Jump to ratings and reviews

When the Wind Chimes

From international bestselling, award-winning author Mary Ting comes a heartwarming page-turner about the beauty of being with family, second chances, and the magic of Christmas, when anything is possible ... A gorgeous and festive island treat for fans of Debbie Macomber, Sheila Roberts, and Jenny Hale.

"The sweeping island scenery and romance left me feeling refreshed. This was a mini escape!" ~First for Women Magazine
SOMETIMES ANGELS COME IN HUMAN FORM.

When Kaitlyn Chang receives an invitation to spend Christmas with her family on the Hawaiian island of Kauai, she feels it may be the perfect medicine for everything wrong this holiday season. She immediately throws herself into helping her sister's struggling art gallery. She even begins to paint again. It's tempting to just move to Kauai, but she has obligations back in Los Angeles.

Life gets complicated when circumstances keep putting her close to Leonardo Medici. Not only is he a local celebrity, he's drop-dead gorgeous. But Kaitlyn can't shake the feeling he's hiding something.

Should she believe the rumors that he's romancing half the island's single women?

Or is the random sound of wind chimes when he's close-by a sign that an angel is near and the key to her happily ever after?

“When the Wind Chimes is more than a romance novel. It’s a heart-warming, feel-good read that will leave readers wanting more.” – Chanticleer Reviews

"I didn't know I needed this book until it landed in my lap. When you need a break from reality and just want to snuggle in with a cup of tea, some romance, and laughs; this book is perfect." ~Erin, Bookseller at Barnes and Noble

"Mary Ting captures the spirit of Christmas in her new romance that promises to leave you in laughs and tears all the while reminding you that those you've lost are never as far as you might think." ~Tanya Roberts CER Indigo Books, Quebec Canada

*Romantic Fiction Grand Prize Winner, Chatelaine Book Awards
*Bronze Medal Winner, Independent Publisher Book Awards (IPPY)
*Gold Award Winner in Romance, Kops-Fetherling International Book Awards

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/authormaryt...
Tiktok: https://www.tiktok.com/@marytingauthor
Website: https://www.tangledtalesofting.com/
Twitter @MaryTing https://twitter.com/MaryTing

Born in Seoul, Korea, author Mary Ting is an international bestselling, multi-gold award-winning author. Her books span a wide range of genres, and her storytelling talents have earned a devoted legion of fans, as well as garnered critical praise. She is a diverse voice who writes diverse characters, often dealing with a catastrophic world.

Becoming an author happened by chance. It was a way to grieve the death of her beloved grandmother and inspired by a dream she had in high school. After realizing she wanted to become a full-time author, Mary retired from teaching. She also had the privilege of touring with the Magic Johnson Foundation to promote literacy and her children’s chapter book: No Bullies Allowed.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
4 (2%)
1 star
1 (<1%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 92 reviews
Profile Image for Jacob Proffitt.
2,849 reviews1,490 followers
December 4, 2020
This worked out pretty well. It's a single PoV romance, so it's good that Kate works out as well as she does. I liked that she was honestly motivated with helping her sister and nephew through their first Christmas after a big loss. And it doesn't hurt that Lee is sweet and that we get to see him at his private best.

The only real annoyance I had with Kate was how much her cheating ex figured as a source of melancholy. That guy was so obviously a waste of useable oxygen that I can understand a little her sense of guilt at being with the loser, but that she wasn't all "hell no" at any mention or thought of taking him back was a bit disturbing.

And the only real annoyance with Lee wasn't really his fault. I disliked how the author resorted to artifice a bit too much for my taste in interrupting key moments or tender developments. Also, Kate had a tendency to jump to bad conclusions that just happened to fit his accidental actions at just the right time and that was a bit disturbing, too. But don't take that too far because frankly, he was pretty fantastic for most of the story and I really liked getting to know him as Kate did.

Raising the story a bit above the average it was heading for was the secondary characters. Kate's sister is the more obvious as the most present other adult in the story. Her grief was a heavy presence, but so was her courage and determination to do her best for her son and sister. She stole my heart and was a big part of my engagement with Kate through their loving bond and devotion. But I liked the kids, nearly as much. Kate's natural way with them was emphasized enough that I was glad Ting was able to support it with action on the page; so we see her circumventing a moment of irrational anger or fit of pique and do so consciously and with technique that I give a decent chance of actually working.

So this comes in at a solid four stars, despite some structural awkwardness and minor character friction. I was fully engaged and loved seeing Kauai at Christmas and the developing romance framed there.

A note about Chaste: This story is about them falling for one another and it happens fast enough and with enough surrounding constraint that there wasn't any realistic opportunity for physical intimacy. There was opportunity, mind, but neither of the romantic leads were casual sex kind of people so there's no way it would have worked with who they were. So Ting did a great job showing them fall in love without needing to bring sex into it. There was an outstanding kiss, but that was it. So this is pretty chaste, I think.
Profile Image for Jen ♥Star-Crossed Book Blog♥.
496 reviews301 followers
December 22, 2020
When the Wind Chimes was a cozy feel good read! Sprinkled with Christmas, family and love, this book had all of the feels of a Hallmark movie. I loved that I kept finding myself smiling and I even had to wipe a few tears away while reading. With low angst and an ending that had my heart happy long after I finished that last page, I absolutely adored this book. If you're looking for a Christmas story that will warm your heart, then definitely pick this one up!
I was oil; he was acrylic, and we could never mix on the same canvas.

The story started off with Kaitlyn Summers, aka Kate, landing in Kauai to spend the holidays with her family. But not long after arriving, Kate had an interesting run in with Leonardo Medici aka Lee. And they continued to run into each other, quite literally at times, as the story unfolded. Each time seemed to shake one of them up. So when it felt like fate intervened, I loved sitting back and watching where it took them!
I promise with all the unicorns, rainbows, and all the sparkling things.

I loved Kate! She was an artist who lived in LA and was kind, caring and thoughtful. But one of my favorite things about her was how fiercely she loved her sister, Abby. They were the bestest of friends and loved each other with their whole hearts. They helped one another out, picked each other up and even messed with the other. But sometimes their intervention was exactly what the other one needed. Their sisterly love felt like a hidden gem in this book! So I was rooting for Kate to stay in Kauai. I also loved the relationship she had with her nephew, Tyler and another little child that easily stole her heart.
His gaze slid to my lips and his eyes darkened. He inched toward my mouth, tortuously slow, as his finger brushed my cheek.
Lee, what are you doing to me?

From the first moment we met Lee, my heart was all a flutter. He was a local celebrity and the man was as elusive as he was sexy! Lee was kind, generous, and seemed cautious with his heart. So of course I wanted to know all of his secrets! There's so much I want to say about him, but my lips are zipped. Just know that the more I got to know Lee, the harder I fell for him.
Lee lowered his darkened eyes to my mouth, then met my gaze with intensity. His voice became rough and deeper. “I don’t think that at all, Kate. If you knew what I was thinking at this moment, you would think I wasn’t being professional.”
I had no idea how to process that as I watched him walk away.

Christmas was in the air and romance, family and charm was splashed across the pages. The story between Kate and Lee was slow burn and beyond adorable. And even though it felt like they were worlds apart, at the same time there was a spark between them that couldn’t be denied. So I kept my fingers crossed! If you adore Christmas romance stories that are sweet and have family and children in the pages, then definitely add this one to your list! The next book will be about Kate’s sister, Abby and I can’t wait for her book!

*I voluntarily read and reviewed an advanced copy of this book, provided by the author. All thoughts and opinions are my own.*

For more of my reviews, please visit:
descriptive text here
Profile Image for Kari Hansen.
8,737 reviews49 followers
November 11, 2020
All Kate needs is a little time and distance to heal from the painful life her personal life has taken and there is no place better than being close to her sister and her children. What she wasn’t prepared for Lee, the infuriating yet sexy stranger who made her feel alive.

At first glance Lee and Kate’s lives may appear to be on different tracks but they are drawn to each other in a way that neither expected. It soon becomes apparent that somethings are meant to be even if you can’t see it at that time.

This is a heartwarming story about love, family and realizing what is truly important in life.
Profile Image for Jennifer Burkhalter.
5 reviews12 followers
November 8, 2020
If you are looking for a slow, sweet and down to earth romance then this is definitely the book for you. The character's are sweet and its nice to see feelings and thoughts that are relatable in a realistic way.
Profile Image for Mary Ting.
Author 48 books2,127 followers
Currently reading
August 21, 2020
I can't wait for you to read When the Wind Chimes. 11/17/2020
The story takes place in Kauai. My favorite island. I've been there several times, and if I could, I would love to live there.

Words from three editors.

*The lightheartedness of the story was definitely what I needed on an emotional level right now, and I’ll never hear wind chimes the same way again.

*OH MY GOSH! I love this story so much! It’s so sweet and precious and Lee is AMAZING! If only real life was like this.

*Oh my heart. I absolutely loved it.
Profile Image for Ellen Burns.
4 reviews1 follower
July 1, 2020
This was an outstanding read. At times, I couldn't control my laughter, and at times, I found myself crying I was so caught up in the characters. This is a feel-good, clean romance suitable for teens as well as adults. I wouldn't be at all surprised if it is made into a Hallmark movie.
Profile Image for Suniko.
78 reviews2 followers
November 16, 2020
Hallmark movie meets book!!

A book filled with a quintessential Christmas story that has all the feel of a Hallmark movie warmth and love! A story book that will have you smiling throughout and maybe even shedding a few tears, I know I did. If you are looking for the perfect Christmas love story well you just found it

I really enjoyed watching the characters relationship unfold!

Kaitlyn Summers, aka Kate, is in Kauai to spend the holidays with her family. There she has an interesting run-in with the scorching gorgeous Leonardo Medici aka Lee. And they continued to run into each other as the story unfolded.

Kate is an artist who lived in LA. And she loves her sister, Abby, fiercely. The bestest of friends.

Lee is a local celebrity in his own right. A totally allusive to his sexiness. He is a kind, generous, and cautious with love. He is a book boyfriend worthy. Definitely someone to fall for.

When the Wind Chimes is truly a heartfelt story.
October 21, 2020
Sometimes angels come in human form. -When the Wind Chimes

The characters were phenomenal!!! I loved reading and getting to know Kate, Bridget, Lee, Tyler and Abby. These characters made the story come to life and made all the feelers come out too.

The story-line was amazing!! It was such a warm and heartfelt story and has put me into the Christmas spirit. I completely fell in love with this story and I ended up having some chills in some parts within it. It felt like it was a true story and I got a front row seat to watch it unfold. It made me smile and I felt like a giddy school girl. Ting did a fantastic job making this story so fun and light and reminded us that Christmas is more than just presents. It's about love and giving and family and friends along with miracles!! Fate sure did it's job bringing this story to life and the plot kept me hoping and wishing for a happy ending. I highly recommend this read!!!
Profile Image for Jeannette dods.
101 reviews4 followers
November 4, 2020
Grab your cozy blanket and a mug of hot chocolate. Now prepare yourself to feel all the warm and fuzzies. Kaitlyn and Leonardo's story will have you swooning and crying with happy tears. A wonderful story you'll absolutely love, I "promise to the unicorns, rainbows, and all the sparkling things"
Profile Image for Kim.
Author 15 books236 followers
November 11, 2020
As soon as I heard about this book, I wanted to read it. For one thing, it is set in Kaua’i, a neighboring island. For another, it’s written by Mary Ting, and I would read the phone book if she wrote it!

When the Wind Chimes is a a beautifully sweet romance. Kaitlyn Summers has come to the island to spend the holidays with her sister and her nephew. What I love most about Kate as a character is that love and romance was the furthest thing from her mind. If anything, it was the last thing she wanted. Similarly, Lee, while not necessarily against the idea of finding love and romance, was rightfully wary of finding the real thing. That created a level of reluctance on both their parts that made the rest of the story that much more interesting.

That is one of the things I love so much about Mary Ting’s books, the character development. As a reader, I want to feel like I know a character, whether main or supporting. She does that for me. I felt Kate’s struggle, understood Lee’s. And Abby, my heart felt for her. Even the children, little ones, I loved them. Tyler and Bridget had their own stories, just like Abby, and I loved them both.

This is more than just Kate and Lee’s story. This is the story of five people, about trying to find their way through all of the things that life hands them. It was beautiful!

my recommendation: If you love romance with real people and deep feelings, this is a great read. I promise on “the unicorns, rainbows, and all the sparkling things.” Which is a sentiment you will understand upon reading this wonderful book!
Profile Image for Nancy Byers.
Author 2 books5 followers
November 9, 2020
This book has holiday fun, romance and the right amount of spark. Mary Ting has a gift for creating amazing book boyfriends, her stories especially romances will tug at your heart. You will love this sweet holiday romance! I am here to tell you that you will not be able to put the book down!
Profile Image for Ashley Cestra.
955 reviews21 followers
November 10, 2020
Oh! I do love a Christmas story, and this one has alllll the feels! I’m so excited this author is back to writing romance! Her stories have been the most memorable to me!
When the Wind Chimes is truly a heartfelt story. I really enjoyed watching the characters relationship unfold! The plot held my attention and when I finished reading, I was happy the couple got their HEA, but was sad the story was over!
4 reviews3 followers
November 7, 2020
When The Wind Chimes is a delightful story of love, hope, and believing in the impossible. The main character is sweet and has suffered a few missteps in her life when it comes to love and hopes a change of pace in Hawaii on the island of Kuai might be just what she needs to get back on track. I loved the joy I found following her journey and highly recommend this book to readers looking for a story that draws you in and has you rooting for the good ones.
18 reviews
November 8, 2020
When the Wind Chimes is such a great story. Kaitlyn heart is broken she visits her sister and nephew in Kauai. She accepts a nanny job and meets Leonardo. Great love story. Mary Ting is my favorite author.
Profile Image for Movies, Shows, & Books.
321 reviews9 followers
October 21, 2022
Note: This Review contains NO spoilers

I just love reading Mary's romance stories. It is so sweet and emotional. When the Wind Chimes is just that... so much feels from beginning to end. From a broken heart to a heart renewed, When the Wind Chimes tells of the emotional journey of loss and heartache to finding a fresh new start and moving forward.

This was such a sweet love story, especially when the character wasn't really looking for love...haha! Anyways, from the first chapter, I was taken away to a beautiful setting and relatable, complex characters. A story that flowed from chapter to chapter evoking humor and, from time to time, tears. With such details with the characters and setting, I think so much more stories can be written.

When the Wind Chimes focuses on Kate and Lee's growing relationship that developed to so much more. By the last page, I still wanted to read more... Oh the feels that this story stirred up. I loved it!

Reviewer: Jasmine
Disclaimer: We received a free copy for an honest review. All is my own opinion
Profile Image for Cheree Castellanos Edits.
286 reviews25 followers
November 16, 2020
What a sweet and perfect love story! I grew so attached to these amazing characters, and felt very strongly for the ones I disliked! Gorgeous setting in Hawaii in a time in five people's lives when they need to find their people and place the most!
I was lost in the setting and sweet tale that was full of emotion and heartbreaking truths of our world. And true to loves nature, it finds us where we are least expecting and when we aren't looking.
I love Kate and Lee's story, and want to hear more about Kate, Lee, and Bridget's future, as well as Abby and Tyler. I hope there's more to their story in the future, because I'm not done with these wonderful characters yet!
Profile Image for Cindy Fong.
1,531 reviews
November 21, 2020
This story is like being inside a Hallmark Christmas movie. Girl meets boy, a spark is struck and on a small island it is inevitable that they run into each other. Kate is sweet and at times awkward around Lee. Lee is commanding and something about Kate draws him in. It takes the friendship of two kids and Lee's love of art to push them together. Family is who you love and who loves you, sometimes your soulmate is fated like the stars. Sometimes divine intervention plays a role. This was an easy paced fast read and an enjoyable sweet romance.
Profile Image for Amber.
1,186 reviews33 followers
November 7, 2020
When the Wind Chimes is the quintessential hallmark story for the holidays. It is so beautiful it hurts, and it wraps itself completely around your heart as it weaves itself into your very soul. There is no walking away from this journey without a few scars and numerous emotions. Even if you try to keep things light, it will obliterate your walls with the power of unrelenting love and demolish even the strongest resolve with its blistering heart. You will walk away changed, better, and hopeful. This is a book everyone needs to read each and every year. It will make for the perfect new holiday tradition.

Kate needs a change. She knows she can't continue to walk her current path. She needs something more. Above all, she needs to allow her heart to shower love and hope on her family. When she unexpectedly finds herself at a crossroads, she doesn't think she can trust her heart to make the best decisions. After all how can falling in love with an unattainable man be any way to heal her broken heart? She will fulfill her promises while pushing her feelings away, but can she fight Fate or even her big sister for that matter?

I am head over heels for Lee and Kate. While they seemed like leagues apart, they were so incredibly perfect for each other. We don't give our heart enough credit to know when it recognizes the other part of our soul. Instead of dismissing it, we need to learn to just watch and listen before we push it aside and ignore it. I hope that we all have someone in our lives that will help to push us toward what they know is what we need no matter how stubborn we are.

Mary Ting is a master storyteller, and a master match maker. She lets us know that it is ok to make a mistake, but we can't live our life being fearful to try again. Our heart will fade and die if we don't take care of it as will our hope. We must always remember to lend a hand and give honest advice from the heart. What is life worth if not lived to the fullest?
Profile Image for Pegboard.
1,741 reviews9 followers
June 23, 2021
When the Wind Chimes was such a delightful novel to read as Mary Ting takes the heartache, rejection, and fears of Kaitlyn Summers and shows what could happen when angels come in human form. Kaitlyn has faced the heartbreak of being cheated on twice by her ex-boyfriend, and she has sworn off men. This Christmas will be difficult as it is the first year without Steve, Kaitlyn's brother-in-law, since he succumbs to cancer. While visiting her sister and nephew, things become more complex when she continually runs into handsome Leonardo Medici. He appears to be just like the wealthy playboy that broke her heart. Can Kaitlyn guard her heart when Leonardo does everything he can to melt it?

I found When the Wind Chimes enchanting as Mary Ting hooks you with mishaps Kaitlyn continually finds herself, then pierces your heart with the doubts and fears she attempted to leave behind with her ex-boyfriend. The story smoothly went from one calamity to another as Kaitlyn's nervous behavior around Leonardo changed from fun to fantasy. I was amazed at the variety of topics on which this author writes. Many of Ting's stories have a strong female lead, but this novel shows the vulnerability of her characters. Disease and death struck the characters hard, and finding love is the connecting point in this story. I highly recommend this novel for the awkward moments between the characters that make you laugh. But also the tender times that make you remember loved ones you miss during holidays.

Written by Peggy Jo Wipf for Readers' Favorite.
Profile Image for Merissa (Archaeolibrarian).
3,392 reviews91 followers
November 13, 2020
WHEN THE WIND CHIMES is a light, contemporary read with low angst and lots of warm feel-good feelings attached to it.

I did find the blurb to be slightly confusing as Kaitlyn (Kate) did not come across as heartbroken. She was sad at the death of her brother-in-law, upset for her sister and nephew, and annoyed with her ex-boyfriend. Heartbroken though? No.

She goes to Hawai'i for Christmas as it is the first one her sister will have without her husband. Whilst there, she has two job interviews that come to nothing but does land a job looking after a little girl who is one of her nephew's classmates.

The angst in the book mainly revolves around whether or not Lee actually likes her or if he just sees her as his child's temporary nanny. There is some mention of what it is like to lose a husband or sibling and the impact that has on the family left behind.

All in all, this was a sweet read with a seasonal setting.

* A copy of this book was provided to me with no requirements for a review. I voluntarily read this book, and the comments here are my honest opinion. *

Merissa
Archaeolibrarian - I Dig Good Books!
Profile Image for Tanya Roberts.
83 reviews
November 6, 2020
I set out to read "When the wind chimes" wrapped in a warm blanket and a cup of tea and was pleasantly welcomed into a heartwarming, funny, and romantic story.
Mary Ting captures the spirit of Christmas with her beautiful imagery and a captivating storyline that makes you want to keep reading. The exploration of relationships between children and adults seen mostly in Kate's relationship with Tyler and Bridget plays a big role in the storyline and captures quite well the tone and values of Christmas and the author. It also serves as a beautiful reminder that you never forget those whom you've lost.
This book is a sure thing for all the Christmas romance movie lovers all over!
I recommend wholeheartedly and hopeful for a continuation of this series maybe? ;) Mary Ting
Profile Image for Sue M. Van.
225 reviews4 followers
October 29, 2020
This love story is truly heart warming. From page one, the story draws the reader in and keeps the pages turning. Happiness and tears throughout the book. This author knows how to express her words so that the reader actually feels the emotions. Mary Ting is an author who I have followed for several years now and have read most of her books. This is a first genre for her and she, as with all her books, has mastered yet another genre in her repertoire. This book is not to be missed.
Profile Image for Susan.
26 reviews
November 8, 2020
There is so much to say about this amazing, lovely book. I was hooked from page 1. The story was so well written that I felt everything each character felt. I cried, I laughed, I didn't want it to end. Mary, you really need to write a book that is never ending. Just saying. Mary is my absolute favorite author, and she never disappoints. This was a heartfelt love story. I would love to see a book written about Abby now. Please.
Profile Image for Kellyann.
331 reviews9 followers
November 8, 2020
Wow!! Such a great book. The plot was perfect. It was unpredictability romantic. Lee was so self preserved that not knowing what he was thinking or what he was feeling kept me glued to the pages. Kate and Lee are so perfect together. Fate brought them together. I wish there story didn’t end. The wind chimes gave me goosebumps!!!! So moving.
Profile Image for Valerie Roberson.
386 reviews6 followers
November 16, 2020
I’m not a romance fan, but this book drew me in right from the very beginning. The storyline is absolutely fantastic. The characters are so real you can feel their emotions and you feel like your a part of the book. I truly love that the storyline wasn’t all about sex and finding a lover, it was a truly down to earth magical adventure working up to the romance. No sex was needed as the author’s words had you feeling what wasn’t said or done. The love between sisters was very powerful and made me envious and wished I had a sister. Family love was strong, and with the circumstances of both parties, it showed two completely different two families commit their love. I really enjoyed reading this book. I found that I didn’t want to put it down and I had to see how things played out. This was an awesome book by an awesome author
Profile Image for Ann.
1,954 reviews3 followers
June 29, 2021
This is a new-to-me author and I wasn't sure what to expect. What I got was a beautifully written book that will keep you turning the pages. It's a sweet heartwarming story that was an absolute joy to read.

Profile Image for Elliot.
53 reviews
November 6, 2020
Slow, yummy build of strong attraction with a perfect happily ever after. It was wonderful to go along on this sweet journey of fate meets destiny.
Profile Image for Steffani.
26 reviews
November 7, 2020
Perfect book for the holiday season! This is such a heartwarming, feel good story. There are moments that make you laugh and moments you cry. Characters that you fall in love with. It’s the perfect read for lighthearted romance.
Displaying 1 - 30 of 92 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.