Start by marking “Pretty Dead (Jack McMorrow Mystery, #7)” as Want to Read:
Pretty Dead (Jack McMorrow Mystery, #7)

Pretty Dead (Jack McMorrow Mystery #7)

3.59  ·  Rating details ·  90 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
Jack McMorrow is looking into a scandal that's shaking the reputation of an elite Boston couple. Angel Moretti, a family friend, has an angle no one else has. But when her secrets are buried--along with her body--in an isolated stretch of woods, Jack's story becomes a front-page headline. And it's leading him to places far darker than Angel's shallow grave.
Published August 3rd 2004 by Berkley (first published December 2nd 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Pretty Dead, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pretty Dead

Jessica Jowers
Aug 14, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a nice light mystery. Characters were well developed which draws you into their struggle. Other than the "secret" which I did guess the ending was unexpected.
Susan Emmet
Oct 03, 2017 rated it it was ok
I really like this series, but #7 didn't cut to the quick. Too many happenstances, too many stock characters, too little of McMorrow's usual attention to fierce and steady morals.
I miss Clair's wife making soup and Roxanne's strong counterpoint to Jack. Clair even seems a bit flat.
That said, there are unexpected twistings and readers are kept in the dark until the last few pages.

(How does someone get beaten up so thoroughly so often and not get soft-headed? And heal so quickly?)
James Fisher
Not the best of the McMorrow series, Straw Man and Once Burned are excellent, but Pretty Dead has all the usual twists which keep you reading to the last page.
J
Aug 08, 2010 rated it it was ok
MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS.

'Pretty Dead' was pretty implausible.

When I read the jacket description, I was looking forward to a tale involving an intrepid reporter. For the New York Times, no less. (I have many friends who are current or former reporters.)

But I couldn't believe the ethical conflicts in which the central character, Jack McMorrow, immerses himself without a qualm.

He befriends and socializes w. sources while he's "investigating" them.

He allows his girlfriend, also -- she's a social worker
LJ
PRETTY DEAD – VG
Gerry Boyle – 7th in series
When reporter Jack McMorrow’s significant other, social service worker Roxanne Masterson, investigates allegations of physical abuse concerning the young daughter of Boston bluebloods David and Maddie Connelly, Jack senses a shot at a story. There a beautiful young staff member steals the show, then winds up dead. Heavy muscle shows up to discourage Jack's search, while a phone message forces him to put his cards on the table and the Connellys to unveil
Carol
Dec 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
I enjoy this series of books set in Maine. Jack McMorrow is an ex New York Times writer who messed up his life and is finally finding it again in the small Maine Town of Prosperity. He writes pieces for anyone who will pay him and fights for the underdog by exposing corruption and other not so nice facets of human life. This time he is playing with the very rich and are they who they seem to be or are they as bad as the guys harrasing them????? You'll have to read and find out. Another reason I ...more
L.C. Rooney
May 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I'm late to the series but am reading them in order. Pretty Dead is #7 and his best Jack McMorrow mystery to date (again, remembering that #10 just came out, so I am still a bit behind). As I am reading them back-to-back-to-back, it is clear how the author is developing and growing as a writer. I particularly liked the premise of Pretty Dead, but I'm hoping that putting the girlfriend (Roxanne) in danger as a result of Jack's writing projects is going to stop here (or at least be tempered somewh ...more
Jonean
Jun 10, 2016 rated it liked it
This is the first book I have read by this author and probably should have started with the 1st book in the Jack McMorrow series. It is a really good mystery, well written without a lot of unnecessary details but lots of twists and turns and a surprise ending. Will definitely read more by this author.
Wanji
Feb 01, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It was more of a 1 and a half. Boyle could have done so much better than this. There was too much focus on showing that he knew the layout of Maine and not enough on building tension, characters with depth, and an ending that leaves me surprised and not feeling like everything came from left field.
And don't even get me started on the dialogue. That was a mess.
Patricia Leggett
Mar 05, 2015 rated it liked it
Almost fell asleep reading the first 20 pages. It got better when I finally found the rhythm of the story.
Melet
May 15, 2009 added it
Shelves: did-not-finish
could not get in to this one...
Lis
May 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: crime-fiction
Good plot and good characters -- I want to go back to the beginning of this series.
Nancy
Aug 19, 2008 rated it really liked it
Picked this book up on a whim.....loved it so much, I had to go back and read ALL of Boyle's books.
Monica Casper
Oct 30, 2011 rated it really liked it
Enjoyable, with richly drawn characters. Rural/coastal Maine and Boston etched with care.
eq
Apr 22, 2008 rated it it was ok
Not a bad read. I think it would have been better as a beach read. It was quick and I enjoyed the flow of the book.
Laurie
Jul 13, 2011 rated it really liked it
Perfect little mystery for a light summer read. I think I especially liked it because the setting was Maine, where I've spent some time so it was easy to picture the little towns involved.
Cindy White
Mar 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
What can I say, Gerry Boyle tends to keep me on the edge of my seat from page one! Another shocking ending.
Brian Penley
Aug 25, 2012
Elisabeth
Nov 29, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »

Jack McMorrow Mystery (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Deadline (Jack McMorrow Mystery, #1)
  • Bloodline (Jack McMorrow Mystery, #2)
  • Lifeline (Jack McMorrow Mystery, #3)
  • Potshot (Jack McMorrow Mystery, #4)
  • Borderline (Jack McMorrow Mystery, #5)
  • Cover Story (Jack McMorrow Mystery, #6)
  • Home Body (Jack McMorrow Mystery, #8)
  • Damaged Goods (Jack McMorrow Mystery, #9)
  • Once Burned (Jack McMorrow Mystery, #10)
  • Straw Man (Jack McMorrow Mystery, #11)