Start by marking “Helping Your Anxious Child: A Step-by-Step Guide for Parents” as Want to Read:
Helping Your Anxious Child: A Step-by-Step Guide for Parents

Helping Your Anxious Child: A Step-by-Step Guide for Parents

Most children are afraid of the dark. Some fear monsters under the bed. But at least ten percent of children have excessive fears and worries—phobias, separation anxiety, panic attacks, social anxiety, or obsessive-compulsive disorder—that can hold them back and keep them from fully enjoying childhood. If your child suffers from any of these forms of anxiety, the program i ...more
Published December 3rd 2008 by New Harbinger Publications (first published March 2000)

Heather
Aug 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really like how straightforward this book is. So far it is helping me and my daughter! great resource for any parent.
Stephanie
Jul 11, 2011 rated it liked it
Pretty helpful, although obviously intended for children that are a little older than I need. Will keep this as a reference guide and will definitely consider some of the ideas in this guide.
♫✯Em loves Hollenstein✯♫❤the summertime and butterflies all belong to your creation❤
fuck no. this is not how you deal with kids with anxiety. is this author a fucking idiot?
Mary
Jul 14, 2009 rated it it was ok
There were some useful tools in there, but for the most part filled with repetitive drivel to fill a book's worth.
Chris
Jun 11, 2019 rated it it was ok
Too bad. I had held out some hope that this book would be helpful, especially since it was “prescribed” to us by my son’s psychiatrist. However, the book really only addresses kids with one presentation of anxiety: the meek, quiet, and shy types—the “good” kids that are generally a delight to be around. This is not my son (even though he’s a delight in my biased eyes) and any mention of his behavior type in the book is either separated as a different type of problem or addressed with the typical ...more
Billy
Jan 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
It's probably a pretty good and useful book for parenting. It makes a lot of sense, and it's also useful to adults since anxiety is universal to the human experience. It puts a lot of ideas into simple words that a professional therapist might say to a child.

It's not really what I'm into reading, but my father read/marked up this book a bit when I was being raised (as a first born child from an immigrant family), so I figured this author had more than most of an impact in shaping who I am.

For mo
Caroll
Nov 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very helpful

My grandson is 4 and was having major temper tantrums. After an appointment with a behavioral pediatrician, he is gifted and high anxiety which caused the tantrums. Being so young it was difficult for him to express his feelings (frustration and fears) and it would bubble into a tantrum. By modifying some of the techniques in the book for his age, we have seen a difference. As the adults in his life we have learned much of the responsibility of his tantrums lied on the way we handle
Michelle Fouad
Dec 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
I especially enjoyed the workbook that can be downloaded to accompany this book. Though some of the chapters felt repetitive, the information was practical. It was also appropriate for a children of different ages. The suggestions of activities offered variations for different age levels.

Overall, it was an easy read that I found quite helpful.
Deidre McCormack
Jun 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Super helpful for us with our 9 year old daughter
Guðbjörg Steinsdóttir
Mar 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Practical and helpful both for parents and professionals
TamElaine
Jul 31, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-in-2015
I read the first edition - and thought it was wonderful. The methods and ideas helped me help my daughters tremendously. I wanted to purchase a copy for myself and found this second edition....thicker than the first, so before I bought it, I leafed through it and found chapters that irritated me....words like punishment, removal of privileges, time-outs, dealing with naughty behaviour. It was as if the second edition was written by completely different authors....not impressed. These topics don' ...more
Sara
Nov 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
This a great book to help with a child's anxiety. It teaches several different methods to deal with anxiety so you and your child can find what works best for them.

It is a lot of work on the parents part. Making sure your child practices and adapting activities to your child age level if they are too old or young for the way the ideas are presented.

Be prepared to work and to get your child interested in participating. If you are both willing to work you can make huge improvements.

My daughter
Diana Allen
Nov 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I found this book extremely helpful in dealing with my daughter's (10 years old) anxiety, especially if you print out the workbook that goes along with it. It really helped me understand what she is going through and how I can handle things differently. It also gave her some coping strategies (such as detective thinking to get to the root of the anxiety) as well as explaining what is happening when she suffers anxiety attacks. I realize after reading this book that I too have an anxious personal ...more
Stacia
Oct 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
My mom used this to help me with anxiety about 7 years ago and to this day I still use some of these methods to help me get through my anxiety and even extend the ideas to my friends. This book helped so much by changing the way I approach controlling my anxiety. I can hands down say I would not be as independent and in control of my anxiety as I am today without this book. I cannot say enough great things about this book!
Guinevere
Dec 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
I checked this book out from our local library, and I think it would be a good one to buy, actually, as it can take some time to work through the whole process. I think it has some great ideas and I really like the collaborative approach between parent and child - being up-front about helping and I expect that working on these issues together makes it ultimately more healthy for the child.
Holly
Jan 05, 2015 rated it liked it
This book was well written and had some good ideas on dealing with children with anxiety. It was geared more toward parents with older children. As my child hasn't even gone to school yet I found the topics and ideas far too complex for him to grasp. I feared trying this program entirely would just cause him to grow even more frustrated and make him feel like he had failed at something else.
Katy
Dec 13, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I learned a lot from this book, too. My dear, therapist husband said that some of my daughter's explosions could be from anxiety. This was the better of the two books I had on children and anxiety. It gave a great way of talking kids through their anxiety. It helps me when I get worried about things, too. I highly recommend it.
CarrieLyn
Jul 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
I got some good ideas from this, but no golden nugget solution (I guess I should have known better than to expect one). I printed out the workbook, which you can get on-line, and we are working through it as a family to address each of the kids' different kinds of anxiety. Maybe I'll change my review depending on how it goes.
Keda
Aug 23, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My 7 year old and I have just started the program. We have the kids workbook and we will do chapter 2 this afternoon. The program comes very highly recommended from other parents and health professionals so I'm really hoping it can help us manage our anxiety.
Apr 12, 2009 rated it it was ok
Not as enlightening as I had hoped...still looking for that book that will answer all of my questions about my child!
Anicar García
I haven't read this book yet. I'm trying to get it so I can finally read it
Ashley
Jan 25, 2010 rated it really liked it
This book has a lot of helpful information. Good techniques and exercises that will come in handy.
Ashley FL
Pretty useful and straightforward. Nothing new and earth-shattering, but a good, simple plan for using CBT with kids.
Melissa Henry
Jan 21, 2016 rated it liked it
***
-freeing your child from anxiety and the 'what to do when you worry too much' workbook are still the 2 best resources I've found for anxiety and young children.
Barbara
Jan 22, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Boring and not very helpful for us. It may be a great book, but it was too easy to put down.
Michelle
Jul 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
Note to self - buy this book when I start working with anxious youth again. Great resource.
Suzie
Mar 19, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: parenting
I really liked that this book had exercises that you could do with your child to help them learn coping skills.
Bobbie
Apr 18, 2019
Nina
Dec 07, 2016
Daddy
May 21, 2019
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »

• Freeing Your Child from Negative Thinking: Powerful, Practical Strategies to Build a Lifetime of Resilience, Flexibility, and Happiness
  • Parenting Children with ADHD: 10 Lessons That Medicine Cannot Teach
  • Anxious Kids, Anxious Parents: 7 Ways to Stop the Worry Cycle and Raise Courageous and Independent Children
  • Late, Lost & Unprepared: A Parents' Guide to Helping Children with Executive Functioning
  • Taking Charge of ADHD: The Complete, Authoritative Guide for Parents
  • The Self-Esteem Companion: Simple Exercises to Help You Challenge Your Inner Critic and Celebrate Your Personal Strengths
  • The Gift Of ADHD: How To Transform Your Child's Problems Into Strengths
  • Depressed and Anxious: The Dialectical Behavior Therapy Workbook for Overcoming Depression and Anxiety
  • Stick Up for Yourself!: Every Kid's Guide to Personal Power and Positive Self-Esteem
  • Yoga for Pain Relief: Simple Practices to Calm Your Mind and Heal Your Chronic Pain
  • Developing Talents: Careers for Individuals with Asperger Syndrome and High-Functioning Autism
  • Discipline Without Distress: 135 Tools for Raising Caring, Responsible Children Without Time-Out, Spanking, Punishment, or Bribery
  • The Anxiety Workbook for Teens: Activities to Help You Deal with Anxiety and Worry
  • Mindfulness  for Teen Anxiety: Manage Your Anxiety at Home, School, Social Situations and Daily Life
  • The Body Image Workbook: An Eight-Step Program for Learning to Like Your Looks
  • Restful Sleep: The Complete Mind/Body Program for Overcoming Insomnia
  • Creative Interventions with Traumatized Children, First Edition
  • Acquainted with the Night: A Parent's Quest to Understand Depression and Bipolar Disorder in His Children
“Third, and probably most importantly, anxiety affects children’s behavior. When children are anxious, they may freeze, fidget, pace, cry, cling, and shake. In addition, anxiety usually involves some type of avoidance.” 0 likes