Start by marking “Inferno of Silence” as Want to Read:
Inferno of Silence

Inferno of Silence

The first collection of short stories by this multitalented author entwines everyday events that are articulated in excellent storytelling. The title story Inferno of Silence portrays men's societal challenges and the unspoken truths and burdens that men bear. While Black lives Matter shows the firsthand trauma of a man facing racism as a footballer plying his trade in Eur ...more
ebook
Published May 8th 2020 by Roaring Lion Newcastle Ltd

To ask other readers questions about Inferno of Silence, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Inferno of Silence

Start your review of Inferno of Silence
Jennie Rosenblum
May 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This author is known for his intense and contemporary poetry. In this collection, he is branching out into seven short stories and brings that fierce feeling to each one. Using the depth of culture from his home country of Nigeria, he presents strong characters dealing with a myriad of life events. The collection starts with Black Lives Matter, where he examines the life of a famous footballer taking a chance in a European league where racism is a blatant and latent occurrence.

In the title story
Parul Gupta
Dec 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
From never been able to pick up a fiction read, this is my second fiction read of 2020. I devoured my last week reading this book and I really went through an emotion coaster ride.
Thanks to Tolu' A. Akinyemi for sharing this review copy.

When crafted well, short stories are like grenades which quickly explode in front of us. A collection of 7 short stories, this book dips your toe into intense minds and foreign worlds.

The characters are compelling, the setting is clear and there is some confli
Aisha Oredola
May 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Can we talk about how inclusive an Inferno of Silence by Tolu Akinyemi is?

This collection is a collage of stories that even the strictest critique will admit to relate to most. A footballer, whose skills are unarguably magical is exposed to racism in the European league he plays for. On the pitch, in trains, everywhere, racism stands taller than his skills that he has to reassure himself that 'Black Lives Matter'. He uses the hate to fuel his confidence instead.

_

"Hard to find a fine boy who is n
Heni Mujaa
Jun 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
i got its pdf copy for free to exchange with an honest review. and tbh, i did not put my expectation too high because actually i am not into fiction these days. i only forced my luck on this one because it's short stories.

and i am glad that i did choose this book. it surprised me in a good-but-dark way. i find too much relatable matters inside, despite the different setting of place between the stories and mine. cultures, norms, values, and religion are some of them.

i could tell that the writer
TitiLola Shittu
Jun 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The Inferno of silence is a collection of seven short stories which cuts across major societal themes - love, mental health, racism, redemption, political problems.

The first story 'Black Lives Matter' is about a young talented professional footballer who left Nigeria to play for the European league. He faced a lot of discrimination because of his skin colour. The title already gives an idea about the story but it is a perfect opening for the collection.

'In The Trap of Seers' a woman experiences
Uchenna (favourite_igbo_boy)
Book~Review (Inferno Of Silence, gifted by @tolutoludo |3✨)⁣

This book is a collection of seven short stories, each theme differing from each other.⁣

The themes in general talked about important topics/issues we face as humans from racism to poor Nigeria security system, Ignorance, poor awareness towards male infertility, parents pressure, superstition, sexism, mental slavery, mental health, abuse, stereotyping in marriage & religion, toxic masculinity and societal expectations.⁣

This read to me
BooksCoffee
Jun 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Akinyemi’s first collection of short stories dazzles with elegant prose, genuine emotions, and Nigerian cultural lore as it plumbs both the socio-cultural issues and the depths of love, loss, grief, and personal trauma.

Spontaneous and sharp “Black lives Matter” explores racism as the gifted footballer protagonist tries his luck in European leagues and realizes that as a man of color, he must examine his own role in taking a stand against racism. Depicting both the societal challenges and the un
Sydnëy Maë
Jun 11, 2020 rated it did not like it
1/5 stars. The writing style was too complicated and I wasn’t able to connect to it.
Julia Walker
May 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
Inferno of Silence, by the award-winning poet Akinyemi, is his first collection of short stories. Writing from personal experience, intuition, and depth, the stories pull the reader inside. The stories demonstrate the difficulties in relationships and prove that some things are true regardless of cultural differences. The struggle for the modern man to balance his masculinity with the expectations of being emotionally well adjusted is revealed with vulnerability and courage.

In the story, “Black
Rajiv
Aug 08, 2020 rated it really liked it

[Blog]::[Youtube]::[Twitter]::[Instagram]::[Pinterest]::[Bloglovin]

Inferno of Silence ” provides a variety of short stories covering diverse issues and makes it a very compelling read.

While all the stories are different from one another, my top three favorites was “ Black Lives Matter ”,  “ Inferno of Silence ” and “ In the Trap of Seers ”. In fact, “ Inferno of Silence ” was the standout for me. My heart went out to the main character for trying to stay positive and have hope. A man
Priyanka Singh
Jul 23, 2021 rated it it was amazing
*I was given a copy of this book for a fair review*

Tolu's novel Inferno of Silence is an anthology following different black (I believe specifically Nigerian) characters and their stories. Overall I very much enjoyed the novel, it made me intrigued in black culture. The collection is a extremely inclusive, delving deep into the societal problems of black culture and how certain issues, such as mental health and spirituality, are portrayed and misinterpreted. I won't go into detail of all the sto
Social Librarian
Aug 30, 2020 rated it really liked it
Book Name: Inferno of Silence

Genre: Short stories

Summary: The title story “Inferno of Silence” portrays men’s societal challenges and the unspoken truths and burdens that men bear, while “Black lives Matter” shows the firsthand trauma of a man facing racism as a footballer plying his trade in Europe.

My Opinion: This is a very rich collection of short stories that are shaped by various real life circumstances and are brought out in a very well developed format, this is a short book but the roots
Tanmay Mehta
Sep 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Inferno of Silence by Tolu' A. Akinyemi 📚

My Rating - 4.4/5 ⭐

Blurb: 🌠
The first collection of short stories by this multitalented author entwines everyday events that are articulated in excellent storytelling.The title story “Inferno of Silence” portrays men’s societal challenges and the unspoken truths and burdens that men bear, while “Black lives Matter” shows the firsthand trauma of a man facing racism as a footballer plying his trade in Europe.

Review📚

⚫This multi-talented author's first series
Liana
Jun 23, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
I think 2020 just might be the year I fall in love with short stories. I was never very fond of them, but Inferno of Silence and Heads of the Colored People have made me fall in love with them.

As I was reading this book, I started marking down my favourite stories, until I realized it was basically most of them. Akinyemi is an extremely talented author, a true master of language and emotion. The majority of the stories in this book take place in Nigeria, a setting I enjoyed tremendously, sinc
Ankita
Aug 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
𝑻𝒊𝒕𝒍𝒆: Inferno Of Silence
𝑨𝒖𝒕𝒉𝒐𝒓: Tolu A' Akinyemi

𝑴𝒚 𝑹𝒆𝒗𝒊𝒆𝒘:
I love reading short stories as I can start and finish some stories on my way to office. Recently, I picked up a collection of short stories by the author Tolu' A Akinyemi. These stories are intriguing and I found myself enjoying each of the story.

The title story 'Inferno Of Silence' is my favourite. This is the story of a Nigerian man who is too tired of his relationship but still trying to make it work. Being a man, he can't say 'I'm
Rutuja Ramteke
Sep 07, 2020 rated it really liked it

It's been days that I have read a well written collection of short stories, Inferno Of Silence is one of those books which will definitely transform you into a world you never have been into. I loved the fact that the stories are so well written and not unnecessarily dragged.
The writing of the book is extremely soothing and simple, the writing goes on more intense where it's needed but I think this book is very different from the books I have read because it's very mutli genre, like it touche
Geetika Sharma
Dec 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
Inferno of silence is a collection of seven short stories with a variety of themes involving love, politics, mental health and racism with a depth of so many emotions.

"Black lives matter" The story of a talented footballer, depicts so many unspoken truths and the challenges and discrimination due to the Racism. The best part of the story was when footballers with T-shirts of Black lives matter were in the stadium. That was the real victory of the spirit of humanity.

“In the Trap of Seers” is the
Sneha Sood
Aug 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
Inferno Of Silence has various short stories that covers different issues. All the stories are unique and good but my favourite are Inferno Of Silence and Return Journey. These stories cover different issues like mental health, depression, suffocating relationship, racism. Every story has something unique to offer to it's readers making it a gripping read.

I started reading this book with an aim to read one story at bedtime but as I started I couldn't resist myself to read next story and then ne
Deepika Kumari
Aug 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Inferno Of Silence by the author Akinyemi is a collection of short stories. The stories show difficulty in marriage, life due to skin color, finding the right woman for life. We also see about the emotions of man that he has to keep inside him otherwise society will not think of it as manly. Each Story captures readers attention and is worth reading.

My Review:
1) The title of the book is unique and I liked it.
2) Cover page of the book is perfect showing a man who has to carry so much burden on
Nony
Aug 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Inferno Of Silence is a collection of seven short stories written by the author Tolu' A Akinyemi. These stories are based on the societal challenges, unspoken truths, mental health, racism, etc.

The first story is "Black Lives Matter". It is the story about a talented football player who left Nigeria and played football for the European league. He didn't know he was black until he arrived in Europe. He faced too much discrimination due to his skin color. The ending of the story and the true Vict
Monika Singla
Sep 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
🔷 BOOK: Inferno Of Silence
🔷 AUTHOR: Tolu' A Akinyemi

Review
Don’t hold grudges, settle your issues before the moon holds sway. Respect each other. Love without flinching and always remember that you’re in this for the long haul. And keep this in your left hand ‘God hates divorce.’

Inferno of Silence by Tolu' A Akinyemi is a rich and captivating collection of seven short stories based on hardships of marriage, racism, mental health, etc.

Inferno Of Silence and Black Lives Matter are among my favour
Komal Chhabra
Sep 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Akinyemi's first short collection is full of beautiful prose, sincere feelings and Nigerian cultural values as it represents the social and cultural problems and deep nature of passion, suffering, sorrow and emotional trauma.

He dissects a marriage in the context of Inferno of Silence, which began with passion and appreciation and then became the everyday drudge of two people living in one room separately.
This is a very rich series of short storeys, influenced by diverse real life situations and
Elias
Jul 31, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Uru
Sep 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
Written Review Of "Inferno Of Silence" By Tolu' A Akinyemi.

Available On : Amazon
Genre : Short Stories.

It's An Amazing Short Story Book Shows Different Events. This Book Talks About Different Evil Things Of Society Like Racism, Political Problem, Lack Of Empathy Etc.

One Of The Football Player Who Has Superclass Skill But Faced Lots Of Political Problem And Racism During His Football Profession.

The Vocabulary Of The Book Is Also Very Good And Author Has Narrated This All Short Stories Very Nicely.
Funboy
Sep 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Inferno Of Silence Review 🗣️

It's an amazing book written by Tolu'A Akinyemi & it has about 216 pages. It's a short stories.

It's has an amazing story which talks about subjects like marriage, relationship, wealth etc which makes its more relatable and makes you introspect to your own self.

It really makes you think and makes you to show empathy towards other people. Author has narrated this story very nicely.

The writing style of the author is amazing and error free and up to the point. It doesn't
Enang God'Swill
Jun 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
'Inferno of Silence' is a collection of seven short stories from a very creative author. Being his very first novel, he delivered like the fingers of Thanus, an unexpected rollercoaster of old ideas in a newly told reverberating manner. Though based in the UK, his collection speaks of African cultural heritage, values and customs which he weaves like a weaver bird, the Western culture.

The stories have a motif of : trauma, racism, death, domestic issues and many more. Garnished with humour, you
Gina Stamper
Sep 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
I like collections like this. If the author executes just right, I can get a different feel from each one. It’s like perfect little shots of stories.

Tolu’ A. Akineymi has created a collection that is powerful. His words really resonate with the world today and each one shines light on many different elements of life in general.

It is anything but one note, if you are looking for simply one thing, you won’t get it. You will get so much more from this collection and each story.
R.K. Emery
Aug 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
This book is needed right now. Life is full of adversity for so many and this highlights many different ways that applies.

Each story is well written and unique. They shed light on different aspects that are all just as important.

Tolu' A. Akinyemi has a wonderfully clear and concise writing style that I enjoyed throughout.
Samantha Turley
Aug 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
Give this collection a shot, you will take away even more than you could think. I like that Akinyemi’s voice remained the same through each book, but that he highlighted different things in each one. It was a good variety while showing where his heart is. They are compelling and enlightening while being heartwarming as well.
Becky Ballenger
Oct 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
I normally do not read short stories, I’m a novel person, but these short stories were impactful and diverse. The author is new to me, and I was quite impressed! I read many authors and arcs from new authors, so when I find a new author that impresses I remember them. You will definitely remember this author, and be on the lookout for more!

• Marigold - the Golden Memories
  • The Ancestor
  • BLOWBACK: A "Cadillac" Holland Mystery (Cadillac Holland Mystery Series Book 1)
  • Heirs Apparent
  • Three Times the Fun
  • After the Outbreak (N87 Virus, #1)
  • Finding Your Voice: A Path to Recovery for Survivors of Abuse
  • Auntie, I Don't Want You To Get Married: Danielle The Girl From New York
  • Forced to Breed: The Snip
  • Some Laneys Died (Skipping Sideways #1)
  • Punching Down the Walls
  • Dear Hope
  • I wonder what the little black boy dreams about
  • Chasing Stomach Buttererflies
  • Caleb's Adventures with Granddad
  • The Thing About Legends
  • The Match Disaster
Tolu’ A. Akinyemi (also known as Tolutoludo & Lion of Newcastle) is a multi-award-winning author in the genre of poetry, short story, children’s literature and essays.

His works include: Dead Lions Don’t Roar (poetry, 2017), Unravel Your Hidden Gems (essays, 2018), Dead Dogs Don’t Bark (poetry, 2018), Dead Cats Don’t Meow (poetry, 2019), Never Play Games with the Devil (poetry, 2019), Inferno of S