Start by marking “Don't Stand So Close to Me” as Want to Read:
Don't Stand So Close to Me

Don't Stand So Close to Me

Thirteen-year-old Quinn and her friends can't believe their luck when spring break is extended an extra two weeks—even if it's because of some virus. But when the impact of the worldwide COVID-19 pandemic becomes apparent, everyone, not just the students, has to learn to adjust to their new reality. Quinn’s father is an ER doctor and has to self-isolate to protect his fami ...more
Kindle Edition
Published September 22nd 2020

Start your review of Don't Stand So Close to Me
Tina
***Now Available***

This is a middle grade. This is a middle grade short book about covid-19. I think this is a great book to help kids understand what covid-19 is, and I also thinks it helps parents/adults understand how kids feels about covid-19. This book is a great book for this time, and I really love it. I was kindly provided an e-copy of this book by the publisher or author (Eric Walters) via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review , and I want to send a big Thank you to them for that.
Literary Soirée
Jul 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
An engaging story for middle grade readers about the early days of COVID-19. Captures the pandemic from the POV of teens at first ecstatic to have Spring Break extended, then bored when school goes online and they can’t hang out with friends.

The ER doc dad of main character Quinn confirms the many virus deaths at his hospital. But the full COVID tragedy unfolds unseen, making this less scary for kids living the real deal.

The story ends with hope, as Quinn pulls off a joyful safe-distancing dan
Donna Hines
Sep 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cloud-library
Pandemics, contagions, hospitalizations, the fear, the anxiety, the mixed bag of emotions; is all relevant today and this new work addresses those concerns.
The clarity of this one, the raw appeal, and the discussion it brings was worth it to read even for adults as it portrays the challenging times we all face and the need to be transparent with one another.
We cannot conquer the issues if we don't address them nor if we're not follow proper guidelines be it by CDC or from our own President.
This
♠ TABI⁷ ♠
Jul 08, 2020 marked it as to-read
Shelves: netgalley
how can you NOT read a book like this in this particular day and age??
Jenny
Jul 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
4.5 ⭐️

This book is a much needed little gem.

Things have been hard for everyone since the beginning of this pandemic. Some people lost their jobs, others learned to work from home, and others have been working more and more hours as the virus progresses. And kids and teens learned school 2.0.

This book isn't polished. It's a bit too academic at times, and it comes off as dry every now and then when the characters lose themselves in the explanations about "flattening the curve" and "exponential tra
Erin Mendoza
Jul 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
This short MG book was written during the pandemic ABOUT the pandemic. The main character is an 8th grader, Quinny, whose dad is an ER doctor. Her and her friends ride the Coronacoaster of emotions while they go through Spring Break being extended (yay!) to virtual school (ew, zooms) to non essential businesses closing and protests. This book is very easy to connect to- we're all living it.
I think this book could be a great way to process how they're feeling during this unprecedented time.
Thanks
Ms. Caliendo
Jul 18, 2020 rated it liked it
Maybe it’s the timing of this for me, but this MG book is hitting me hard, especially with all of the uncertainty and fear of going back to school.

I appreciated the father’s role in this story, and the musical choices were so good. But I wanted more character development, more emotion, to care about these characters behind my own emotional response to COVID. I wish my own students followed the socially distancing and mask rules like these students.
Caroline Craig David
Jul 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is the best book for middle grade kids to come to grips with what is happening in the world right now. I appreciate how quickly this has been written. I hope this book brings comfort to kids going through this unprecedented time!
Matthew
Jul 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc-s
I have an incredibly long and amazing history with the books of Eric Walters. I have quite literally grown up alongside his books, and he is without question, my all-time favourite author. "Don't Stand So Close to Me" is his latest release, and I was both ecstatic and absolutely honoured to receive an e-ARC copy from Orca Book Publishers via NetGalley, in exchange for an honest review.

The story of "Don't Stand So Close to Me" is told from the perspective of the character Quinn, a girl in Grade 8
Kathie
Jun 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
Timely, relatable, and inspiring, I think this book is an excellent resource for teachers to use in the classroom to generate discussion. It touches on many aspects of the pandemic and its impact on teens. I loved its hopeful tone, and would love to see a sequel as the future unfolds.
Kim
Jun 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Walters is one of my go-to authors. So excited to share this with my students.
Tina
Jun 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Can't wait to share it with my class! ...more
Curtis Lowton
Aug 21, 2020 rated it liked it
Eric Walters’ new e-book Don’t Stand So Close to Me is about a group of grade 8 friends dealing with the uncertainty of COVID-19 as it transforms their social lives, their sense of safety, and their education. The main character Quinn shows great initiative and assertiveness as she looks for ways to inspire her classmates and community during the pandemic.

In spite of its subject matter, the plot loiters in the safe lane: things never get too heavy or go too deep. While this might weaken the long

Julie (Struck by Stories)
Before I begin this review, I would like to address that this book (if you haven’t already picked up on it!) is about the COVID-19 pandemic, and therefore may be triggering to some readers.

What I Liked:

• When I requested this book on Netgalley, I was so, so worried that it would be depressing, since, really, what about COVID-19 hasn’t been depressing? However, at least to me, that couldn’t have been farther from the truth. At its core was a touching (he, he, see what I did there!) message to chi
Sue Slade
Nov 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
Don't Stand So Close To Me is a short middle-grade fictional story that accurately records events at the beginning of the Covid-19 Outbreak as it affected a 13-year-old girl. The story begins right before March Break when the kids find out that March Break has been extended. The story helpfully explains Covid-19 & flattening the curve to help the reader understand in the simplest terms. It gives a look at what life was like during that time and will help future generations understand what we wen ...more
Janet
Jul 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
When life for the entire universe and planet turns on its end and like everyone else you "have nothing to do" while your place of work is closed and you are continuing to be in #COVID19 #socialisolation, superspeed readers like me can read 250+ pages/hour, so yes, I have read the book … and many more today. And it is way too hot to go outside, so why not sit in from of the blasting a/c and read and review books?? BTW - stay home and save lives!!!!!!!! No tan is worth dying for.

I requested and re
Lara
Oct 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"After dinner lots of people went out for a stroll - little family groups - or sat on their porches or in their driveways, talking to the people passing by. Everyone seemed extra friendly. Isaac and I met every night on our driveways at seven fifteen. We sat out for as long as we felt like. Sometimes it was until after dark."

"Don't underestimate what you did. It was much more than a dance. I don't know how you pulled it off, but for a few hours, during these very strange times, you gave a bunch
Natasha | readalongwithnat
I received a free digital copy from Netgalley and Orca Book Publishers in exchange for my honest review.

Let me just start off by saying it is truly weird to read about COVID-19 in a book while we are still very much living in this pandemic. It'll be interesting to see what other books come out of this season.

This middle grade novel does a great job of explaining the pandemic and the reasoning behind social distancing and the concept of flattening the curve. I really enjoyed the ending and seeing
Jaynie
Jul 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
Eighth Grader Quinn and her friends are surprised when their school principal holds an emergency assembly two days before spring break, announcing that their vacation is extended due to COVID-19. Although she has heard her dad, an emergency room doctor, talk about the virus, she didn’t think it would actually disrupt school. At first Quinn and her friends, Isaac and Reese, look forward to watching Netflix and playing video games all day, but the free time and social distancing gets old quickly, ...more
Aaron
Jul 12, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not sure I have ever read a book more current than this one. A very realistic portrayal of how a group of middle schoolers handled the anxiety and frustration of the early days of the covid-19 pandemic from the early dismissal of school for Spring Break to the realization that the rest of the school year is lost.
Quinn (female) seems to be a typical (sub?) urban middle schooler. Like all kids she deals with the loss full access to her friends, although there is a boy named Isaac that lives next
Alyson
Jul 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Quinn, Reese and Isaac are planning their school’s dance when there’s an emergency assembly announced. The principal of their middle school tells the students that they will have a longer spring break than usual in order to flatten the curve of COVID-19. Excited to have a longer break, the students and teachers could never predict what will happen next. School will be online, Quinn’s father (who is a doctor) must self-isolate to protect his family, Isaac’s police officer mother has to be away fr ...more
Ms. Yingling
E ARC provided by Edelweiss Plus

Quinn and her friends at middle school are surprised but delighted when there is an assembly to announce that spring break 2020 will start a day early and will last three weeks, but they are also a little scared about the Covid-19 pandemic. Quinn's father is a doctor at the local hospital, and to keep Quinn and her mother safer, he lives in the basement. Her mother starts working from home. Quinn's friend Reese is disappointed that she can no longer visit her gran
Becky
Jul 09, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
First sentence: “Isaac, could you please pay at least a little attention?” Jenna asked. Isaac looked up from his phone. “Believe me, I’m paying as little attention as I can,” he said.

Premise/plot: Quinn and her friends struggle with the changes that COVID 19 brings to their lives. Quinn is the daughter of a doctor. The book captures her observations in her home and in her life overall. It opens the day before their scheduled last day of school before spring break. It closes with a bit of hope--a
Jordan ~ booknook.sisters
Jul 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
This was a pretty quick read that kept my attention from the beginning. It is so relatable! I’m not a student but I remember when it was announced spring break would be extended, then business would shut down etc. It covers the ups and downs of living through Covid-19 in such a positive way.

I enjoyed the main character Quinn and her friends Reese and Isaac. While it’s told from Quinns perspective, you also get to see how her friends are handling the situation and it also shows how the adults in
Matthew Pichocki
Such a good book with a good underlying message. Creative plot. I loved it
Margriet
Jun 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
A good read for kids to help them realize they are not the only ones coping with suddenly changes in their daily lives and how Covid-19 effects everyone.
Meg
Jul 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, 2020, ya
As we are still enmeshed in the COVID-19 pandemic this book hits very close to home. The scenes where kids and adults talk about their "new normal" ring very true. The explanations of exponential spread and flattening the curve are appropriate and will likely help young readers understand the importance of social distancing. I especially liked the them of "we are apart but not alone" as evidenced by the kids making masks and having a street party.
This review is based on an ARC provided to me by
Donnamarie Marbet-Eckhardt
I was given an early copy of this book to read and give feedback to the author.

A fast read which kept me enthralled the whole book. Minimal dwelling on the details of Co-Vid but addressed in a real but positive manner. I loved how the social distancing and mask wearing were mentioned and handled. Not to give away the big event done by Quinn and her friends, but I must say a very caring and positive happening during this pandemic time. A light-hearted book touching just enough on this thrust into
Cynthia Parkhill
Jul 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
A short read at about 125 pages, Don't Stand So Close to Me offers young readers an entertaining and informative story about the COVID-19 pandemic. Conceived as an idea on April 22, it was a reality in eBook format just 41 days later.

Eric Walters does a good job balancing the need to tell a story, while addressing the concerns by teachers and librarians that prompted him to write this book : namely, that students were confused; they didn't understand what was going on.

(Learn more about the circu
Dyck House
Jun 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I accidentally bought it Kindle format. It's 120 pages long and I think it would be a good class study novel, based on how relevant it is to kids and the community. I got to the end far too quickly, but that's a good thing! I'll be buying the physical copy for my niece once it's out. ...more
« previous 1 3 next »

• Sara and the Search for Normal
  • The Barren Grounds (The Misewa Saga, #1)
  • Hatch (The Overthrow, #2)
  • Long Way Down: The Graphic Novel
  • A Thousand Questions
  • The Book of Longings
  • Class Act (New Kid, #2)
  • The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes (The Hunger Games, #0)
  • The Weirn Books, Vol. 1: Be Wary of the Silent Woods
  • The Bookshop on the Shore (Scottish Bookshop, #2)
  • These Witches Don't Burn (These Witches Don't Burn, #1)
  • Three Keys (Front Desk, #2)
  • Monday's Not Coming
  • The Betrothed (The Betrothed, #1)
  • My Riot
  • Girl, Unframed
  • Don't Read the Comments
  • The Supervillain and Me
Eric was born in Toronto in 1957, which makes him "real old". But, as Eric says, "Just because I have to grow old doesn't mean that I have to grow up!" In his many roles as parent, teacher, social worker, youth sports coach and writer he is in constant contact with children and young adults. He draws from these experiences and feels that this helps him to capture the realistic interaction between ...more