Start by marking “The Animal, the Vegetable, & John D Jones” as Want to Read:
The Animal, the Vegetable, & John D Jones

The Animal, the Vegetable, & John D Jones

3.7  ·  Rating details ·  74 Ratings  ·  5 Reviews
It was supposed to be a great vacation for  everyone. Clara and Deanie were thrilled about spending  time with their father now that the divorce was  final. But they're surprised and horrified at  having to share Dad with his girl friend and her  stuck-up son right in the same beach house! And for his  part, John D. Jones can't stand the arrangement  either, especially the ...more
Published August 1st 1983 by Yearling (first published 1982)

To ask other readers questions about The Animal, the Vegetable, & John D Jones, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Animal, the Vegetable, & John D Jones

Danielle
Jul 17, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 1980s, children-s
In this middle-grade novel from the 80s, two sisters go on vacation with their divorced dad only to find out he's asked his girlfriend and her son along. The son is writing a how-to book for children because he knows everything. (He is never bored because he always has the best of company--himself.) All the kids are super relatable in their attitudes and their bickering. Quick read, great illustrations. Gotta love Betsy Byars and her spot-on insight.
Aimee
Aug 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
Liz Gibbs
Oct 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: four-star
Two sisters are going on vacation with their divorced dad. It turns out he's invited a girl friend and her son to join them at the beach house. None of the kids are happy about it. The ocean drags one of them out to sea and as they wait for her to be found, perspectives change.
caysie
Jul 10, 2009 rated it liked it
I went through a major Betsy Byars phase in fourth grade. this is the only one I own, though. (I think I found it at a yard sale or a book sale or for free) I'd have to re-read it to give an accurate star-review.
Whitney
Jan 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
As a kid I thought John D. Jones's notebook was just the coolest thing I'd ever read about and resolved to begin doing that myself. I did not follow through, but fond memories of this book remain. A great little story about family and friendship.
Tara
Feb 25, 2015
Bree Flea
Mar 29, 2010
« previous 1 3 next »
Betsy Byars has written over sixty books for young people. Her first published in 1962 and since then she has published regularly. Her books have been translated into nineteen languages and she gets thousands of letters from readers in the United States and from all over the world.

She has won many awards. Among them are the Newbery Medal in 1971 for her novel The Summer of the Swans, the American
More about Betsy Byars