Start by marking “The Stories We Choose Not To Tell” as Want to Read:
The Stories We Choose Not To Tell

The Stories We Choose Not To Tell

Hope can come from unlikely places...

Angela is at a crossroads. New life and new death, discovering she is pregnant just as her beloved Obachan, Aiko, passes away. Paralyzed by the gravity of these two events happening at the same time, Angela floats through Aiko’s wake like a ghost.

Unexpectedly, Angela’s Auntie Pamela gifts her a box filled with family heirlooms, includ
Paperback
Published May 20th 2020 by Windy City Publishers

To ask other readers questions about The Stories We Choose Not To Tell, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Stories We Choose Not To Tell

Start your review of The Stories We Choose Not To Tell
Sara
Jul 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. We got such a personal look at the experience of living through the Japanese Incarceration camps during World War II told through tape recorder conversations between mother and daughter. I so appreciated all the female dynamics - sisters, grandmothers, daughters... the format is original and also classic. There’s a thread of hope throughout and we get to feel for each character. Highly recommend
Rebecca Heneghan
Jul 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
To me this book honors the history of incarceration at Japanese internment camps while teaching the reader about it at the same time. This book is about race and identity and the struggle to be an American within those specific lenses. I love the past interviews mixed in with the journals.
Mani
Nov 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
my rating: 4.5

When I first received an email asking if I was interested in reviewing this book I said yes as it sounded really interesting. However, when it arrived I wasn’t too sure if I would enjoy. But honestly it was an amazing read, and not what I was expecting at all.

This is an original fiction story that is written around real history. I found it really interesting and learnt quite a bit about the Japanese Internment camps. I didn’t even know they existed during World was II. I only ever
Sharon Clark
Sep 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
I think when I picked up this novel I was expecting more about the concentration camps on American soil during World War 2. Instead, I was pleasantly drawn into this study of familial relationships and racial identity.

Just as her Japanese-American family is burying her grandmother, or Obachan, Angela learns that she is expecting her first child. On top of this, her Aunt Pamela gifts her a collection of cassette tapes of a teenaged Pamela interviewing her mother, Aiko, Angela's Obachan, about he
Sara
Sep 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book was a balance between offering historical perspective on the Japanese Internment camps and a young woman’s struggle with her mixed race. Very relevant to the the current race issues today.
Karen Nevotti
Jun 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Ibrahim Oga
Dec 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
Family is a stage play. Every member is complimenting one another to keep the show going. Backstage is dark, full of secrets and unexpressed feelings. A lucky family is the one with the least onstage transformations. Every member coming to the spotlight with their baggages, revealing no much difference between the stage and the back, fully ready to find harmony still.
THE STORIES WE CHOOSE NOT TO TELL is an access into the theater of Angela's family. More importantly, it is an access to the back
University of Chicago Magazine
Kelly Fumiko Weiss, AM'05
Author

From the author: "This story, loosely based on Weiss’s personal family history, finds Angela at a crossroads in her life—one that will force her to truly examine who she is. Learning she is pregnant with her first child and losing her beloved Obachan at the same time leaves Angela adrift . Her disquietude only intensifies when her aunt presents her with family heirlooms, including recordings of Obachan telling of her time spent in Japanese American incarceration ca
Catherine Moya
Jul 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book! I liked Weiss' previous book, which was more science fiction, but she has the same attention to character and detail in this book. The subject was obviously very personal to her and the care she felt came through in the construction of the book. She used multiple narrators well to explore different points of view. She also used transcripted conversations to provide background and I thought that worked really well because she never relied on it too heavily, just enough to advan ...more
Kerriann Curtis
Jul 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The Stories We Choose Not to Tell by Kelly Fumiko Weiss was unputdownable! The story flows between the main characters which gives us the reader an intimate look into what they're thinking and feeling. While the story itself is fiction, the history and events that occurred in the book is centered around is all too real. Weiss includes an account of her family at Amache in the Author's note, which is definitely not to be skipped over.

For fans of contemporary fiction with historical elements this
Joy
Apr 27, 2021 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! As a Japanese American with a great-grandfather who was incarcerated in 1941 the storyline resonated with me.
Like the character Judith, I wish I knew more about what happened during the war. Like Judith’s family, my great-grandfather, grandmother and parents didn’t really talk about their experiences.
The author did a great job of representing the viewpoints of three Japanese generations; the struggle with identity and acceptance. She verbalized my personal struggles and I tota
Diane
Oct 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing

This has to be one of my favourite books I have read this year! What a beautiful moving story. I loved the main character Angela and her different relationships that she has with each of her family members.

Author Kelly Fumiko Weiss also includes photographs and tells her own family's story in the Author's Notes which I think make this book this book feel a lot more personal and special to the readers it is intended for.

Jaime
Jun 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
Rita Aksamit
Aug 23, 2020 rated it liked it
Stories of identity and the relocation of Japanese Americans during World War 11.
Joe Prosit

• Conversations with Friends
  • Once Rejected Twice Desired
  • Fate by Design
  • Caste: The Origins of Our Discontents
  • Triple Chocolate Cheesecake Murder (Hannah Swensen, #27)
  • The Henna Artist (The Henna Artist, #1)
  • Valentine
  • A Pride of Princes (Chronicles of the Cheysuli #5)
  • The Perfect Marriage
  • The Order (Gabriel Allon, #20)
  • A Burning
  • The Dilemma
  • The Book of Lost Names
  • Winter Counts

News & Interviews

We all want to spend more time lost in the pages of great books. That's the idea behind our annual 2021 Goodreads Reading Challenge! It's...