Start by marking “A Secret of Birds & Bone” as Want to Read:
A Secret of Birds & Bone

A Secret of Birds & Bone

The spellbinding new novel from the bestselling author of The Girl of Ink & Stars, winner of the Waterstones Children's Book Prize.

In an Italian city ravaged by plague, Sofia's mother carves beautiful mementos from the bones of loved ones. But one day, she doesn't return home. Did her work lead her into danger? Sofia and her little brother Ermin are sent to the convent orp
Published October 1st 2020 by Chicken House

Start your review of A Secret of Birds & Bone
Danni Jervis
Oct 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Another beautifully woven story by Millwood Hargrave.

This reminded me so much of reading The House with Chicken Legs, with the story focusing on bone builders. Something that normally percieved as scary is wonderfully portrayed as normal, like the baba yagas.

Italy is a gorgeous atmospheric setting for the story and the characters are easily likable.
𝕓𝕒𝕟𝕒𝕟𝕒
I absolutely adore Kiran’s children’s books and this one is no different.. i can’t wait to read more from her
Dan Bassett
Oct 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Sofia lives outside of the city of Siena with her mother, brother Ermin, and Corvith, their pet crow. Her mother is a bone-binder, famous for her keepsakes and charms.
However, when an unexpected visit from a stranger leaves her mother shaken and not herself, Sofia sees that she no longer finds pleasure in her work...
When their mother is arrested on Sofia’s birthday, the children find themselves at the mercy of the city orphanage.
But not all is as it seems: children go missing, people won’t tell
Jennifer Ayre
Oct 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
This book is beautifully illustrated so I highly recommend you pick up the hard copy.
The story follows Sofia, her younger brother Ermin and their mother (and their crow). One day their other is arrested, and Sofia and Ermin are taken to an orphanage.
Here they meet a boy who shows them the tunnels under the city of Siena and they try to rescue their mother.
I was a tad confused by the magic system- there isn't a lot of magic included aside from the bone carving, but I didn't really understand thi
Dominika
Oct 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Kiran Millwood Hargrave is such a good writer! I really enjoyed reading A Secret of Birds & Bone. It's about a girl who's mother is very skilled at carving mementoes for people from the bones of their loved ones, but one day she doesn't return home. Sofia and her brother are trying to rescue their mother but in order to do that they have to escape from the orphanage first. With help from a thief they follow clues that lead them closer to their mother and the terrible truth..

It's one of my favou
Ali
Oct 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
As always, KMH's writing is enchanting. This atmospheric middle-grade novel is full of heart and adventure. A sheer delight for fall.
---
"Small things could change the world. She would never underestimate herself again."
Jaye Rockett
Oct 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I haven’t read a children’s book in years, but I adore Kiran’s writing so much I knew I’d be buying this. And as ever, she didn’t let me down. This book is intricate, beautiful and readers of any age will enjoy.
Sasha Zatz
Jul 30, 2020 marked it as to-read
aaah I am SO excited for this! I've only read Kiran's YA and adult but my sister adores her middle grade books so I need to get to them soon, and this looks just so wonderful!!!!!! :)
Beth Knight
Oct 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Another stunning Kiran Millwood-Hargrave magical adventure
Rebecca
Oct 08, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2020
Cartoonish disfigured villain who commits mwahaha evil.
Helen
Oct 21, 2020

• Pine
  • The Once and Future Witches
  • A Kind of Spark
  • Zombierella: Fairy Tales Gone Bad (Fairytales Gone Bad)
  • The Lives of Saints (Grishaverse)
  • The Wild Way Home
  • Orfeia
  • The Castle of Tangled Magic
  • The Beast and the Bethany
  • Ghosts
  • Bearmouth
  • The Bone Shard Daughter (The Drowning Empire, #1)
  • The Unadoptables
  • The Ship of Shadows
  • Here Is the Beehive
  • Eight Pieces of Silva
  • To Sleep in a Sea of Stars
  • Nothing Can Hurt You
Kiran Millwood Hargrave is an award winning poet, playwright, and novelist.

Her books include the bestselling winner of the British Book Awards Children's Book of the Year and the Waterstones Children's Book Prize 2017 The Girl of Ink & Stars, and Costa Book Awards- and Blue Peter Awards-shortlisted The Island at the End of Everything, and The Way Past Winter , Blackwell's Children's Book of the