Start by marking “A Time to Grieve: Meditations for Healing After the Death of a Loved One” as Want to Read:
A Time to Grieve: Meditations for Healing After the Death of a Loved One

A Time to Grieve: Meditations for Healing After the Death of a Loved One

A collection of truly comforting, down-to-earth thoughts and meditations -- including the authentic voices of survivors -- for anyone grieving the loss of a loved one.
Published July 8th 1994 by HarperOne

To ask other readers questions about A Time to Grieve, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Time to Grieve

Angela
Jul 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
This was given to me after a personal loss. It is highly recommended for that purpose, if you want to do something for someone grieving. There are one page affirmations of the thoughts, feelings, and circumstances of a griever. These include a statement that might have been made by someone experiencing grief, a usually applicable quote, and an examination of a way to look at the initial statement. There is no judgment. The "meditations" are neutral or positive. You can read as few or as many as ...more
Kelli
Dec 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: not-fiction
I happened upon this book in the bookstore, read a few lines and decided to take it out of the library for further perusal. I read the first 40 pages in one quick sitting and immediately ordered it. It is comprised of quotes by survivors, such as "No one understands how I feel" followed by a validating expansion of that feeling and a meditation/reflection to consider (or not). I found the book to be a smart, direct discussion that is sensible and helpful without being flowery or patronizing. It ...more
Dawn
Nov 03, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2012, other
This wasn't really my thing. I'm still giving it three stars, because I know to a lot of people it would be useful, it just wasn't for me. This consists of various statements, quotes, and meditations to help people deal with grief. It's sort of a loose format, and doesn't have to be read straight through from beginning to end. There will be a statement (something like "I feel so alone" for example), followed by a quote related to that statement, a couple paragraphs talking about the statement, a ...more
Yasmin
May 05, 2015 rated it liked it
A nice guidance and doesn't have to be read from cover to cover. You can pick and chose which segaments are applicable to your individual situation.
Jan
Sep 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was a lovely book of meditations that I found very comforting and helpful. Highly recommend it to anyone who has recently lost a loved one.
Enia
Dec 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Lovely meditations
MaryEllin
Jun 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I read this after my mom and sister died (in the same year!) and promptly gave it away to a grieving friend, and then bought copies for others who’d loved and lost. It’s that good.
Michelle Hart
Apr 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2015
Losing my brother was without a doubt the most difficult event of my life. This book has helped with the healing process. The format is a quote, followed by a few paragraphs to think on. Some didn't apply to my situation, but others brought me to tears because they were so accurate. It is not necessary to read the book straight through. There is an index to search for topics of more value to you.

From page 214 - "I have lost a part of myself." and "Even though I wish it were not so, that life has
Monette Chilson
Apr 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed these meditation and will probably revisit it as I make my way through this first year without my sister. Carol Staudacher certainly knows wherefore she speaks after surviving the unthinkable loss of both her husband and young daughter. Maybe I read it too fast, instead of lingering over each reading, as I should have, for it all seemed to wrap up so quickly. I wanted more raw time. More living in the carnage rather than finding ways to move on. When I read it, I wasn't yet ready for t ...more
Heather
Nov 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is a great set of meditations on how you feel when in grief and the best ways to cope with those feelings while still having them validated. I like the structure that includes real people's sentiments, thoughts and feelings, corresponding famous or helpful quotations and then a brief meditation to contemplate when you relate to that particular feeling on that page. Not everything included applies to you because grief is personal and different for everyone, so it's important to keep that in ...more
Nita
May 04, 2010 rated it it was amazing
The perfect book for those of us who've lost someone and who can barely read from grief. Organized according to how long ago the loved-one died. Made up of passages of a page or two that are easy to skim but still worth looking at. Each passage has a sub-title at the top so you can flip through the book and easily find the page that hits the spot of what you're feeling and thinking that day. Amazing healing available in this small package.
Angie
Oct 19, 2007 rated it really liked it
Good book... should've stuck with it the first time despite my initial dislike of the format. Second time around, I was able to appreciate the format and absorb some things. Some were good reminders of knowledge I already had but forgot instead of applying it to my own life. Quite helpful with grieving.
Marjorie
Jun 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Very helpful. Short one or two page discussion following a quote about a particular thought or feeling you may be experiencing. When grieving, it can be hard to focus and these short but poignant pieces let you 'find where you are at' in the process and read confirming and comforting situations of others who have been on a similar journey.
Jayne Flaagan
Nov 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Carol Staudacher's book "A Time to Grieve" has been a valuable resource for me. I lost numerous loved ones and it has helped me in my grieving process. The book has very short chapters which I use as references when I am dealing with certain issues. Each chapter also has helpful thought-provoking quotes. I keep this book by my bed stand and often refer to it!
Anne Palmer
Jan 10, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I read this after my grandma died and it was really helpful. It didn't necessarily alleviate and pain I was experiencing, but it made me feel less alone. I recommend this book to anyone who has experienced or is experiencing the death of a friend or loved one. In question and answer format, it explains what grieving is really like, and that you're not going crazy.
Jill
Jun 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
The structure of the book made reading very easy. It also made the book a good resource guide based on the short segments and index based on subject. I would highly recommend to anyone struggling with loss.
Paula
Jun 20, 2014 rated it liked it
As a bereavement support person with a hospice organization, I found this book to be a pleasant-enough collection of reflections for those who grieve, helpfully collected into three general "eras" of the grieving experience.
David
Dec 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Divided into sections, this book offers consolation and insight for those grieving the loss of a loved one. Helped me twice after the passing of my son and then my brother. It's a book I've given to others during their bereavement of a loved one.
Heather
Apr 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
Sometimes I'll only read one meditation, sometimes I'll read a few. A lot of times I'll skip the ones that don't apply to me but will come back to later. This is a good book to have and read over and over because each meditation has new meaning as you explore and experience your grief.
Christy
Aug 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
This was much needed when I bought it, and I imagine I'll continue to go back to it throughout the years.
I liked the fact that I could read only the parts that applied to me, and I didn't have to do a cover-to-cover. The advice is good, compassionate, and realistic.
Eric
Jan 27, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This is the one that you present to your loved ones. Accurate and helpful in times of reflection.
Sandra
Aug 08, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: christian
This is written like a devotion book with quotes, stories and reflections on various topics discussing loss and grief.

One of the better books on discussing loss.
Jacqui
May 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Great comfort
Mary Beth
Jul 10, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Whne you need more than just kind words from loving friends.
Judy
May 02, 2010 rated it liked it
to remember this book for recommending and re reading.
Deborah Clemons
Mar 06, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: those who grieve
This book greatly helped me while grieving the loss of my mother
Lisa