Start by marking “The Great Dune Trilogy ” as Want to Read:
The Great Dune Trilogy

The Great Dune Trilogy

(Dune #1-3)

Herbert's evocative, epic tales are set on the desert planet Arrakis, the focus for a complex political and military struggle with galaxy-wide repercussions. This volume includes the titles 'Dune', 'Dune Messiah' and 'Children of Dune'.
Published November 17th 2005 by Gollancz (first published April 1979)

Jan-Maat
Frank Herbert's Dune was in part inspired by his experience working in a research centre in California studying desertification. The realisation of the interrelationship of environment, people and culture coming out of that experience is a key feature of the series. At the centre of the first novel is a desert planet, Arrakis, and the secret desire of its inhabitants to transform it's ecology. It is a great science-fiction novel about systems of power and the role of ecology, although admittedly ...more
Apatt
Oct 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: pre-80s-sf
A lot of people only read the first book, including people who seldom read sci-fi and people who only read just this one sci-fi book. The other two books are definitely worthwhile, especially the third volume (I have not read anything subsequent to the third book). If you are interested these are my reviews:

1. Dune
2. Dune Messiah
3. Children of Dune
Troy
Jul 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing
OK - let's cut through the BS.

This is - quite simply - the most magnificent Sci-Fi epic ever written.

The scope of Asimov's Foundation, the attention to detail and context of Tolkien's LotR, coupled with an unmatched visionary socio-ecological messianic narrative that is scarily relevant today.

Anyone who likes Sci-Fi and who hasn't read this needs to get a copy. And read it. Now.
Freya
Aug 08, 2010 rated it it was amazing
The 'Lord Of The Rings' of science fiction, I started reading my aunt's battered old copies while stuck in America in the spring and found it absolutely wonderful. Intensely gripping, I enjoyed it so much I went out and bought my own copy of the trilogy. Incredibly dense and rich with detail, these books are totally unputdownable, and the intrigue will keep you turning pages for hours. Loved them so much I named one of my cuddly toys Gurney Halleck :)
Dirk Grobbelaar

This is such a magical book for me. I’m not even going to attempt to write an objective review. I simply don’t have the words.

Yes, this rating is based on emotion and on how this book affected me and my reading evolution over the years. And, frankly, that’s the best way to gauge it, anyway.

Long live the King!

Jenny
Jun 12, 2012 rated it liked it
I don't know why I was so determined to finish this trilogy - but I just had to know how it was going to end. If the trilogy was like the last 50 pages of the last book, fast-paced, full of action and startling twists and turns, I would have loved it. Sadly, most of the 3 books are focused on political debate, prophecies of the future, and spice-beer, spice-coffee, spice-clothes, spice everything.

The books felt a lot like Game of Thrones to me, but more inter-galactic and scheming rather than th
Mike
Apr 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
The Dune series by Frank, not the son, form one of the pillars of my dreams over the decades since I read the first book. Somehow the imagery plays out in my mind far better than the attempts made by Hollywood.
Unfortunately, I donated my original set, with the original covers, when I moved a few years ago - the new books don't smell the same and don't have the familiar paper feel I grew accustomed to while reading them during finals week year after year.
The blend of science-aversion, exploitatio
Shimon de Valencia
Jul 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
The mythos the late Mr Herbert Has bequeathed to us either enraptures or bores the reader. I am of the former, this is mature, intellectual, dramatic science fiction that still resonates as a warning about power and its dangers. I seem to read rhis every few years and never tire, nor fail to gain a new insight. Simply put, glorious.
Nooilforpacifists
Jan 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: science-fiction
First book (loosely based on story of Mohammed) is second best SF ever written. Books two and three, inevitably, fall off.
Apr 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, sci-fi
Dune is a masterful piece of writing, with a beautifully realised world - the politics, Arrakis itself, the people - all well thought out and plausible. I think what Herbert does well, is although the world and the people are alien, the reader can relate to them. I find too many sci-fi authors are so interested in creating exotic worlds and peoples that they forgo characters readers can relate to and as result, the stories miss that emotional hook.

In my opinion, Dune is the strongest of the boo
Tatiana
Dec 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This remains, for the time being, my favourite series. The story is intricate and well developed and perfectly balanced so that you do not lose sight of the other points of view in the book while focusing on a specific character's story. I found this book to be the well of clear water that I needed so badly in a rather dry existence. I remember having read the trilogy as well as the other books in under 2 weeks time, therefore this represents a personal epiphany and these books shall forever be ...more
Jay
May 01, 2013 rated it liked it
The latter novels did not have the clarity of vision and meaning that the first does
Adon Coya
Aug 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A must read, not only by scifi fans, but also for its literature, its philosophy, ... - it's an ageless book for everyone.
Mikhail Konstantinov
Oct 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Легенда! Затянуло с первой страницы, и до последней. Слушал аудиокнигу в машине, радовался пробкам, что можно подольше послушать:)
Simon Kao
Apr 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Quite an epic ride.
Tanabrus
Nel complesso un tomo affascinante, sorprendente alla luce degli anni trascorsi dalla scrittura di questi libri.

Dune, il primo libro, è... potente. Straripante, innovativo, precursore. Ci mostra la fantascienza fantasy che è poi entrata di forza nell'immaginario collettivo con Star Wars.
Un impero galattico di stampo feudale, un pianeta rigidissimo popolato dai Fremen (che decenni dopo ispireranno non poco Robert Jordan), una setta di donne dotate di poteri (ancora, Robert Jordan ma anche Goodkin
Joshua Tintner
Sep 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
Sebastian
To the uninitiated the Dune universe and its characters, plots and intrigues might seem inaccessible. And perhaps that is fair comment. The continuously shifting allegiances, uncovering of secrets and see-sawing fulcrum of power can be intimidating. Accompanied by Herbert's rather staid prose, Dune is not recommended as a primer for the novice or the curious, however, those willing to persist will be rewarded many-fold. That is not to say that Dune is difficult to read - it isn't. Dune is the re ...more
Mark
Aug 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
With this latest addition to the so-called Gollancz "Black Library", another classic has been immortalised. If you're looking for a lovely copy to keep, or for a gift, this one has much to like. The black faux-leather has writing imprinted in gold, and it is a nice looking copy. The print type however seems to be of old stock, and a little worn in terms of type - none of that precise digital typography here!

In term of the content, there's nothing too exciting. There are the three books of the or
May 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
The theme of 'The One' that is so overly used in fantasy is applied to Herbert's highly original sci-fi setting. A few of the environmental themes still have resonance in today's world, together with the struggle over resources. I noted some parallels between the fate of Duke Leto and that of George RR Martin's Ned Stark. Some plot developments were a tad convenient whilst others were interesting.
Nathan Trevivian
Mar 11, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fun-sci-fi
This is definitely one of those sets-of-books that they should remake the films for! Frank Herbert injects so much detail into a complex emotional story line you can't help but be sucked in by it all. The ending is sort of sad, but then I haven't read the additional #4 or above yet! I'm a purist...
Donna Riley-lein
Dec 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
Dune is a planet of limits and possibilities. It is a place waiting for the people bred for its promise.

But it goes wrong. Or right. It depends on your perspective. Perspective, like the sands of Dune change with the wind.

Dune is a treatise on power, ecology and hubris. It is one of the books any science fiction fan should read at least once.
Stephen Pearl
Jul 06, 2010 rated it it was amazing
A brilliant examination of human politicks and potential. Also an exploration of the dichotomy of destiny and free will as Paul struggles to stem the inevitable tide of events that will rip human society apart. One of the best books ever written.

Sharon
Jun 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
These were really fun. As soon as I finished one I grabbed the next. I was sorry to see them end. Unlike most incredibly detailed books it didn't take me long to "get into" the story.
Ru Chung
Amazing exploration of society and the norms that have been established. Heavy read in the lane of Asimov foundation or Butler in the wildseed series.
I'd say one of the greatest books ever written.
Liliana
Mar 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: science fiction, space opera, character-focused, spirituality, ecologists
Shelves: favorites
After hearing so many times that Dune was the masterpiece of Science Fiction literature, and seeing a new edition in the store where before I had seen none, I decided to pick this up. This took me some months to read, specially because it is very dense and in other editions just the first book is 900-ish pages. But it was absolutely worth it, entrancing and mind-blowing! Herbert succeeds at juxtaposing so many different elements: ecology, religion, consciousness, feudalism, space travel... gawsh ...more
Ian King
Jun 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Wow! What an adventure! This is a brilliant read and a well laid out story, set on the desert planet 'Dune'. A place where the universe is battling to control the 'Spice' found on this wretched land. This is a story of corruption, control and universal domination between various races who will betray one another at the drop of the hat. Whoever pays the highest price get's the greatest army, or so they think.
Baron Harkonnen thinks he has the new planet administrator, 'The Duke of Atreides', wrapp
Jan 24, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Since this was three books in one omnibus, I'll try to review each book...

Dune was very detail oriented and much richer than the other books. What was happening was straightforward, leading to a lot of the outcomes being exactly what the reader would expect even if they hadn't seen the movie. (That being said, a lot of points of the movie aren't understood if you haven't read the book. But I prefer to keep the two separated.)

Dune Messiah was pretty enjoyable, though it was a bit harder to follow
Jasmin
Nov 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
The thing about Dune is that the story revolves around a desert planet that's filled with big deserts with big and nasty worms, so it's naturally to this day still badly accepted by the society that prefers Star Wars and Star Trek kind of movies. But that doesn't mean it's bad, in fact, in my humble opinion, Dune Trilogy is one of the best science fiction Trilogies ever written besides Alien and Isaac Asimov's Foundation. It pretty much brings everything every science fiction buff wants to read ...more
Adam Mitchell
Mar 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
So so so often (99%) any on screen adaptation grievously disappoints the book! Now I was introduced to Dune first by way of the Miniseries in the early 2000's and I loved it and proceeded to watch Children of Dune (miniseries) and the 1984 movie! After digesting all of these I finally brought the books, and well- the screen adaptations are pale in comparison to the sheer vastness of the detail and soul that Mr Herbert instills into these Epics! Yes I call them Epics, with few equals! His imagina ...more
How good is this book? 10 46 Apr 04, 2015 06:06AM

• The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy: A Trilogy in Four Parts
  • The Winds of Dune (Heroes of Dune #2)
  • The Foundation Trilogy (Foundation, #1-3)
  • The Hyperion Omnibus (Hyperion Cantos, #1-2)
  • Methuselah's Children
  • Foundation and Chaos (Second Foundation Trilogy #2)
  • The Dune Encyclopedia
  • Jezebel's Ladder (Jezebel's Ladder, #1)
  • 2001: A Space Odyssey (Space Odyssey, #1)
  • Chained to the Barbarian (Palace Brides #2)
  • Lord of the Flies
  • A Song for Madame Choi (Slab City Blues #2)
  • Foundation's Friends
  • Snap
  • Foundation's Triumph (Second Foundation Trilogy #3)
  • The Science Fiction Hall of Fame: Volume II A (The Science Fiction Hall of Fame, #2A)
  • H.G. Wells: Seven Novels
  • The Ringworld Engineers (Ringworld, #2)
Frank Herbert was a critically acclaimed and commercially successful American science fiction author.

He is best known for the novel Dune and its five sequels. The Dune saga, set in the distant future and taking place over millennia, dealt with themes such as human survival and evolution, ecology, and the intersection of religion, politics, and power, and is widely considered to be among the classi

Dune (8 books)
  • Dune (Dune Chronicles, #1)
  • Dune Messiah (Dune Chronicles #2)
  • Children of Dune (Dune Chronicles #3)
  • God Emperor of Dune (Dune Chronicles #4)
  • Heretics of Dune (Dune Chronicles #5)
  • Chapterhouse: Dune (Dune Chronicles #6)
  • Hunters of Dune (Dune Chronicles #7)
  • Sandworms of Dune (Dune Chronicles #8)
“Enter no conflict against fanatics unless you can defuse them. Oppose a religion with another religion only if your proofs (miracles) are irrefutable or if you can mesh in a way that the fanatics accept you as god-inspired. This has long been the barrier to science assuming a mantle of divine revelation. Science is so obviously man-made. Fanatics (and many are fanatic on one subject or another) must know where you stand, but more important, must recognise who whispers in your ear." - Missionaria Protectiva, Primary Teaching.” 17 likes