Start by marking “Make It Bigger: (illustrated monograph on the design process and work of Paula Scher)” as Want to Read:

An outspoken voice in the world of graphic design for more than twenty years, Paul Scher has developed a worldwide reputation for her bold, modern graphics and her incisive critiques of the design profession.
Published September 8th 2005 by Princeton Architectural Press (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Make It Bigger, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Make It Bigger

Leslie
Apr 02, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I was expecting just a monograph (lots of pictures of design projects) and was surprised but happy to find a great deal of very blunt writing about the ups and downs of working for difficult clients and in power-struggle-ridden corporate hierarchies. Good read so far, and very surprising design work.
Lauren
I love it when famous designers share their stories, including bad moments. It makes me feel less lonely ;-)
Jenna
Jul 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
An inspiring collection of anecdotes and artwork from the career of an innovative designer. As design student, you don't often get to learn about famous female designers. This was such a treat! I am so glad that I took the time to get to know Scher's work. This book was a joy to read and will serve as a reminder to reinvigorate and reinvent my own designs as I enter the workforce.
Iancu Barbarasa
Dec 28, 2010 rated it it was amazing
One of the best books to read if you're new in the field or just want to learn how a designer's career feels like.
Samuel Octav
Sep 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Honestly, you don't have to be a graphic designer to read this--anyone can read it and get inspired and create something meaningful.

As a self-proclaimed and self-taught graphic designer, it embarrasses me that I haven't heard her name until about 4 or 5 years ago (totally my fault). This book is essentially a wet dream for every aspiring designer. Paula, armed with 3-decade long experience, shares her experience & advice as a working professional--from Office politics 101, How businesses wor
Viktoriya Tsoy
Oct 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: art-design, favorites
It was a terrific read. It truly makes Paula more human and not just a praised design celebrity. There's some great advice about the business part of the design world that many don't see until getting there. Paula has an interesting story to tell which many can learn from. It was a surprisingly fast read with beautiful reproductions of Paula's work along with some fun diagrams which Paula uses to describe structural aspects of design.
N
Aug 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant book which lets you take a peak at Paula Scher's thinking and activity throughout the years. Has lots of examples of her work as well as practical advice on how to deal with the politics of being a graphic designer. Absolutely love it!
R.Friend
Aug 20, 2007 rated it really liked it
Shelves: design, monographs
Terrific overview of work from one of the most influential and respected designers in the business. My only complaint? It wasn't big enough. ;) Scher's wonderful work easily could have warranted a larger volume.
Katie
Mar 05, 2008 added it
Shelves: design
i honestly think that paula scher (maybe along with tibor kalman for colors) is the first designer i was ever enamored with. when her public theater and stomp posters went up in the 90s, that might have been a seminal moment.
Meiqimichelle
Nov 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Loved it loved it loved it (and, naturally, while reading did actually have a client as me to 'make it bigger'). Great insight into what it is like to work in the design field, and in particular how to manage office politics. Full of quotes and kindness.
Ellen
Jun 02, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Paula Scher is the most influential woman designer on earth. This book shows why. It's a designer's monograph with real content and purpose.
Jun 03, 2008 rated it really liked it
Eye-opening look at design. Records to posters to environmental.
Wendi
My favorite designer!
Taylor Palmer
Sep 19, 2014 rated it liked it
There is some good career advice contained herein, but I got a bit bored with it.
Lisa
Jun 26, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone in the design field
it's nice to know that the most successful female gd-er the us has yet to produce hate her job at the begining...
Keight
Nov 08, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: women-writers
Tony
May 25, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: In-house designers
This book made me quit my corporate job because it was impossible to get through the layers. Ironically, I checked the book out from that same corporation’s library. Awesome.
Emir

• Layout Workbook: A Real-World Guide to Building Pages in Graphic Design
  • Design Writing Research
  • Design Elements: A Graphic Style Manual
  • Tibor Kalman: Perverse Optimist
  • Graphic Design: A Concise History (World of Art)
  • How to Think Like a Great Graphic Designer
“I just remember that everything looked the same-all style and no substance ” 2 likes