Start by marking “Baby Doll Games (Sigrid Harald, #5)” as Want to Read:
Baby Doll Games (Sigrid Harald, #5)

Baby Doll Games

(Sigrid Harald #5)

When a shadowy figure kills a dancer in a Greenwich Village theater before an audience of horrified children, NYPD detective Sigrid Harald is outraged and soon has a gut feeling that passion played a large part in the murder. With no physical evidence, she turns to special dolls used by therapists to help children talk about crimes they've witnessed.
Paperback
Published June 30th 1995 by Mysterious Press (first published 1988)

To ask other readers questions about Baby Doll Games, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Baby Doll Games

Lael Braday
Feb 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I'm still thinking about the very last line in this book. It rattled my sensibilities. I actually gasped out loud. Margaet Maron is such a talented writer. This fifth book in her Sigrid Harald series is my favorite so far. She had a side story going about another murder while Sigrid was solving the case about the dancer thrown to her death, both stories connected by one character. After the dancer case is solved, the tale ends with the side story murder in a vivid scene that likely won't leave y ...more
Erin
Jul 28, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I totally love Sigrid Herald and I've been enjoying this series, but I had a hard time with this particular story.

I thought it kind of unlikely that, given the circumstances of the murder, the police wouldn't have immediately hauled all of the dancers, especially the male dancers, down to the station for holding and intensive questioning. They probably would have had to let everyone go after 48 hours because they didn't have any concrete evidence on any of them, but it just struck me as so weir
Mary Garrett
Jun 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Margaret Maron's BABY DOLL GAMES was quite mysterious and compelling. I did not guess most of the surprises; clues were there but subtle, just as they should be.
I am currently enjoying a sequential reading of the Sigrid Harald series, to be ready for the new one she's working on, as I prefer reading a series in order. ;-)
* Friends were discussing love scenes and our preference for courteous allusions rather than detailed descriptions of interlocking parts.
Here’s a perfect love scene from BABY
Tobinsfavorite
Nov 26, 2017 rated it liked it
I liked this one a bit more than some of the others, and as they teeter between 2 and 3 stars, 3 stars!

Maron often spends a significant portion of her set-up chapters describing the geometry of the crime scene minutely. Each time, I try to hold the steps in my head to build a picture, but for some reason, it doesn't work for me. Then I just read on anyway, wondering if I'd figure things out sooner if I put more effort into it. Oh well.
~mad
May 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: booksiveread
This is a quick read! and fun - as a mystery can be.

I read all of the Deborah Knott books up to 1988 when this Sigrid Harald was published. A check of Amazon shows that now there are 20 Deborah Knott tales and at least 8 Sigrid Harald books. I see a visit to the library! (once I get my card renewed!)

I highly recommend.
Marge
Dec 22, 2017 rated it did not like it
I got this for free so it was worth the price but not much more. I hadn't realized when I picked it up that it wasn't part of the Deborah Knott series. This one, set in New York City, has little to recommend it except it was something to read on a trip.
Candace
Sep 02, 2018 rated it liked it
I honestly didn't have a clue who the murderer was, and I almost always know. I didn't like the very ending. It didn't add to the book.
Abbey
May 19, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: lovers of theater-based classic mysteries and/or cosy police procedurals
BOTTOM LINE: One of the best Sigrid Harald stories, so far (#5 of 8), with a strong theater-based plot (one of my fave sorts of mysteries) and a nice wallop of emotional stuff mixed in as well.

A classy-but-flashy child psychologist and her nephew are at a neighborhood dance troupe's Halloween performance for children when the lead dancer is killed, onstage, while under a spotlight, in full view of the audience. Sigrid is assigned the case, and while her roommate Roman is the scenario writer for
Kilian Metcalf
Nov 11, 2014 rated it liked it
It's not you, Sigrid, it's me. I don't like police procedurals and mysteries that have lots of clues involving time lines and room maps. So why am I reading these books? Because I love the cozy series about Deborah Knott, that's why. Somewhere the two series converge when Deborah visits New York. I stopped reading the Deborah novels until I got up to speed on the Sigrid novels. I want to have a sense of who Sigrid is so when the two meet, I can understand where each is coming from.

If you like to
Nell
Jul 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: z2012
Maron is masterful with this twist on the closed room mystery. The murder occurs on stage in full view of an audience, many of them children. There are parallel stories interwoven. A small group of suspects, members of a dance company. It all comes together in the end when Sigrid has a flash of insight. Intriguing mystery with a bombshell ending.
And love the main character. Sigrid is an endearing blend of assurance and insecurity. Her personal and professional life overlap again when her housema
Sylvia McIvers
This seems to be my week for reading old books.

There are two parts to this story - the actual mystery, and the character interactions. Mystery, not much fun. People, amazing.

The dance scenes are wonderful, the squabbling actors are fun, the police procedures just drag. And the psychologist's sub-plot is a wonderful contrast with self-congratulatory tone and interesting technique.

I like Maron's Deobrah Knott series much better, and the other Sigrid Harald books are also better than this one.
Ed
Feb 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
#5 in the NYPD Lt. Sigrid Harald series.

NYPD Lt. Sigrid Harald series - When a shadowy figure kills a dancer in a little Greenwich village theatre before an audience of horrified children, detective Sigrid Harald is outraged. Her instincts tell her it was a crime of passion but she has no evidence. To find out the truth she uses special dolls to get the children to talk about what happened that night.

Julia Hendon
Apr 19, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
A dancer, the leading light of a small dance troupe, is murdered during a performance. Lieutenant Sigrid Harald has to figure out which of the other members of the group is guilty and how the crime connects to the still unsolved murder of a child. A basic mystery, reasonably well plotted and with believable characters. A subplot involving a self-centered psychologist and a different crime is distracting, however.
Judith
Aug 27, 2012 rated it liked it
I'm hooked on this series by Margaret Maron and will read every book. Amazon got me started by offering the first book either free or for $.99. In the first 4 the culprit was someone I didn't want to be guilty, but that was no longer true in this book. The main character is very interesting but I would like her romance to burn a bit brighter. The mysteries always make sense and the other characters provide interesting lives.
David
Jul 13, 2009 rated it liked it
The story interested me; however, this is not my favorite series of hers. For some reasons I find the series date and the main character not every likable.

The relationships with the cast of characters I did find interesting and thought provoking. Throughout the entire read, the lighting man interested me the most.
Cyn Mcdonald
Jan 13, 2015 rated it liked it
More like 2 1/2 stars. Tillie is still out of the picture, recovering from the injuries from the last book, and Sigrid is partnered with a totally unsympathetic, about-to-retire cop. (He was once partnered with her father, but we don't really get to learn anything more about him or his death -- yet.) The therapist made me twitch.
Laura Salas
May 02, 2012 added it
Shelves: adult, mystery
Didn't actually read this--the paper and ink are SO poor it was painful to try to read. I know Maron is a very well-respected author. Surely Severn House isn't self-published...The quality of the physical book is painful, though. Couldn't get through more than a couple of pages.
Barbara
Dec 05, 2009 rated it really liked it
Started 1-3-10.
Wow, the most shocking denouement and way cool.

Jewett
Nov 30, 2014 rated it liked it
this time we learn lots about dance but the characters are becoming a little more human.
Deborah
Jan 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Continuing the series. Not quite
Diane Heath
Jul 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
A typical Harald case. We see more officers work with Sigrid while Tillie recovers from injuries incurred in previous book. Anne has more than a cameo this time. The twist at the end is memorable
Deborah
Jun 17, 2013 rated it liked it
I've read this author before, and really liked her. While this book is okay, I think some of her others are better. Interesting setting though.
Suzi
Jan 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Best surprise ending ever.
Debra
Aug 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
I really enjoy the books with Deborah Knott as the main character more than those with Sigrid Harald, but Margaret Maron doesn't let you done.
Dail Sams
Jan 20, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sigrid solves a double murder involving a lead dancer in a dance company and a child who attends dance classes with the company. Sigrid's relationship with Oscar deepens.
Kathy Nealen
Jun 29, 2012 rated it really liked it

Good setting and characters in this episode.
Charlotte
Mar 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
All I am saying is, wow! What an ending sentence!
Lynda
Feb 06, 2013 rated it liked it
Exellent blending of three seemingly unrelated crimes. I completely missed the murderers in all three cases. Sigrid Harald is the opposite of Deborah Knott but just as interesting.
Krissie
Feb 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery-thriller
Definitely NOT the closing line I was expecting! That kind of blew me away.
Flexnib
Dec 18, 2011 rated it liked it
This one seemed a little disjointed. The subplot with Dr Ferrell seemed out of place, and didn't do much to advance the story, for me.

• Zombies of the Gene Pool (Jay Omega, #2)
  • But I Wouldn't Want to Die There (Jenny Cain, #8)
  • The Day the Rabbi Resigned
  • The Hamlet Trap (Constance and Charlie, #1)
  • Miracles in Maggody (Arly Hanks, #9)
  • Set Sail for Murder (Henrie O, #7)
  • The Tree of Death
  • Click Here For Murder (Turing Hopper, #2)
  • A Discount for Death (Posadas County Mystery, #2)
  • Baby, Would I Lie? (Sara & Jack, #2)
  • The Mystery of the Blue Jar: A Short Story
  • Turncoat
  • Feast of Murder (Gregor Demarkian, #6)
  • Deadly Wedding (Deadly, #2)
  • Nice Girls Finish Last (Robin Hudson, #2)
  • Hocus (Irene Kelly #5)
  • Red Hook (Jack Leightner, #1)
  • Flashover (Georgia Skeehan, #2)
Born and raised in central North Carolina, Margaret Maron lived in Italy before returning to the USA where she and her husband now live. In addition to a collection of short stories she's also the author of 16 mystery novels. Her works have been translated into seven languages her Bootlegger's Daughter, a Washington Post Bestseller won Edgar Anthony, Agatha, and Macavity awards. She is a past pres ...more

Sigrid Harald (9 books)
  • One Coffee With (Sigrid Harald, #1)
  • Death of a Butterfly (Sigrid Harald, #2)
  • Death in Blue Folders (Sigrid Harald, #3)
  • The Right Jack (Sigrid Harald, #4)
  • Corpus Christmas (Sigrid Harald, #6)
  • Past Imperfect (Sigrid Harald, #7)
  • Fugitive Colors (Sigrid Harald, #8)
  • Take Out
“Roman noticed that both women seemed instinctively opposed to the idea. “David’s the logical choice,” said Ulrike. Eric and Cliff protested, but Rikki overrode them. “It’s less complicated.” 1 likes