Start by marking “The Great Dune Trilogy” as Want to Read:
The Great Dune Trilogy

The Great Dune Trilogy

(Dune #1-3)

Herbert's evocative, epic tales are set on the desert planet Arrakis, the focus for a complex political and military struggle with galaxy-wide repercussions. This volume includes the titles 'Dune', 'Dune Messiah' and 'Children of Dune'.
Published November 17th 2005 by Gollancz (first published April 1979)

To ask other readers questions about The Great Dune Trilogy, please sign up.
Michael The first three books were written relatively close together, are set within a defined time frame, and stood for a long time as a trilogy. After that …moreThe first three books were written relatively close together, are set within a defined time frame, and stood for a long time as a trilogy. After that publication break, Herbert returned to the series with the next three books, set in the far future of the original trilogy. (less)

Start your review of The Great Dune Trilogy
Jan-Maat
Frank Herbert's Dune was in part inspired by his experience working in a research centre in California studying desertification. The realisation of the interrelationship of environment, people and culture coming out of that experience is a key feature of the series. At the centre of the first novel is a desert planet, Arrakis, and the secret desire of its inhabitants to transform it's ecology. It is a great science-fiction novel about systems of power and the role of ecology, although admittedly ...more
Apatt
Oct 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: pre-80s-sf
A lot of people only read the first book, including people who seldom read sci-fi and people who only read just this one sci-fi book. The other two books are definitely worthwhile, especially the third volume (I have not read anything subsequent to the third book). If you are interested these are my reviews:

1. Dune
2. Dune Messiah
3. Children of Dune
Troy
Jul 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing
OK - let's cut through the BS.

This is - quite simply - the most magnificent Sci-Fi epic ever written.

The scope of Asimov's Foundation, the attention to detail and context of Tolkien's LotR, coupled with an unmatched visionary socio-ecological messianic narrative that is scarily relevant today.

Anyone who likes Sci-Fi and who hasn't read this needs to get a copy. And read it. Now.
M.M. Strawberry Library & Reviews
Although this is the first half of the Dune series, personally I think books 1-4 constitute a proper story arc, But heck, I recommend the whole series, not just the first three books :)
Hasham Rasool
The Great Dune Trilogy is an excellent book. I am really enjoyed it.

Looking forward to reading the fourth one! 🙂

Compare Dune to other science fiction films like Star Wars and Star Trek. I feel Dune is more mature as Dune's storyline is more depth. It feels like that Dune is more an adult version of science fiction than Star Wars and other science fiction films.

I also think Dune is unique in that it's quite philosophical. Also the whole story can be used as a political metaphor for imperialism
Dirk Grobbelaar

This is such a magical book for me. I’m not even going to attempt to write an objective review. I simply don’t have the words.

Yes, this rating is based on emotion and on how this book affected me and my reading evolution over the years. And, frankly, that’s the best way to gauge it, anyway.

Long live the King!

Mike
Apr 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
The Dune series by Frank, not the son, form one of the pillars of my dreams over the decades since I read the first book. Somehow the imagery plays out in my mind far better than the attempts made by Hollywood.
Unfortunately, I donated my original set, with the original covers, when I moved a few years ago - the new books don't smell the same and don't have the familiar paper feel I grew accustomed to while reading them during finals week year after year.
The blend of science-aversion, exploitatio
Mark
Aug 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
With this latest addition to the so-called Gollancz "Black Library", another classic has been immortalised. If you're looking for a lovely copy to keep, or for a gift, this one has much to like. The black faux-leather has writing imprinted in gold, and it is a nice looking copy. The print type however seems to be of old stock, and a little worn in terms of type - none of that precise digital typography here!

In term of the content, there's nothing too exciting. There are the three books of the or
Shimon de Valencia
Jul 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
The mythos the late Mr Herbert Has bequeathed to us either soaring eloquence of vision or just leaves the reader bored. I am of the former. This is mature, intellectual, dramatic science fiction,that still resonates as a warning about power and its dangers. I seem to read this every few years, and never tire, nor fail to gain a new insight. Simply put, glorious.
Nooilforpacifists
Jan 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: science-fiction
First book (loosely based on story of Mohammed) is second best SF ever written. Books two and three, inevitably, fall off.
Ciprian Pantea
As I love his style, the world he imagined is one I couldn’t live in. It’s not only the hole-plots that makes me say this, but also the madness of this world: religion, superstition and state. Putting it into a Christian perspective this world is exactly the opposite of Jesus. Muad’Dib goes into the desert not to find discover himself, but because he was ashamed and disabled - a failure. The harsh reality of the desert power comes into a contradiction with water, their life is mélange while wate ...more
Tina
Dec 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This remains, for the time being, my favourite series. The story is intricate and well developed and perfectly balanced so that you do not lose sight of the other points of view in the book while focusing on a specific character's story. I found this book to be the well of clear water that I needed so badly in a rather dry existence. I remember having read the trilogy as well as the other books in under 2 weeks time, therefore this represents a personal epiphany and these books shall forever be ...more
Jay
May 01, 2013 rated it liked it
The latter novels did not have the clarity of vision and meaning that the first does
Adon Coya
Aug 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A must read, not only by scifi fans, but also for its literature, its philosophy, ... - it's an ageless book for everyone.
Amélie
Feb 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
(3.5/5)

So. After nearly a month, I am DONE with the Great Dune Trilogy, at last!

One thing to make clear: I'm glad I read it. In terms of scale and cultural legacy, it wouldn't feel wrong to call this SciFi's Lord of the Rings. It's huge, not just in terms of page but when you look at the worldbuilding, the dynasties created, the plot that spans decades. It's also extremely interesting.

My main problem was one of taste: I'm not really into mysticism. As much as I loved the first part of the first
Simon Kao
Apr 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Quite an epic ride.
Joshua Tintner
Sep 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
Sebastian
To the uninitiated the Dune universe and its characters, plots and intrigues might seem inaccessible. And perhaps that is fair comment. The continuously shifting allegiances, uncovering of secrets and see-sawing fulcrum of power can be intimidating. Accompanied by Herbert's rather staid prose, Dune is not recommended as a primer for the novice or the curious, however, those willing to persist will be rewarded many-fold. That is not to say that Dune is difficult to read - it isn't. Dune is the re ...more
Liliana
Mar 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: science fiction, space opera, character-focused, spirituality, ecologists
Shelves: favorites
After hearing so many times that Dune was the masterpiece of Science Fiction literature, and seeing a new edition in the store where before I had seen none, I decided to pick this up. This took me some months to read, specially because it is very dense and in other editions just the first book is 900-ish pages. But it was absolutely worth it, entrancing and mind-blowing! Herbert succeeds at juxtaposing so many different elements: ecology, religion, consciousness, feudalism, space travel... gawsh ...more
Mike Willey
Sep 02, 2013 rated it did not like it
I know I am supposed to like this, but I didn't. I slogged through half of the first book and finally realized why I wasn't enjoying this at all. This is Game of Thrones in space. I just can't get curious about palace intrigue and hereditary nobility.

Like all good scifi (in my opinion) the scifi is background to the human plot. Unfortunately, this book doesn't have a human plot that interests me.
James
May 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
The theme of 'The One' that is so overly used in fantasy is applied to Herbert's highly original sci-fi setting. A few of the environmental themes still have resonance in today's world, together with the struggle over resources. I noted some parallels between the fate of Duke Leto and that of George RR Martin's Ned Stark. Some plot developments were a tad convenient whilst others were interesting.
Nathan Trevivian
Mar 11, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fun-sci-fi
This is definitely one of those sets-of-books that they should remake the films for! Frank Herbert injects so much detail into a complex emotional story line you can't help but be sucked in by it all. The ending is sort of sad, but then I haven't read the additional #4 or above yet! I'm a purist...
Donna Riley-lein
Dec 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
Dune is a planet of limits and possibilities. It is a place waiting for the people bred for its promise.

But it goes wrong. Or right. It depends on your perspective. Perspective, like the sands of Dune change with the wind.

Dune is a treatise on power, ecology and hubris. It is one of the books any science fiction fan should read at least once.
Stephen Pearl
Jul 06, 2010 rated it it was amazing
A brilliant examination of human politicks and potential. Also an exploration of the dichotomy of destiny and free will as Paul struggles to stem the inevitable tide of events that will rip human society apart. One of the best books ever written.

Sharon
Jun 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
These were really fun. As soon as I finished one I grabbed the next. I was sorry to see them end. Unlike most incredibly detailed books it didn't take me long to "get into" the story.
Ru Chung
Amazing exploration of society and the norms that have been established. Heavy read in the lane of Asimov foundation or Butler in the wildseed series.
I'd say one of the greatest books ever written.
Amy
Oct 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
First one 5 stars. Second book 3 stars. 3 book 2 stars.
Lee Penney
Jul 27, 2019 rated it liked it
Breaking down each book:

Dune - 4*

I was aware of Dune from the movie, which is one of my favourites (it’s well worth a watch, because the design team was clearly on something strong). I knew it was based on a book and I’d been meaning to read it for a while.

I actually have the first three books in an omnibus edition.

One thing that struck me is how closely the movie sticks to the plot of the novel, lifting lines and entire scenes directly from the book — not something that happens very often.

Where
Ian King
Jun 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Wow! What an adventure! This is a brilliant read and a well laid out story, set on the desert planet 'Dune'. A place where the universe is battling to control the 'Spice' found on this wretched land. This is a story of corruption, control and universal domination between various races who will betray one another at the drop of the hat. Whoever pays the highest price get's the greatest army, or so they think.
Baron Harkonnen thinks he has the new planet administrator, 'The Duke of Atreides', wrapp
Gerrit Gmel
No, it just didn’t work for me. I had hopes after the first novel, but the flaws just outweigh the strengths. I find the pompous language tedious, and the characters entirely unrelatable. The setting is beautiful, the world created is complex and you kind of want to get lost in it, but the story is just a terribly grandiose account of some rich families who use the rest of the world as their playground. It is all justified by some genetic superiority claim, but ultimately these characters aren’t ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
How good is this book? 12 53 Mar 29, 2020 05:20PM

• The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy: A Trilogy in Four Parts
  • The Foundation Trilogy (Foundation, #1-3)
  • The Time Machine/The War of the Worlds
  • Animal Farm / 1984
  • Transference
  • The Hyperion Omnibus (Hyperion Cantos, #1-2)
  • The Call of the Wild, White Fang and Other Stories
  • Stanley Kubrick's Clockwork Orange
  • Gulliver's Travels and Other Writings
  • Lest Darkness Fall
  • The Pit and the Pendulum
  • Hunters of Dune (Dune Chronicles, #7)
Frank Herbert was a critically acclaimed and commercially successful American science fiction author.

He is best known for the novel Dune and its five sequels. The Dune saga, set in the distant future and taking place over millennia, dealt with themes such as human survival and evolution, ecology, and the intersection of religion, politics, and power, and is widely considered to be among the classi

Dune (8 books)
  • Dune (Dune, #1)
  • Dune Messiah (Dune Chronicles, #2)
  • Children of Dune (Dune Chronicles, #3)
  • God Emperor of Dune (Dune Chronicles, #4)
  • Heretics of Dune (Dune Chronicles, #5)
  • Chapterhouse: Dune (Dune Chronicles, #6)
  • Hunters of Dune (Dune Chronicles, #7)
  • Sandworms of Dune (Dune Chronicles #8)