Start by marking “Humans” as Want to Read:
Humans

Humans

Brandon Stanton’s Humans is a book that connects readers as global citizens at a time when erecting more borders is the order of the day. It shows us the entire world, one story at a time . . .

Brandon Stanton’s Humans – his most moving and compelling book to date – shows us the world. After five years of traveling the globe, the creator of Humans of New York brings people
Published October 6th 2020

To ask other readers questions about Humans, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Humans

Start your review of Humans
emma
i may hate everyone, but i do love people.

and that makes sense to me.

Anna Avian
Oct 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I loved every little (and not so little) story in this book. I couldn't put it down. So many beautiful and strong people with different experiences, fears, struggles. We are all so much more alike than we realize. We are all connected through our feelings of joy, happiness, loss and pain. We all feel lost and rejected sometimes and wish for someone to reach out, to listen, to empathize and make us fell a little less alone. We could all use more love and kindness in this world. ...more
Rachael Marsceau
Oct 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
So much of this was heartbreaking. I am so ashamed of how much I complain when there is so much genuine suffering in the world. We don't know how good we have it. ...more
BrocheAroe
Jun 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
What is beautiful about HUMANS is that it simultaneously has nothing to do with its creator, and yet it is 100% a reflection and result of the man behind the images and stories this book contains.

Brandon Stanton share his connection to each person included in HUMANS with each person reading the book, and in that way we are all connected to, learning from, and empathizing with each other all around the world.
Brandon Blevins
If I could recommend only one book to someone it would be this one. You’ll read about hundreds of stories from people all across the world from all kinds of backgrounds, races, religions, ideologies.
No politics, no wars, no us vs them.
It’s raw vulnerable human emotions and stories. It’s ugly, it’s beautiful, it’s heartbreaking, it’s uplifting, IT’S REAL.

Any emotion you can think of you’ll experience when reading this book. It changed my perspective on not only the people around me but how I v
Jeanne
Jan 03, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reading Humans, it's easy to understand why Brandon Stanton's Facebook page and books are so popular: his people are open in their photos and disclosing of the good, bad, and ugly in their lives. They tell of their struggles with suicide or drugs – and fears that they will go back there. They describe their love for their spouses, children, or their parents – and sometimes how they have needed to step back from them.

There are many photos and stories from New York (not surprisingly), but his dus
Effie Moss
Oct 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
There is nothing more humbling than listening to another’s story. Brendon has created a brilliant masterpiece, compiled of real, human stories, spanning across the world.

When I received my copy, I sat down and read it through, each story a stark reminder that you can never really understand the life that hides behind the eyes of anybody you meet. But you can take a moment to stop, to listen and appreciate how incredibly special and even magical every single person is - even if they can’t always
Elizabeth O
Dec 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
So beautiful. I want everyone on earth to read it. The photos and short paragraphs bring pain, hope, humor, tragedy, gratitude, success, and everything in between. I feel more connected to humanity and more empathetic to my fellow humans. There are so many stories aside from our own that we will never get to hear. I've been a HONY fan from the beginning and am continuously grateful for the reflection and enrichment their posts and books give to me. ...more
Meg - A Bookish Affair
This book made me laugh and cry and feel a whole range of emotions with all of the stories it contains. This is a wonderful book for when you need a reminder that for all of our faults, humans are still pretty wonderful.
Patricia
Jan 25, 2021 rated it it was amazing
The only thing better than this book is the person who gave it to me :)
Ye Lin Aung
Oct 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a heavy read. Brandon decided to make this book about all the _humans_ over the world and I dare say he succeeded. I really loved the struggles section.
Neile B
Jan 18, 2021 rated it really liked it
I truly enjoyed these stories from around the world. This 437 pg book reads very quickly as most stories are just a paragraph or two. I follow HONY on FCBK and always look forward to the posts. 4 stars
Cheryl
Jan 31, 2022 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great big coffee table book. If I owned it and had a coffee table I'd dip into it every so often and it'd take years to get through. But as a library book I (have to)(get to) read it through in a timely manner.

Which makes for a much bigger impact.

These stories often move me. Not always negatively, of empathy for the narrator's hardships, but sometimes of joy when, for example, two self-aware old ladies admit to getting together regularly to judge people and complain about things.

The children.
Fern Adams
Dec 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a wonderful book this was and a genius idea. Loved reading it, the photography was amazing and the stories a good balance of human experience and emotion. Parts were heartbreaking, parts inspiring, parts funny and parts thought provoking. People really are interesting and surprising. A strong five stars!
Susan
Jun 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This latest title in the bestselling photojournalistic series by Brandon Stanton is definitely, as the song goes, "What the World Needs Now" in our very much splintered society. What jumps out at you about this stunningly expansive collection is how quickly you forget what race or ethnicity or age the subjects are; instead, you get caught up in their commonality, laid bare and shared generously with the rest of us. "I always begin with a struggle," explains author Brandon Stanton about the subje ...more
Cindy
Jan 08, 2021 added it
I don’t want to give this book an official rating, probably because it isn’t just one story. It’s everyone’s story. Whether or not you follow “Humans of New York” on social media, this book is still more than worth your while. It reminds us how unique we are. It shows us how alike we are. It has stories that are horrifying and inspiring. Stories that make you angry, sympathetic and overwhelmed. Brandon Stanton has a gift for photographing people and writing their stories. I loved it.
Nicolas Amortegui Marulanda
Jun 11, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction-tbr
The concept of this may seem silly and simple but it is so beautiful and inspiring.

Reading people’s accounts of different aspects of their lives was so entertaining and thought provoking.

Some were funny, some were sad, some were inspiring, some were relatable and some were very different to what I think but I guess that’s the point of it all. It was about our shared experiences as humans in the 21st century.
Omar
Apr 23, 2021 rated it it was amazing
This was incredible. Each page had a single photo along with a deeply personal thought that provides a window into the lives of human beings around the world. This really moved me in ways that's hard to describe. It's a very honest look at what it means to be human---a lot of that is unfortunately pain. Highly recommended. ...more
Joshua
Jan 05, 2021 rated it it was amazing
A book to read and re-read for years, always finding new insights and people to identify with. Pure genius: seemingly artless, but so cleverly constructed. My favorite of all the HONY books, maybe because of its global scope. We truly all are residents in the same neighborhood.
Melanie
Dec 10, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A little too sad for 2020, unfortunate timing.. We have enough heavy stuff going on...
blueisthenewpink
You look into the eyes. You look at the posture. The hands. The feet. Whatever they allow us to see. And read the words they share. Incredibly intense. From the one-sentence stories to the 3-page ones. The perfect editing - it is quite extraordinary, if you think about it, how placing two stories side by side multiplies their effect and creates something more than either of the stories could convey by themselves. And Brandon sharing his thoughts about the process, about what connects us all, fro ...more
Tamara Fahira
Mar 19, 2022 rated it it was amazing
Read this gem only in two days. We need more people like Stanton; willing to learn to understand and listen more. A book that open my perspective on other people’s live whose very colorful, unique and heart-touching. I’ve learned a lot. Happiness is simple for them.
Tamara
Apr 03, 2021 rated it it was amazing
I will never tire of these. I am so fascinated by books that can so perfectly encompass the human experience that I have an entire bookshelf devoted to them, and this one earned its place on that shelf.

For fans of StoryCorps, and for fans of humans in all their many iterations.
Wendelle
Dec 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: great
is this best book of the year? This is an open book into people's fears, regrets, aspirations. It's a masterstroke of genius on the author's part to lead an exchange with the question, "what are you currently struggling with?", thus presenting an open invitation for a confession or introspection that is cathartic for both the interviewee and the reader of this book. ...more
Jignesh Darji
Apr 06, 2022 rated it it was amazing
Emotional roller coaster

There have been stories that made me cry, laugh, giggle, suckle, chuckle and more. I haven’t felt these many emotions in such a short time.

In addition to the all the stories of humans across the world, Brandon adds snippets about his process of meeting people and getting them to share the most vulnerable part of their lives with him. His wisdom was something I also quite appreciated about this book.
Panda Incognito
This heavy, hardcover book collects many of the most moving and interesting images and stories from the Humans of New York Facebook page. Brandon Stanton incorporates photography and interview content from New York and from his global travels, and shares some about his experiences and approach methodology in short reflections before some of the sections. I really enjoyed this, and it was fun to see things that were familiar to me from following the Facebook page, along with other pictures and st ...more
Angela
The book itself is gorgeous. So heavy. Substantial. It even smells good. What's inside is equally weighty.

I like to play a game when I turn a page, where I cover up the location of the story, and try to guess where they are based on the picture. Then the text. And then I let myself see where they are. I'm almost always wrong, but it's because life is life and people are people, struggling or succeeding but living and surviving similarly, everywhere.
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
In 2010, Brandon Stanton first began what has become his Humans project. He took to the streets of New York City and approached strangers, engaging them in conversation. Stanton heard their stories and took their photographs, and the result is Humans of New York. Over time, he began to expand his range and travel the world, and the result is this book, Humans.

I loved reading Humans of New York and I loved reading this book Humans. The stories Stanton shares cuts through all the ways people are o
Tanya Mehta
Jan 07, 2021 rated it it was amazing
This book beautifully encompasses the complexity of life. Each story is so thought-provoking, no matter how long or short. I loved every anecdote and just couldn’t put it down. I felt such a range of emotions while looking at the beautiful photos and reading the captivating stories. Some stories made me tear up, some had me smiling, and all of them made me reflect how I view my own life. It serves as a perfect coffee table book that is incredibly immersive.
Bridget
Jan 13, 2021 rated it it was amazing
I read this over the course of a couple days - don't let the size of the book fool you into thinking it's a long or arduous read. I just fine people's stories fascinating, and I love Stanton's FB work as well as his other book HONY. There really is something universal about hearing people's stories and finding those commonalities. ...more

• The Honey-Don't List
  • Dog Man and Cat Kid (Dog Man, #4)
  • Dog Man: Fetch-22 (Dog Man, #8)
  • Dog Man: Lord of the Fleas (Dog Man, #5)
  • Dog Man: Brawl of the Wild (Dog Man, #6)
  • The Authenticity Project
  • The Stranger Diaries (Harbinder Kaur, #1)
  • The Near Witch (The Near Witch, #1)
  • The Murder of Twelve (Murder, She Wrote, #51)
  • To Speak for the Trees: My Life's Journey from Ancient Celtic Wisdom to a Healing Vision of the Forest
  • The Complete Language of Flowers: A Definitive and Illustrated History
  • The First Conspiracy: The Secret Plot to Kill George Washington
  • Girl, Serpent, Thorn
Art
See top shelves…
Brandon Stanton graduated from the University of Georgia with a degree in History. He traded bonds in Chicago for three years, before losing his job and moving to New York. In November of 2010, he started the photography blog Humans of New York. Today HONY is followed by nearly one million people, and is the fastest growing Arts and Humanities page on Facebook.

News & Interviews

Now that we’re halfway through the year, it’s time to check in on the 2022 Goodreads Reading Challenge, our rigorous annual initiative for book...
“Enjoy your life as long as you want, but the moment the pain becomes too much, it’s in your hands to stop it.” 1 likes
“It’s quite rare to find a person who enjoys being rude. Rudeness is almost always a reaction to stress. It’s a means of protection. It’s a shield.” 0 likes