Start by marking “Crazy Wisdom” as Want to Read:
Crazy Wisdom

Crazy Wisdom

(Dharma Ocean)

Chögyam Trungpa describes "crazy wisdom" as an innocent state of mind that has the quality of early morning—fresh, sparkling, and completely awake. This fascinating book examines the life of Padmasambhava—the revered Indian teacher who brought Buddhism to Tibet—to illustrate the principle of crazy wisdom. From this profound point of view, spiritual practice does not provid ...more
Published November 13th 2001 by Shambhala (first published January 1st 1996)

Leslie M.
May 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book helped me get through the dark days after my husband's sudden death. I started with Pema Chodren's "When Things Fall Apart" but found I needed something meatier. Trungpa is more of a wrestle for me: he irks me then suddenly cuts right through to the heart.

When I reread the book later, it didn't quite have the same effect. Maybe it's best reserved for the dark and troubled mind...?
Khansa
كتاب ممتع يتناول فلسفة الديانة البوذية لدى أهل التبت ونظرتهم للبادما سمباهافا كقديس وكمبدأ كوني وأسماءه وطريقة معيشته التي يقتبسون منها أصول طريقتهم وسيكولوجية البوذي. كما عرّف الكثير من الجوانب والأساسيات والطرق بطريقة رائعة.

صياغة الكتاب سلسة وجميلة وقد تم تعريف الكثير من المواضيع المهمة وارتباطاتها بفلسفات أخرى في داخل البوذية. وكون الكتاب عبارة عن ندوة فقد امتلأ بأسئلة المشاركين من الطلبة وإجابة المؤلف عليها وشروحه مما أوضح الكثير من الأمور ولكنه أوجد تكراراً في العديد من الأفكار سواء بما يتع
Apr 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: buddhism
This is my second time reading this book, six years apart, and it seems like a completely new book now that I am more familiar with vajra, dzogchen, and Padmasambhara. The book covers: some aspects of the crazy wisdom tradition, including questions by students and Trungpa's answers, relating to hope and fear on the tantric or crazy wisdom path , and the eight aspects of Padmasambava, the kind of original crazy wisdom figure.

As to be expected with Trungpa, his words are bright, provocative, simu
Heathen
Nov 12, 2010 rated it really liked it
A great book to read about Buddhism (a school of Tibetan Buddhism) if like me you have met too many passive aggressive westerner 'so called' Buddhists who seem to have no real clue and mainly use the philosophy to suppress themselves/escape themselves and the world. No sentimentality, no spiritual consumerism, no escape! Fascinating stuff!
Lisa Grant
Jan 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I've read most of Trungpa's books. This was one of my favorites. I'm now re-reading some of them.
Michelle
Dec 16, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: buddhism, non-fiction
This book helped me finally understand the attraction of Tibetan Buddhism. Full review: http://bit.ly/ZGbu7L
Will
Jan 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Edition 1-57062-984-7

Both question and answer die simultaneously at some point.

hopelessness is the essence of crazy wisdom.

When we discover that we have made some progress on the spiritual path, that discovery of progress is regarded as a hindrance to further progress.

17 spirituality is not really the path, but spirituality is a way of conditioning our path p. 17

The intensity of confusion itself demands its own destruction . . . You just let ego's neurosis commit suicide rathing than kil
Jessica Zu
Aug 04, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: religion
For those of you enchanted by Chongpa's teaching, please first read Heidegger's "on the essence of truth" before pouring out your fulsome adulation of Chongpa's wisdom. Just like D.T. Suzuki who sells Carus teaching as Japanese Zen, Chongpa is selling Heidegger (and probably a few other existentialists) as Tibetan crazy wisdom. I feel sorry that most of the Westerners could not recognize their own reflections in the mystic Tibetan mirror. This makes feel how education is crucial to any cultural ...more
Alex
Sep 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: food-for-thought
Always blown away by Chogyam Trungpa's writing. This is a very advanced book dealing with advanced teachings so I was lost for a lot of it but had enough exposure that it sort of tickled parts of my brain. This would not be a great book for those just new to Buddhism but those who have studied at least the Mahayana teachings and have an idea of what's to come, this is a great read.
mohammad Hawatky
Dec 10, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
الكتاب يتحدث عن شخصية قديس بوذي يدعى بادماسمبافا و هو الذي نقل البوذية من الهند الى التبت و الكتاب يحكي عن رحلته الروحية و السيكولوجية منذ أن ولد داخل زهرة اللوتس و حتى وصوله الى مرحلة البوديساتفا و هي مرحلة الاستنارة الروحية ... و رحلته التعليمية في أرض التبت و الثماني جوانب لشخصيته ... الكتاب مفيد لمن أراد أن يطلع على الفلسفة البوذية
Iremler
Feb 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Intense. I defintely recommend this book but, only after you've read a few others on Buddhism. Otherwise, it won't make sense. It's quite good though, a book that may get overlooked by others but you'll be glad you found it and read it.
Anthony Trahair
Nov 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Fantatic book. Loved it.
Duncan
Feb 19, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Great presentation of the manifestations of Padmasambhava.
لولوه  الرفاعي
الكتاب عبارة عن تلخيص محاضرة لشخص بوذي ، افكاره غير واضحة و متسلسله ، يشتت القارئ ، و مضيعه للوقت وشكرا :)
Matt Campbell
Jun 21, 2017 rated it liked it
This book was a little repetitive. However, it has me thinking about some new concepts. I had to wait to read this book for a while because I had a few failed attempts. This time around, I was able to finish it up, but still have some pondering to do on the concept of hopelessness.

Peace.
Seema
Jul 18, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
الكتاب مقلب! :]
Hollis Fishelson-holstine
Had a much harder time with this one vs spiritual materialism (I'll try again at a later time)
Gentil
Nov 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Great book!! Trungpa Rinpoche was one of the greatest XX century buddhist masters. You always get wisdoany of his videos or books.
Scott Rennie
Feb 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Amazing book, very insightful!
Bernie Gourley
Aug 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book collects the lessons of two seminars on crazy wisdom taught by Chögyam Trungpa in 1972. “Crazy Wisdom” is an awakened state of mind that was taught by Padmasambhava – the teacher who introduced Buddhism to Tibet from India. The two seminars consist of six and seven lessons, respectively. These thirteen lessons make up the chapters of the book. Each chapter consists mostly of a text discussion of the topic at hand, but with an interview at the end in which the teacher is asked to clarif ...more
Jim Parker
Jul 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I won't even begin to claim that I understand Crazy Wisdom but this book (actually a series of lectures with questions by students) gave me much to consider. The most through examination of Padmasambhava that I have encountered.
Justin
Dec 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A detailed and down-to-earth revelation of the eight aspects of Guru Rinpoche(Padmasambhava) as they pertain to our own personal spiritual development.
Justin
Apr 09, 2018 rated it liked it
I found cutting through spiritual materialism (also Chögyam Trungpa ) significantly more useful
Aimee
Painting
Jan 20, 2008

• Secret of the Vajra World: The Tantric Buddhism of Tibet
  • Dakini's Warm Breath: The Feminine Principle in Tibetan Buddhism
  • The Jewel Ornament of Liberation: The Wish-Fulfilling Gem of the Noble Teachings
  • Ruling Your World: Ancient Strategies For Modern Life
  • The Heart Treasure of the Enlightened Ones: The Practice of View, Meditation, and Action: A Discourse Virtuous in the Beginning, Middle, and End
  • Branching Streams Flow in the Darkness: Zen Talks on the Sandokai
  • It's Up to You: The Practice of Self-Reflection on the Buddhist Path
  • The Guru Drinks Bourbon?
  • The Words of My Perfect Teacher
  • One City: A Declaration of Interdependence
  • The Jewel Tree of Tibet: The Enlightenment Engine of Tibetan Buddhism
  • Everything Arises, Everything Falls Away: Teachings on Impermanence and the End of Suffering
  • Karma: What It Is, What It Isn't, Why It Matters
  • Hunger Mountain: A Field Guide to Mind and Landscape
  • Open to Desire: Embracing a Lust for Life - Insights from Buddhism and Psychotherapy
  • No Time to Lose: A Timely Guide to the Way of the Bodhisattva
  • The Diamond Sutra
  • The Lost Art of Compassion: Discovering the Practice of Happiness in the Meeting of Buddhism and Psychology
Vidyadhara Chögyam Trungpa Rinpoche (Tibetan: ཆོས་ རྒྱམ་ དྲུང་པ་ Wylie: Chos rgyam Drung pa; also known as Dorje Dradul of Mukpo, Surmang Trungpa, after his monastery, or Chökyi Gyatso, of which Chögyam is an abbreviation) was a Buddhist meditation master, scholar, teacher, poet, and artist. He was the 11th descendent in the line of Trungpa tulkus of the Kagyü school of Tibetan Buddhism. He was al ...more

Dharma Ocean (9 books)
  • Dharma Art (Dharma Ocean Series)
  • The Heart of the Buddha: Entering the Tibetan Buddhist Path
  • The Path Is the Goal: A Basic Handbook of Buddhist Meditation
  • Journey Without Goal: The Tantric Wisdom of the Buddha
  • Transcending Madness: The Experience of the Six Bardos
  • The Lion's Roar: An Introduction to Tantra (Dharma Ocean)
  • Illusion's Game: The Life and Teaching of Naropa