Start by marking “The Catfish” as Want to Read:
The Catfish

The Catfish

Rachel McCann has left the corporate world of law to open her own independent practice. Her first client is a mother whose son has been catfished online by a vigilante group: The Predator Hunters.

In a world where a criminal trial is outweighed by the wrath of social media, how far can Rachel go for her client who will stop at nothing to protect her son’s honour?
Published May 30th 2020

To ask other readers questions about The Catfish, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Catfish

Start your review of The Catfish
Misty Neeb
Oct 22, 2020 rated it liked it
I won this in a Goodreads contest. I was looking forward to reading it. However from the very beginning, I was not a fan. Books usually need to pull me in by the end of the first chapter or come with a high recommendation from a friend. Unfortunately, this book had neither.

I could not finish this book. As I've gotten older, I do let myself not finish books rather than torture myself. But I do try to finish books. It says a lot that I discarded a (free) book.

I'm disappointed that I did not enjo
Sharon
Jun 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: giveaways-won, kindle
The book's story summary provides an honest account of its overall content. It does not however describe the depth to which the story reaches and its touch upon one's personal beliefs and feelings. The story at the very least is both impactful and thought provoking.
4 star recommended read.
Marcia
Jun 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Great read!

This book is awesome! Fast read with great plot and characters! Definitely recommend and will read again! Give it a try!
Kirk Weikart
Nov 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
Teenager Charlie goes online to make a new friend. He agrees to meet up with Anna, who confesses she is only 13 but likes to have a good time. But who is Charlie really? Who is Anna?

What follows is the spillout from that meeting. The ripple effects fill this entire book, and could have filled many more pages. Apparently based on an actual incident in the UK, Hatton once again delivers a suspenseful plot with many branches.

The plots are this author's strength. The premise is always strong, and t
claudia
Jul 16, 2020 rated it liked it
Thank you to David Hatton and Goodreads for providing me with a free copy of this kindle e-book through a giveaway.

This was a very fast read. Started off with a bang and didn't stop. This is a great book to see how the social world actually is. You are accused and instantly a million people know what you did. Guilty or not. I would recommend this book.
Dave
Jul 03, 2020 rated it liked it
Thank you to author David Hatton for this FREE Kindle copy of The Catfish. And thanks to Goodreads for hosting the opportunity.

I liked the story, but found it a bit rough around the edges. Not in a bad way. It just didn't feel smooth, fully fleshed out, and could use another round of editing. Otherwise, a good read on a hot topic today.
Rick Molitor
Jun 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
Timely story

This is a story about how people are tried by social justice and not by the courts. They are found guilty by public opinion whether they are guilty or not without a chance to defend themselves. An interesting read.
Laura Atkinson
Jul 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This must have been difficult to write as controversial subjects are covered, however it is well written. As always the power of social media can have immense implications on peoples lives. As david sates this book is not for everyone but you're after a gritty read then the catfish is for you. ...more
Joy Corkery
Sep 20, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Review first published here: https://joyfulantidotes.com/2020/08/2...

The Catfish is an incredibly dark story. I love stories like this but I have to admit that some of the themes might be triggering for others (pedophilia, suicide, online bullying). Saying that, this book has true death and the themes/plotlines were not just written fr the shock factor. In actual fact, many of the themes are quite thought-provoking. Today’s lean toward trial by media especially stood out to me. Where can the lin
Diane Griffiths
Aug 27, 2020 rated it liked it
I won this as a Goodreads giveaway..

Rachel McCann has left the corporate world of law to open her own independent practice. In enters a mother whose son has been catfished online by a vigilante group.

What is interesting is this is something that will be getting more frequent as the online activities grow!! Sad thing is this is how you are tried by the social aspect, and not the court. With no chance to defend yourself! Cause we all know.. everything you see online is "true". HA!

Very interesting
Faith
Oct 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
A intense and deep look into the traps society has fallen into with social media and how we follow group think. Just exactly who is controlling how you think and act?
Sherri Moorer

• Winter of the Wolf
  • Soledad
  • The Thin Wall
  • The Divine Yes
  • The Inn at Hidden Run (Tree of Life #1)
  • Hidden Christmas: The Surprising Truth Behind the Birth of Christ
  • The Bone Jar (Detective Lew Kirby, #1)
  • Top Producer
  • Shadow of the Dagger (CIA Operatives #1)
  • The Plus One
  • Thin Air (Jessica Shaw, #1)
  • Trust No One
  • What's on True Crime Tonight?: A Mystery Story
  • Ain't No Messiah
  • The Room Where It Happened: A White House Memoir
  • Thirteen (Eddie Flynn, #4)
  • Cocaine, Cupcake
David was born in Preston, Lancashire. His love of writing started in primary school where his teacher would read out his short stories every week. He attended Leeds Metropolitan University (Leeds Beckett) where he was offered an opportunity to live and work in Chicago Illinois (USA). After living in Manchester UK for over eight years, he now resides in Horwich, where he lives with his partner, al ...more

News & Interviews