Start by marking “FIYAH Literary Magazine of Black Speculative Fiction, Issue 14, Spring 2020” as Want to Read:
FIYAH Literary Magazine of Black Speculative Fiction, Issue 14, Spring 2020

"Zombie of Palmares" by Woody Dismukes
"Autolysis After Mentor Pursues Me While in a Relationship" by Jacqui Swift
ebook
Published April 2020 by Troy L. Wiggins

Be the first to ask a question about FIYAH Literary Magazine of Black Speculative Fiction, Issue 14, Spring 2020

Start your review of FIYAH Literary Magazine of Black Speculative Fiction, Issue 14, Spring 2020
Jennifer Shelby
Jun 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: specficmagazines
This review was originally posted on my blog at https://jennifershelby.blog/2020/06/1...

This issue of FIYAH contains four short stories and two poems, and I’ll review them in the order of publishing. My overall impression of this is issue positive. I read several literary magazines a week (I love me some short stories!) but I rarely find one wherein I enjoy each and every story as I did this one.

Guardian of the Gods by Tobi Ogundiran

In the opening story, Ogundiran’s protagonist is an acolyte nam
Randall
Aug 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
I think I liked the stories in this one slightly better than those in Issue 13, on a general/collective basis.

This is not at all useful to you, but I didn't type it for you.

LP Kindred's "Your Rover is Here" might, for me, have the most potential for a broader look (apparently this is what I get out of short fiction?). Was definitely interested in the protagonist, who seemed conflicted about doing the right thing, so to speak, with his powers. There is some social commentary here that is rather
Wil C. Fry
Aug 09, 2020 rated it liked it

This was the second issue of Fiyah I’ve tried, and the results were the same: I enjoyed the four short stories, each taking me to someplace new — or someplace old but with a new (to me) viewpoint. My favorite story was Uniform, by Errick Nunnally. (I have published a longer review on my website.)

(Note: In case Goodreads moves this review, which has happened to me in the past, I wrote it about Issue #14 of Fiyah (literary magazine of Black speculative fiction).)

Joanne Rixon
Jun 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is a great magazine! Light, fresh, interesting, with a strong variety of stories.

GUARDIAN OF THE GODS // TOBI OGUNDIRAN - 5765 WORDS: A young acolyte is confronted with new information about the life cycles of the gods. I was hesitant about this one until about halfway through and then I really liked it. A great meditation on faith and a powerful reclamation of cosmic power.

UNIFORM // ERRICK NUNNALLY - 5549 WORDS: A mechanized veteran faces crisis in peace. I struggled with this story and
Kelsey Brennan
Jun 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A great issue, I enjoyed all four short stories, and both poems. In particular, the first story 'Guardian of the Gods' by Tobi Ogundiran, was a really interesting look at the role storytelling plays in faith. Ogundiran built up a really interesting mythology in a short amount of space. I also really liked 'Your Rover is Here' by LP Kindred, which introduced a really dynamic magic system and felt like the beginning of a larger story I would love to read. ...more
Cristy Emmnm
Jul 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
Favorite Fiyah issue I’ve read so far.

4-5 star ratings:

**Guardian of the Gods: 5 stars (!!!) reminds me of Raven Tower. Can not wait to read more from Tobi Ogundiran.

** Uniform: 4.5 stars ::sobs::

** Your Rover is Here: 4 stars. If this truly is LP Kindred’s first pubbed short we’re in for a treat. Didn’t know how here I was for Black Harry Dresden driving an Uber. If you’re reading this, Kindred: I am so here for it. I could’ve read 400 pages.

Megan
Jun 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This was an interesting combination of short stories & poetry centered around the Black Community.

I enjoyed the variety of different themes particularly the sci-fi aspects and from various authors.

If you're looking for a short series of stories that give a glimpse into the Black community, I highly recommend especially if you enjoy speculative fiction.
Yuliya Astapova
Jan 03, 2021 rated it really liked it
Awesome stuff, my favorite was "Uniform" by Errick Nunnally. I also loved "Your Rover is Here" by LP Kindred and I hope to see more from him in the same universe. ...more
Megan

• FIYAH Literary Magazine of Black Speculative Fiction, Issue 13
  • FIYAH Literary Magazine of Black Speculative Fiction, Issue 11, Summer 2019
  • Fiyah Magazine of Black Speculative Fiction, Issue 10: Hair, Spring 2019
  • Uncanny Magazine Issue 34: May/June 2020
  • Get a Life, Chloe Brown (The Brown Sisters, #1)
  • Ring Shout
  • Exit Strategy (The Murderbot Diaries, #4)
  • Rogue Protocol (The Murderbot Diaries, #3)
  • Riot Baby
  • Uncanny Magazine Issue 35: July/August 2020
  • The Haunting of Tram Car 015 (Fatma el-Sha’arawi #0.6)
  • Clap When You Land
  • Illuminae (The Illuminae Files, #1)
  • Network Effect (The Murderbot Diaries, #5)
  • I'm Still Here: Black Dignity in a World Made for Whiteness
  • Uncanny Magazine Issue 33: March/April 2020
  • The Empress of Salt and Fortune (The Singing Hills Cycle, #1)
  • Uncanny Magazine Issue 32: January/February 2020
If imagination was a mutant power, DaVaun Sanders could have enrolled at 1407 Graymalkin Lane. Instead, he went the safe route and earned a Bachelor's degree from Washington University in St. Louis in 2002. He eventually acquiesced to the student loan gods and took up architecture in Phoenix. Yet his passion for the field faded as he spent more free time writing and performing spoken word poetry.

T