Start by marking “Family of Blue (The Weight of the Badge #1)” as Want to Read:
Family of Blue (The Weight of the Badge #1)

Family of Blue (The Weight of the Badge #1)

Life changes in a matter of seconds. For Kellie Bryant it came in the form of her niece Rory.

Kellie knew raising a three-year-old came with big responsibilities, but she never thought she’d lose herself in parenthood.

The only fairy tales she sees in her future now lie between the pages of the picture books she reads to Rory at night.

However, Deputy Lance Malloy, the of
Kindle Edition
Published August 5th 2020 by Amazon Digital Services

To ask other readers questions about Family of Blue, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Family of Blue

Start your review of Family of Blue (The Weight of the Badge #1)
Zane Michaelson
Jul 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
What can I say about Family of Blue?
While I was expecting a full-on romance centred around members of the police force, I found myself pleasantly surprised to discover the story ran deeper than your average romance fodder.
Realism and the touchy subject matter covered (No spoilers) helped root me in the story and I found myself invested in this part of the characters lives.
An anxious and heartbroken Kellie meets Deputy Lance while he is on duty, and while nothing can come from their initial meet
Jenna Michaelson
Jul 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I was lucky to receive an early copy-Thank you.
I found the book to be well written and an improvement on her previous work.
Having read Kaylee's debut and enjoyed it, I had no expectations of this apart from the title leading me to believe this was a Hot Cop/Sexy Girl meet and hump kind of story.
Wrong!
Yes, there is a Hot Cop (Lance) and a Sexy Girl (Kellie), but there is an actual story here, and a good one-Lance meets Kellie while on a call out. There is an instant attraction but circumstance m
Marcus Brown
Jul 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I am not a romance reader at all but was asked to read an ARC. Usually, I would decline, but I have heard of Ms Rose through the grapevine and read her debut so agreed to read and what a surprise it was-I thoroughly enjoyed the book and found her writing had improved drastically.
Kaylee has created a world that is strikingly real, with down to Earth characters who go to hell and back. Her ability to root this story in reality adds credibility and the book is better off for it.
I find it hard to re
Stephanie
Sep 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I waited and waited patiently for this book to come out. Then, Amazon lost my order! How many days later I finally got my paperback! So so so worth the wait! My ex is volunteer firefighter and our social circle is filled with EMS, police and firefighters. Family of Blue, a community all its own of people who got your back. This supportive and loving community is held by strong bond. I am reminded of a quote, "You jump. I jump". My heart kept pounding throughout the book. This is a page turner! L ...more
Deb Moncrief
Aug 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Family of Blue is the first book in The Weight of the Badge Series by Kaylee Rose. The story is not your typical steamy HEA romance. It is so much deeper than that. The book shows us that life can get downright messy and heartbreaking. Kaylee Rose tells a story of how grief and guilt can be suffocating. I really liked Lance and Kellie. I understood the deep emotions they go through with what they endure in the story. There were moments I had to put the book down to take a break from reading it. ...more
Michelle
Jul 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Such a heartbreaking and moving story that was so realistically told. Kaylee has out done herself here, touching on a subject that a lot of us have encountered at some stage in our lives. I absolutely loved Kellie and Lance and Baby Rory just stole my heart...without giving anything away, I'm praying Kellie and Lance get to have the life that they both deserve and crave. ...more
April Navarro
Nov 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
If you are looking for an insta love story with a fairytale happily ever after, then this book isn't for you.

It is a touching and emotional read that pulls more on to the heart strings then it does on the g-strings.

When Kellie Bryant didn't hear from her sister in a few days, she goes to her apartment to check on her when tragedy strikes. In the blink of an eye, Kellie's life was turned upside down and changed forever. In a single instant, she lost her sister to drug addiction and became the
Linda Lee
Jul 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
“There’s no better feeling than falling in love and knowing you have someone waiting on you when you get home after a shitty day at work. If she is the one, hold on tight and don’t let her go.”

A quick’n’easy book to read, that delves into the camaraderie and downside of being a law enforcer or a member of their family. The storyline takes us on a journey of honour, friendship and life changing moments. In life most of us are flawless as are these characters, life is messy, personalities are unpr
Joy Boutwell
Jul 29, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own-a-copy, favorites
This is a very realistic and touching story about the struggles of being a LEO.
Lance and Kellie are awesome characters and their stories are emotional.

Lance followed after his dad and became a LEO. He found out the hard way girlfriends can't handle the life of being with an officer.

Kellie found out life can change in the blink of an eye and is now raising her 3 year old niece.

Lance meets Kellie on a 911 call and both of them feel a connection but go about life until 6 months later fate brings t
Kaylee Rose
Jul 16, 2020 is currently reading it  ·  (Review from the author)
❥💙 Family of Blue 💙❥
The Weight of the Badge Book 1
By Kaylee Rose
Kellie is barely two steps away from us when Jackson whispers his concerns. “Lance, are you sure about this? You barely know this girl.”

“Yes…No…I don’t know.” I scrub my hand over my face.

“For some reason, this is where my heart says I need to be. Today has been the worst day of my life and all I want is to feel some sense of normality and I think Kellie is the one that can help me with that.”

“Lance, nothing is going to make what h
TopsieJ
Jul 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Loved it!!!

A very moving story which I absolutely loved, although surprisingly not what I was expecting.
Although based around being in law enforcement and the commaradary felt from being in that family of blue, it is a storyline that can potentially be relatable to anyone, in any walk of life.
There are so many beautiful emotions smoothly flowing throughout the words. With loveable characters that are so realistic that I felt like I was actually living through everything with them, with some sce
Night Owl Book Blog
Jul 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Such a wonderfully moving book. Kaylee Rose has given such a powerful insight into the lives of law enforcement officers and those who love them. Kellie and Lance are both suffering their own losses. They met under terrible circumstances and something, fate perhaps brings them together again. I was moved to tears in parts and also laughter. I am really looking forward to reading book two. Highly recommended.
Lara Luck
Aug 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Excellent

This book was brilliantly written. The chemistry between Kellie and Lance is palpable. The characters feel so real that you become part of the story. This book has lots of feels and a few tears will be shed. I cannot wait for the next in the series.
Sharilyn Russell
Jul 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Nice read

I really enjoyed this story, the love is there but at the wrong time. These two are so good fir each other.
The Reviewer
Jul 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Cover; Nothing spectacular here. It tells the reader what the book is about. Seen it a thousand times before. NEXT!

Writing; Basic, but an improvement on her lacklustre debut. I can see how hard the author is trying but on most levels, she fails. Lost in translation is an issue.

Note; if I take the work for what it is, amateurish, I confess my enjoyment of the story and read in one sitting.

Storyline; Woman meets police officer while he is on duty. She cannot forget him, he cannot forget her. They
R.J. House
Jan 05, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romance, kaylee-rose
Gut punched

This was my first read from Kaylee Rose; I dove in blind, as I like to do with new authors.
As the wife of a LEO, and as a retired LEO myself, so much of this story rings with aching authenticity of a punch in the gut.
When a drug overdose claims her sister, Kellie Bryant finds herself in the role of single mom to her 3-year-old niece. Deputy Lance Malloy is the officer on the scene, despite the terrible situation both feel an attraction, that they can not act upon. Months later they
Maria
Jul 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
What a beautiful start!

Get ready to embrace this beautiful rollercoaster and true friendship between Lance and Kellie. It has been many years since I was a LEO. The feelings, emotions haven't experience but still.deep seeded in my heart has come full front. The tears, sorry cry, Kleenex is a requirement but at the same time the smile and laughter is just so compelling. Thank you sister of blue. Once a LEO, always a LEO at heart. First responders to through a lot and this here...it brought back m
Kirsty Adams - Kindle Freak Book Blog
Family of Blue made me gasp out loud and turned in a direction I wasn’t expecting. It’s the beginning of what feels is going to be an epic love story. It really packed a punch with deep, moving feels, that left me stunned and thoroughly gripped throughout. The connections I felt to both main characters, Kellie and Lance was strong. They are both such likeable and relatable characters, whose feelings felt so real and ensnared my thoughts fully.

I’m totally hooked and now eagerly await the next bo
Vanessa
Kaylee Rose has written a story that pulls you in and keeps you riveted.

The author shows the strong relationship of a police family but she also shows the struggles.

I loved how Lance and Kellie met and how their relationship started growing.

This is a cliffhanger and I can’t wait for The Weight of the Badge!
Marguerite Robinson
Aug 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Phenomenal

Phenomenal isn't enough to describe this book. What an amazing story it touched my heart and soul deeply. I thought I ugly cried in other books but my God I truly did with Family of Blue. I had to stop reading at times. I'm at a loss for words. All I can say is Thank you, Thank you Kaylee Rose for your exceptional writing. Looking forward too book 2
Kerry Richardson
Aug 02, 2020 rated it did not like it
I am left feeling very disappointed with this book. I didn't feel the connection between the characters that strongly and I felt that there was quite a lot of pointless dialogue. This was also not a complete book, it's left on a "cliffhanger" so there is at least one more book to come. I like to know in advance if a book isn't complete because I prefer to wait and read the whole series at once. I have wasted my time reading this story, as I'm not in love with what a happened so far, to be left h ...more
Martha Lindblom
Jul 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is a hard review to write in between my tears. This book will tear at your heart and you will need a box of kleenex. Kaylee did an excellent job in writing this book. She makes you feel connected to and can relate to Lance, Kellie, Jackson and even Paul. You know some of this stuff happen, but have no idea how people handle it. The book does end as a cliffhanger but it needed to. Can’t wait to read the next book in this series. Enjoy this wonderful, fantastic emotional book.
Margaret Miller
Feb 10, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Highly recommend

It grabs you right from the start, and never lets go!
Make sure you have tissues handy, becase this author
Knows how to make you feel the character's pains and joys.
Only problem is now I have to wait for the 2nd book!!!
Shelly Reynolds
"My head says this is for the best for everyone. My heart says I just threw away my only chance at true love."

Oh, I loved this story so hard!!

Even meeting under the most unfortunate and tragic of circumstances, Deputy Lance Malloy and Kellie Bryant were drawn to each other. It was the timing that was off, and the fact that in one moment, Kellie became the single parent to her 2 year old niece. Rory needed to be her focus now.

Flash forward a few months, and another chance meeting brings these two
Gerri Johnson
Feb 06, 2021 rated it really liked it
An unusual story. First you have you have Kellie who discovers her sister overdosed and her niece crying her crib. Next you have Lance who meets Kellie at the site of the overdose. They finally meet and start to fall in love but another crisis comes along to stop this romance. Good story with lots of ups and downs!
Amanda
Mar 23, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Emotional and Heartbreaking on several levels throughout this story. I am new to Kaylee Rose but I can honestly say I loved Family of Blue I am anxiously awaiting Forever Blue and I am hoping and keeping my fingers crossed that they both find their way to healing and that Lance and Kellie finally get their HEA
Jen ODonnell
Mar 23, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Loved this. Kellie and Lance are amazing. The story and characters are wonderfully written. This touched me in so many ways. You will need tissue and your heart will be full of emotions. Kaylee Rose writes with such heart, bringing us an mesmerizing and heartfelt story that will remain with you for years to come. A must must magnificent and touching read.
Ginny
Mar 13, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Amazing

This was a beautifully gut wrenching story. The emotions of the characters were so incredibly raw. You cannot help but cry at lances pain
Lyndsey
Mar 11, 2021 rated it liked it
Spoiler alert, it’s a cliffhanger and it’s insanely depressing. And not a good enough book for me to keep an eye out for the next part.
Denise
Oct 29, 2020 rated it liked it
I really enjoyed the law enforcement aspect of this book. It was so realistic and pulled at my heartstrings. I loved Lance & Kellie individually, but felt that their relationship went from 0 to 1,000 in a blink of an eye. It was hard for me to relate to that aspect of the book.

It was a great debut novel, and I look forward to reading the conclusion of Lance & Kellie's story.

• LOVE LOCKS: The Stranger: True Love Is Written in the Stars
  • Alone: Ride or Die
  • You Turned My World Around - Coming Out of the Dark: One
  • Shattered Beliefs
  • Bridget Jones's Diary (Bridget Jones, #1)
  • I Just Can't Help Believin'...: Conspiracy Theory Book One - Elvis Presley
  • Oxygen (Club Oxygen, #1)
  • Hearts Entwined (An Angel of Mine Story Book 3)
  • Kincaid (Cerberus MC, #1)
  • Earth Angel (An Angel of Mine Story Book 4)
  • Just the Two of Us - A Short Story: The Midnight Series - Book Nine
  • After Dark (After Dark, #1)
  • A Trip Down Memory Lane - A Short Story: The Midnight Series - Book Seven
  • A Death in the Family - A Short Story (The Midnight Series Book 12)
  • After Dark (After Dark, #3)
  • Will You Be My Wife? - A Short Story: The Midnight Series - Book Eight
  • Unholy: The Beginning
  • Unholy Union
Kaylee Rose is a mother, sports lover, and contemporary romance author looking to stretch her creative muscles and explore other genres as well.

Born and raised in California, Kaylee is the mother of four sons, and her furry baby, the border collie lab mix, Bella.

Inspired by her husband's career in law enforcement, and her passion for the written word, Kaylee began to pen her novels as an escape