Start by marking “Up Jumps the Devil (Deborah Knott Mystery, #4)” as Want to Read:
Up Jumps the Devil (Deborah Knott Mystery, #4)

Up Jumps the Devil (Deborah Knott Mysteries #4)

4.03  ·  Rating details ·  2,353 Ratings  ·  78 Reviews
In the fourth entry in the acclaimed series, Judge Deborah Knott's table is set with a double helping of Southern-style homicide. As Thanksgiving Day approaches, Judge Knott looks forward to spending some quality time with her lover and family. But the sleepy North Carolina town she calls home witnesses two violent murders that weekend. To complicate things even further, o ...more
Hardcover, 1st edition, 278 pages
Published September 1st 1996 by Mysterious Press (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Up Jumps the Devil, please sign up.

Recent Questions

This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Hope
Jan 31, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book has excellent narration. Ms. Critt gets the voices just right. I had been thinking she's from NC until she read the part about Kinston, NC. She pronounced it "KinGston" :) Otherwise, it was a perfectly smooth narration.

I really enjoy the sense of place in these novels. I enjoy Ms. Maron's writing. Unfortunately, I just don't enjoy the novels overall, and this was no exception. It's hard for me to articulate exactly why.

I think my problem is that the book has just enough of a murder m
Smoochys
Oct 10, 2012 rated it it was ok
The best part of this book, which is true of most of her books, is Deborah's family ties. It's interesting because at it's base they are a bunch of farmers. But the base branched out into other careers (teacher, lawyer/judge, auctioneer, entrepreneur, etc.). No matter the level of success you achieve in a family, you will always have that base - some will try to hold on to it, while others will try to forget it ever existed. Most of the Knott's have tried to hold on to the base. Big brother Adam ...more
Jean Poulos
Oct 12, 2015 rated it liked it
This is book four in the series about life in a contemporary rural small town in North Carolina. The book was published in 1996. Our protagonist Judge Deborah Knott is a personable character that makes the series work. Even though the book is placed in North Carolina it could be any small rural town. I think that is one of the things that hooked me into continue reading the series. I grew up in a small rural town so much of the stories resonate with me.

In this story we see the effects of growth
Jun 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2013
As with the previous books in the series, I loved the home state flavor of this 4th Deborah Knott mystery. Rural development is the issue at hand this time as a developer tries to buy land from some farmers who are eager to sell and others who don't want to see change in the landscape or way of life they've always known. The issue is relevant in Durham. I grew up in a neighborhood built on farmland in the 1960s. When my parents bought their house, my grandmother, who lived downtown, cried becaus ...more
Richard Brand
Jul 05, 2016 rated it liked it
This is another delightful Deborah Knott master. It is full of good family, good story, and good issues, but the fact that it has a sudden frightening ending does not make it great as I never did see why the person who supposedly did the killings did them. There was no real explanation as to how the events played out as they did. But we did have a nice family pow wow at the end and everybody is happy.
Carmen
Nov 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Mystery fans
A good mystery book. Fourth in the DK series. This one is about land, ownership, selling out. We find out that Deborah has been married...wow. I was shocked. And to a real jerk, too. Also that she got so mad at him she attacked him with a butcher knife and landed him in the hospital. Both of these things just don't gel with her general personality, I don't think. But it makes a good story, I guess.
Judy
Jul 12, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book, the fourth in the series about Deborah Knotts, may be the last one I read. I've enjoyed the three previous books, but had a difficult time finishing this one. There really seems to be very little plot, and what there is drags on. It's mostly about the Knott family, none of whom I care much about.
Kellene
Apr 16, 2018 rated it liked it
I enjoy this series and the fact that I know a lot of the locations in the story. And I love Deborah's family and the interaction she has with them, especially her father. The resolution to this was a shocker, and not a very satisfactory solution for me due to the supposed motive. But I'll still continue with the series and watching what happens next in the Knott family sags.
Davidg
Nov 12, 2017 rated it liked it
This was a 2.5 star read but I am in a generous mood. Although I find Deborah Knott an engaging character, I thought the pace of the story was a little slow. Knott, or one of her family, just happen to find themselves at just the moment and in the place where something happens. One of them is always there and it just seems a little unlikely.
Clio
Just as good as Bootlegger's Daughter, a fantastic return to focusing on the incredible setting and it feels like Thanksgiving with a big southern family.
Brenda
Oct 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
Loving the quick reads of mystery and murder in the Blue Ridge Parkway and the good old down South humor insinuated throughout the books.
Joyce Lagow
Dec 30, 2009 rated it really liked it
4th in the Judge Deborah Knott series, set in North Carolina.[return][return]Maron usually manages to weave a socially relevant them into her plots; in this installment, it s the turning over of farmland in the rural south for development to accommodate the hordes leaving the Northeast and the Midwest:[return][return] Sometimes I wonder how places like Iowa or Ohio or upstate New York still have enough people to make it worthwhile keeping the lights on up there. [return][return]Fans know from pr ...more
Sandra
Another great mystery, with sassy Judge Deborah Knott, who does sleuthing in between doing her job as a judge. In Up Jumps The Devil, its murder, and inheritance of land that is trouble and she is bound and determined to find the person responsible for the murder, with or without the law's help.

From Amazon:
After Margaret Maron's first Deborah Knott novel, Bootlegger's Daughter, ran away with the top mystery awards in 1993, this highly acclaimed series has continued to whet our appetite for su
Kristen
Apr 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012
This is such a solid series. Margaret Maron has done such a nice job of accurately (and amusingly) portraying the characters and culture of a family in the rural South. Then she adds in entertaining courtroom scenes, accurate cadence of speech and accents, and plenty of discussion of food, dogs, fishing, and small town-life. It's a potent mixture of mystery and charming family shenanigans.

This particular book dealt with land ownership and the conflict of multi-generational farmers and developme
Kellie
#4 of the Deborah Knott series-I enjoy these books because, after the 4th one, I feel like I am getting to know the characters. As a matter of fact, the story line involving the family was more interesting than the murder mystery in this one. This time, the murders happen in Deborah’s home town and it is over land. To be honest, I thought the mystery part of this story was weak. I enjoy reading about Deborah’s life as a District Court Judge and the cases she is involved in. I also enjoy reading ...more
Cindy
Dec 30, 2008 rated it liked it
Maron's books are entertaining. They are set in South Carolina, and she does a great job of placing you in her world. Deborah Knott's family members and neighbors are very entertaining, as well. I've always enjoyed the components of settings in the South, murder mysteries, and characters in the law business. Since this has all three, it was an enjoyable read. I mistakenly read it out of order from the series, which usually drives me nuts. I didn't notice the difference until I was finished with ...more
Patty
Nov 19, 2009 rated it really liked it
Judge Deborah Knott and her wide-spread and very numerous family members are in fine form in this addition to the Knott mysteries.

I'm glad I don't have to try and keep track of all of the family members, it doesn't bother me if I don't remember which son of which brother this nephew is - and I figure if it really matters the Margaret Maron will tell me!

This story involves a brother from California, a good friend of "Daddy" Kezzie and a host of other relatives on the sidelines. Land, its cost, it
Cam
Sep 02, 2013 rated it liked it
Another glimpse at the Knott family and changing times in North Carolina. Land deals and maneuvering entangle the Knotts and their neighbors as old rivalries flare over the possible development of nearby land. Old friends are murdered and it's not clear who was involved. Deborah's old husband returns, still mired in his hound-dog ways and is a suspect in his Uncle's death. Even Adam, Deborah's down on his luck brother in from California, and one of her nephew's are suspects. Gentle humor is mixe ...more
Kevin Kern
May 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
I loved all these books 20 years ago and still do. I give it 4.5 stars and suggest it to all mystery lovers, who also love great locale descriptions. This one is about land grabs of our farm lands. I have decided we have learned nothing in 20 years and more. We cannot keep using good farmland to make developments for the up and coming. Judge Deborah Knott comes from a fascinating family and this book was all about the problems of one brother and how it intertwined with the rest of the neighborho ...more
Caitlin
Jul 18, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery-series
As I continue to tear through books (not literally!), I've come to really appreciate the narrator for the series. I've also come to appreciate the quotations at the beginning of chapters.
Deborah Knott finds herself at odds with her family and community as a debate rages over whether to sell land to developers. Of course no one wants to change the feel of the community, but there's a lot of money to be had. Add in a few murders, and Deborah starts to wonder if she really even knows her family.
Ano
Rebekkila
Jul 30, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: bookcrossing, mystery
When The-Quilt-Lady sent this to me, she said that I might enjoy it because it was set in the South. She was right. Ihave never read this author before but I loved the little small town story and I am a fan of mystery. Judge Deborah Knott gets involved in a neighbors murder and one of her 11 brothers may be the culprit. Along the way her ex-husband shows up and brings some much unwanted excitement to her life.
Marcia Killingsworth
Feb 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
These books (the Deborah Knott series) just keep getting better. I love Deborah's family and their different approaches to and feelings about the family's land rings so truly. And the land is what this mystery is about. I also adore Deb'rah's new love interest, and am glad he's been hanging around for a couple of books. I hope he's still part of her story for a long time to come. (I'm eager to see Deborah deal with a surly teenager.)
Debbie
Sep 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
Judge Deborah Knott gets into another bind.
This one involves her brothers and her ex husband.
I like Margaret Maron's writing about North Carolina, and the flavor, tempo and description of the people living there.
My husband and I follow NASCAR and are intrigued with the immigrants who settled in North Carolina in the late 1800s.
Katherine Clark
I read this for the Monograph. Winner of the Agatha Award for Best Novel. Odd style of writing--meanders with murder almost secondary to issues of family and propinquity. This won the Agatha at the same time as Anne George's Girls Night Out, another mystery with a southern setting. I find that interesting.
Jen
Oct 03, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery-suspense
Hated the 'preacher' and the 'pragmatist' voices. Enjoyed the look into a southern lifestyle, and the huge family. I think it would take me reading a lot of books in this series, with a cheat sheet to go with it, to ever know who is who in her family. If I were given another book in this series I wouldn't return it without reading it, but I wouldn't search out any other books by this author.
Stephanie
Jun 21, 2008 rated it really liked it
I always enjoy Margaret Maron's Deborah Knott books. There is wonderful feel for setting in her books. We live not far from the area she writes about and I really enjoy the insight into Eastern Carolinians.
Judy
Nov 24, 2016 rated it liked it
Is it too much to ask for a quiet and peaceful Thanksgiving weekend? Obviously it is when your small, rural North Carolina community is rocked by the news of two murders and your father is one of the prime suspects.
Bonnie
Jul 19, 2009 rated it really liked it
Another fun book in the Deborah Knott series (#4). The characters continue to engage me. I look forward to to reading as much about about Deborah Knott and her family as I do about the plot. In this book, the murders happen in Deborah’s home town and it is over land.
Ed
Feb 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
#4 in the Deborah Knott series. 1996 Agatha Award for Best Novel.

Judge Deborah Knott mystery - Eastern NC's fictional Colleton County is the scene for murder, inheritance, and land development schemes which involve the extensive Knott family.

Jamie Brooks
Mar 01, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2011, mystery
This one was just "eh" I felt like they werent really following the murder style plot here. I kept forgetting I was even reading a murder mystery, then they would randomly mention it and I would think "oh yeah, thats right". I think she definitly could have made this a lot better.
  • Mistletoe Man (China Bayles, #9)
  • O Little Town of Maggody (Arly Hanks, #7)
  • Watery Grave (Sir John Fielding, #3)
  • Some Die Eloquent (Inspector Sloan #8)
  • Gone to Her Death (Lloyd & Hill, #3)
  • I Shall Not Want (Rev. Clare Fergusson & Russ Van Alstyne Mysteries, #6)
  • April Fool Dead (Death on Demand, #13)
  • A Wild and Lonely Place (Sharon McCone, #15)
  • If I'd Killed Him When I Met Him... (Elizabeth MacPherson, #8)
Born and raised in central North Carolina, Margaret Maron lived in Italy before returning to the USA where she and her husband now live. In addition to a collection of short stories she's also the author of 16 mystery novels. Her works have been translated into seven languages her Bootlegger's Daughter, a Washington Post Bestseller won Edgar Anthony, Agatha, and Macavity awards. She is a past pres ...more
More about Margaret Maron

Deborah Knott Mysteries (1 - 10 of 20 books)
  • Bootlegger's Daughter (Deborah Knott Mysteries, #1)
  • Southern Discomfort (Deborah Knott Mysteries, #2)
  • Shooting at Loons (Deborah Knott Mysteries, #3)
  • Killer Market (Deborah Knott Mysteries #5)
  • Home Fires (Deborah Knott Mysteries, #6)
  • Storm Track (Deborah Knott Mysteries, #7)
  • Uncommon Clay (Deborah Knott Mysteries, #8)
  • Slow Dollar (Deborah Knott Mysteries, #9)
  • High Country Fall (Deborah Knott Mysteries, #10)
  • Rituals of the Season (Deborah Knott Mysteries, #11)

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• A Quiet Life In The Country (Lady Hardcastle Mysteries #1)
  • Pretty Girls Dancing
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Deliver Her
    $1.99 $0.99
  • The River Is Dark (Liam Dempsey, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Dark Monk (The Hangman's Daughter, #2)
    $6.49 $1.99
  • Rain Girl (Franza Oberwieser, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Silent Harmony (Fairmont Riding Academy, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Shuddering
  • The Unseeing
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The 7th Canon
  • The Sisterhood
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Bum Rap (Jake Lassiter #10)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Question of Inheritance (A Very English Mystery #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Hunt (Atlanta Burns, #2)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • The Good Neighbor
    $3.99 $2.00
  • The Widow File (Dani Britton, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Cater Street Hangman (Charlotte & Thomas Pitt, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Shark Skin Suite (Serge Storms #18)
    $12.99 $1.99
  • Atlanta Burns (Atlanta Burns #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Free Fall (The John Ceepak Mysteries)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Interference
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Man of Some Repute (A Very English Mystery #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • In The Market For Murder (Lady Hardcastle Mysteries #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Beggar King (The Hangman's Daughter, #3)
    $6.49 $1.99
  • The Poisoned Pilgrim (The Hangman's Daughter, #4)
    $6.49 $1.99
  • As The Crow Flies (DI Nick Dixon #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • End of Secrets
    $4.49 $0.99
  • Only the Rain
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Eagle Has Landed (The Liam Devlin Novels)
  • The Lost Ones
  • The Halo Effect
  • The God's Eye View
  • What She Knew
  • Everyone Pays
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Werewolf of Bamberg (The Hangman's Daughter, # 5)
    $6.49 $1.99
  • The 7th Victim: A Novel: Volume 1 (The Karen Vail Novels)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Shattered Tree (Bess Crawford, #8)
  • The Dante Club
  • Grit
  • Fatal Tide
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Trinity Game (The Game Trilogy Book 1)
  • Live by Night
    $8.99 $2.99
  • The Traitor's Story
  • The Lost Girls
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Gordonston Ladies Dog Walking Club
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Deadly Summer (Darling Investigations #1)
  • Depth of Lies
    $3.99 $2.00
  • Supreme Justice (Reeder and Rogers #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • When They Come for You (Harper McDaniel #1)
    $4.99 $2.00
  • The Dead Cat Bounce (Home Repair is Homicide Mystery #1)
  • Gone South