Start by marking “Ritu Weds Chandni” as Want to Read:
Ritu Weds Chandni

Ritu Weds Chandni

Little Ayesha is all excited for her favorite cousin Ritu's wedding. She can't wait to dance in the baraat ceremony! But not everyone is happy that Ritu is marrying her girlfriend Chandni. Some have even vowed to stop the celebrations. Will Ayesha be able to save her cousin's big day?

This vibrant book sets the story of a same-sex couple struggling to gain acceptance agains
Published December 1st 2020 by Yali Publishing LLC

To ask other readers questions about Ritu Weds Chandni, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ritu Weds Chandni

Start your review of Ritu Weds Chandni
Reading_ Tam_ Ishly
Sep 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is such a damn liberating read! More so because it's based on a conservative society and more so because the couple are women!

I just love the concept and the idea behind this children's story book. As such there's severe lack of such books, books on queer and LGBTQIA plus, and more so because of the gender represented. I myself tend to read more of MM books when it comes to reading queer books. Time to change that. And this book is just the basic start!

And yes, this book is quite apt for c
Fanna
October 23, 2020: An important book that shines a light on homophobia and equally resists it through the eyes of a little child who's simply excited to dance at her cousin's same sex marriage.

↦ the happiness, excitement, and celebration around a desi wedding.
↦ narrated in a way to highlight the disapproval of society and some family members but also showcasing the pure delight through those who are attending the wedding.
↦ easily infuses the notion that a marriage is a marriage, and can be carri
Sahitya
CW: homophobia (challenged)

I technically don’t read children’s books at all because I don’t have kids and I’m not that interested either. But as soon as I saw the premise of this one, I knew I couldn’t let it go. And it was so beautiful.

As the author mentions in his note, India just decriminalized same sex relationships last year, and there is no legal recourse for such couples to marry yet. And while there is activism and more awareness building day by day, there is still a large part of the
aarya
2020 Winter Bingo (#SnowInLoveBingo❄️): Brown Eyes

CW: (view spoiler)

I am EMOTIONAL. Please buy this wonderful picture book for all the children in your life.

Disclaimer: I received a free e-ARC from the publisher in exchange for an honest review.
Resh (The Book Satchel)
This is a sweet story about Ritu marrying Chandni and the wedding celebrations that follow. Ritu's young cousin Ayesha is very excited about the wedding but she sees concern in her parents' faces. She is also surprised to see some of her relatives missing from the wedding celebrations. This is a book about redefining traditions—what is wrong with a bride leading the baraat—and standing up against hate and homophobia.

Colourful, striking illustrations complete the north Indian wedding scenes. I r
San
Sep 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
This is an absolutely stunning and very important children's book that will help them learn about LGBT+ relationships. I'm really happy that we're getting more books about it topic.
The story is told form the Ayesha's POV. She's a little girl excited about her cousin Ritu's wedding with her girlfriend Chandni and can't wait to dance in the baraat. Unfortunately some family members didn't want to attend their wedding and some people even try to stop it.
The illustrations in this book are so colorfu
Trio
I couldn't resist Ritu Weds Chandni when I saw it on NetGalley. The stunning cover caught my eye, and I loved the premise of a young girl eagerly anticipating the wedding of her cousin.

Aware of the negative reaction to two women marrying, the families of Ritu and Chandni proceed with their planned celebration. Members of the community (as well as some of their relatives) show up to spoil the festivities, and do their best to ruin this beautiful tradition.

Young Ayesha stands up for her cousin and
Maryam || a_typical_teen_reader
An enchanting and eye-opening book. It was beautiful and i really recommend that you read it. I loved the indian representation and the pure innocence and joy of Ayesha. As beautiful as it was, it showcased important things, and how people are still so unaccepting towards someones happiness.
Parijat (bookish__cafe)
Nov 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Ritu Weds Chandni by Ameya Narvankar
Rating: 5/5

Little Ayesha is all excited about her favorite cousin Ritu’s wedding. She can’t wait to dance at the baraat ceremony! But not everyone is happy that Ritu is marrying her girlfriend Chandni. Some have even vowed to stop the celebrations. Will Ayesha be able to save her cousin’s big day?

Being a part of a large family, I have attended weddings where relatives, cousins gather together and have immense fun. I always believe that weddings are a great way
lauraღ
Sep 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lgbtqia, children, arcs
"My Ritu didi is getting married today, and I'm going to dance in her baraat all the way!"

Absolutely adorable and important children's book that follows a young Indian girl at her cousin's wedding. But her cousin is marrying another woman, and not everyone is happy about that. It's a simple book with a strong message about standing up to intolerance, and finding joy and happiness despite adversity. It's written simply enough for its audience, and has a nice little glossary of Hindi words at the
Sim
What a beautiful picture book 😍 Desi children need this book! The illustrations are so wonderful and in the times where same sex marriage is still a distant thing in Desi culture, this book brings a hope and a chance to educate our children on the topic.
Lovely book that will surely put a smile on your face. I wish I could get a copy of this someday.
Arin
Dec 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
This book was so good! If I ever end up having children I will definitely end up getting a copy to read them. I loved seeing these events from the perspective of a child, it helps reinforce the idea that children are not born with bigotry in their hearts, they are taught it by parents or peers. I would recommend this book for about second or third graders, potentially first but they may have a hard time with some of the longer sentences.
Swati
Oct 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Ameya Narvankar’s Ritu Weds Chandni starts off on a joyous note. Little Ayesha is thrilled because “her favourite cousin is getting married…” Everyone is decked up and getting ready to dance in the baraat, she sings. The family sets out to the bride, Ritu’s house and memories of her brother Deepak’s wedding flood Ayesha’s mind.

But we see the first signs of trouble brewing as Ayesha’s mother says that traditionally it’s the groom who leads the baraat. Not everyone is going to share Ayesha’s happ
Anandi Puritipati
Oct 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
ARC provided by the publisher via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. All opinions are my own

This was the cutest little picture book ever! I love how the author chose the perspective of innocence and pure love of Ayesha to show us the very hard and heartbreaking reality when it comes to the acceptance of any form of queerness in Indian culture and society.

There is just something so beautiful and devastating about how easy it is for Ayesha to love and accept her didi for who she is, and
Sindhuja ♡
Oct 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
This book is truly an eye opener. It perfectly portrayed the conservative society that's occupied with homophobic, anti-feminist, misogynist and racist ideas. The only thing we could do to make this society, a happy place, is to educate our children to respect other's opinions and treat everyone equally. ...more
Pavitra (For The Love of Fictional Worlds)

Disclaimer: An eARC was provided via Publisher via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. The Thoughts, opinions & feelings expressed in the review are therefore, my own.

This beautifully illustrated desi novel is all about acceptance and support for love - no matter whom you fall in love with.

It is cute, adorable and gives you all the feels - it’s a very short book; but it packs a punch into a reading of what would be a maximum of 10-15 minutes!

It also reads to be a very good introdu
Darsana
Here’s the thing – if you grew up in India in the late 90’s and 2000’s, you had limited exposure to queer and sapphic representation. Sure, there was that one Bollywood movie called Girlfriend but it only really depicted an unhealthy relationship and not much else.
So what I’d like to do is to thank Ameya Narvankar for creating this lovely little book about a Queer Indian wedding (Hindu customs. Not all indian weddings are hindu weddings) Ritu weds Chandni is about a wedding between the eponymous
RoshReviews
Dec 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Lucy Goodfellow
book cover

⭐ 4 STARS ⭐

Ritu Weds Chandni is a charming picture book that celebrates love. With beautiful vibrant illustrations and a simple storyline that is sure to please even the pickiest young reader, this graphic novel will teach your child about the importance of growth and acceptance in a family.
This book does not shy away from the intricacies of queer existence in India. It confronts homophobia at the source and celebrates change in a delightfully whimsical way.

You Should Read This Book if you Lik
layla⚡
eARC provided by the publisher via netgalley in exchange for an honest review. all opinions are my own

rep :
⚢ wlw couple
⚢ indian characters

R I T U W E D S C H A N D N I

why you need this story in your life ( regardless of your age ) :

➤ features a wlw couple getting married as the central storyline — in a traditional manner, the same way weddings of straight couples are carried out, cleverly indicating that same-sex couples aren't an alien concept that does not adhere to tradition and custom.
Isaiah
Dec 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
To see more reviews check out MI Book Reviews.

I got an ARC of this book.

Get your tissues ready. Ayesha is the ally of dreams. She not only loves her family, but she can’t even fathom why someone wouldn’t be excited over two people celebrating their love. She is the first one to stand up for her family and she is truly what an ally should be. She may be young, but she is brave and full of love. She made me tear up near the end, I just wasn’t expecting this.

The book is written by a man, who in his
Andrea
Oct 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
As a kid (that would be the late 90s and early 2000s) I never once read a book representing same-sex couples and I'm so happy that stories like this one are out there now.

This book starts a much needed discussion and does so through the eyes of a child. All Ayesha wants is for her cousin Ritu to be happy on her wedding day and doesn't understand why others wouldn't. As children, we don't care if our cousin is marring a man or a woman, all we want is for her to marry someone who loves her and mak
Charvi
Sep 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: loved-it-tier
This is the sort of book every child needs.
The illustrations are so colourful and intricate, they immediately draw you in the vibrant setting of the wedding. Ayesha's excitement is absolutely infectious and overall this book does such a great job of both, exploring Indian culture and weddings as well as queer relationships.

My 19 year old desi self is in tears because I want to immediately buy hundreds of copies and give them to every kid I know. Truly a beautiful story ❤

Muskan | The Quirky Reader
Sep 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
To say I loved this book would be an understatement!
It was so refreshing and such a delight to see LGBTQIA representation in a conservative society. It was shown in a way I can actually see it around me.
I wish there were more customs highlighted which would've made the book so much more fun to read. But otherwise, it was amazing!
A perfect way to educate kids about non-heterosexual couples the right way.
Mis Hashmi
Dec 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I was provided with an ARC of this book via Netgalley

I never knew a picture book could make me cry, but this one did.

A heart-warming tale with an important social message, Ritu Weds Chandni is the book we have been waiting for. This book combines storytelling with vibrant colors, which makes it very memorable. The story is relatively simple, yet makes such an impact! I can't wait for kids to pick this book up, and I really wish I had it growing up. I love how it normalizes sapphic relationships,
Prachi Pati
Sep 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A must read book for children, to make them aware about the importance of love and acceptance. I loved the vibrant illustrations and being an Indian, could absolutely relate to the cultural references from the book.
Ankita Goswami
Sep 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Barely a 15-min long read, this children's picture book about a lesbian wedding in India is extremely cute and visually pleasing. I love how it is from the perspective of a very young girl who doesn't view a marriage between two women as "unnatural" or "weird". This is the kind of fairytale I want every child (and homophobic adult) in India to read. ...more
mohini☆
4.5
This is a kind of a book I want to see getting picked up in the stores by the parents for their children here in India!

Why I picked this: Name, Cover, Indian wedding, LGBT rep in a children’s book with Indian cultural backdrop (!!!)

It’s a real shame, though same-sex relationships now decriminalized, Supreme Court denied same-sex marriage acceptance in India 2 weeks ago.

This was such a short, sweet and adorable little book which is full of hope, joy and unbiased love.

Young Ayesha is excited
Melina Lobo
Sep 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
My Ritu Didi is getting married today and I'm going to dance in her baraat all the way
🦄🦄🦄
Ritu Weds Chandni is an LGBTQ+ children's illustrated book by Ameya Narveankar which was such a joy to read. As the author pointed out, growing up we didn't get to read books on same sex marriage and do they took it upon themselves to write their own book explaining to children that even though society does not approve, love is love is love is love.
I love the way the illustrations were done and how the stor
Barbara
Oct 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
Ritu Weds Chandni is a very sweet children's book, filled with beautiful drawings and even more beautiful sentiments. I'm sure young readers will have lots of questions to ask their parents, relatives or friends when they read this.

A young girl is excited to see her favourite cousin marry her girlfriend and can't understand why a lot of the family are not going to the wedding, or why the neighbours seem so angry that the two brides will be riding to their wedding on horses with a procession of m
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Juliet Takes a Breath: The Graphic Novel
  • Mary: The Adventures of Mary Shelley's Great-Great-Great-Great-Great-Granddaughter
  • In Love & Pajamas: A Collection of Comics about Being Yourself Together
  • How to Be Ace: A Memoir of Growing Up Asexual
  • Quincredible Vol. 1: Quest to Be the Best!
  • Whisper Me a Love Song (Whisper Me a Love Song, #1)
  • Land of the Cranes
  • Cool Maths: 50 Fantastic Facts for Kids of All Ages
  • Highway of Tears: A True Story of Racism, Indifference and the Pursuit of Justice for Missing and Murdered Indigenous Women and Girls
  • Bread for Words: A Frederick Douglass Story
  • The Water Walker
  • Ana on the Edge
  • Saltypie: A Choctaw Journey from Darkness into Light
  • A Place at the Table
Ameya Narvankar is a multi-disciplinary designer, storyteller, and visual artist from India. An alumnus of Industrial Design Centre (IDC) at IIT-Bombay, he has always believed in ‘design for change’ and with his first published children’s book as an author and illustrator, he hopes that ‘Ritu weds Chandni’ will not only have a positive impact on society but also win their hearts. He is also fond o ...more