Start by marking “Rain Before Rainbows” as Want to Read:
Rain Before Rainbows

Rain Before Rainbows

In this heartfelt story about courage, change, and moving on, a girl and her companion fox travel together away from a sorrowful past, through challenging and stormy times, toward color and light and life. Along the way they find friends to guide and support them, and when the new day dawns, it is full of promise. With gorgeous, richly realized illustrations and immense ho ...more
Kindle Edition
Published June 1st 2020

To ask other readers questions about Rain Before Rainbows, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rain Before Rainbows

Start your review of Rain Before Rainbows
Rebekah
If ever there was a right time for a beautiful, uplifting book like this to come into your life, it’s now. An unnamed girl, who we know nothing about, sets off on a journey with nothing but her friend the fox and they travel through storms, rough seas and mountain ranges to reach a place of safety and light. This is a story of friendship, perseverance and hope – things I think every person needs right now.

Hall’s flowing, rhyming text gives the book a calm aura (because yes, I think books have a
Alice Bennett
Such a lovely and uplifting picture book. The illustrations are just gorgeous! It would be a great addition to any classroom and PSHE lesson about happiness and finding comfort during the uncertainty of covid-19.
Montzalee Wittmann
Very colorful!

Rain Before Rainbows by Smriti Prasadam-Halls is a very colorful and bright children's book. It is written in rhyming verses. Very nice!
Suzy Davies
Dec 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This stunning book is a work of art. The words and illustrations work together beautifully. The colors in the illustrations make this book special.
Shaye Miller
Dec 28, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
With dreamlike artwork in fantastical color combinations, rhyming text showcases the cycles in life from night before day, clouds before sunshine, sowing before reaping, etc. As I was reading this one, I was thinking about how appropriate this book would be as a graduation gift for someone heading off into the world. There will definitely be hard days and difficult work, but we can find that silver lining in the end. The illustrations were done in ink and paint and rendered digitally.

For more ch
Stacy Renee  (LazyDayLit)
Gorgeously illustrated! Beautiful prose!

Grabbed this for free on Kindle so many thanks to the publisher!
Jae
Nov 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is such a lovely and uplifting book for younger children. The illustrations are beautiful, with wonderful colours, and the few words are hopeful and supportive for when times are tough. A very positive little book to share with your young child, or just to read for yourself.
Chloe Richardson
Jul 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful

A beautifully written book, very poetic and sweet. It would be great to explore in a PSHE lesson. The illustrations are gorgeous, perhaps the most beautiful illustrations I have seen in a while!
Strawberry
Jul 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is such a lovely story book and perfect for showing children that there are always good things happening after bad. ‘Rain Before Rainbows’ has been released as a free ebook by the publisher (before the physical release in October) to raise awareness and hopefully to help raise some money for the ‘Save With Stories’ campaign run by Save the Children charity. It’s this free ebook that I’m reviewing and I think it’s a lovely book to embrace the campaign, and a great one to focus on at this str ...more
Shane Harcombe
Oct 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Gorgeously illustrated book that captures the imagination and reassures the reader that they have the tools and abilities to withstand the hard times in life and that there is a brighter future ahead.
Saviour
Jun 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020
Awesome book, full of heart-felt meaning. Together, the text and the illustrations are a real treasure.
J Fearnley
Jul 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
Charming book, lovely illustrations and a great tool to support discussion

4-4.5*

This is a lovely story book aimed at children aged 3 – 7 year olds. An excellent tool for showing children that there is hope even when times are bad and difficult things happen.

‘Rain Before Rainbows’ is a simple rhyming picture book. The story of a girl and her fox friend who have to leave their home after a terrible fire engulfs the castle they lived in. The girl and the fox encounter and must deal with scary cre
Rosie
This picture book is so visually stunning with the images and the words working so well together.

A girl goes on a journey with her fox friend and things aren’t always easy but in the end there is a bright and beautiful world. The images start off quite dark but as the journey continues the colours brighten as the sun appears.

This story would be good to use within PSHE and looking at perseverance and working through difficulties as there’s always something bright at the end as well as this it wou
Annie
Sep 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was such a beautiful book that I thoroughly enjoyed reading to a 4 year old. A touching and colourful story of courage and change for a girl and her companion fox who travel together from a sorrowful past, through challenging and stormy times, toward color and light and life. The story was a bit heavy but the beauty of the art helped tell an important story, it was very wonderful to read. With special thanks to Walker Books Publishers for sending me a copy of this book.
Ella
Nov 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A lovely bright and colourful book about hope. A great way to encourage positivity and talk about the good in things. This story would be great to use within a PSHE lesson thinking about friendship, hope and how we can stay positive. The book may be particularly important and useful at the moment with coronavirus and the worry this may be causing a lot of children. I think the book could be read in any class but it is probably best suited to KS1 and lower KS2.
Alysia | LiteraryBookBabe
Such a beautiful book! The illustrations are perfect and the words can be uplifting to not only children but adults as well.
Loved that the author dedicated it to her sister. It hit all the feels that I have for my sister. 💕
I read it as an ebook, but I would 100% purchase the physical copy for my collection at home.
Garance J. Bonadonna (The Nerdy Artivist)
Another wonderful pictures book!

I especially liked the bright colours in this one and the poetic text.
It's the story about how life is a long, difficult and bumpy road, you have mountains to climbed, and oceans to cross, but, there's always a rainbow after the rain.

I don't have much to say except that this will appeal to kids who are facing difficulties in their early years. It is very important to have books who aknowledge the hardness of life but who are also hopeful, filled with beautiful pic
Michele Knott
A perfect book for now. Just gorgeous.
Cypris Potts
Jan 06, 2021 rated it it was amazing
This was voted by my library as one of the best books of 2020. It is beautifully illustrated. Even as an adult, I think it delivers a relevant message.
Pam
Aug 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Charming book about handling troubles and remembering that happier times will come. Young readers will connect with the images shared. Discussion starter to talk about the issues in their lives and then turning the discussion to the joys.
Nicola
Jun 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A beautifully written & illustrated book 💕📚

Just the perfect book to read in these uncertain times. The illustrations are breathtaking yet again by David Litchfield.
A great combination
Maja
Jun 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Beautifully illustrated & wonderful wisdom

A beautiful book to help all readers both young and old see that in these uncertain times there is beauty, there is friendship & there is hope.
Mrs E.
Jun 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful story with amazing illustrations

This is a beautiful story to share especially during these strange times with covid19. I can't wait for the paperback version as I would love to share this with my class.

Truly beautiful.
Gabriella
Jun 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2020, childrens
Beautiful

This is a beautiful book that works well with the current times. We are all facing. Challenges and some far more than others, this gorgeously illustrated tale reminds of that in the most heartwarming way. I am not ashamed to say that I loved this short story.
Chloe
Jun 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ks1, picture-book, ks2, pshe
The highlight of this book is the illustrations, insanely beautiful! Another really nice free resource that has been put out to help cope with the current times of uncertainty and fear.
Summer
Jun 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love this book. The illustrations are gorgeous and the words are so uplifting. I've sent this to everyone who I thought would use and appreciate it. Beautiful, gorgeous book <3
KS1
Callie
Jun 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful 🥰

Beautiful 🥰 I think this is a book that should be shared with children in this strange 'normal' we currently live in.
Mary Hamer
Jun 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I want to frame every page!
Barbara
Created with ink and paint and then finished digitally, the illustrations in this picture book capture the mood of the story perfectly. A young girl and a fox embark on a journey, leaving behind a dark past. Readers don't know what happened to them in the past, but it's clear that they can no longer stay there. As they travel, they face various dangers but also see amazing sights. They even find guides and friends to help them along the way. The illustrations move from dark to light as the story ...more
Star
Aug 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thank you to Walker Books Australia for providing me with a finished copy to read and review in exchange for an honest opinion. This has not impacted my views.

This is such a beautiful book, inside and out.

This picture book has some of the most gorgeous illustrations I have ever seen, and the story is simply beautiful as well.
It tells young readers that just because bad things happen, good things can follow – like there is rain before there are rainbows. And we all can enjoy a lovely rainbow.
I t

• Ella's Night Lights
  • A Scarf for Keiko
  • The Barnabus Project
  • The Suitcase
  • The Couch Potato (The Bad Seed, #4)
  • Where Snow Angels Go
  • Gustavo, the Shy Ghost
  • Outside In
  • Don't Worry, Little Crab
  • A Polar Bear in the Snow
  • A Year of Everyday Wonders
  • We Will Rock Our Classmates
Smriti Prasadam-Halls is an award-winning, internationally best-selling children’s author whose books have been published in more than thirty languages. Her titles include the Publishers Weekly #1 bestseller I Love You Night and Day, illustrated by Alison Brown. Smriti Prasadam-Halls previously worked at the BBC and in children’s publishing and television as a writer and editor for twelve years. S ...more

News & Interviews

Signed up for the 2021 Goodreads Reading Challenge and looking for tips on how to discover and read more books? We’ve got your back. (And if...