothering her rather than mothering her. As the story unfolds, however, you begin to realize why she is
Billie
Jun 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This was a fantastic thriller.
Well fleshed out characters that I found believable.
The plot and story line were well executed and flowed easily.
I was gripped from the start and couldn't stop til finished.
Highly recommended.

I voluntarily reviewed a complimentary copy.
Annemarie
Jun 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
In My Wake shows us the repercussions of keeping a secret of great magnitude.

Had Will, April and Hannah acted differently on that evening, or even the weeks following the incident, the girls at least could have spared themselves all of those years of nightmares and anguish.

It took coming back to her home village after the suicide of her sister and the words of a stranger before Hannah was able to learn, and accept, the missing pieces of the puzzle.

In My Wake is a very thought out novel with well
Misfits farm
Jun 09, 2020 rated it really liked it

Hannah is married to Will and they have a young daughter. She is back in her home village for the funeral of her sister April who committed suicide. A body was never found but she was seen by the river and her body was found nearby. At the funeral someone has pasted over the eulogy insinuating that April had something to do with a young girl who was killed years before. Again a body was neer found- the father was arrested however most people in the village never believed the father would hurt hi
Kathleen Sanchez
Jun 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
A great thriller! I was really impressed with In My Wake. I received it as an ARC in exchange for my honest review from BookSirens and was really happy with the result.

Hannah revisits her hometown after the death of her sister. While home, she begins receiving notes and texts from presumably her sister. The book takes you back and forth, from present day to when Hannah was 12 years old, and tells a tale of a girl who had to grow up too fast and keep too many secrets.

I often find thrillers that g
Christine
Jun 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
Many psychological twists and turns which make the reader hold his/her breath all through the book! Even if you guess who the killer is, you can't be sure until the last page!!
Thank you Ruth and BookSirens for letting me read this book for free.
Cath
Jul 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
Secrets from the past come back to muddy the waters upon the death of her sister April. Hannah, her husband Will and their twelve year old daughter Eva, return to their childhood home, for April’s funeral. Nobody knew that she was having problems, not her remaining family nor her workmates, causing her to jump off a bridge. Hannah feels guilty that she has barely spoken to her older sister since she left the tiny village they grew up in, as soon as she could and she has never been back for any l ...more
Erin
Jul 16, 2020 rated it it was ok
While there was some suspense in this book, I felt a lot of it was predictable, and I often just couldn't figure out why the characters would actually do what they did. I give this book a 2, maybe a 2.5.

Hannah returns to her hometown for the funeral of her older sister April, who dies by suicide in the first chapter of the book. Hannah is accompanied by her husband, Will, who is also April's ex-boyfriend, and their daughter, Eva. While at the funeral, someone changed the obituary in the program
Claire
Why have I not heard of Ruth Harrow before?? Why why why??? Psychological thrillers are my chosen genre and yet I don’t understand why I’ve never read any of Harrow’s books before…. yes that’s right I really enjoyed this tense thriller!

As Hannah returns to her childhood home for her sister’s funeral, she starts to get unnerving messages from someone professing to be her sister. But she’s dead isn’t she? Well, presumed; no body was actually found… a little bit like poor Paige Wakefield. Are both
Justkeepreading85
Jul 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
In My Wake Review

I had never heard of this book before but I thought I would give it a try. I received a copy from book sirens in exchange for an honest review. I really felt this book moved at a really nice pace, and the chapters were nice and small. Although the story was a tad predictable I still really enjoyed it. It had good suspense and although I thought I might know who the villain was it did turn out a bit different than I expected.

SYNOPSIS

SOME SECRETS ARE BEST KEPT BURIED… BUT SOMEO
Donna Maguire

I thought that this was a fantastic story – it had me well and truly hooked!!

This book is well developed, it is well written and it has some fabulous characters, they are so well developed – I loved following them through the story and liked the hidden depths and secrets that came out as I moved through the book.

The characters are really well developed and the interaction is great. I loved the setting too, it was perfect for the story, I liked that Hannah
Jessica Belmont
Jul 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
In My Wake is a slow burn, seep into your skin, kind of psychological thriller. Some readers will love that, some wont. I, for one, love this kind of novel. It is almost a desperate feeling that seeps into me when I read a psychological thriller that doesn’t throw everything at me, quickly. I am glued to the pages because I know something is going to happen, but I’m not sure when. I find that compelling.

Ruth Harrow is new to me, but I really enjoy her writing style. As the mystery of this novel
Heidi Lynn’s BookReviews
Jul 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
First, I want to thank Ruth Harrow and BOTBSPUBLICITY for providing me with this book so I can bring you this review.

Ruth Harrow’s In My Wake’s was a very heartbreaking, emotional, suspenseful, book with a few secrets thrown in.

The prologue was very intense and hooked you right into the story.

Oh that first chapter just broke my heart in two! I put myself in her shoes as I was reading it and could not imagine if that was my sister. Ruth did an amazing job with Hannah dealing with the loss of he

• Run Away With Me
  • Trust A Stranger
  • Isolation
  • The Webs We Weave
  • The Tutor
  • Left Hanging: What price would you pay to save your marriage?
  • The Visitors
  • The House Mate
Ruth Harrow was born and raised in London and graduated from the University of Kent before embarking on an unfulfilling career as an accountant.
She eventually put pen to paper and her debut psychological thriller, In Her Footsteps, was published in 2018 and quickly became a bestseller. Following the success of her first novel, her second book, You're All Mine, was released in 2019. Her third psych

News & Interviews