Start by marking “Bloodsucking Fiends: A Love Story (Vampire Trilogy #1)” as Want to Read:
Bloodsucking Fiends: A Love Story (Vampire Trilogy #1)

Bloodsucking Fiends: A Love Story

(A Love Story #1)

3.94  ·  Rating details ·  59,118 ratings  ·  2,536 reviews
Jody never asked to become a vampire. But when she wakes up under an alley dumpster with a badly burned arm, an aching neck, superhuman strength, and a distinctly Nosferatuan thirst, she realizes the decision has been made for her. Making the transition from the nine-to-five grind to an eternity of nocturnal prowlings is going to take some doing, however, and that's where ...more
Published October 1st 1996 by Harper Perennial (first published September 1st 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Bloodsucking Fiends, please sign up.
Chelsea I read the second one first without realizing it. I think it stands on its own fairly well. If you have the option to read in order, though, I would r…moreI read the second one first without realizing it. I think it stands on its own fairly well. If you have the option to read in order, though, I would recommend it. I was having issues with finding the first book shortly after I started You Suck, so I just finished YS and now working on Bloodsucking Fiends.(less)
Julie Yes there is animal abuse - of two turtles.
Not the dogs though. …more
Yes there is animal abuse - of two turtles.
Not the dogs though. (less)

·  59,118 ratings  ·  2,536 reviews

Start your review of Bloodsucking Fiends: A Love Story (Vampire Trilogy #1)
Patrick
Apr 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Okay, let's cut right to the chase here.

I discovered Christopher Moore him about two years ago, and since then I'm pretty sure I've either read (or listened to) everything he's written.

I really enjoy his books. They're tightly written, clever, and funny, funny, funny....

How much do I like his writing? Let me put it this way:

Let's say I met Christopher Moore at a convention and instead of being the charming gent I know him to be, he turned out to be a total asshole. A real tunk.

Let's say he
Mario the lone bookwolf
Imagine Dracula as a female and watch how the reverse vampire fun works in a humoristic setting.

Moore is ingenious at choosing new character constellations to make fun of stereotypical archetypes of fictional and real events and persons, letting the protagonists plotlines, the outer world, and many running gags collide to always satisfying reads with superficial, but certain laughs.

He doesn´t, or just with Lamb, reaches the level of Robbins, Sharpe, and Ruff, because his intent is to write under
Sԋҽʅʅყ ƚԋҽ Wҽιɾԃ αɳԃ Wαɳԃҽɾιɳɠ Wαɾɾισɾ
31 MAY 2020 - Currently $1.99 on US Amazon Kindle.

Blog | Twitter

Read this with the MacHalos.

This is my first Christopher Moore book, and now I want to read all his stuff. It's funny and quirky and exactly my type of book. Jody is a newly-turned vampire and she meets Tommy, who becomes her human helper. He does all the stuff she can't do during the day.

Tommy also works at a grocery store. He is nineteen (Jody is twenty-six). He and a group of guys who work there are always drinking and playing wi
Jeffrey Keeten
Jun 02, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
MoonriseOverSanFrancisco3

C. Thomas Flood lands in the city by the Bay, fresh from the farming fields of Indiana, determined to write a great American novel. He rents a cot from a Chinese entrepreneur named Wong and finds himself living with five other Chinese gentlemen all named Wong as well. The Wongs are excited because they have recently learned that it is legal for two men to marry in San Francisco. Thomas has something they really, really lust for...American citizenship. Needless to say living with five men who
Heidi The Reader
Jody was attacked by a man who bit her neck and left her for dead in an alleyway. She woke up a vampire. What is she going to do now?

"(Jody) was twenty-six and pretty in a way that made men want to tuck her into flannel sheets and kiss her on the forehead before leaving the room; cute but not beautiful."

C. Thomas Flood wants to be an author, but where he comes from (Indiana) that's not an acceptable trade for a man. He flees to San Francisco to "starve in the city." After some misadventures with
Melanie
Sep 23, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction-i-own
3 stars from me. Silly, funny, kinda gross vampire story. I liked it. It's an easy read. I may just seek out the next in the series to find out what happens to everyone. Just what I needed after the heavy and serious book I read right before this.
Lyn
Aug 01, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Like all of Moore's novels I have read, this one is hilarious.

Could this be the first post-modern vampire book? Romanticism has been either thrown in the corner of the closet or all together defenestrated, this is nuts and bolts of how this immortal stuff works and mythbusting what doesn't.

Really, really fun.

description
Lance Greenfield
Christopher Moore has an amazing imagination. As I read Bloodsucking Fiends and, a while back, Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal, I kept asking myself, "Where do all his ideas come from?"

This story is both creative and funny. It is different to any other vampire story that you have read, or will ever read, unless somebody plagiarises Moore.

Tommy is the leader of a gang of oddball supermarket shelf-stackers. Jody is a novice vampire. The two of them form what one would n
Krystin Rachel
This reminded me of the campy vampire movies I loved as a kid: Buffy the Vampire Slayer - the original with Kristy Swanson and Donald Sutherland (for some fucking reason) - or The Lost Boys. Perhaps if I'd read Bloodsucking Fiends when it first came out in 1995 I would have a nostalgia towards the story, because I'm fully aware that the only reason, something like Buffy the Vampire Slayer is re-watchable to me is because I saw it for the first time when I was 8. It's not going to hold up for, sa ...more
Mercutio
Jan 01, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
An excellent book to write a review saying you didn't like it where like 8 years later people are still coming into the comments to demand you say you're sorry for hating this stupid fucking dumb bland garbage book made for trash people.
Brian
Jan 23, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is not your typical vampire fiction. Mr. Moore has written a novel whose protagonist happens to be a vampire, but the book is about much more than blood sucking! Unlike other vampire themed novels I have read this one attempts to take the supernatural seriously, and in making the outlandish characters and events of the text seem commonplace in Moore's version of San Francisco, the reader gets caught up in one heck of an engaging story!
"Bloodsucking Fiends" is the first novel in what is
Felicia
Feb 25, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: urban-paranormal
Very funny vampire novel. I love Moore' tongue in cheek writing.
Kara Babcock
L
Apr 15, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sometimes it helps to read a series in order. In the case of Christopher Moore, though, it's not always necessary. I read "You Suck" first, and thoroughly enjoyed it, then went back and read its precursor, "Bloodsucking Fiends." While BF gave context for YS, each stands on its own as a very amusing quick read.

Jody is attacked walking home from work and wakes up the next evening disheveled, under a dumpster, with one burned hand, and with a load of cash in a paper bag. She returns to her apartme
Cyndi
Jul 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Every summer my amazing library has a summer reading contest. One of the challenges is to read a book by an author who shares your initials. So I had an excuse to read a book by the hilarious Christopher Moore.
I love his books and this was no exception. A woman wakes up in an alley and discovers she's a vampire. She finds a hick from Nebraska who has moved to NY to become a writer. She needs a 'Renfield' to take care of daylight stuff and he needs to have his heart broken to help his writing.
Nicholas Karpuk
I saw Christopher Moore give a talk at the Tattered Cover recently, and having only read Fluke, I didn't really grasp the nature of his audience. The crowd easily tripled the normal quantity of attendees for that sort of event. His talk resembled a odd sort of stand up comedy routine, and every joke exploded through the room from the uproarious laughter.

For me I'd say a joke hit home about 1 out of every 3 times. His humor is consistently rather broad, he has the demeanor of a elementary school
AH

I first picked up this book because it had an intriguing cover. As I started reading, I realized that this was not your average vampire story. First of all, the characters are very colorful, the writing is humorous, and the vampire lore just a little different from all the other stuff out there.

Jody has been made into a vampire. She was attacked, bitten, left under a dumpster, burned her hand in the sunlight, and left with a shirt stuffed full of money. There was no vampire sire to teac
Faye
First read: 2006
Re-read: August 2015
The plot: a young woman named Jody is turned into a vampire by her would-be 'mugger' in the city of San Francisco. When she wakes she has to learn to deal with a lot of problems, including her new boyfriend Tommy, her mother coming to visit, and the fact that dead bodies are showing up wherever she spends the night drained of blood, though she's sure she's not the one killing them.
What I liked:
- The emperor of San Francisco and his two doggie bodyguards/henchm
Tim
Feb 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Well developed characters, plot and humor. The first vampire read I’ve personally enjoyed. 9 of 10 stars
jD
At first I thought I liked this because of the narrator's delivery of the off color vamp Urban Fantasy. But now that it's concluded, I am thinking I just really like Christopher Moore's twisted sense of humor and storytelling. The characters where a blast even down to the two dogs and the cranky cops.

Regretfully, this story was written quite some time ago as a trilogy but only one audio book is still on the market. My library carries the hardcopies but I am loving having this delivered via car s
C.T. Phipps
Sep 18, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: vampires
BLOODSUCKING FIENDS (A Love Story) is a funny book 90% of the time but when the humor falls flat, it falls flat. The premise is Jody is a 26 year old urban professional who gets turned into a vampire, only to immediately recruit a 19 year old would-be-writer to be her minion since she can't go out in the day. This is while she's being stalked by her super-rich creator and Emperor Norton of San Fransisco (mysteriously alive 120 years after his death), who is apparently a vampire hunter now.

The bo
Krissy
I just could not get into this one. The humor was a little OTT and not in a good way. Some authors can pull it off and some fall flat. This book is an example of the latter. I didn't laugh a single time through the whole thing. And the narrator was awful. Tommy sounded more like a girl than Jody did. Either that or a prepubescent boy. Plus he acted like such a wimp most of the time. I just could not take him seriously. I much preferred the author's book A Dirty Job. I will not continue this seri ...more
Athena
Jun 01, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: folks who enjoy a good laugh
Recommended to Athena by: I've totally forgotten … sorry ...
Shelves: humor, paranormal
Bloodsucking Fiends is a flat-out romp. I snickered, chortled, and yes, guffawed through the entire quick read. Moore writes with quirky ease, managing to seamlessly integrate the sport of frozen turkey bowling into a modern vampire tale featuring an actual, non-sparkly, quite threatening vampire lurking in the background of this modern tale of American romance, unlooked-for vampirism, and over-worked cops.

The perfect light read for summer, or any time you need a good laugh. Go for it!
DJ Harris
Mar 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Vampire Lovers and Humor Enthusiasts!
Recommended to DJ by: Vampire Research Project
sj
May 08, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: yorwtfiw
This was only my second Christopher Moore novel (and ZOMG I HAVE SO MANY FRIENDS that are all "OH, YOU MUST READ HIM RIGHT MEOW!") so there was a lot of pressure (even if only in my own mind) on me to enjoy this before I'd even started it.

I LOVED Lamb, mostly because it reminded me a lot of mid-Tom Robbins. This? Not as much.

I mean, it wasn't terrible, and I liked it, but if I had started with this book, I'd be in no hurry to return to his work.

But, FFS, every single time I updated my reading pr
Caroline Åsgård
I decided to read something light. This is a light, kind of trashy adult vampire novel.
It's hilarious and casual, and not by any means a proper quality novel. It sounds like I'm talking shit about it, but I'm sure it's meant to be that way. And I don't view it in a negative way!

A young woman (Jody) gets turned into a vampire, and she's left alone with tons of cash.
She realizes her life has turned upside down, and meets a young man (Tommy) she thought she could use as her little slave to do her b
Jane
May 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book has comedy and vampires so it can't go wrong.
The main characters are Jody who is turned into a vampire on the way home from work one night. Her discovery of what she is and how to adjust to it is very fun to read.
C. Thomas Flood is the other main character. His dream is to be a writer. He moves from Indiana to San Francisco to achieve that dream. He meets Jody one night while working at his night job.
Of course, this is just what Jody needs someone who can move around in the day time
Patrick
*3 and a half stars*
A fun read for sure. A bit odd and quirky
Wendy Bunnell
I am so torn about Bloodsucking Fiends I’m not sure what to do. First, I really like Christopher Moore and think that he is hilarious, which is something sadly lacking in most of the stuff I read. Even the books that are listed as humor. So, I’m hard pressed to bag on Moore. And then there is the excellent review of this book by Patrick Rothfuss, who is the author of the very excellent Name of the Wind / Kingkiller Trilogy who adored this book. I love Kvothe, so I’m tempted to not go against Rot ...more

• Hollywood Girlfriend
  • Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff by Christopher Moore Summary & Study Guide
  • Bloodsucking Fiends by Christopher Moore Summary & Study Guide
  • The Cure Hotel
  • Monster
  • Married with Zombies (Living with the Dead, #1)
  • Dare 2 Dream
  • Comedian Gone Wrong
  • Klaus #1
  • Seduction and Snacks (Chocolate Lovers, #1)

Christopher Moore is an American writer of absurdist fiction. He grew up in Mansfield, OH, and attended Ohio State University and Brooks Institute of Photography in Santa Barbara, CA.

Moore's novels typically involve conflicted everyman characters suddenly struggling through supernatural or extraordinary circums

A Love Story (3 books)
  • You Suck (A Love Story, #2)
  • Bite Me (A Love Story, #3)