Start by marking “The Night Will Find Us” as Want to Read:
The Night Will Find Us

The Night Will Find Us

In this supernatural thriller, six teenagers attempt to survive the horrors – both human and supernatural – that haunt them as they try to escape a seemingly infinite forest where far older, crueler things wait for them with plans of their own.

Rocked by violent tragedy during an end-of-school-year camping trip, six teenage friends – Parker, Chloe, Adam, Nicky, Josh and Nat
Published October 20th 2020 by Ingram Publisher Services

To ask other readers questions about The Night Will Find Us, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Matthew Lyons
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Start your review of The Night Will Find Us
Edward Lorn
Oct 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The last time I loved a survival horror of this nature was Scott Smith's excellent The Ruins. Same tone here, but a much different experience. I've enjoyed teens-stuck-in-nature books since then, but not as much as this one.

I look for three things when I read horror: pacing, character development, and dread. This book has all three. The book opens with a prologue that draws the reader's interest and then we're on to Chapter One where we learn about our cast of teens. Lyons managed to make all s
Ellen Gail
Sep 10, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: horror, edelweiss
There was some good stuff here. But it was never as good as it could have been.

I've said it before and I'll say it again; I adore survival horror - in a desert, on a snowy mountain, in a nightmarish forest. No matter where, I am here for it. Unfortunately the survival and horror elements in The Night Will Find Us were overshadowed by weak characters and a muddled plot.

The bones of the plot are nothing surprising. Six teens go camping in the woods, where horrors and disaster beyond their dreams a
Cameron Chaney
Oct 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020, adult, horror
My full video review of The Night Will Find Us by Matthew Lyons can be found HERE.

I very much enjoyed this fast and furious tale of isolation, cosmic monsters, and angry teenagers. If you want a book that gets right into the horror without missing a beat, pick this one up! It wastes no time to give horror readers what they want.
Andy Davidson
Jul 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
...Reads like a Stan Winston creature feature by way of Richard Bachman, with a dash of H.P. Lovecraft to boot. It's sharply written, mesmerizing, and propulsive. ...First-rate in every respect.
Emily
Jul 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2020
This is the book I've been craving since I finished The Hollow Places. Some excellent nature horror and genuine creepy parts.
Ashley Granger
Aug 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: creepy-af
OK, so this freaking book....

I started this book while my husband was putting my son to bed, thinking, "I'll just read a little before bed." NOPE. Literally every single time my husband tried to talk to me, I snapped out, "WHAT?!" because he DARED to interrupt me while I was reading this book.

I just had a double espresso because I got no sleep last night. Because of this book.

I can't stop thinking about this book.

Honestly, this book could have gone wrong in a lot of ways. There are so many creep
Amanda (spooky.octopus.reads) Turner
Unsettling, creepy, ominous...all words I would use to describe 'The Night Will Find Us.'

I certainly would not ever read this book in the dark woods of an overnight camping trip. It will have you looking over your shoulder and side-eyeing your friends, wondering which one of them may snap. Don't get attached to any of the characters, because in the end you will just be disappointed, but I think this is probably a good thing in the context of the story.

I have been hungering for a book like this
Taylor Zajonc
Jul 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Matthew Lyons’ uncompromising debut THE NIGHT WILL FIND US plunges the reader into disorienting madness as the physical rules of the world disintegrate before a slumbering, unknowable evil. Lyons' confident dissection of body horror and the secrets of those closest to us makes for a haunting novel that will keep the reader turning pages long into the night. Don’t bring this book camping unless you want to shiver at every rustle of the pines.
Gavin
Sep 04, 2020 rated it liked it
A tragic event during a camping trip set the wheels in motion for what could have been a brilliant cosmic/weird/body horror.

There are plenty of superb set pieces, Lyons imagery is quite brilliant. He has a style of writing I really enjoy and with The Night Will Find Us he has earned a fan cautiously anticipating book 2.

There are several problems I had with the story which is a shame. There's so much potential and I'd love to see this adapted and these issues addressed.

The core story for me is so
Jamesey Lefebure
Sep 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
I really really enjoyed this. Matthew Lyons has done an amazing job of creating not only very believable teen characters but the type you care about. If you want your horror with a lovecraftian bite, this is the book for you!
Zachary Houle
Oct 25, 2020 rated it liked it
In the city where I live — Ottawa, Ontario, Canada — Halloween has been cancelled due to COVID-19. No trick or treating. No candies for children. No spooky shenanigans or egging of houses (hopefully). The only thing that possibly exists to do is just dress up and get into the spirit of the ghoulish holiday. Of course, if you’re an adult, you can watch a scary movie or read some Stephen King. But there’s something else you can read: Matthew Lyons’ The Night Will Find Us. It is a genuinely creepy, ...more
Aina
Oct 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
A superb debut! I love survival horror, and the premise also hints at a slasher fest. But to my delight, this book is so much more than that. It ventures into body horror with a huge dose of the supernatural, along with terror of the unknown. I thought Chloe is an appealing protagonist and it was easy to root for her. Parker is a complex character living in the grey area but I sympathised with him too. Adam goes through a horrifying change and his interactions with the other characters provide t ...more
Jessica Laguna
Oct 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: october-2020

What happens when six teenagers go camping in the woods and awaken an ancient evil? If your guess is bad shit, you are 100% correct. This book had a great 90s slasher movie vibe and is perfect for spooky season. Honestly, don’t sleep on this one friends
Thomas Pluck
Oct 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
A haunting tale of teens who find an abandoned site of past evil in the Pine Barrens that won't let them escape, this a fun October read.
Amy Coles
I couldn't finish this. I got about 60% through it and just didn't care about the characters or what happened, so I put the book down before it could put me in a slump.
Emma
Sep 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Terrifying, original psychological horror. Cannot read to wait more of his work.
Melissa
Jul 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
I recommend it for a beach read, maybe not a camping read...

Very spooky!

This is a great addition to the lost in the woods genre of horror. The concept is unique and unexpected. The gore was sufficient and the ghost was scary. I wish more of the characters had survived their camping trip but in a great horror novel, you know to not get too attached.

Thank you to Matthew Lyons, the publisher, and Edelweiss for giving me a DRC in exchange for an honest review.
Kate
Chelsey Emmelhainz
Jul 10, 2020

• Cover Your Tracks
  • Don't Look for Me
  • Magic Lessons (Practical Magic, #0.1)
  • The Only Good Indians