Start by marking “The Gap Into Ruin: This Day All Gods Die (Gap, #5)” as Want to Read:
The Gap Into Ruin: This Day All Gods Die (Gap, #5)

The Gap Into Ruin: This Day All Gods Die

(The Gap Cycle #5)

From the bestselling author of Chaos and Order comes the conclusion of the Gap series. As the crew attempts to pursue the pirate ship Soar and her captain, their hopes turn to Angus Thermopyle. Angus, Morn Hyland, and her son, Davies, race home, unaware that Warden Dios and The Dragon are locked in a final confrontation that may alter the fate of humankind forever. HC: Ban ...more
Published April 1st 1996 by Spectra (first published January 1st 1996)

To ask other readers questions about The Gap Into Ruin, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Gap Into Ruin

Start your review of The Gap Into Ruin: This Day All Gods Die (Gap, #5)
Jack
Mar 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
If you can't stand violence, horrible people and or anything unpleasant do not even think of touching these books. They will utterly repulse you, and probably scar you for life.

But they are fantastic.

The Gap series, spanning five novels is a saga of abhorrent charters, deep space and political backstabbing and intrigue. By the time the third novel starts it's moving at a breakneck pace, leaping between multiple viewpoints, (about ten characters) all moving against one another, judging motivati
Emily
Jun 09, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: sci fi fans
Shelves: novels
Stephen Donaldson's "Gap" series is one my favorite series.

My father handed me the first one, saying, "This is full of violence and rape and you'll probably hate all the characters in this first book, but the story just keeps getting better."

He was right. The story begins with a space pirate attack on a police ship and the "rescue" of the last survivor on the police ship and concludes with the human race fighting the Amnion, an alien species capable of extreme genetic manipulation. Despite the
Wanda

Put a mark on the wall, I actually enjoyed a SRD book! Nevertheless, I’m glad to be finished this particular series and know where all the chips have fallen. I will give Donaldson this, he is particularly skillful at recognizing when to end a chapter and when to switch view-points. I found his timing in this book to be right on the money.

I don’t require likeable characters, but for whatever reason, I find SRD’s characters to be particularly difficult to care about. What I could get into
Sumant
Aug 07, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: sci-fi, gap-cycle
There are many reasons for me not liking the concluding book in Gap series, I am going to try listing few of them below.

1. Poorly edited.

This is one of the biggest reasons because I don't know what the editor was thinking when reviewing this book. This book is 500 pages long but the story could have been told in just 300 pages.

2. Predictable plot.

This book is predictable from page 50, you know what is going to happen from that page, and Donaldson does not surprise you a bit when you reach page 5
Kate
Aug 29, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2009, sci-fi
A wonderful, gripping and devastating finish to this series. Despite Angus being the biggest badass in the history of SF (especially in the first book), you can't help cheering him on in this one.

I have to admit to feeling very emotional at the end of the story. Warden Dios's message to Morn was a fitting ending to this emotional rollercoaster of a series. His ultimate sacrifice was worthwhile to ensure that all was set right but devastating in the same way that Covenant's loss was.

All in all, t
Thomas Stacey
Oct 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
And so ends the finest sci fi series I’ve ever had the pleasure of reading.

This beats Red Rising.

It’s even more epic then Dune :O

I seriously want to give this guy a standing ovation.

Over 5 books Donaldson has weaved together a dark, unpredictable and incredibly compelling story with unforgettable characters that grabs you by the scruff of your neck and doesn’t let go until you’ve made that final inevitable Gap jump into Ruin.

Not much else to say except if you haven’t read this yet you are in fo
Kostas
9/10

'This Day All Gods Die' closes the series with an epic finale with Donaldson bringing all that he was building from the previous books in a story with full with intrigues, politics, battles, suspense and with some very unexpected twists.

The story in this book focuses, mostly, in only one place: Suka Bator, the center of the Council of GCES, and also the UMCP's Headquarters which, together - and with unexpected alliances, they will have to find a solution of the UMCP's corruption and schemes
Lynne
May 18, 2009 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: mature adults
Recommended to Lynne by: found it at Science Fiction Book club
Shelves: fantasy-sci-fi
Describe any Donaldson novel/series in a paragraph. I dare you. I'm not going to review each book; it was too long ago that I read them. However: If you like your sci-fi straight up, no water or ice, this series will satisfy like 21-year-old Glenlivet single-malt.

Donaldson is an opera enthusiast, Wagner a particular favorite, and the Ring cycle is the inspiration for the story in this five-book series. As usual, the story hasn't been culled from other sci-fi and hasn't been imitated by others. D
Steven Ackerley
Jul 30, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've just re-read The Gap Series (I'm lending them to a friend) and I am still in love with this sequence of books. As usual, Donaldson puts his characters through the wringer, every action has a consequence and the decisions made are always too expensive. He makes heroes out of seemingly ordinary people, the line between good and bad is always a blur and he'll even make you see hope in the most terrible of situations.

It's also a very believable future story, as much as I desire The Culture, I t
Aaron Carlberg
Aug 09, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I gave this 5 stars because after taking so long for the series to get going (I actually felt sick after the first book and half of the second...but I think that was the point), the way Donaldson ends it all was great. I probably won't read the series again because I felt depressed and sad after the first book to the point that I wish I could have scrubbed my brain!
John
Nov 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Wow, so sad it's over! What a great series and such an exciting finale!

Donaldson has long been one of my top Fantasy writers and it's a rare thing to see me reading SciFi. He is just that good.

I would STRONGLY recommend this series to anyone, but be warned: not for the faint of heart!
Bingo
May 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Rich, tense, alive. What an incredible experience!

The final installment of the Gap Series plays its own part in the well composed structure of this five piece novel. It doesn't just contain the ending, rather, from the first to the last page, it is the ending. The events of the previous volumes have set up the circumstances for The Gap into Ruin, now everything is in place as it begins. The route toward the end is well over 600 pages, and the beauty of it all is that Donaldson used the space to
Troy G
Dec 01, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed
The Gap series is something that only Stephen R. Donaldson could write. Most of the characters have redeeming virtues. Twists and turns recasting the Hero as the Villain, the Villain as the Slave, the Slave as the Hero. In this book we learn why these people have been tormented by themselves and others through the last 4 books.

We see higher level political implications of the plights of the characters. The higher level ramifications are both more and less satisfying than the close up portraits.
Pamela
Dec 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I find it humorous the so many "one starrers" made it through five volumes only to keep bitching (oops) about the profanity, and the vulgarity, and the very sordid nature of the characters , the situations, and I guess the writer. Hey, he came up with it after all. I don't know. It would be easy to attack those people and sooo tempting but.... Life isn't always pretty. And tough situations force people to make tough choices. Sometimes they are left with no choice at all. Sound a bit like Angus T ...more
Poetic Justice
Mar 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Stephen R. Donaldson was an apocalypse for me. I've known this pentalogy for years, but lacking *inside* information on its intricately spun plot and expert lexical needlecraft, took me a long time to get up close and personal with it.

It takes a rare kind of intelligence to be able to juggle between hundreds of different threads without losing the beat of the general story. The abysmal darkness of the human psyche and its hardwired longing for redemption especially when all bets are off, coupled
Jon
Apr 03, 2014 rated it liked it
A stolid (as SRD might use it) conclusion to a really ambitious and mostly successful series. I find it hard to evaluate any but the first book without referencing the others. In that light, there was too much redundancy; it's effective in the first book because of the perspective shifts, but in the latter books, we're really only getting "the real story". So why retell it dozens (literally) of times?

I was also never fully invested in Fasner's villainy, nor did the overall governmental structure
Leeanne
Sep 01, 2009 rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite series! It's kind of amazing that I made it to the last book since I really did not enjoy the first two. And in fact, I didn't enjoy ANY of his Thomas Covenant series. But for some reason I contined to read. And books 3-5 were well worth it! Some of the best SF writing I have read.
Richard
Jan 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
OMG!!!! TO SAY THE THRILLING CONCLUSION IS TO UNDER-RATE IT!!!! This is an amazing end to a full and complex story of political intrigue, tragedy (both personal and interstellar), corruption(see last parentheses ) , and the final fight for the fate of our race!
Devbear
Sep 13, 2007 rated it it was amazing
I love this book -- a truly spectacular ending to a series that addresses interesting questions of what makes us human and what makes us do the things we do.
Adam
Feb 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Awesome conclusion to my favourite 'mature' sci fi saga. If you like some sci in your fi, enjoy real characterisations, and want to be enthralled, start with book one and get in.
John Dow
Apr 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: science-fiction
Absolutely magnificent in every way. It's been at least two and a half decades since I read this series last and it really has matured with the years.
16s
Jul 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This series is just awesome. Just read it!!
Sean
Sep 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Yup it can and did get better wow!!! Every person who reads scifi needs to read this series
Thomas Panzarello
Sep 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite series!
Alicia Koster
Jul 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Simply Amazing...but not simple at all!!!
Cheesewheels
Oct 09, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nobody tells a story quite like Donaldson.
Joy
Sep 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Denis
Jun 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is a difficult series to get into, because the first two (or so) books are endlessly traumatizing - to the female protagonist, and to you, the reader, if you have any decency. It was only the fact that the series was recommended so highly by a friend (a female ethics professor, at that) that kept me trudging through the first two books. After that, though, the brutality diminishes - at least, the brutality against vulnerable characters, though the initial scenes still motivate the story arc ...more
John Morris
May 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This represents my favourite book series, which I have read and reread many times. It needs to be read at deeper levels, otherwise the immediate construct of extreme misogynism will deflect the reader from a beautifully balanced series of novels.

To me, these books (five) represent an examination in detail about the usage of power versus the rights of the individual. An alien race become involved, as do several characters intent upon galactic domination by self. It mirrors today's society nicely–
Alain
Well, that's that. I very much enjoyed the series. Not for everyone though.

World-building, top notch. Characterization just fine (and you'll still hate them all - Asshole Angus rocked it though). Action, superb (editing needs some work).

The initial third section of the novel sucks large at pacing - way too many 'podium' style messaging with an overabundance of angst getting in the way of good characterization, but the later parts reward the patient; the final battles near Earth orbit are very s
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• The Many-Coloured Land (Saga of Pliocene Exile, #1)
  • The Nonborn King (Saga of the Pliocene Exile, #3)
  • The Golden Torc (Saga of the Pliocene Exile, #2)
  • Diamond Mask (Galactic Milieu Trilogy, #2)
  • Mercenary (Bio of a Space Tyrant, #2)
  • Magnificat (Galactic Milieu Trilogy, #3)
  • Jack the Bodiless (Galactic Milieu Trilogy #1)
  • Intervention (Intervention #1-2)
  • The Adversary (Saga of Pliocene Exile, #4)
  • The Many Coloured Land & The Golden Torc
  • Orion Arm (Rampart Worlds, #2)
  • Perseus Spur (Rampart Worlds #1)
  • Koko
  • Beyond the Dragon's Gate
  • The Problem with Men: When is International Men’s Day? (And Why it Matters)
  • Showdown (Paradise, #1)
  • The Priest's Graveyard
  • The Bride Collector
Stephen Reeder Donaldson is an American fantasy, science fiction, and mystery novelist; in the United Kingdom he is usually called "Stephen Donaldson" (without the "R"). He has also written non-fiction under the pen name Reed Stephens.

EARLY LIFE AND EDUCATION:

Stephen R. Donaldson was born May 13, 1947 in Cleveland, Ohio. His father, James, was a medical missionary and his mother, Ruth, a prostheti

The Gap Cycle (5 books)
  • The Gap Into Conflict: The Real Story (Gap, #1)
  • The Gap Into Vision: Forbidden Knowledge (Gap, #2)
  • The Gap Into Power: A Dark and Hungry God Arises (Gap, #3)
  • The Gap Into Madness: Chaos and Order (Gap, #4)

News & Interviews