Start by marking “Death & Decluttering (Sparks & Joy #1)” as Want to Read:
Death & Decluttering (Sparks & Joy #1)

Death & Decluttering

(Sparks & Joy #1)

Joy Russo loves chaos. From her life as a busy reporter to her brawling, coffee-obsessed Italian family, there’s nothing she loves more than her messy, little life. Then the weird, slightly out-of-this-world Aurora Sparks arrives, whose life seems to revolve around creating order out of chaos.

The two of them have somehow ended up as roommates in the small Upstate New Yor
Published June 23rd 2020 by McGovern Books

To ask other readers questions about Death & Decluttering, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Death & Decluttering

Start your review of Death & Decluttering (Sparks & Joy #1)
Sue Buck
Sep 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
Great story.

The first in the series by Nancy McGovern and I really enjoyed the story. A lot of different characters to keep track of but once you got into the story line it was easy to see how everyone connected. I can't wait to read her next one to find what Joy and Aurora get into .
Siobhan
Jan 01, 2021 rated it liked it
Death & Decluttering is the first book in Nancy McGovern’s Sparks & Joy series, and it was an entertaining start to the series. For those interested in easy mysteries, the cosy sort, this is a great introduction to the characters.

Death & Decluttering is a story that moves quickly, one that packs plenty into the pages. It is a quick read, but each element ensures you’re left desperate to see what happens next. With plenty of different theories included, the simple mystery takes you on a journey b
Susan Hawkins
Oct 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Excellent cozy mystery

This was well-written and entertaining. The ending was a complete surprise. It was clean and I enjoyed the cluttering tasks.
John Presler
Sep 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Aurora Sparks has quit her job and is moving to Bend River, New York. Fortunately for her, she inherited half of a house and the timing couldn't be better. Joy Russo inherited the other half of the house. Joy was both surprised and angered, as she had been certain she would inherit the entire house. Who Aurora Sparks is and how did she get Joy's maternal grandfather to leave her half of the house? Will the two women be able to work together to make the housing arrangement a success?

Joy gets a c
Toni
Jun 27, 2020 rated it really liked it

This is the first book in the Spark & Joy series by Nancy McGovern.

I picked this up on a whim from the Kindle store. I have been on a decluttering kick lately and thought it would be a fun read. Wow, was I right. This was not only fun but pretty intense for a cozy mystery. I had myself a little stress fest here and there while reading it. That shows that the characters are fully blown people who can make me feel all the feels.

This is definitely a series I want to continue with. There wa
JANE VAN HORN
Jun 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mcgovern-nancy
Excellent start

What an awesome start to what I hope to be an awesome new series by Nancy McGovern. I can't wait for the next book.
Marissa Greathouse
Oct 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Who done it?!?

Interesting and funny with an unexpected twist to the mystery- really enjoyed this book and this family! Can't wait for the next one!
Debbie Smith
Jan 17, 2021 rated it really liked it
Though I enjoy cozy mysteries, they usually aren’t my favorites. However, I’ve discovered an author who won’t have any trouble gaining my interest from now on. Death & Decluttering was so much fun that I can’t wait to pick up the next book in the series.

Aurora and Joy are introduced when both find they’ve inherited 50% of Joy’s grandfather’s house. Though Joy is filled with gratitude, it doesn’t come as a complete surprise. But who is Aurora? How did she fall into line for such an inheritance?

So
Ann
Aug 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Spark lived in the city. She had a argument with her boss and quit her job. Next day she's notified by a
attorney. Oh no my X-boss must be suing me. Ends up she inherited half of a house from a man she never heard of. Thinking it would be a new start she packed and headed to this little town unknown. She meets Joy the girl living in the house. They didnt seem to get along to well after talking and learning the two would share the house. Enter a ostrich with a man hanging on him- yes thats what I
Trish Goodgame
Jul 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A thoroughly enjoyable cozy mystery

I really enjoyed this story about Aurora and Joy, who inherited 50% each of Joy's grandfather's house. Aurora was a complete stranger and didn't know why half the house had been left to her until quite a way through the story. Joy was not impressed with her grandfather's will, but after initial animosity the two women gradually became more comfortable around each other, even though they are the most opposite personalities possible.
A murder occurs and somehow Jo
Sharon Leff
Sep 30, 2020 rated it really liked it
Small Town Sleuths Solvers

For Aurora, a surprising inheritance promises her a fresh start in a small town while also ensuring some inevitable curiosities, suspicions, and questions. Upon arriving at the inherited property of which she owns half, she meets current occupant, Joy, who had been caring for her dying grandfather at the residence.

Before Aurora can fully settle into her new living arrangements, she learns that the attorney, who had contacted her about the inheritance, has been shot, no
jospeh jack
Aug 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
WOW!😍I HOPE FOLKS WHO ARE INTERESTED IN AWESOME MYSTERY STORYLINES !

BUY THIS BOOK NOW!😍😊😀😀😀 SERIOUSLY, MONEY 💰IS HARD TO HAVE FOR BUYING
PURCHASES AND I KNOW BUYING A BOOK NOW CAN BE TOUGH TO JUSTIFIABLE ! I URGE YOU TO 👀 SEE THIS BOOK ☝IS A WONDERFUL STRESS RELIEF! SO I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THIS BOOK AND AUTHOR!😍RELAX WITH IT FOR A BREAK FROM ALL YOU DO AND 👌KNOW THAT EVERYONE NEEDS TO FIND A STRESS RELEASE!😍 NOW GO BUY THIS SPLENDID, WELL WRITTEN CHARACTERS IN THIS BOOK ☝!😍

SrJean
Jun 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Fun read

Death &Decluttering is the 1st in a new cozy mystery series. It is a page-turner, fun and intriguing. Spark and Joy are evidence that opposites attract — and clash. This installment does a good job of filling in the backgrounds of these two characters, whom I hope will have many more adventures and mysteries to solve.
Mary Lou Fineman
Jul 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Italian family members can relate.

If you like cozy mysteries, if you have a bit of Italian (or Irish...like the Sullivan family) in your heritage, if you like Italian food, you'll want to read this book. I really enjoyed the two girls and the pet ostrich. Here's hoping there's another book soon.
Reads A-Lot
Nov 07, 2020 rated it it was ok
Aurora and Joy were 2 opposites that inherited a house and were now miserable roommates and essentially stuck with each other. Joy wasn’t happy that her Nonno (what?) willed her half of the house to some stranger. How odd, really.

The start is full of character intros and figuring out who’s who in the family. The whole thing was slow and not very interesting.
JOHN ABBATE
Nov 27, 2020 rated it really liked it

This is a very light, fast reading cozy with lots of twists and turns. The main characters were a little too nasty for my taste but I loved Philbert the ostrich. While it is all tied up in the end, there were questions which should have been asked along the way that weren't. If you want a light, get away from it all book, this might be for you.
Annette Sullivan
Nov 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Good

For a short story this one has well rounded, fleshed out characters. It was easy to see them all as I read. I liked the bird! The plot was very well thought out and planned out so enticingly with a fast pace and new corners to see around with a surprising and good ending. So well worth reading. Loved the characters and want to read more now!
Catherine
With a family like this, you can accomplish anything.

There is nothing better than a mystery to take your mind off stressful things. A mystery with an ostridge is even better. This one was impossible for me to figure out. So it did the job of keeping my mind engaged. Thank you.
Terrie Stamey
Jan 18, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Death & Decluttering

Loved this story. It went round and round at first, but finally the truth came out in the end! The two girls in the story started off not liking each other, but had to live with each other in the same house. Then there was a murder to solve as well! Just loved this fantastic story!
Terrie Stamey
Bekah Graham
Jun 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I couldn't stop reading

This was such an awesome mystery! I LOVED Philbert! ....what awesome twists and turns. I picked This book up this morning and instead of bed, 6 am comes early! I had to finish. It's 1 am! I can't wait for the next book
Jeni Neale
Aug 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Another great read by Nancy McGovern.

Absolutely brilliant 1st book of Nancy McGoverns new series. Loved the whole family especially Philbert. Away to read the next instalment xo
Jan
Oct 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
Murder mystery

The small town atmosphere, development of friendships & then murders provided an interesting storyline with unexpected twists. Entertaining book. I loved Philbert. Quick read I thoroughly enjoyed.
Ginger Adams
Dec 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
Too often I figure out the ending, but I didn't in this book.

I enjoyed the antics of the characters. Not guessing the ending before it was revealed made it much more interesting.
Patricia H. Phelps
Dec 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A Large Italian Family and Murder Years Ago

Amanda Sparks inherits half of a house and finds it comes with a roommate and her extensive family as well as murder. This is the first of a new series that is very good.
Shelley Halvorson
Jun 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Great book

This book was amazing. Can’t wait to read the next one in 5he series! Quick, easy read....suspenseful until the end.
Lynne Reglein
Jul 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
One of the best COZY mysteries ever. No chance to be ahead and guess who did it.
Cathy Anne
Jul 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Joy and Aurora

This book was a really great read. I never suspected how the end came about. I have read a lot of cozy mysteries and the only thing I find are some typos.
Rosemary Van
Jul 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This was a great mystery and inspired me to clean. What more could you ask for in a book. Very enjoyable reading.
Diane Aldrich
Loved it

Love the new book. Can't wait to read more about Aurora and Joy. The town sounds like the small town I grew up in.
Jan
Aug 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
Just fun

The book was a lot of fun to read. It was really a who dun it. I loved the twists and turns. It was fun getting to know the characters and I'm sure all of us either belong to a family like this or wished they did.

• Publishable By Death (St. Marin's Cozy Mystery #1)
  • Murder Between the Lines (Rooftop Garden Cozy Mysteries, #1)
  • Rose Petal Revenge (Claire's Candles Cozy Mystery #4)
  • A Cop and a Coop (Clucks and Clues Cozy Mysteries #1)
  • Abandon Mint (Sweet Shop Mystery #8)
  • Flip-Flops and Murder (Barefoot Sleuth #1)
  • Coconut Milk Casualty (Claire's Candles #3)
  • Kicked the Bucket (Chelsea Lawson #3)
  • Granny Smith is Dead (Apple Orchard Cozy #5)
  • Murder and Mozzarella (A Terrified Detective Mystery Book 6)
  • Pancakes and Parrots (Pelican Cove, #11)
  • The Last Resort (Flamingo Realty #7)
  • Cream Caramel and Murder (Holly Holmes Cozy Culinary Mystery Series Book 1)
  • Too Many Crooks Spoil the Plot (A Ditie Brown Mystery #1)
  • Sweets of Fire (Sweet Shop #7)
  • Black Cherry Betrayal (Claire's Candles #2)
  • Miss Spelled (The Kitchen Witch, #1)
  • March Street Murder
I'm a mother, wife, homemaker, pet lover, teacher, student, reader, writer, drinker of tea & wine (depending on the time of day) and sleep-deprived dreamer. I live in Syracuse, NY, with my husband, Doug (also a writer with books available on Amazon), our three children and too many furred & feathered friends to list! ...more

Sparks & Joy (3 books)
  • Alibis & Arranging (Sparks & Joy #2)
  • Suspects & Sorting (Sparks & Joy #3)