Jump to ratings and reviews
A thrilling, ambitious debut that will appeal to fans of Ayana Gray’s Beasts of Prey and Nnedi Okorafor’s Binti Series.

By day, Evie is an outcast, a half-class. Too dark for the illustrious light class, and too fair for the lowly dark class, she is forced to walk the edge of the street with her head down and her paperwork ready.

By night, she rebels, burning down municipal buildings and raiding shops with her fellow half-classes by her side. It’s a dangerous life, but it’s simple—or it used to be. When Prince Cass walks into her aunt’s brothel, life becomes more complicated. Evie and the prince inadvertently hit it off, and her fellow rebels see a golden opportunity. Having a girl near the prince is the perfect way to find out exactly what the king is planning for the half-class. And unfortunately for Evie, that girl is her.

Day by day, Evie grows closer to Prince Cass, who’s far more charming than he should be, while the rebels use her information to strike back against his father. But the half-classes are turning ravenous in their retaliation.

Soon, they'll want blood—the blood of someone Evie might be starting to love.

First published August 24, 2021

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Kayvion Lewis

2 books32 followers
Kayvion Lewis is a young adult author of all things escapist and high-octane. A former youth services librarian, she’s been working with young readers and kidlit since she was sixteen. When she’s not writing, she’s breaking out of escape rooms, jumping out of airplanes, and occasionally running away to mountain retreats to study kung fu. Though she’s originally from Louisiana, and often visits her family in The Bahamas, these days you can find her in New York—at least until she takes off on her next adventure.

Her next book, THIEVES’ GAMBIT, releases with Nancy Paulsen (Penguin) in Fall 2023. Film rights have been bought by Lionsgate.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
7 (7%)
1 star
3 (3%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 36 reviews
Profile Image for Cheyenne.
274 reviews17 followers
December 16, 2021
4 ⭐ CW: violence, descriptions of blood and corpses, racism/colorism, unwanted sexual advances, sex work

The Half Class by Kayvion Lewis is a new book from Parliament Press about a dystopian world with classes based on skin tone. I was so excited when Parliament reached out to me to join their release day team in September, because this was the first book I had ever seen have a mixed race black MC (who is also a bookworm!) In something that wasn't contemporary. For that reason alone, I probably gave this more stars than I would otherwise.

We follow Evelyn (Evie), a half class girl, meaning she's mixed race and considered an "Artificial Light," but the Artificials or half classes are marginalized and oppressed. There never used to be a class system until the God fearing Rylanders invaded the country of Morra. In this world darker skin ranks higher than half classes, but they are seen as lesser by the Light Class. There is a lot in here about not quite being part of either side and always being expected to be grateful for crumbs.

Evie is part of a group of rebels trying to end the class system and end oppression of half classes until the rebels start doing thing she doesn't agree with and because she has fallen for the Ryland prince, Cassian. First of all, their meet cute was adorable! They bonded over books and their love of characters! It was a bookworms love story for sure and had me squeeing the whole time.

I really loved the concept of this story, although it's a lot less plot heavy than I was expecting. From the blurb I was expecting more from the rebel group Evie was a part of, but it was more character centered and almost had a plot similar to The Red Queen, where low born girl pretends to be in love with royalty to get information and then actually falls in love. I wanted more from Cassian. I wanted Evie to press him more about his privilege and to challenge what they had a bit. The romance felt too easy for the kinda of conflict that were happening. I also wanted more from the world building, but I'm hoping these things will come in the next book.

It was a good read and I enjoyed Evie and Cassian, I just hope we get more depth out of them next book.
Profile Image for Alex Nonymous.
Author 15 books295 followers
August 12, 2021
Thanks to the publisher for providing an eARC of The Half-Class.

I can see some people not enjoying this because it's a lot less plot heavy than the description would make you think (also this is barely if at all a fantasy but the cover and description really lay into that) but I'm a character reader so I didn't care. I'm genuinely obsessed with how much time and care was put into developing the characters here. They were all real, likable yet flawed, and it was really easy to root for a main relationship born over a shared love of a fantasy series.
Profile Image for chelsea.
354 reviews139 followers
December 26, 2022
i definitely enjoyed that more than i thought i was going to. I'm also really surprised at the lack of readers on Goodreads. it was a decent story, and i wish more people knew about it.

I'm unsure if there's something wrong with my copy (ie, an early edition that's since been updated), but there were the odd bit of formatting and grammatical errors throughout the book. at the very end, it says "did you enjoy awakened? ... Hannah needs your help!". i guess the book title and MC's names have changed 😂 made me giggle a little.
Profile Image for Annette.
2,417 reviews107 followers
September 13, 2021
Usually when I go on Netgalley to see what books to request, I make a well thought out decision. After all, when I request a book from Netgalley, I want to be sure I can review it and will still want to read it closer to release date. With this book the thinking didn't take long. This sounded like my kind of story in a world I totally wanted to learn more about. Friday evening I started reading, planning on reading"10% a day", 3 days later I finished the book.

There are a few things making this book a must read. The first is the importance of the world and the class system. This is the kind of book where people who rarely see themselves represented get to see themselves and their issues. It's also the kind of book allowing white people, like me, to spend some time in the footsteps of someone less privileged than me. I really want to thank the author for writing a book this vivid, this raw and this real and to invite me to come with them.

Secondly I think the characters in this book are amazingly well written. And that's mostly because none of those characters are perfect. They make mistakes, they mess up. Sometimes they're not doing something when they should have. Sometimes they're doing something when it was better not to. Sometimes they go a few steps too far and sometimes they go not far enough. It makes them realistic, it makes it easy to root for them, to feel for them and to end up loving them.

Thirdly the book doesn't shy away from true horrors. Although the story is still suitable for young adults (especially if an adult with knowledge on the matter can discuss it with them), it's not sugarcoating this society, it's not making it easy for our heroine, it's not only showing the pretty stuff. On the contrary. It makes the book heavy at times, but those heavy moments are mixed with really cute and lovely scenes, portraying a sweet kind of love, and small glimmers of hope.

I hope that loads of people will give this book a chance. Yes, if you've read a lot of stories the plot might follow a known pattern, however, this society and these characters are worth reading it anyway!
Profile Image for Leighton.
906 reviews7 followers
August 25, 2021
Thank you to The Parliament House and NetGalley for this ARC in exchange for an honest review!

The Half-Class by Kayvion Lewis is an #ownvoices dystopian fantasy romance that will appeal to fans of Kalynn Bayron and Namina Forna. First, I have to praise the very original premise of this book. I've never read a YA fantasy specifically focused on mixed-race characters before. The plot revolves around a girl named Evie who is half-class. In her world, people are divided into the light class, which is comprised of white people, and the dark class, which is comprised of black or dark-skinned people. In the middle is the half-class, which are treated as outcasts and inferior by everyone. People in the half-class can either work as prostitutes, like Evie's cousin, or they can become someone's mistress. At the start of this book, Evie gets entangled in a love triangle. Will she choose the friend who has always stuck by her? Or will she choose the prince that waltzes into her life one day?

Here is an exciting excerpt from beginning of Chapter 1:

"Don't draw attention to yourself.
Always have your paperwork ready.
Remember your class.
Maybe during the day. Maybe most nights. But not this night.
I let the mantra chase me as we raced out from the mansion. Those words strangled me almost every hour of every day. But when I was out with the rebels, on nights like this one, they could never catch me. The pounding hooves underneath me beat the words back as furiously as they carried me forward. I wouldn't let them catch me."

Overall, The Half Class is an exciting, stunningly original YA fantasy romance that touches on real issues of white privilege, racial discrimination, and police brutality. I love when stories of fantasy reveal real issues that are happening in the world today. I am also so happy to support an #ownvoices author of color writing about characters of color. We really need more books like these in the YA fantasy genre. One highlight of this book is the main character Evie. I found her character to be extremely relatable, especially in how she geeks out over fantasy books. If I had to complain about one thing, I would say that the plot is pretty straightforward and predictable. I still enjoyed reading this book though. If you're intrigued by the excerpt above, or if you're a fan of YA fantasy books, I highly recommend that you check out this book when it comes out in September!
Profile Image for Inkstained.pages Inkstained.pages.
Author 13 books62 followers
September 29, 2021
The Half-Class is a thoughtful and impressive debut novel written by Ms. Kayvion Lewis. I absolutely loved reading it, and finished in a single sitting. The dynamic between Evie and Cass is off the charts incredible. The author did a marvelous job of creating complex, well-rounded characters, which made the delivery all the more impressive. Evie is a strong, beautiful woman that's easy to get behind as a heroine. As her relationship with Cass progresses, I found myself conflicted about my own feelings toward him as a character. It felt like I was living the experience alongside her:)

I highly HIGHLY recommend this book to fans of the YA Genre. <3
Profile Image for Giorgia.
275 reviews5 followers
September 27, 2021
*Review of Netgalley's ARC*

This book was simply phenomenal. The plot, the characters and - yes - even the tropes, were all perfectly constructed. Kayvion's writing is beautiful. It's the time of writing that flows so well you almost forget you are reading words on a page. There is a story and you are in the story.

My only critique is that classes are not defined from the beginning. It is confusing at first because I thought it was about magic, I only realised way into the book that we were talking about skin color.

Overall it was a great book and I HIGHLY recommend.
Profile Image for C.R. Hogan.
Author 1 book8 followers
January 8, 2022
3.5 actually.

I loved the plot and the characters (seriously Cass is a dream boat and I love him). However, the formatting was weird and there were editing things that kept taking me out of the story (words either misspelled or missing, spaces missing, weird things with line breaks in some places). I’ll definitely be going for the sequel tho.
Profile Image for AJ (buriedinbooks).
105 reviews29 followers
October 18, 2021
2/5 stars ⭐️⭐️
Thank you to the publishers and Net Galley for giving me a copy of this book! This is my honest review, all views are my own.
The Half-Class is a story of rebellion, defiance, and risking it all. In Morra, a country conquered by the neighboring Ryland, Evie is a half-class: too dark-skinned for the light class, too light-skinned for the dark class. In an attempt to free herself from the ruthless laws restricting half-classes, she joins the rebellion in trying to take down the king. Along the way, she meets and befriends Prince Cassian, which pulls into question her loyalty and love for the cause.
I’ll admit, I heard this book compared to Cinderella is Dead—a book that neither myself nor my friends enjoyed very much—and I was hesitant. That being said, I was willing to give it a shot, as I’m a sucker for royal romances! In short: I wasn’t the biggest fan of this book, and I don’t really plan on reading the sequel(s) unless I hear something extremely compelling, but it was kind of fun while it lasted.
The writing was pretty easy to read, and often times it reminded me of the kingdom dystopian novels such as the Jewel and the Selection in terms of its writing style and the royalty vs. rebellion plots. Surprisingly, this book didn’t have any magic, and was less plot-heavy than it sounded. For the most part, the focus was on building up the romance and the increasingly complicated relationships with Evie, her family, and the rebels. Cass had me geeking out because of course the author would write about a book-obsessed nerd love interest, but otherwise I was frustrated with every single character at different points. I thought it was infuriating how naïve and snobbish Evie was, which didn’t help when she always rambled on about how she would never want to work in a brothel or as a mistress, or made herself “not like other girls” by reading. I was angered at the extreme levels of aggression and slimy schemes I saw Luke conduct. I was upset at Kat for… well, being Kat. My list can and will go on. My point is that the characters were flawed and not always likable. I did enjoy Cass and Evie’s romance, and I was cheering for them, but I couldn’t quite get on board with the story itself. Also, the book heavily relied on racist stereotypes found in the real world, such as the light-class being the class that both half- and dark-class citizens deferred to, and dark-class people being relegated to construction and servant jobs, while the light-class was for artists and the like. It was a choice that made the story feel more impactful because it invoked the harmful situations in the real world, impressing them upon a fictional country to the extremes, but perhaps the stereotypes used were *too* similar to the real world…
Aside from the class system, this story felt pretty rinse-and-repeat from dystopian kingdoms such as the Selection. In addition to the basic plot, the characters were irksome at best and I wasn’t particularly enjoying this book enough to pick up book 2. 2 stars

Edit 10/18/21: Upon reflection, I'm altering my rating from 2.5 stars to 2 stars. I simply don't think I enjoyed this book enough to give it that extra .5 stars, and 2.5 felt generous in the first place.
Profile Image for Brianna Sugalski.
Author 3 books201 followers
June 1, 2020
I am so excited to read this. The blurb hooked me right away; what an incredible and powerful message in these troubled times. Amazing job, Kayvion! You're inspiring so many.
Profile Image for OldBird.
1,520 reviews
January 24, 2023
While the writing of this YA royals vs rebels forbidden romance was strong enough to keep me reading (and trust me on this, as a picky reader I will DNF at the drop of a comma), the potential felt not quite realized. Editorially it needed more work, all the way from the world building that didn't quite add up, continuity issues and plotting, right down through basics like wrong word usage, grammar, missing words and funky punctuation that got progressively more noticeable as the book went on. I was pretty sad that the lack of proof reading distracted from it so much.

There was just so much I didn't understand. There was Evie's flip-flopping character who changed her mind on a whim because that's what the plot needed her to do at that time (), or why she was so vehemently with the rebels considering how they treated her . The Light Class = good and Dark Class = less good but still good compared to "Half Class" societal structure based on religious beliefs where angels are light and devils dark also didn't make sense to me (if that's the logic then shouldn't Dark Class be shunned completely and the Half Class pitied by "nicer" Light folk and scorned by the less nice?)

The romance angle was sweet, based on their shared love of adventure books. The bookish MC may be a cliche, but in cases like this where their interactions are all about the book series they read and how it could apply to them... Aww. I guess it helped that despite being ignoring the plight of those he's one day going to rule, Prince Cass is a surprisingly cute character. I wished we'd gotten a bit more from sidekick Donnie as he looked to be the potential comic relief... And less of Luke. Much less. I really disliked his obvious violent and manipulative nature that Evie somehow just writes off. You expected that of the evil king trope (yes, he's really messed up) but I wasn't all that comfortable with how Evie went from apathy before his outbursts to weirdly clingy after them. Cousin Kat? Again, I just didn't get her actions after a certain point.

Overall, proof reading aside, I felt like this was an author just warming up. There's a great deal of potential to the writing, it just felt to me as if it needed more direction and depth for the characters and plot to make it really something.
Profile Image for Gabrielle (belle.bookcorner).
509 reviews100 followers
September 8, 2021
I was excited to read this book because it's been so long since the last time I read a dystopian novel.

The Half Class tells a story about Evelyn who was living her life as a half class, too dark for the natural light class and too fair for the natural dark class. By day she was just an ordinary girl while at night she turn into a rebel by joining one group of rebellion whose trying to take down the king and his unjust laws towards half classes people.
Then, Evie accidentally met the young prince, Cassian and find out he wasn't as bad as she thought he would be. Now, Evie was torn between choosing her loyalty to the rebellion cause or her new happiness with the prince.

The story is pretty simple, predictable but still enjoyable to read. The writing style is very easy to read and the story is easy to follow as well as easy to understand.
I appreciate the author for trying to explore the heavy topics in real life into this book and combine it with a lot of morally gray characters which makes their action neither right or wrong at the same time.

The characters are pretty relatable even though they could get a bit frustrating sometimes. Evie was a bit annoying for me at some point during the story, she's indecisive and she could be sway easily. She wanted a lot of things but she didn't want to take risk.
Cass was too mysterious at this point and I couldn't really say anything about him. I wanted to like Luke but his action sometimes just too overwhelming.

I have to admit I feel slightly disappointed because the story has the potential to be more. I wanted more view from the rebellion group since Evie was fighting on their side, but instead the story seems to focus more on building the relationship between Evie and Cass. Don't get me wrong, I did like their relationship but I wanted more on the world building and the origin of the color classification.
I also hope there will be more development from Evie's character because right now she's still confuse about her choices.

Overall, it was a pretty good introduction book to the series. There's the potential to become a good series so I'm interested enough to want to read the next book.
This story is easy to read and refreshing for those who just read a very heavy topic books. It was pretty enjoyable for me and hopefully there will be more development on the characters and the world building!

Thank you to Netgalley, Kayvion Lewis and The Parliament House for the digital ARC in return for an honest review.
Profile Image for Brett.
1 review
January 12, 2023
I loved this book SO MUCH. I got it in a Faecrate box and it’s just been chilling on my shelf until I did a random selection of books. Thank goodness this was one of my first books of the year. This book included so many important conversations: racism, manipulation, abuse in relationships, and even general family drama. I was immediately sucked in to Evie’s story. I love when books start in the middle of a scene. The world building was very solid; easy to comprehend. Logistically, there were some typos but it wasn’t enough to pull from the story. As for the story events… where is book 2???? I need it immediately. 😂 also I got a weird vibe from Luke and Kat early on and it was solidified when we see Evie watching from the window at night and she sees them walking together. What really made me gasp was Kat wearing the ring when Evie walked in on them?? Such a small detail you could miss it but it literally made the scene for me and dug in the betrayal. I loved watching Evie and Cass grow to care for each other. I loved seeing them bond over their love of books and just enjoying each other’s presence. Even with Evie’s initial ulterior motives, I solidly believe she wants to protect him, which leads to the end of the book. I am so interested to see how she makes it out of this unscathed.. or will she? There was no wasted space in this book. It made me feel all the feelings and I am rooting for these characters to change their world. Can’t wait for book 2!
This entire review has been hidden because of spoilers.
Profile Image for Kriti Dalmia.
248 reviews4 followers
August 26, 2021
This debut novel is about a rebellion. A rebellion from the half class against their cruel king. Kayvion Lewis through her story have explored and talked about caste discrimination and their struggles in focused and easy manner.

Evie is a half class, can't be part of too dark or too fair and this has been nothing but a punishment for her. She lives with her Aunt Jen who runs a brothel as half class girls are not for anything else. She too will have to do that when she reaches the age of 18 and this is not what she wants. She is member of a rebellion group who are finding a way to their methods as the King is in town.

Prince Cassian has a mystery to him. The night he enters the brothel, Evie befriends him unknowing to the fact that he is a prince as they share lot in common. Later everything seems to fall in place for their rebel plans using Evie as the mean. What she doesn't know that agreeing to this will only come back to bite her later.

The King is no less than a monster. My heart broke for Richal and Brison. I wanted to kill the king myself. I was hurting for them. He doesn't care about his own soon.

The author has written some amazing characters. She has ensured to keep us on edge with the thrill to the story. The end was a bit expected but it did not stop me from wanting to know what happens next. For a debut this absolutely amazing and we'll written. Definitely looking forward to the next in the series.

Thank you Netgalley and Parliament House for ARC of this in exchange of honest review.
Profile Image for Shelby.
183 reviews5 followers
September 25, 2021
If you’re looking for a character-driven romance, I would recommend The Half-Class! Lewis has crafted a cast of characters you’ll care about (and even some you’ll love to hate 😅). Cass is super-sweet, and I loved seeing a more book-ish male in the lead. Evie is a compelling main character (even if her expectations of others are somewhat unrealistic).

My only really complaint is the lack of plot and world-building. The synopsis makes it seem like it really centers around a rebellion, and while it does make appearances here or there, the book is mostly interactions between the characters. And, unfortunately, the lack of world building made it feel like there weren’t super high stakes for anything. Whenever a problem arises, the characters seem to slip out of trouble pretty easily. I think a deeper dive into the world would have done wonders!

That being said, I definitely hung around for the characters. So, If that’s something you enjoy, go ahead and check this out! Thank you to Parliament Press for this review copy! 🖤
Profile Image for ab_reed.
51 reviews3 followers
September 29, 2021
I loved this book. There are 3 classes in the world of this novel. Light Class, Black Class, and Half Class. Evie is a half class. Too light for the dark, too dark for the light. And if you’re out past curfew or without your papers, you face jail time and probably torture. ⁣

Evie lives with her aunt in a brothel she runs. Girls like Evie (half class) really only have 2 options when they turn 18. Work for her aunt or become a rich man’s mistress. Evie wants more. She wants a life of freedom and at night she runs with a group who are trying to change things for the dark and half class. ⁣

One night at the brothel, she meets a fun and charming man named Cass. They instantly connect as they both share their love of reading. Turns out the next day, she discovers he’s THE PRINCE!! Now her group of freedom fighters want her to meet up with him again hoping she will be a spy for them. ⁣

Poor Evie is torn between making changes for her people and for the man she doesn’t want to hurt.⁣

It’s a great read and I loved the ending!

Profile Image for Megan Lowe.
Author 22 books129 followers
September 2, 2021
3.5 stars.

I’m not quite sure what to think about this book.
As someone who is biracial I can relate to the main themes of this book, but sometimes I felt as if that fact was lost a little bit. At times it felt as if it were only 2 classes, not 3. I think there should’ve been more emphasis made.
As for the characters? I loved Cass, then I didn’t.
I liked Evie then I didn’t.
I never liked Luke, or Kat. Aunt Jen was a strange character and so much more could’ve been made of her past.
I also think Gilow and Jace should’ve been much more bigger parts, especially considering their roles.
But the character I had the most problem with was Evie. She needed to be strong, and clear, and decisive. Instead she was passive and easily manipulated. She was a bit of a pushover.
There were strong selection vibes here, but that world was much more strongly anchored and explored. Here, I found it a little weak.
This book had so much promise, but unfortunately it fell a little flat for me, sorry!
820 reviews6 followers
August 26, 2021
This novel was an enjoyable read for the first book in the series. People are separated into classes, light and dark. Those in between are not part of either class, where they must always carry their papers, for if they are caught without it, they could be put into work camps. Evie is a young woman living in a brothel with her aunt and in the night helps her fellow rebels against the king. Everything changes when the king and his entourage come into their town. Evie meets Cass, whom she learns is the prince after they share their love of reading. Evie has now been given a mission to get close to Cass and the king, supplying the the rebels with information. But feelings and confusion gets in the way, and Evie needs to decide where her loyalties lie.
I received this novel as an ARC from net galley and the publisher. Thank you! All thoughts and opinions are my own.
August 29, 2021
I received this book as an ARC from NETGALLEY! Thank you!

I read the description of this book and I was instantly curious about it.
The Half Class is a fantasy romance, quite good and well written!
The worldbuilding is not extremely specific but we know that the population is divided in three classes: light, half, and dark class. I really appreciate this book about it, because it talks about racial discrimination, white privilege and also brutality in a fantasy world.

The characters are well developed (Cassian, my love), the plot is quite predictable (a sort of triangle between the protagonist- her friends - the prince) but is very enjoyable!
The final part OMG, too many emotions 😭

If you're a fan of this type of YA Fantasy books, I reccomend it and I rate it 3 stars!
I'm very curios about the second book!
Profile Image for Destiny Bridwell.
1,578 reviews25 followers
October 8, 2021
I received a copy of this book for a fair and honest review. This is is a book that taking the reader on a wild ride between classes divided and the line that is in-between. It shows that we all have something to overcome. That not everything is as it seems. I like Evie is an interest character. She is part of a group that is trying to take doing the upper crust known as the Light Class. She is part of the half-class that is to dark for the Light Class, but to light for her the Dark Class. The King is planning something that could destroy the Half-Class and in the process of trying to find a way to stop the King Evie meets Prince Cass at her Aunt's place of business. Now those she is working with want to use him for their cause. Evie is torn for she is developing feeling for Cass. What is a girl to do?
Profile Image for Alejandra.
55 reviews1 follower
August 13, 2021
I did not expect this book to explore heavy topics, but I am amazed by how well the author did it. The story illustrates real-world problems while also showing characters with complex personalities. For me, the plot was foreseeable, but what makes this book special is that I ended up caring a lot about the characters. I guess this is the type of story that makes you see that people's actions are not always black or white, but grey. I will definitely be reading the sequel.

On another note, plotwise, this story did remind me a little bit of The Jewel by Amy Ewing, so if you like that book, I highly recommend this one.

Thanks to NetGalley and the Independent Publishers Group, I had the opportunity to read the eARC in exchange for an honest review.
Profile Image for roxi Net.
696 reviews290 followers
January 6, 2022
#TheHalfClass #NetGalley

A really interesting read between dark and light classes; something I can identify with, especially if I had been born in Evie's world. Chances are I'd be categorized as half class under Prince Cass's father's rule.

Being looked after by her Madam aunt, Evie's life is narrowing down to choices: either marry, or work for her aunt, neither of which truly appeals to her. As part of a rebellion, Evie sees the much bigger picture that is shifted once she meets Prince Cass and draws closer to him. This relationship is a perfect 'in' for the rebels and Evie is now torn between love, changing her future, and changing her world into a more balanced and free one.

I enjoyed The Half-Class and hopefully will be able to read a sequel soon.
Profile Image for Jennifer.
463 reviews8 followers
December 18, 2021
A half- prince

Our hero, and I use that term lightly as there’s nothing heroic about him, acts like just half a prince. He seems to not know anything that happens in his kingdom, nor does he care. We learn nothing about him before he meets Evie. There’s no depth to his character at all. And Evie is a flat character who is stuck in an odd cycle of blindly trusting the people in her rebellion when all she seems to know about them is they want change. Change can be bad as well as good dear Evie. Ever consider that?
Profile Image for Septima Snape.
104 reviews28 followers
October 5, 2021
Thank you to @parliamentbooks for providing me with a free eARC.

I loved every second of this book from start to finish. I thought this was a fantastic debut and I am DYING to get my hands on book 2. I need it now! 😄

I loved the world, the nods to real world history, the love story, the very flawed characters! (If certain two characters ever come to life and cross my path, we are having WORDS)

The plot was a bit tropey, but I didn't care.

TW for violence against children
Profile Image for Ellen.
155 reviews3 followers
September 29, 2021
This book was so amazing and definitely poignant regarding parallels to our own class system. This Own Voices writer told us a passionate story with my favorite Enemies to Lovers trope, incredible world building, some definite anti-hero vibes at times, and a cliffhanger I AM NOT HAPPY ABOUT!!! Kayvion, PLEASE tell me a book 2 is in the works! I need to know what happens next!
Profile Image for John Clark.
2,177 reviews22 followers
October 26, 2021
Rebel girl, reluctant prince, add snark and some romantic sparks and watch what happens. This is a very intriguing story that rises above poor editing. One more serious copy edit would have garnered a fifth star. Despite the annoyances the missing and incorrect words raised, I'll definitely buy the sequel.
2 reviews1 follower
October 31, 2021
What a stunning debut by a young and no doubt soon- to -be -famous author! . I am not a fan of YA fiction in general so 4 stars is my 5 stars. The characters are well developed, the ending is unexpected, and kudos to the old fashioned build up to the first kiss!
Profile Image for Mary.
145 reviews
December 6, 2021
Wow what a great book! Some parts are a bit cliche but I'm a sucker for some predictable parts of a story. This book reminded me of all my favorite YA books. I'll definitely continue this series. No idea when the next book is out though.
Displaying 1 - 30 of 36 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.