Start by marking “Paulo Coelho: Confessions of a Pilgrim” as Want to Read:
Paulo Coelho: Confessions of a Pilgrim

Paulo Coelho: Confessions of a Pilgrim

These conversational style interviews with Paul Coehlo, conducted by journalist Juan Arias, cover a wide range of topics including: Paul's being institutionalized as a young man for his artistic leanings; his kidnapping and torture by paramilitaries; his experiences with Black Magic and drugs; his epiphany at Dauchau, and vision of his own death; his views on the nature of ...more
Published May 8th 2001 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Paulo Coelho, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Paulo Coelho

Start your review of Paulo Coelho: Confessions of a Pilgrim
Ria
Mar 01, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Ria by: No one
A real insight into the life of the author which also sheds light onto the themes and reasons why he chooses the subjects of philosophy and life experiences to write about.
A very candid, frank view of his life and it reveals warts and all. At times he was not a very nice person but he has also done some good work in his life. Overall a very interesting read if you like the work of the author in general.
Novie Octavia
Jan 06, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: biography
If you are a fan of Paulo Coelho, you must read this book. Paulo Coelho tell everything that he can share to us. About his darkest life. He was a hippies, drug addicted, was staying in soul assylum (assuming this story inspired him to write Veronica Decides to Die), looking for God existense, his supranatural experiences which effect to his next life.
Dish Wanderer
Everything happens for a reason and one should believe and look out for signs. This simple precept from Paulo Coelho is so true and timeless. I had bought Confessions from a Pilgrim eight years ago at a bookstore since I love all things Paulo Coelho and wanted to read this one too. However, as all bibliophiles know, our to-read pile is so high, I never got around to reading this book until now. I carried this book with me when I travelled across the seven seas for my education six years ago and ...more
Roniq
Mar 29, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A bio of my Favorite Writer Paulo Coelho. Very good so far.
Chronicles his life as a Lyricist, Catholic, Atheist, victim of the Brazilian Paramilitary held captive and tortured, Confined to a mental hospital by his parents and His pilgrimage on the ancient road to Santiago. On loan from an out of state library, I had no idea that Seattle Public Library did this.. Very cool.
Noor alobaid
I've read half of it last year, then i stopped continue reading becouse it a studying crossed at that time so i should close every book other than studying books, : the book was so nice, gives info about life of paulo which was not soo easy he went through tough times in his life, and my admiration increased after knowing more about him gonna reread if and continue it, and currently i am reading his biography written by Fernando Morais, and i always enjoy reading about Paulo, and knowing from wh ...more
Wessel van der Merwe
Jan 30, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: contemporary
The life story of a man who came from nowhere, drugs, etc to be a great writer! Great stuff.
Rhidi Joyee
Jan 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"I try to humble before mystery""There is no reason that something I don't understand rationally should not be true. Mystery Exists."
I see religion as a group of people who make up a living body that develops and includes all its miserable and sublime aspects"
We put thirty spokes together and call it a wheel ,
But it is on the space where there is nothing that the
usefulness of the wheel depends.
we turn clay to make a vessel,
But it is on the space where there is nothing that the
usefulness of the
Kim
Mar 07, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love Paulo Coelho's books, so when I learned that someone had interviewed him and put it in a book, I didn't mind shelling out the $25 for a paperback.

Coelho has no doubt led a very interesting life - from writing hit songs, to being tortured by the Brazilian secret police, to dabbling in black magic and drugs. He is no less eccentric today, and no doubt no less interesting. However, I had a hard time getting past the book's structure and the translation from Spanish (the language of the origi
Uthpala Dassanayake
Apr 25, 2014 rated it liked it
First I must say I see Paulo Coelho simply as a good writer, I do not look up to him as some spiritual guide. However, reading this book, I can understand better how he has become the author he is. The whole book is written in interview mode. For a short article it is fine, but I found it bit boring after a while.
Lynn
Jan 28, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: biography
Yah, I liked this, because it's awesome to be able to put a face to the books I've been reading. To read about the author, and his life, gives a richer meaning to the experience of reading his books.
Primadonna
Jun 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
Oh so many questions and insights.

Unfortunately, the ending is a bit too abrupt, otherwise I'd give it 5 stars.
Ondi
Feb 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite writer ever!!
Sujaya
Jul 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A biographical pick on Paulo Coelho by Juan aris, an author who always reminds us about the other dimensions of life which have been long forgotten
A decent pick to about this loved author his past revolving around mental asylum, black magic, drugs,his battle towards them all
Mattias
Jul 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed it. It gave you a lot of great perspectives on life.
Saloni Solanki
Mar 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
just made me realize that in life .. nothing is just a cup of cake ... but wen u have a dream to follow whats is called a fitoorr .. u can reach to all the heights u have set for yourself!
its really touched my heart wen he burned his some writings but then , he is THE MASTER.
hatss off to his courage or the madness he had in his mind -- never to stop !
the books seems so interesting or its interesting to see what others have gone through and u have not , but in real only a true MAN can live up
ktouche
Mar 22, 2015 rated it liked it
its much nicer and satisfying to read This, (and
learn about the household known author
and realize the thoughts he has within
that generated all these popular books of his
have so much personal realizations, however hedonic)
than reading his pseudo fictitious autobiographies.
I got some good points out of this and,
incredibly and typically, its like going through our own lives reading about his life.
and that's what makes his books so popular,
he is just as common and shares just the same mindsets a
Alineh
Jun 12, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: paulo-coelho
Being a Coelho fan who have read all his books, I was glad to find this one by chance in a bookstore in Kuwait.. I loved reading it cause it makes you understand his life & the kind of person he was & is now, the way he sees & thinks about things & how he writes his books, inspirations & etc .. I believe its a must read book for all his dedicated fans, so they can get to know him closely/ ...more
Mansee
Mar 22, 2012 rated it liked it
I would have loved to give this book a 4 but somehow...I was wanting to know more of the author....i didnt feel like I know him well after reading the biography -- which according to me is a good sign for a well written one.

But for Paulo Coelho fans, it's a good read!
Kim Annabella
Oct 07, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biography
I find this man, his life and his works fascinating.
Laura Montes
read this after you've gotten into his novels. interviews.
Malathie
Aug 20, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: paulo-coelho
The life journey of Paulo and his amazing ability to mix up it with his life philosophy. He gets along wit the universe as well as taking the life as it is...which is the real way of living..
Lalu Fatah
Jul 20, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
one of the best books I read this year :)

so insightfull!
Mickygoestoschool
Mar 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
U were once my fav author until u wrote The Winner.., Aleph n Witch of Portebello...
Alice
Aug 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Agreed with everything Coelho said. What an inspirational man.
Helen Haines
Sep 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
Interesting reading and perspective of one of my favourite authors
Jessie Marshall
Sep 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Can't ever go wrong with Paulo Coelho. Was good to read about his personal history after reading his other books.
Paulini Mourão
Oct 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Very good, I think is the firts book of Paulo Coelho. Tells the history of his way to Santiago Compostela. You can understand perfectly the real Paulo, it's a book of teaching and really transparent.
Janice Raquela
Dec 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
After reading this I am able to put a face to the books I've been reading. To read about the author, and his life, gives a richer meaning to the experience of reading his books.
Michaela Vajdová
Oct 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
EXCELLENT!
Sudha Shree
Apr 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
Paulo is really daring! That's why his books transmit beyond words!

• Paulo Coelho: A Warrior's Life - The Authorized Biography
  • The Zahir
  • The Fifth Mountain
  • Eleven Minutes
  • Brida
  • The Devil and Miss Prym (On the Seventh Day, #3)
  • Adultery