Start by marking “The Awakening (Darkest Powers, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Awakening (Darkest Powers, #2)

The Awakening

(Darkest Powers #2)

4.16  ·  Rating details ·  101,931 ratings  ·  3,221 reviews
If you had met me a few weeks ago, you probably would have described me as an average teenage girl - someone normal. Now my life has changed forever and I’m as far away from normal as it gets. A living science experiment - not only can I see ghosts, but I was genetically altered by a sinister organization called Edison Group. What does that mean? For starters. I'm a teenag ...more
Hardcover, First Edition, 360 pages
Published April 28th 2009 by HarperCollins

To ask other readers questions about The Awakening, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Awakening

DarienMoya
^^I AM IN LOVE WITH A TEENAGE WOLF!^^

The second book in the Darkest Powers series is just as engaging as the first, more creepy action and a more Derek. I am in love with this boy, I wanna go in the book and drop kick Chloe, so she can see what she is missing. I will say they have a lot of scenes alone together and they make me very happy.

For all y’all who don’t know Chloe is a new discovered necromancer ( able to awaken the dead), first she thought she was schizo but it was discovered that the
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
I don't know how I feel about this one. I mean the kids are out there trying to get way from the evil people that are trying to hurt them. And we find out some reasons as to why they are the kind of supernaturals that they are but I was just sort of meh.

I will say that I loved to get more time with Chloe and Derek. I really love Derek's character! And we learn more about the families of the kids. There is also more action with the supernatural abilities of some of the adults and kids but I stil
Tatiana
Aug 14, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2009, ya, urban-fantasy
As seen on The Readventurer

The second book in "Darkest Powers" trilogy starts where the first one left off - Chloe is at the research institute and contemplating escape. What follows is pretty much Chloe's and her friends' journey to get to the person who might be able to help them find Derek's and Simon's father (which is I suppose is what this trilogy is about, but I am not sure at this point).

The first book in the trilogy was undoubtedly drawn out and artificially extended, but this second bo
Elise ✘ a.k.a Ryder's Pet ✘
⋰⋱⋰⋱⋰⋱*At least it's better than the first*⋰⋱⋰⋱⋰⋱
BEWARE FOR SPOILERS FOR THE SERIES! This whole review can - probably - contain spoilers for the entire series. This review is mostly for me to remember the details.

Re-read: 04.05.2018 . I decided to continue with the re-read with this series. I'm not overly fond with it, never have been, but the story (plot) has some real potential. I just wished the characters where older. 15 and 16 is so young, and blushing because someone holds your hand..
Heather
Jul 10, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2009
The Awakening is even more enticing and action packed than its prequel. While the setting shifts, it is no less menacing as Chloe and the gang face a grim and tretcherous life on the streets. Tension is heightened by the added appeal of a perfectly sinister and powerful enemy and the suspense of unknown supernatural powers. Armstrong's teen characters are smart and resourceful, and each obstacle thrown their way requires them to use every bit of caution, wits, and intelligence they possess. Arms ...more
Arlene
Alas, this is where Chloe Saunders and I must part ways. As with the first book, I just couldn't stop myself from wanting to call it quits after about half of the book. There's just something about the storyline and this little necromancer that doesn't seem to captivate me despite how much I love a great paranorm.

Now, I'm actually apologizing upfront for my rant that is about to unfold, but it's only because my fellow group of trusted readers loved this book and I couldn't… I just couldn't… I t
Lauren
Jan 25, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own
I remember finishing the The Summoning, the prequel to The Awakening, last summer and thinking, " I doubt Kelley will be able to top this." Though, apparently she can, as she has proven it with The Awakening.

In The Awakening more action and intense drama occurs. As well as major character development. Since, Tori, Chloe, Derek, and Simon's powers began to involve steadily in the book. Also, there was more information told and found out about the Edison Group and werewolves which was fascinating
Amren's Wife Taylor
Dec 31, 2014 rated it really liked it
Probably not quite 4 stars but ...this is just one of those series where I want to read all three novels before I really give a solid opinion, but so far I like where it seems to be headed. The pacing could be better (meaning I wouldn't complain if things moved along somewhat) and the relationships could be clearer but overall it's a pleasant experience and I'm eager to read the final book.
Katie
Feb 11, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own, arc
Chloe Saunders is back in the second book of the Darkest Powers series. If you haven't read The Summoning yet read it before reading this review. SPOILERS.

At the end of the first book Chloe and Rae go to Chloe's Aunt Lauren for help, not knowing that she is working for the very group that they are trying to escape from. As a result, Chloe and Rae end up locked in a high security warehouse that houses the Edison Groups many experiments. Luckily, Derek and Simon are still on the run and on the loo
Alaina
That was kind of underwhelming..

The Awakening definitely left me wanting more. I just feel like it was missing so much which is a shock to me because these book are huge.

Chloe was so annoying in this book. I wanted to stab my eyes so I didn't have to see her trying to flirt with everyone and anyone that walked. I honestly gave zero fucks about her until she found out she was apart of a experimental group thing. Honestly, I only cared a little bit - I mostly just wanted the book to be over.. or s
Elizabeth
I'm just confused as to why these books are so long! If I thought this would be an improvement on the first, it's not. This time there's no plot or climax whatsoever. It's about four supernatural teenagers on the run from an experimental group that was holding them hostage in the first book. Most of the second book is filler - the kids bickering, traveling to the next city by bus, losing each other and finding each other again, and subtle flirtation between Chloe (the most boring person that eve ...more
Leah:)
Mar 01, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Delivered in her trademark style, Kelley creates a world within our own where supernatural teens are nothing but science projects to be shown and used then tossed away--sometimes even killed.

Chloe's character becomes even clearer in this novel then the one preceding it, and boy is being in her head interesting. She is struggling to understand how strong she is, and is no where near the point where she can control her powers. Despite her interest in her powers, Chloe would much rather be normal a
oliviasbooks
This is so good ... and now I am waiting again!

The second part in the "Darkest Powers Trilogy" is basically a road movie. A diverse bunch of naturally supernatural - and genetically altered - kids are running for their lives, because the adults whose guinea-pigs they are, decided to end the experiment and terminate the subjects.

The book starts in the middle of the attempted flight and ends with the - temporary - end of it. But, wow what a roller coaster! Although there is danger after danger, g
K.
27/4/2017
Trigger warning: kidnapping and murder (Chloe sees a death echo of a teenage girl)

Is this trilogy now slightly dated as far as YA is concerned? Yes. Does this book end on a monumentally annoying cliffhanger? Yuh huh. Do I still really enjoy the characters and the world and getting to see Chloe struggle through using her powers? Definitely.

I like the changing dynamic between Chloe and Derek (although I do wish he'd stop grabbing her arm EVERY SECOND DAMN PAGE), I like how they help each
Mary-ellen
Jun 30, 2018 rated it liked it
Again, an okay read, and I certainly sped through the pages, but I wanted so much more from these characters - they lacked complexity. It all seems a little too nice and easy, considering the life and death consequences. A bit more Nurse Ratched-like behaviour from the staff holding them captive would have improved this enormously.

I didn’t enjoy the similarities to the first book in terms of the plot. I felt like there were key plot elements being recycled.

Carmel (Rabid Reads)
Sep 18, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio, audio-2014
Reviewed by: Rabid Reads.

Book 1 focused more on world-building while as this one was all about the action; the kids are still on the run from the Edison Group, Souza had his first encounter with werewolves and it did NOT go well, and living on the streets comes with its own set of challenges as well. I’ve enjoyed watching Chloe and Derek’s relationship progress throughout this trilogy, they get lots of alone time in this installment, and their dialogue is definitely one of the highlights of this
Margaret Stohl
Jul 03, 2009 rated it it was amazing

Better, even, than the Summoning. Kelley Armstrong has successfully escaped the curse of the sequel. Characters, powers, relationships all deepened. I can't wait for the story to go on...!
Cesar
Mar 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
4 stars

After reading The Awakening, I'm reminded of how much I loved this series when I read it a few years ago!

This is such a nostalgic trip for me. You never forget the books that made you love reading. This may not have been my first series I had started, but it's one of the most enjoyable ones! :)

I won't go much into detail about the plot, but I will share my thoughts and opinions on it. Spoiler free.

Thoughts: I really liked this one! I know the second book in a trilogy may be a hit or miss
Maddie Senator
Nov 19, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I haven't reviewed this yet? It's definitely time, now that the series is over!
I loved this book even more than the first. It's such a delicious read! The teens you've come to know and really like are on the run from the Edison Group, and they have to get to know each other and trust each other over the course of their escape.
I think my favorite bit of the book was the whole part with Derek and Chloe alone. I don't know if I want them to end up together or not, but I really enjoyed the adventu
Shera (Book Whispers)
After reading the first book in this series, The Summoning, and now the second installment, I can confidently say I much prefer Armstrong's young adult series. I've read the first three books of her Women of the Otherworld series and thought they were quite enjoyable. Yet they lacked something for me, and towards the end of each books I found myself getting bored.

I wasn't sure if I would like the main character, Chloe. At time’s it felt like Claire had just rolled off the assembly line of damse
Julia (ten_thousand_books)
"Here we were, expecting to find you minutes from death. Look at you, not even gasping."
"All right, then. Emergency medical situation, take two." He leaped to his feet, staggered, keeled over, then lifted his head weakly.
"Chloe? Is that you?" He coughed. "Do you have my insulin?" I placed it in his outstretched hand.
"You saved my life," he said. "How can I ever repay you?"
"Undying servitude sounds good. I like my eggs scrambled."

The junior in this book just keep ms getting better and better.
Shaylee*cheeky*
Liam and Ramon add a new twist to this story. I loved reading about Chloe's powers and the adventures she has with Derek.
mith
These books give me so many feelings.
Derek and Chloe give me so many feelings.
Cheyenne
Mar 29, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Also see the review on my blog.

I liked the sequel just as much as I liked the first. The action, humor, and horror were consistent. The characters were really complete, with the exception of Simon, who seems most of the time to be simply the nice guy who likes Chloe. Tori’s sarcastic remarks were a much needed comic relief, and I found myself getting attached to her character.

Derek seemed to really evolve, too. He went from being the large hulking angry guy to the one who uses his anger to cove
Holly
Oct 29, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Maggie ☘ (Reader-in-Wonderland)
Fast-paced and quite entertaining sequel to The Darkest Powers trilogy about Chloe and her friends - Derek, Simon and Tori on the run from the Edison Group.
The beginning was little bit slow, but then it kicked off and started to be even more enjoyable than the first book. It was also interesting to watch the friendship development between Chloe and Derek.
I'm glad that I have the last book already purchased, because I can't wait to know how it all ends.
Darce
The second wonderful, paranormal, romantic book in the series!

Chloe's on the run and fighting to stay free and alive... along with Derek, Tori and Simon. And they aren't the best group when I comes to working together. Romance is drifting in the wind with the Edison group, and both things are doing their best to ruin the three people trying to stay alive. Loved it!
Vendea
Ano! Ano! Takhle má vypadat správná paranormální série! Akce, akce, akce! Tuhle sérii vážně miluju. A miluju Dereka. Víc Dereka. Víc mrtvol, prosím!
Pang
THERE IS NOTHING I WANT TO CHANGE ABOUT..
Derek and Chloe’s relationship...

I found many kinds of romance in books, but the one kind of romance which I really like and want to often find in books is ‘ believable romance ’

Romance which I can touch and feel that it is real.

‘ I need you’. I didn’t say that, of course. How could I, without it sounding weird? But I felt it, heart hammering against my ribs, and it wasn’t some romantic I can’t bear to be without you nonsense. It was something deeper, mor
Mizuki
Mar 19, 2013 rated it liked it
It's a nothing really happens in this underwhelming, anti-climactic book 3 stars.

The writing is still solid and I enjoy the first half of the book, I also take small comfort that no one has been engaging in silly romance while running for their lives. But Ms. Armstrong seems to forget her story and all of the suspense and build-ups need to reach an actual climax before the book comes to an end in order to satisfy her readers.

When reading this second book of The Darkest Power trilogy, I felt like
  • If I Die (Soul Screamers, #5)
  • Jealousy (Strange Angels, #3)
  • Shadow of the Moon (Dark Guardian, #4)
  • Darklight (Wondrous Strange, #2)
  • Shift (Shade, #2)
  • Night World, No. 1 (Night World, #1-3)
  • Stargazer (Evernight, #2)
  • The Devouring (The Devouring, #1)
  • Fatal Charm (The Seer, #5)
  • Entice (Need, #3)
  • Desires of the Dead (The Body Finder, #2)
  • Feast of Fools (The Morganville Vampires, #4)
  • Fade (Wake, #2)

Darkest Powers (3 books)
  • The Summoning (Darkest Powers, #1)
  • The Reckoning (Darkest Powers, #3)
“Derek caught my arm again as I started to move--at this rate, it was going to be as sore as my injured one.
"Dog," he said, jerking his chin toward the fenced yard. "It was inside earlier."
Expecting to see a Doberman slavering at the fence, I followed his gaze to a little puff of white fur, the kind of dog women stick in their purses. It wasn't even barking, just staring at us, dancing in place.
"Oh, my God! It's a killer Pomeranian." I glanced up at Derek. "It's a tough call, but I think you can take him.”
872 likes
“If there's anything I can do- I know there probably isn't, but..."

Just be here”