Start by marking “Potop (Trylogia, #2)” as Want to Read:
Potop (Trylogia, #2)

Potop

(The Trilogy #2.1)

Potop, druga z powieści tworzących Trylogię, przedstawia dzieje Polski w dobie najazdu Szwedów (1655-1660). Zasadniczą ideą powieści jest problem zdrady i wiernośsci, będący kryterium moralnej oceny zarówno postaci historycznych (np. Radziwiłł), jak i fikcyjnych (przede wszystkim Kmicic). Z głównym motywem wiąże się sposób prezentacji zdarzeń - Sienkiewicz ukazuje dwie ...more
784 pages
Published 1991 by Zielona Sowa (first published 1886)

To ask other readers questions about Potop, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Potop

Start your review of Potop (Trylogia, #2)
Lou
May 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
One important note... if you read the trilogy in English, be sure to read the translation by Kuniczak. I started reading one by a different translator and the difference was night and day. It was like reading a wooden story by an author of adventure books for young adults instead of a well written story by a great author. If you read a poor review I wonder if the reviewer didn't read the other translation.

The stories in the series read like a mix of "War and Peace" and "The Three Musketeers".
Seth
Jun 05, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: recommended

See the review of With Fire and Sword. This is part two. It is two volumes totalling 2000 pages. So yeah, maybe that's why people don't want to read. 3000 pages. But man. wow. whew. woa.
Kinga
Aug 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Finally finished! I'm crying oh my gosh.

Review to come later (probably).
Czarny Pies
Jul 14, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Alexandre Dumas or Alessandro Manzoni
Recommended to Czarny by: All of my Polish Inlaws
The key to enjoying "The Deluge" is to read the most recent translation by W.S. Kuniczak. Do not be tempted as I was by the free copies of this work available at Project Gutenberg and the Internet Archive. These free versions are of the 19th century translation by Jeremiah Curtin. Curtin reduced the total length of the work by about 35% and in so doing threw out the baby with the bath water. The Kuniczak translation is absolutely wonderful and is the only version that should be considered.
"The
Chrissie
Oct 10, 2012 marked it as own-unread
Second Third in the series.

Currently available free at Amazon Kindle:
vol 1: http://www.amazon.com/Deluge-Historic...

vol 2: http://www.amazon.com/Deluge-Historic...

Third is Pan Michael - An Historical Novel of Poland, the Ukraine, and Turkey

according to : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henryk_S...

Thanks, Bryn, for helping me with this!
James Burns
The Deluge Volume I was a great experience and a walk through the 17th century Poland during the Swedish invasion of 1655-1657. While reading Volume I of The Deluge and after reading With Fire and Sword - the first book in Henryk Sienkiewicz's Trilogy - in W. S. Kuniczak's modern translation, I was reminded of Leo Tolstoy's War and Peace, which happens to be my favorite book of all time. The first two books of this trilogy are very close seconds. When you read books like these where the ...more
Matthew Burkhardt
Dec 03, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Incredibly long but never a dull moment. The epic adventures of Pan Michal and Pan Zagloba continue in this second volume of Sienkiewicz' Trilogy. So worth it.
Tori
Bogdan
Jan 20, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: central-europe
In my edition, this is just the first volume from "The Deluge", I will make a final review after reading volume 3. I may adjust also the final rating after that. For now, I estimate a rating around 3 stars, as it has certain flaws, but in general is a robust and interesting novel.

Below are some notes and impressions that I decided to wrote down in order to remember by the moment I will write the final review:
- nationalism developed greatly at the end of 19th century; it seems that Sienkiewicz is
Andrii
Oct 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book tells a story of Polish-Lithuanian Kingdom after the Uprising of Bogdan Khmielnitski. The same heroes - Pan Zagloba, Pan Wolodyjowski, Pan Skrzetuski, Pani Anusia Borzobohata and also new heroes the fate of whom will absorb your whole attention. The action takes place on all territory from Poznan till Latvia, from Gdansk till Zywiec. The book is must read for Polish citizens, but also worth reading for a person who has ever asked oneself regarding the motherland, faith and honour.
Anna
Apr 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
Henryk Sienkiewicz wrote this book to make Polish people feel better. Some characters are true, some are fake, but it's rather good read if you don;'t think about the amount of pages.
Guen Rossi
Oct 02, 2017 rated it liked it
Exceptionally difficult even if compared to other authors of mid 1800. Lots of names, frequently intervalled by nick names, family names or noble titles referring to the same person; thus making it impossible to clearly follow the plot. My translation in English was probably poor: I do perceive a certain literary value and some of the chapters were intriguing but far too many pages (even for the 19th century) were filled with pompous dialogues, with painstakingly detailed descriptions of battles ...more
N
Well, the story is amazing as always, but for the first time I was tired by the volume of the book by Sienkievicz - some parts are to long as for me, too much details, though I never listed over, even the description of war: it was too involving and vividly pictured. And this was the first book from triology where you could play in drinking game when you see "by sword and fire"- excessive usage in my opinion. But even with this little annoying details I still like the book and its style.
Andre
Oct 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book because my wife's grandpa is polish and he gave the trilogy to her uncle. It was a delight and amazing book about the history of one of the most important Christian countries in the world.
Dustin Pohlman
Jan 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The standard for which all epic adventure books should be measured.
Izabela
Aug 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: international
Fantastic epic story of Polish great history written when Poland did not exist as a country for over 123 years. Poland was split between Russia, Prussia and Austria-Hungarian empire.
Ghostholos
May 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Most of the characters from "With Fire and Sword" return to the literary stage for another adventure. This time around the focus shifts to some new faces set against new political circumstances.
Iuli
Mar 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wellll, it wasn't as good like the first part, has some plot points repetead but it's still worth reading this 1500 pages mammoth of a book.
David Bradshaw
Jan 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Rollicking tale
Al
Oct 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone interested in Eastern European history.
Shelves: in-my-library
Excellent book! I agree with the other reviewers, if you can find the W.S. Kuniczak translation, read those. I have the other two volumes with the Kuniczak translation.

The entire trilogy is beyond excellent, written buy Henryk Sienkiewicz. I chose to read the Jeremiah Curtin translation for a number of reasons. First of all I wanted to see for myself how different the two translations were. In my opinion Curtain's translation was done as if a student were translating Polish. Yes, certain words
Stephen
Feb 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Treachery, greed and dominance vs. honor, courage and redemption- all in the same family or even in the same person. The description of the siege of the Yasna Gorda Monastery by the Swedes was the most inspirational episodes I've ever read. It makes The Alamo seem like a minor skirmish . After a little research, I've discovered that the monastery houses a treasury of votive offerings that would make an historian weep - everything from swords and armor from centuries ago, to rosary beads made ...more
Alex
Nov 18, 2012 added it
This was a fantastic book. This is the Polish Three Musketeers. Sienkiwicz is the most revered Polish author for writing this series. This is the better of the two English translation, having been accomplished by an author in his own right.
The book describes a horrific time in Poland when the country was plunged into a civil war while being attacked by the Swede's, Russian's, German's all at the same time. The story turns around at the shrine of the black Madonna at Czestchowa.
Tomasz G
Jan 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The Grand Book of my childhood times. Constantly promising myself I will read it again.

There is a movie adaptation directed by Jerzy Hoffman under the same title. I strongly recommend everyone to see it - one of the best Polish movies ever made.
Mieczyslaw Kasprzyk
This is an essential read for all of Polish background. This is the great work of Polish literature and the tale itself is inspiring. The gradual "salvation" of the individual mirrors the decline and rebirth of the nation.
Krzysztof Bielak
Jul 03, 2016 rated it liked it
The novel progressed very slowly but after the siege of the monastary the novel really started to get better
Marlene Howard
I liked this book. It was easier to read than With Fire and Sword
Lucrecia
Apr 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A great great book! can't wait to read the other two!
Agata
May 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite books of all time, and a must-read for all Polish literature lovers.
Lasha Martashvili
Great historical novel! Described affairs and life of 17th century Europe. Ukrainian-Polish relations.

• The Doll
  • Pan Tadeusz
  • Dziady
  • Zemsta
  • Achaja. Tom I (Achaja, #1)
  • Kamienie na szaniec
  • Syzyfowe prace
  • Przedwiośnie
  • Chłopi
  • Ferdydurke
  • Pan Lodowego Ogrodu. Tom 1 (Pan Lodowego Ogrodu, #1)
  • Narrenturm (Trylogia husycka, #1)
  • Nie-Boska komedia
  • On the Niemen
  • Ludzie bezdomni
  • Śluby panieńskie
  • Medaliony
  • The Wedding
Henryk Adam Aleksander Pius Sienkiewicz (also known as "Litwos"; May 5, 1846–November 15, 1916) was a Polish journalist and Nobel Prize-winning novelist. He was one of the most popular Polish writers at the turn of the 19th and 20th centuries, and received the Nobel Prize in Literature in 1905 for his "outstanding merits as an epic writer."

Born into an impoverished gentry family in the Podlasie

The Trilogy (6 books)
  • Ogniem i mieczem tom 1 (Trylogia, z obrazkami)
  • Ogniem i mieczem tom 2 (Trylogia, z obrazkami)
  • Potop. Tom II
  • Potop 3 (Trylogia, z obrazkami)
  • Pan Wołodyjowski (Trylogia, #3)
“first wrong.” 0 likes